Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Mayan Run (Or: Racism)

4/16/14
En route, CA-9, Guatemala

I suppose this is as fitting of a dateline as any to head today’s entry, since it is where I will be spending more waking hours than anywhere else.  Only seasoned readers of my Travelogue will understand the intricacies of today’s entry, so I encourage any first time readers to read the entries for 4/14/14 and 4/15/14 before proceeding.  There is an old poem that goes something like “For want of a nail, a shoe was lost.  For want of a shoe, a horse was lost.  For want of a horse, a rider was lost.  For want of a rider, a battle was lost.  For want of a battle, a kingdom was lost.  For want of a nail, a kingdom was lost.”  For me, the poem might be “For want of a suit, my 30 Goals were lost.”

We woke up and quickly got a move on, getting on the road right at 5AM as planned.  Last night, I had come up with a great plan.  I would leave the minibar key and a cigar band next to my cell phone.  I had left my cheese in the fridge and my suit in the closet.  Since today would be the only day where I would not have to cross an international border, I would not need to wear my suit, and I could wear casual clothes.  That meant that I would need to bring my suit with me and not forget it in the closet.  By leaving the minibar key and cigar band next my cell phone, I would remember to get the cheese out of the fridge, and I would put the cigar band in the pocket of me suit, which would mean I could not forget it.  It was a perfect plan, or so I thought.  I lit up a Punch, and we stopped at a gas station for bottled water, which I much needed to refill my water bottle, gas, and batteries.  I looked around for some meat, but they didn’t have any ready.  I thought I might have some of my cheese, which was in my suit pocket.  By the time we got back to the car, I decided that I wasn’t hungry, so I forwent the cheese, and we continued on our way.

The basic route of the trip, after the first few kilometers, would be to take CA-9 for 250km, followed by CA-13 for 250km, which would take us right up to the park entrance.  I decided that I would drive on CA-9, we’d get lunch, and then Fernando would drive on CA-13.  I will clear up a point of potential confusion.  I keep talking about CA-4 Complete.  In that context, CA-4 are the 4 Central American countries we are visiting, so called because they have entered into a customs/border agreement.  CA-9 and CA-13 are highway numbers.  Fernando had to take a U, so we pulled into a gas station.  It was at that point I realized what was missing.  My suit.  This was not like the shirt I left in Key West, which, after a moment of panic, I was able to have mailed to me from the hotel.  No, I would need this suit tomorrow morning, and there was no way to get it, except for one.  We would have to drive back.  “Fuck,” I announced.  While Fernando took his U, I put the hotel back in the GPS, and I was pleased to see that we were only about 30 minutes away.  Figuring city traffic and the time I would need to get the suit, I estimated it would add about an hour and a half to our trip, which meant an hour and a half less time at Tikal.  I had budgeted about 4-5 hours there, but this now meant we were looking at a 3PM arrival, if everything went according to plan.  Of course, not everything went according to plan.  There is always a Plan B, but, in this case, the Plan B was a very shitty one and would have made today’s long drive to Tikal and tomorrow’s drive from Tikal pointless, along with wasting an entire day.  Fernando thought that the park might have closed as early as 4PM, which left us less than an hour of Dutch Time, and we hadn’t eaten, and we would need another tank of gas.  It was not looking good.

I lit up a Davidoff Colorado, and we were back on the road, having minimal difficulty getting out of the city before we were back on CA-9.  Then we hit the traffic.  It was very bad traffic, so I decided we’d stop for breakfast, figuring that it couldn’t get any worse.  I was wrong.  However, we also learned that the park was open until 6PM, but I did not want to arrive there at 5:45 PM and hope for the best.  I had these delicious fried pork skins, and I lit up a Padron before getting back on the road.  The traffic got worse.  I was vigorously calculating how much traffic we might hit, figuring we could afford an hour of traffic.  Traffic can’t last forever, can it?  It came to a complete standstill a few times.  I calmed myself down, saying that, until the GPS said 4PM, I would not panic.  That would allow us enough Dutch Time to get to the park by 4:45 PM.  Puffing on my plugged Padron, I managed to calm down.  Soon enough, the traffic broke.  It turned out that there was an accident, which can really fuck up highways with one lane in each direction.  That was that.  We had an arrival time of 3:45 PM, and everything was starting to look all right.  I said that we could switch after I finished my Padron, which would be around 10AM.

I hit the nail right on the head, and it also coincided with us passing another one of those towns that slows down traffic.  It was the perfect place to pull over and switch, which we did.  I grabbed my computer, and proceeded to write this entry.  Back en route, having written this entry to put it all in perspective, it all seems so insignificant.  We are looking good on time, though we are not nearly out of the woods, and we are well fed.  If need be, other than gas, we can drive straight to the park.  It is now showing 95km to CA-13, which I hope will be a better road than this one, especially since it is more remote.  I will save the philosophical section for tonight’s portion of the entry and now close.

Tikal, Guatemala
In Saint Lucia, I said that it was sometimes about the journey, sometimes about the destination, sometimes about the perfect souvenir, and sometimes about that one perfect photo.  Like that day that I tried to climb the Pitons, today was about all four.  Writing this entry in the heart of the Mayan city of Tikal, staring at the nomination photo of the WHS, some replicas in my tour guide’s backpack, and smoking a Cohiba Siglo II, I can say that today went well.  It was a true Munich Run in every sense of the word.  After I closed, I decided that I would try to take a nap.  It didn’t take.  I was too worried.  We kept hitting more and more traffic, that 4:45 PM deadline looking more and more unlikely.  I think I lit up another cigar, though I can’t remember which or if I did.  Each time we came to small town, traffic came to a standstill as people slowed down to pass through the town.  Fernando drove like a maniac, making up precious minutes where he could, doubling his tip in the process.  The GPS got closer and closer to that 4:45 PM arrival time, and we still had to stop for gas.

I am fuzzy on all the details of the drive, since stress blurred everything in my mind.  The crux of it was, I realized that there was nothing that I could do about.  Fernando knew how important it was to me to get there on time, and he would do his best.  A different man would leave his hands to God.  That was not an option for me.  I took a nap, hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.  I woke up with a start as I heard my cigars come crashing to the floor.  There was an unpainted speed bump.  I knew that no more sleep would come, but Lo!  Our GPS was still right around that 4:30 PM mark, and, behold! there was no more traffic.  Fernando announced that we were now in the jungle and that it would be smooth driving from then on out.

For the first time today, I finally appreciated the beauty of where I was and took copious pictures of our surroundings.  We stopped for gas and food at the next gas station, and I lit up a Tatuaje Monster.  I then saw the sign that made my heart cheer, “Welcome to Peten,” which I knew to be the department where the park was located.  We had to go through an agricultural in inspection, which cost us 3 minutes and our mango, but we were on good time.  Soon enough, I saw the entrance to the park, and we congratulated one another.  Sure, it was mostly an issue of him making up for me forgetting the suit, but we did it.  We had plenty of time, or so I thought.

We first had to drive to the parking lot, and then there was a substantial walk to the plaza, the place where the nomination photo was taken.  I knew that we could make it to the site before dark to get the picture, but getting back could be a problem.  I had estimated 50 minutes to the site.  I had wanted to write this entry here, but that would not be an option if we were short on time.  The souvenir shops would close before we got back, so I loaded up, though I hate doing it in that order.  We were told it was 25 minutes to the Gran Plaza, and I told Fernando that would give us just enough time to take a picture and turn around, but that was okay with me.  Twelve hours of driving and an hour of walking, just to take a picture and turn around?  A-okay if it’s the perfect picture.

As we were walking, we saw a monkey, and that meant I could also check off the natural part of the site, since it was a mixed inscription.  Score.  I grabbed my cigar case to light up my Cohiba, but the case fell.  The one cigar that hit the ground and cracked?  My Cohiba.  “That’s not good,” I announced, just like the rest of the day, but, like the rest of the day, it all worked out in the end.  All’s well that ends well.  We made our way, and I christened the site by taking a U in the jungle portion.  It only took us 15 minutes to get to the site, which left me 20 minutes to write this entry.  I showed Fernando the nomination photo and said, “You know the drill.  We recreate this photo.”  He knew the drill and helped me find the spot, which was midway up one of the other pyramids and where I am now sitting.  He took my picture, and I took his.  He asked to be excused, which was fine so that I could have some peace, and I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, since it is now exactly 5:30 PM, the time we need to turn around, and my cigar is done.  The philosophy section will follow tonight.

San Jose (El Peten), Guatemala
Despite what I wrote earlier, as we left Tikal, I was planning on publishing as is with no philosophy section, yet sometimes entries write themselves.  The Mayan run, as I will now be calling it was adventure enough, but I would be remiss not include these thoughts.  The first part will be about attraction.  I have waned and waxed enough about the gorgeous girl from my high school will always be my Form of Beauty.  There is no need to further expand.  She was smart, independent-thinking, Jewish, white, petite, and about 5’7”.  I say this because I am singularly attracted to smart, independent-thinking, Jewish, white, petite girls between 5’3” and 5’11”.  I have a type, and the type is women who remind me of that girl from high school.  I very consciously avoid applying a Freudian analysis to this.

I want to focus on just one of those words: white.  One might think someone as well-travelled as I would have tastes in women that are as varied as his tastes in foreign cultures.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I bring this up because I saw something today that shocked me only because it had been missing since I landed: attractive, (non-Hispanic) white women.  That is not to say that I did not see attractive locals, just that I was not truly attracted to them.  I could never be attracted to a black or Asian woman.  Does that make me racist?  If I said that I could never be attracted to someone who wasn’t Jewish, no one would give it a second thought.  If I said that I could never be attracted to an idiot or someone who couldn’t think for themselves, people might not believe me, but I would not be condemned for it.  If I said that I am only attracted to petite women between 5’3” and 5’11”, people would not judge me for that, either.  However, if I were to say that I don’t find black women attractive, that would open myself to judgment.

I would never apply race or religion or gender to my business relations, my friendships, or almost any area of my daily life, except for this one area.  When I say that I am singularly attracted to white, Jewish women, why does the word white draw the most attention?  I had once argued that the people who decry racism are the people who are most secretly racist in their hearts.  Is it because I am saying something others are afraid to say?  Would someone else, unable to say the words, “I am not attracted to black women (or white men or Muslims, since I see no distinction),” just look for other reasons to reject such a woman?  Would they enter into such a relationship knowing how much they despise that woman?  I’m sure such things happen all the time.

Racism is something we feel in our hearts.  Discrimination is the action we take based on racism.  I maintain that there is nothing wrong with racism if we do not act upon it, if there is no discrimination.  Many of the people I mention who so decry racism probably do so because they are racist in their hearts.  They want to remove it from their heart, so they promote programs that curve the steel back in the other direction, completely missing the point.  If they would instead accept the way they feel and resolve not to act on it, we would not have programs such as affirmative action, Black History Month, and whatever else this “white guilt” causes to try and undo material causes of racism.

I hold that there is no such thing as black rights, gay rights, minority rights, women’s rights.  Only an individual can have rights.  A class cannot have rights, other than the collective rights of each individual member.  That is the way I live my life, treating each individual person with the respect and love that they have earned through their actions and values.  Then, why could I never be in love with a black woman?  For the same reason I could never be in love with a white man.  Any further discussion of this matter would be too far beyond of the scope of this Travelogue.


After I closed in Tikal, we made our way back to civilization, acutely aware that we did not want to be caught here after dark.  The souvenir stands were still opened, so I got another replica.  As we drove out, it got steadily darker, and it was pitch black by the time we got to the restaurant right by the turn-off to the hotel.  So glad we had made it to the site in time, I told Fernando I was paying for dinner.  There was a suspension bridge that led from the restaurant to the lookout point, and it was quite an adventure to get there and back, especially given the broken step about halfway through.  I said that we survived “the broken suspension bridge: The Experience,” and he replied that it was more like a challenge.  I immediately thought of the Captain.

During our meal, I smoked a Heisenberg Uncertainty, both to represent smoking away the uncertainty of the Mayan Run to Tikal and the coming uncertainty of getting to the hotel, and he spoke about his life story.  He grew up in Tegucigalpa and moved to San Salvador when he was 18 to study Anthropology.  He “got a girl pregnant” and dropped out to help support them.  They separated, and now he is going back to school in his final year.  He wants to be a tour guide full-time, but he would much rather have a job doing anthropological research, jobs that are few and far between in Central America.  My respect for him grew.  He then spoke about cultural values, which was the theme of last night’s entry, saying how he worked for a call center, and it taught him how Americans value things that are not valued in his culture, such as customer service and punctuality.  He said it was hard for him to understand how important punctuality is to an American.

On the flip side, I am always shocked by how little some foreign cultures value punctuality.  It goes back to my entry from the Dry Tortugas where I said that I am a man of my word.  Just as if I say I am going to do something, I do it, if I say that I will be somewhere at a certain time, I will, or I will let the person know I’m running late.  It is a matter of common courtesy, and I am shocked when people, even my own mother, do otherwise.  I suppose that I could continue on about the difference in cultural values around the world, but I have done that numerous times, and it has been played out.  It was just refreshing finding such a sharp analysis of that from this bright tour guide I found entirely by chance.

After dinner, we headed to the hotel, which was an adventure moving the car and bags multiple times to get to the room, along with two very bumpy rides in the luggage truck.  We tried to plan our trip to Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve for the day after tomorrow with no luck.  I am fully prepared to apply the Darien exception if need be, but it is a last resort, though I kind of what to do it to better establish the precedent in case I need it for Iceland and Hawaii.  After that, I uploaded my photos, headed outside, lit my Avo with lighters that desperately need gas, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.  Oh, the cigar I forgot was a Drew Estate Undercrown.


The original Munich Run:

7/17/13
Munich, Germany

From henceforth, I shall no longer call them Mole Runs but rather Munich Runs.  My race to the Olympic Stadium in Munich made the original Mole Run seem like a trip to the grocery store.  Nothing has ever compared, nor will anything likely.  I am now sitting down to dinner at the First Class section of Restaurant 181, a Michelin starred experience 181 meters (600 feet) above Munich.  There are only 4 tables here, and I am spinning around right in the heart of Olympiapark overlooking the whole of the city from above while I enjoy a glass of Hofbrau, one of the best known Bavarian beers, pretending to be Dr. Steven Margolin of the Philosophy Department at Patrick Henry University.  I guess I should start from last night.  [Snip through a day of racing head from site to site and skip forward the afternoon, my race to get to the Munich Stadium before it closed.]  Anyway, I hit some bad traffic getting into Nuremburg.  It is a major city with a typical rush hour.  I definitely felt a sense of something when I entered the city limits.  It wasn’t joy or triumph, but it was definitely something.  I sat in the courtroom and made a few corny jokes to myself before I left.  I grabbed a Fanta from a shop my car and entered the church in Regenberg as my destination.  It showed a 6PM arrival, the exact time I estimated that the church would close.  Unfortunately, I hit the typical small town issues getting from the highway exit to the church, and I was few minutes too late.  I figured that the name of the inscription was “Old Town of Regenberg with Stadtamhof,” not “Remeneberg and it Cathedral,” so I counted the site, even though I got no souvenir, no plaque, and no brochure.  It is a good precedent to set.  I lit up my cigar, took a few pictures, walked around a bit, and got back in the car, entering the Olympic Stadium as my address.  I estimated that I would need 15 minutes in the stadium plus add an extra 15 minutes for lights and other horseshit associated with city driving.  My GPS showed a 7:35 PM arrival, 25 minutes before closing time.  It was good.  [Snip useless comment about Facebook.]  Anyway, as soon as I pulled out, it adjusted for traffic and showed a 7:56 PM arrival time, but the traffic jam was 76 km away, so it might have dissipated by the time I hit it.  I figured that if I was able to set foot inside the ticket booth by 8PM and someone was there, I could bribe them with a large banknote to let me stay for 30 minutes, but, if they were gone after 8PM, there was nothing that could be done.  I added 8 minutes getting out of the city, so I was now past that 8PM arrival time.  I absolutely floored it as soon as I hit the Autobahn, 210 km/h the whole time, the fastest my car would let me go.  I divided my time between thinking about contingency plans for hitting Munich at some other point during the trip and how this would always be the new Mole Run.  By the time I made the turn to Munich, I had made up about 10 minutes, allowing me to most likely arrive in time to make the bribe, but my GPS indicated that I was in the middle of a traffic jam.  I didn’t see any traffic, and I figured that I had avoided it, but I turned out to be wrong.  Sure enough, traffic was jammed up about 1 km later with no end in sight.  It wound up adding 15 minutes to my trip, with an estimated 8:06 PM arrival time, way too late to do a bribe.  Fortunately, it told me it was sending me on alternate route, which would get me in at 7:45 PM.  Unfortunately, that route had red lights and speed limits, so it was 7:50 PM by the time I had arrived at the parking lot.  I thought it would be like Berlin, where I could just pull up by the Stadium and walk right to the ticket office.  Munich actually preserved the whole Olympic Park, which was cool, but it meant that I had to park far away, and I had some difficulty getting into the lot.  By the time I had gotten out of the lot, it was about 7:53 PM, and the stadium was a good kilometer away.  I ran, and I mean ran, with my water bottle in my hand and my camera beating against my leg.  I got to the ticket office, and it was 7:59 PM.  I asked if I could still walk around, and I was told that I only had one minute.  I took out a very large banknote, and he said, jokingly, that, for that banknote, I could stay as long as I wanted.  In all seriousness, I agreed, but they asked me if I had anything smaller.  I handed them an appropriate note, and they made change for me.  I didn’t even bother asking for a student discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment