Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, April 8, 2016

Flanders - Day 0 - Knowledge versus Realization

“Flanders”


4/8/15, “Knowledge versus Realization”
Aboard DL 48, En route JFK-AMS


This trip will be the shortest overseas (outside of the Americas) trip I will have ever taken.  I knew this.  Until today, I did not realize this.  It will be the first time I have been travelled to mainland Europe since I was 26, over a year and a half ago.  I knew this.  Until today, I did not realize this.  Two weeks ago, when I first wrote from Columbia, South Carolina, I noted in passing this theme, the difference between knowledge and realization.  Two days ago, I discussed this idea over dinner with my grandfather, almost to the point where it became a gag between us to joke whether we merely did not know something or didn’t realize it.  Now, en route to Antwerp, a trip designed around setting foot inside the home of the Games of the VI Olympiad, and reliving the title of the movie “In Bruges”, I want to focus more on that theme.

It was either Ayn Rand or Aristotle who said something to the effect of, “Do not accept as true that which you cannot incorporate into your existing knowledge set without contradiction.”  That is a great quote, and it opens the door to this theme.  Your incorporated existing knowledge set are all the things that you have realized as true.  The new piece of information, yes, you know it, but you do not realize it until you have incorporated into your existing knowledge set.  Reader, just think how much floating knowledge you must have in your mind, all the things that you know but do not fully realize as true.

I know every single trip I have taken, but, until I thought back and really examined what I knew and incorporated it as a knowledge set, I did not come to realize as true the statements in the opening paragraph above.  How many times have you either said or heard something like, “Oh, right, I knew that,” or, “Yeah, I think you might have told me that.”  Both of those statements are a direct admission of something that you knew but did not realize.  There are many reasons why we might absorb a piece of knowledge but not fully incorporate it, whether out of apathy or absentmindedness, but that is a topic I will leave to the psychologists.

My analysis is a philosophical one, borne out of epistemology.  There are so many depths to the epistemological questions, and we can ask ourselves questions about how we know things or question the sources of our knowledge, and I do not intend to write an epistemological thesis.  I wrote one in Junior High, and the points in that thesis still stand.  This is about how we incorporate the knowledge we have obtained, and I do not need to debate synthetic and analytical truths, whether we can have a priori knowledge of synthetic truths, or whether we can ever know Kant’s three basic questions of God, Freedom, and the Immortal Soul.  I have discussed those topics in enough depth in previous entries and essays.

What I am interested in is how we often ignore the knowledge we have legitimately obtained, how we so often don’t know what we know, as it Secretary Rumsfeld might have quipped.  I ask my reader to think of times in their lives when they came to realize that they had known something without realizing and to be mindful of the next time it happened and ask themselves why it happened, why they did not incorporate that particular piece of knowledge into their existing knowledge set.

For me, with these examples, it is because there were so many variables and difference analyses that could be performed on my existing travel set, such as, oh, I haven’t been to a country that begins with the letter bee other than Belgium, and now I’m going back, even though I have never been to Bolivia or Bulgaria or Belarus or Bahrain.  Yes, I am saying that The Bahamas begins with a tee and not a bee.  That is a meaningless piece of information, just a curious fact of travel, so there is no reason I would have incorporated it into my knowledge set, likewise with the statements in my opening paragraph.

Anyway, enough about this topic, and onto Day 0, though, as has become my habit, I will begin with recounting Night -1.  I got home in time for the Warriors game, against the Spurs.  It is entirely possible that the Warriors will end the season with the best record in NBA history, and the Spurs are on track to have the fifth best record in NBA history.  It was truly the clash of the titans, and I stayed up to watch every minute of it.  The Warriors made the Spurs look like a college basketball team, and a low-seeded one at that.  I had done everything required to get ready for the morning, other than actually put my stuff in the suitcase.

I woke up early enough, but I took too long getting ready and was a little late to work.  I didn’t take a real lunch break, and I got everything done for the day that I needed to get done.  I had some pizza in the fridge, so that was my lunch, but I just had one slice, not the roll as well.  At 4 PM, done with my work and rearing to go, I left the office.  I headed to the cigar shop and lit a Perdomo.  It was a good crowd, and I smoked it for an hour before heading to the airport.  It was a bit of a struggle to get a cab, and I wound up sharing a cab with someone who needed to be let off by the bridge.  I would usually take the tunnel, but it didn’t really add much time, certainly less than losing the cab fight and having to take the next cab would have added.

She was actually kinda chatty (and cute), and I told her about my trip, my desire to see every Olympic Stadium.  I always knew that I would be making this trip, I suppose ever since I snuck into the Tokyo Stadium.  It was at that point that setting foot inside every Olympic Stadium became a reality.  I was going to have to bite the bullet and spend an obscene amount of money for a trip to primarily set foot inside a Stadium that I had previously seen from the outside.  Actually, the same could be said about Athens next month, but I will also be going to Rhodes as part of that trip.  I had seen both Athens Stadiums from the outside, but I did not go inside.  We got to the airport at 6:30 PM, which was fine for my 8 PM flight, but it would not give me time to write my entry.  I had PreCheck, so I breezed through security, but I was starving.  I was wondering what I’d do for eats as I headed to my gate.  Then I saw it.

What did I see?  A memory.  A very good memory.  A year and a half ago, on the day of my 27th Birthday, I had lunch with someone who is very special to me.  At the time, I would have described her something between a crush and an old friend.  Now I consider to be my best friend.  I hadn’t seen her since the summer I had met her two years prior, and we arranged to have lunch together.  My readers will recall my now forgotten tradition of having my pre-departure lunch at Hop Won.  This was a dear friend I hadn’t seen in over two years.  I was not going to take her to Hop Won.  We, instead, had a great meal at Pershing Square Café.  I will refer my reader to the entry “27th Birthday Bash – Day 0 – Old Friends” for more details.  Anyway, I bring this up not to coo over a friendship that has waxed a great deal since then.  No, I bring it up because, not having had my Chinese food, I wound up getting dinner before my flight to Barcelona at the Panda Express in JFK Terminal 4, Concourse B.  That was the memory I saw this evening.

That was, of course, where I got dinner tonight, in no small part because that trip was the last time I went to mainland Europe.  I could also draw a comparison between Flanders and Catalonia, but suffice it to say, the goal of this trip will be to say, “Flanders Complete,” which requires me, in addition to setting foot inside the Olympic Stadium, to visit sites in Antwerp and in Bruges.  I got to the gate, and scarfed down my meal, not having had a bite to eat (other than the egg roll I ate on the way to the gate) since around 1 PM, six hours past.  I was starving.  The flight was slightly delayed and overbooked.  They offered a very large reward for anyone who wanted to take a later flight.  I would have accepted it, but it would have meant that I didn’t get to set foot inside the Olympic Stadium, so I passed.

Once I got on the plane, I picked out a movie to watch: “Sixteen Candles”.  Molly Ringwald truly was the queen of the 80s.  Who else even came close?  I had never seen the movie before, but I loved it.  It was hilarious, and, well, I won’t give away the ending, but the theme of knowledge versus realization played out.  After the movie was over they were serving dinner, but I was too stuffed from my Panda Express.  I just opted for a Diet Coke and, later, a coffee.  Once the credits were finished, I opted for some light classical music and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get a few hours of sleep before we land in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment