Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, October 13, 2014

NE/NB/NY - Day 3 - New York

10/13/14
Scarsdale, New York


I’m tired, I’m exhausted, tonight’s entry will be short.  I made no progress on my meditations from last night, and I am prepared to say that, in the end, free will is an irrelevant topic for the philosophers.  Sure, the biologists and neuroscientists and psychologists can debate and research the topic, but, with our present knowledge, there is no point continuing the debate.  If free will is not possible, none of it matters.  Otherwise, free will is possible, and the debate is over.  Until and unless the biologists or neuroscientists or pyschologists have found a way to disprove free will, the proper philosophical answer is to continue to live our lives as if free will is possible.  With that out of the way, I can now move on to recounting the events of today, the adventures that brought me back through New York to my parents house in Scarsdale.

I slept as late as could, until I knew that I could not fall asleep.  I had thought that I was on no set schedule, that I could take my time, that the only variable would be how late I arrived in Scarsdale.  However, I was wrong.  I had forgotten that I wanted to arrive at the State Capitol in Albany before dark.  I got out of bed around 10 AM, having woken up around 9 AM and not being able to get back to sleep.  I probably should have just gotten out of bed when I woke up at 9 AM, that would have given me more of a cushion, but it was what it was.  I had completely forgotten about that variable until it was too late.

I did go to the Frontenac for breakfast, stopping at Parliament for my Official picture along, and I was glad that I didn’t just eat at my hotel, my parents always reminding me how good that buffet was when we went half a lifetime ago.  They had not lost their touch.  It was probably the best breakfast I’ve had in North America, other than some that I’ve had in Manhattan.  The best part was the eggs, they were perfectly cooked French-style scrambled eggs.  When scrambled eggs are prepared right, they are as good as any food.  These were cooked right.

After breakfast, I lit up my Churchill and went to pay homage to the plaque again.  I got some more pictures, not that I didn’t have enough pictures with the plaque from the three other times that I went there.  As I explored a different part of the old city, I realized the time crunch and that I was risking not getting to Albany before sunset.  I found my way to the fortifications and walked back to Rue Saint Louis atop the wall.

I took my traditional picture with the Winston Churchill statue, having him smoke my cigar, getting a kick out of it that I was smoking a Churchill, before walking back to my hotel.  I considered stopping at the Casa in Montreal, but, when I put in the State Capitol into my GPS, it was showing an arrival time mamash at sunset.  There was no time to spare, and I wanted to pick up a bottle of whiskey at the duty free.  I lit up a Gurkha and was on my way.

Due to construction and holiday traffic, I lost even more time.  As I was driving, I saw someone tailgating a gas tanker.  As I approached him, I thought to myself how stupid it would have to be for someone to do that.  Either pass him or keep a safe distance.  Then I saw the car flash its brake lights three times as I went to pass him.  He was obviously warning, about what though?  Was the tanker driving erratically making it unsafe to pass?  Then I saw it, a cop on the median.  I slowed down and, for the second time in two days, I narrowly avoided getting a speeding ticket in Quebec.  I soon made it to the border, not quite having finished my Aging Room, which I ditched in the parking lot, and the lines at Duty Free took far longer than it should have, costing me 5 precious minutes.

When I got back in the car, my arrival time said 6:40 PM.  Nautical twilight began at 6:44 PM (dusk as it’s more commonly called).  I figured that I would make up some time on the road.  By the time I crossed the border, it was now showing 6:50 PM.  When the officer asked me where I was from, I said New York.  He said, “New York’s a big state.”  I did not think that to keep repeating New York until he realized that I meant the City of New York would be conducive to getting to the State Capitol before nautical twilight began.  Instead, I replied by saying “Park Avenue and [my cross street] in Midtown Manhattan.”  “Oh, downstate.”  I set my cruise control for 13 mph above the speed limit.  By simple math, the arrival time should have went down by a minute every 6 minutes.  It was not.  Had my GPS gotten used to me usually driving 13 mph above the speed limit and accounted for that?  Something was definitely off.  I lit up an Opus, and I resigned myself to defeat.

I knew that the Capitol would be well lit and that I could take a good picture of the building.  The photo with would just be shit.  I was right.  I wound up ditching the cigar outside the Capitol, and I got a decent enough picture to say “New York Complete,” adding that it only took 27 years, but I would like to come back to take a more Official picture.  I’m sure I’ll have a chance to stop by Albany at some point in the next three years.  I called my father, telling him I was in Albany and to turn the oven to 200 degrees.  My parents know what that phrase means.  It means that a bucket of wings will be getting delivered within the hour.  I called Candlelight and made it so.

As I was driving away, I realized that I hadn’t realized the significance of that moment, that I finally said “New York Complete.”  Without the daylit picture, it just didn’t feel triumphant.  I stopped at the first service area I found on I-87 and filled up.  I debated if I should take a U or “make it interesting” for the two hours to Scarsdale.  It turned out there was no way to drive from the gas pumps back to the service area, it being one way.  “I guess I’m making it interesting,” I announced as I drove off, putting on Les Miz and lighting up an Avo, a combination I have used to close out so many trips and long drives.

The last song came on as I was pulling into the driveway, and then I heard a crash. 1500 miles of driving with no problem this trip, in addition to the 25,000 or so I had done this year without an accident, only to hit something as I pulled into my parents driveway?  It was just a tree branch that hit the mirror.  I doubt it did any damage.  The wings were ready for me, and I polished off most of the bucket while I chatted and joked with my parents, absolutely starving since I had had nothing since breakfast other than a liter of water and five cigars.  The funniest quote was as follows.  We were discussing the “Ceci n’est pas une pipe” painting.  I said that it was painted by Van Gogh or Cezanne or Picasso, some French guy.  My father replied that they’re all French.  I shot back that Van Gogh was Dutch and Picasso Spanish.  He agreed with that, leaving only Cezanne.  The three of us cracked up for a good minute.

I then had some ice cream and went to weigh in.  Figuring between all the crap I had eaten this week (and the last seven weeks for that matter, since I weighed in Portland), and the pound of wings and the two large glasses of water, I must be well over my most recent weigh-in.  I was wrong, I had stayed at the same weight and will be even lower in the morning.  That also means that I have weighed in lighter than my brother for the first time in probably a decade.  I sat down with my father and chatted some more before I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get some sleep.  In the end, I set out to say NE/NB/NY Complete, and I suppose that I did.  I still don’t have that last stamped brochure from Saugus, I didn’t get my souvenirs in Fredericton, and I need a better picture in front of the Capitol, but I did say NE/NB/NY Complete.  Next stop: Jamaica, man!

No comments:

Post a Comment