Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Maine: The Return - The Longest Day

6/21/14
Mars Hill, Maine (Mars Hill Mountain)

If ever there was a time to say, “Oh yeah, that’s the stuff,” it would be now.  Sitting atop Mars Hill Mountain, puffing on an ESG, watching the first sunrise in the country (lower 48) on the first day of summer, this is truly a blissful experience.  I am literally typing blind, so I will need to go back and proofread.  I don’t even care the damage staring directly at the sun might be doing to my eye.  It was a treacherous and steep climb, but it wasn’t that long.  My cell phone flashlight provided ample light, and the path was easy to follow.  Once I got to the ridge, I lit up my ESG and walked along to the summit.  I got all the way to the top with plenty of time to spare.  I saw that people had carved and burned their name into the lean-to, so I did the same, leaving my mark.  There was plenty of time until sunrise, but I wasn’t sure about the best spot.  I didn’t think I would be able to see the sunrise from the true summit due to the tees, but the clearing a few feet below was perfect, so I found the best spot.  It was really clouldy, and I feared that I might not get to see it.

Then, it happened.  At 4:36 AM, I saw the first glimmer of the sun through the cloud bank, 2 minutes before West Quoddy Head, and I knew that I was the first person, of 300 million in the lower 48 states to see the sun rise today, the first day of summer.  It was truly magical.  I took a bunch of pictures and sent them to practically everyone I know.  Just one small note before I close.  The previous entry was written at about 2 AM last night.  I say last night since there a few things that can cause me to change the date on the entry, such as sleeping after midnight, seeing the new day on my watch face, watching “Married… with Children” on TBS, or the sunrise.  Since I hadn’t done any of the others, by the very nature of this adventure, I can now do this entry with a new date and call the previous one last night.  I was about to leave when I remembered that I wanted to write this entry, and then I saw the sun rising fully above the cloud bank, so I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now go back and edit and close before I finally take my nap, though I’m not sure I need it, and might just head straight to St. Croix Island IHS.


At sea, Mink, Blue Hill Bay

When I was driving last night, every time I told myself that there was only X time left until I got to the mountain, I would always have to remind myself that it would then be followed by the hike to the top of the mountain, the hike back, and then this hellish 11 hours of driving.  Hellish is an understatement, and I am only halfway done with the driving.  Here aboard the boat that will take me to the Ranger Station that has the last stamp I need for my Acadia brochure, I can scarcely believe that I was in the office just 24 hours ago.  After I closed, I made my way back down to the car, eating a Quest bar en route.  I lit up a Jugar cigar I think it was closed, planning to take my nap either at St. Croix or after the cigar.  Big mistake.  As soon as I lit up, I knew that I would not be able to finish the cigar without falling asleep at the wheel.  I had about 2 hours to spare for stops and Dutch time, so I pulled into a rest stop, put my cigar on top of the car, and set the alarm for an hour later.  I don’t know if I fell asleep, but I was wide awake 20 minutes later.  I stopped for gas and then went to the McDonald’s drive through, getting the steak and egg, along with a coffee.  I’m quite sure it was the first time I ever had McDonald’s and a cigar while driving.  I finished the cigar and was soon at St. Croix Island IHS.

I had to be very careful not to accidentally drive into Canada, since I did not want to deal with the hassle of crossing back and forth and dealing with BSA and CBP.  The gift shop at the VC was lacking, but I got the stamped brochure, which was what mattered.  I lit up my Padron and walked along the path.  There was no public access to the island, but you could see it from the end of the path.  For better or worse, I had established a precedent, checking off an NPS if I can see the site if it is not publically accessible, so long as I get the stamped brochure.  Then, another long drive to the ferry dock, more naps, and lunch at a lobster shack.  That might be one of my favorite things about Maine, all the roadside shacks.

After I had lunch, I lit up an LFD and got back on the road.  My mother had sent me an email about another summer trip, which threw a wrench in my entire summer travel schedule.  I was going to respond at the red light, but I saw a notice on console that said incoming call from [her number].  I pressed a button, and her voice came crystal clear through the sound system, and she could hear me fine.  It was amazing.  I suppose most modern cars can do it, actually.  We ended the conversation agreeing that that this would hardly be our last trip to Maine, since we both loved it so much.  For her, it is the beaches and the water.  For me, it is the mountains and the trees.  With about 15 minutes left to the dock, I realized that I was starting to fall asleep.  Twice I almost nodded off and swerved into the shoulder.  I didn’t want to pull over so close to the dock, so I used all of my remaining energy to focus on getting safely to the dock.  I was there soon enough, and I bought my ticket.  I then went back to my car and passed out for about an hour, definitely falling asleep this time, waking up refreshed.  The five-hour drive back to my aunt’s house tonight should be tough, but there are no more time crunches, just the one on the island.  As soon as the boat took off, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.


Brookline, Massachusetts


Today is the longest day of the year, and it sure as hell felt like it.  It has been 40 hours since I have slept in a bed, only getting a total of 2 hours napping in the car, and, in the 32 hours since I left the rental car station, I have done 1100 miles of driving, smoked a dozen cigars, and hiked for 4 hours.  I have seen a glorious sunset, and I have gotten two very important NPS stamps.  I have not, however, been able to properly define chemistry.  I am unwilling to give it the Clarence Thomas definition, so, for now, I am stuck with the interaction of “style” definition.  I will continue to consider it as I drive tomorrow, but I think the proper question might better be left to the psychologists and not the philosophers.  It is not yet midnight, and I can scarcely believe that the sunrise was this morning.  It seems so long ago.  The whole day was a blur.

After I closed on the boat, I went to the gift shop to get a replica of the lighthouse on the island.  They didn’t have replicas, but she tried to give me directions to walk to the lighthouse.  I pretended to listen politely, not telling her that I had no desire to see the lighthouse unless I would be adding a replica to my collection.  I then proceeded to the ranger station to get that final stamp.  I will mention, however, that, I realized that I did not have the park headquarters’ stamp, but I actually don’t think they have their own stamp.  This trip is supposed to be a parallel to the one I took with my mom last year the same weekend.  During that trip, I had smoked the Cubans I brought back from my Passover trip, so it was only fitting that I lit up a Cuban from this year’s Passover trip as I announced, “Acadia Complete,” adding “for now” in case I needed to get the HQ stamp.  I went on a little hike, managing to step in some deep mud and getting my shoe very wet and dirty.  I made my way back to the boat with plenty of time and ditched my Hoyo as I was waiting.

The boat ride back was unadventurous, and stopped at a restaurant for dinner.  I got a fried seafood platter, which was overpriced and not that good.  I should have just stopped at one of the shacks.  They were out of blueberry pie, which was just as well, since I stopped at a little bakery for coffee and a blueberry cobbler.  I ate far more of it than I should have, saving some more for after I finished the Aurora I had lit up.  I was trying to coordinate with my mother for our plans tomorrow, but she had found herself in the quiet car.  Rather than moving to a regular car, she thought it would be a better idea to email back and forth with me, as if driving 1100 miles on almost no sleep was not hard enough on it’s own.  At the next stop, she moved, or so she said, and then we got disconnected.  The service was back up, but she was no longer picking up the phone.  She instead sent me another long email and had moved back to the quiet car, not she had any desire to sit in the quiet car.  Finally, she said that she didn’t really care what we did and that I could just plan something.  I asked her why she didn’t just say that in her first email.  The reason I bring this up is that I know “winging” it never works, and I didn’t want to have to plan either late at night when I got home or in the morning, which would cut into our day, and trying to plan it by email was as dangerous as it was inefficient.  My frustration over this was quickly turning to anger at her irrationality, and it wiped out all the pleasure I had gotten from the day.  Recency always trumps primacy when it comes to emotions.  

It was then that I saw it.  A sign that Augusta was 10 miles away.  I had planned to include Augusta with my October Canada trip so that I could start off the trip by saying “New England Complete,” but it seemed foolish to put it off, especially since all of the New England trips had been ones either partially or entirely with my mother, so it would be fitting for this one to be the one where I said “New England Complete.”  I called an audible, which I almost never do, and I quickly entered the State House into the GPS, which showed a 8:12 PM arrival, but when was sunset?  My phone did not have data service, and I was frantically refreshing it.  That’s when I saw the blue lights behind me.  My heart stopped.  Was I being busted?  Nope, he kept going past me.  I breathed a sigh of relief and then saw that sunset was at 8:26 PM.

I suppose that before I continue, I should note that my cousin just walked in to the kitchen where I am writing this entry.  She is absolutely gorgeous, and she seems to have only gotten prettier since the last time I saw her.  She is certainly no longer the little girl that I used to tease.  Okay, back to Augusta.  I will also add that I was planning on writing an entry from Augusta, as I like to do from each Capitol, but my laptop was at 8% the charge when I checked on the boat, so it had to be less now.  At 5% it won’t function.  It was then that I realized I had brought the wrong charger.  I didn’t have to look at it.  I remembered from when I put it in the glove compartment, but I didn’t realize it until then.  I knew that I would have only chance to tranfer the Travelogue off somehow, but how to do it?  As soon as I got into the city, I saw a scaffolding over the dome, and I was forced to laugh, knowing that it would ruin the picture, though it would not stop me from saying “Maine Complete,” which I did, adding that it would be New England Complete tomorrow.  All the anger and frustration I had felt disappeared and was replaced by the thrill of being able to say “New England Complete.”    I also had successfully managed to copy the Travelogue to my phone, the laptop dying seconds later.

I lit up my Gurkha, which I knew would be the last cigar of the night, ditching it as soon as got over the New Hampshire border.  By the numbers, I spent 26 hours in Maine, 4 hours for the sunrise, 4 hours for the stamp, 1 hour eating and gassing up, 2 hours napping, and 15 hours driving, not to mention the 4 hours of driving that took me to Maine and the 1 hour from the border to Brookline, for a total 21 hours of driving over the course of this 32-hour jaunt.  I gassed up, got lost, made it towards Boston, took a wrong turn, which added a few extra minutes, and finally found myself in the Synagogue parking lot.  As I was leaving the parking lot, I almost walked right into a pole.  I commented to myself on the irony of driving safely for 1100 miles only to walk into a pole.

I walked to their building, reminding myself that it was the second identical looking building on the block.  I walked in and was about to press the buzzer when I realized that it did not say “Hamilton/Block.”  I walked out, saying, “Oh, so it’s the THIRD identical looking building.”  Sure enough, it was.  My mother, aunt, and uncle were all waiting for me, and my aunt was practically a zombie.  She perfunctorily asked what I wanted to eat because she is a good host, and, since this is a bacon-free home, I settled for cheese.  She also set me up with my cousin’s (not the gorgeous cousin, her brother) laptop, but it was a Mac, and it could not read my phone.  I wound up emailing to myself, and just deleting everything but this entry and last night’s.  I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get to sleep, perchance to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment