Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, October 10, 2014

NE/NB/NY - Day 0 - Free Will

10/10/14
Portland, Maine


Having exhausted my philosophical musings on love during my previous trip and having come to the realization that the Greeks got it right, that there are four types of love (agape, eros, philia, and storge), and that any discourse that would try to come up with something that explains all four types in one manner is an exercise in futility, I will focus on a new topic for this trip, possibly the single most vexing philosophical topic in all of philosophy: free will.  In order to even begin to have a debate on free will, you have to answer three basic questions.  What is free will?  Does free will exist?  Is free will compatible with determinism?

I was telling Ryan and Emily last night that this was probably the one topic in philosophy where I didn’t know where I stood.  The physicist/engineer in me agrees with Hawking that the brain is made up of particles and that particles is follow the laws of physics so that free will is an illusion.  The philosopher in me disagrees and rejects it as too simplistic that the laws of physics that control the particles in my brain are what prevents me from jumping out of the 27th floor of my office building when I look down out the window.  At work today, I was thinking that there was a better way of looking at it.  Our actions are not random enough for it determinism to be true.  Whenever I leave for a trip, I always go to Hop Won for my last lunch before I leave.  That cannot be attributed to the laws of physics.  It can only be the result of my mind choosing to do it.

As I was driving today, I realized that I might have gotten it wrong there.  Maybe that is just how my brain is wired, to want that kind of consistency.  I’m sure all of my readers at one point in their lives have uttered the phrase, “I am not the kind of person that is capable of X.”  In that case, are you not simply saying, it is determined that I will never do X?  Are you not saying, the way the particles in my brain are wired prevent me from ever doing X?  Is that not a form of determinism?  I’m not going to even explore the quantum aspect of this other than to briefly mention that I considered that consciousness is us simply being aware of the effects of the quantum mechanics of the particles in our brain.  Under that theory, what we call free will would simply be the quantum choices that are made, according the laws of physics.

I rejected that since there is not enough randomness.  Why would I not have a burger lunch before I leave for a trip if quantum mechanics was what was making the decision for me?  It does not make any sense.  How is self-preservation explained by quantum mechanics?  Now, there are many arguments to be made in favor in determinism, and I could argue plenty myself.  However, I refuse to listen to any argument unless said proponent of determinism can first explain to me what consciousness is.  There can be no debate on determinism until that question is answered.  First, explain me to me how the laws of physics and interaction of particles give rise to consciousness.

I understand that is a very dangerous game to play since someone turn the argument around and then ask me how to explain consciousness without the existence of god.  I’m not sure how to answer that.  In fact, I can think of no explanation that allows for both atheism and free will libertarianism.  The only answer I can offer is that just because I am unable to explain it does not mean that it is not true.  It certainly does not offer any evidence to support the tradition Judeo-Christian view of god, but it does lend credence to the Cartesian idea of god.  It is on that note that I will end my meditations for today and move on to the adventures of the day.

I woke up relatively early, but I hadn’t packed last night, and there was so much to do get ready that I wound up being 12 minutes late to work (5, technically, since 9:07 is considered the latest I can arrive without being late).  My pants were not back from the cleaners yet, so I had to scramble to find my old grey suit.  I couldn’t find it.  Eventually, I realized that I had just repurposed that suit into a pair of slacks and a sports coat.  I had been wearing the suit pants all week and that jacket had come back from the cleaners earlier this week.  I was in such a rush that I wound up forgetting two things.  I realized I had forgotten my coat as soon as I walked out the door, but I was already running late, and I didn’t want to turn around.  I figured that I could just tough it out.

It was a busy and funny day at work, and I wound up making up the 15 minutes at the end, staying past our 3:30 PM official closing time.  I got my usual at Hop Won for my pre-departure lunch.  As I was eating and thinking about all the pre-departure lunches I had there, I realized that I had forgotten something else, something that I could just tough out: my passport.  I biked to my apartment, got my passport and coat, and went back to the office, and I finished my day at work, spending too much time joking with Young about cigars before we reviewed the last proposal.  There was a 4:21 PM train and a 4:42 PM train.  I would be taking the 4:42 PM train.  I picked up some Quest bars as I headed to the cigar store, and I bought a few additional cigars to supplement my stash.  I lit up the Tattoo, and finished it with enough time to make the train.

I realized that I had forgotten to transfer my photos to my computer and was stuck with over 1000 photos on my phone and no way of backing them up to anything other than the computer I was bringing with me.  I also forgot to refill my water bottle and my lighter.  I forgot a lot of things today.  The train was crowded, and I transferred my photos to my laptop during the ride.  I got my car, got situated, and got on the road.  I lit up my Nic Toro, which is always my first cigar of the first long drive of my trip, and I soon hit some traffic.  It didn’t matter.  All was well.  I was happy, I was listening to Frozen, and I had my Nic Toro.  After the traffic cleared, I stopped at a Burger King not far off the road, but the drive through line took like 10 minutes.  I ate as I drove, and I lit up my Avo, putting on Les Miz.  After I finished the Avo, I had a Quest bar and lit up a La Duena.

I did not finish that cigar by the time I got to my hotel, but I sat in my car for a minutes and browsed Facebook.  I saw that one of the guys from my Birthright trip had posted that he was eating a restaurant on Fore Street.  My hotel was on Fore Street.  Was it the same Fore Street in Portland?  It was.  I messaged him, but he had already left Portland by the time he saw it.  It was too cold to smoke outside, and I didn’t want to sit in the car for 20 minutes.  I wound up sneaking the cigar up to my room, and I had a smoking room, so that was good.  I took my time getting settled in as I finished the cigar.  I then lit up an Ardor and proceeded to write this entry.  The bowl smoked way to fast, so I refilled it.  The second bowl is smoking slower but still too fast.  It is now 1:30 AM, so I will close.  I can take my time in the morning, but I would like to get a decent night’s sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment