Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Jamaica, Mahn! - Day 0 - Fading Friendships

11/14/14
Aboard BW 16, En route JFK-KIN


As we make our way to Jamaica, I am forced to remember the last time I travelled to the Greater Antilles.  It was 7 years ago, and I got utterly and royally toasted with three of my friends.  We decided we wanted to fly to Paris to get ortolan, but we didn’t all have passports.  Instead, we chose Puerto Rico.  The details of the trip are unimportant.  What is important is the details of those friendships.  I have been pre-writing this entry for almost a week now, and the conversation we had earlier this evening touched on many of the points I had planned to make and reinforced the importance of this entry.

I have written enough times about the list of 20 people in the world I love, and how I honestly don’t care about the rest of them, the other 7 billion.  I’m sure my seasoned readers know me well enough to know that that is a real list, an actual list on my phone of 20 names (well, initials).  No, I will not be posting that list.  There are too many people who would be shocked to find themselves included and others who would be angered to find themselves not included.  What is interesting is that I made the same list when I was in NYU, around the time of that trip to Puerto Rico.  Other than my family, there is not a single overlapping name.

Reader, think of that for a moment.  My closest friends at the time, the people whom I most dearly loved outside of my family, all of them, out of my life.  More importantly, they are not only out of my life, but they are now exactly the same as the 7 billion.  They mean nothing to me.  I have neither any positive nor negative emotions towards them.  I am still fond of one them, the one with whom I ever have any contact, the last one of them to have left my life, but I no longer love her.  She was my best friend for a year, and now she means practically nothing to me.  On the other hand, the ignoring my family again, and I will lump my sister-in-law into that group, because I consider her as much my sister as I consider my brother to be my brother, the women at the top end of that list are people who have all entered my life within the past 30 months.  That, outside of my family, the four women in the world whom I love most were for 90% of my life total strangers or not yet born.

I am focusing on the women because the three men that fall into that range are people who have been in and out of my life for quite some time.  My best friend, he fell out of my life for over a decade before we rekindled our friendship three years ago.  He is now very high on that list and likely will be for the rest of our lives.  My favorite coworker, someone who has known me my entire life, one of my favorite people in the world, has been in and out of my life as I worked or did not work at my father’s company.  To know him is to love him.  The old manager of the cigar store rounds out that list, and, there was a gap when I stopped going to the cigar store.  We had a special bond when, 8 years ago, I walked into that cigar store looking for a pipe tamper.  That was his first week at the store.  8 years later, we had become very close friends, and now he has moved to another store.  We have discussed some creative venture together that may or may not pan out.  If they do, we will continue our friendship.  If they don’t I expect we will slowly and eventually drift apart, in which case his name would slide off the list.

That leaves the aforementioned four women.  The first, of course, is my girlfriend.  Two years ago, she was a stranger.  A year ago, someone with whom I frequently interacted on Facebook, interaction that slowly became more and more flirtatious as I started to develop interest in developing feelings beyond the bonds of friendship.  3 months ago, she was a girl I wanted to date.  Now, she is, well, she’s her.  No other words are required, nothing else needs to be said.

The next on that list would be a girl from my philosophy class.  She is one of the smartest and most interesting people I know.  A year ago, she was a stranger.  7 months ago, I fell in love with her, and I decided to ask her out.  After the final, I forgot about her for 3 months.  She was out of my life.  About 2 months ago, she became one of my closest friends, along with another classmate.  I grouped the two of them together, unable to separate my feelings for them.  The male was the closer friend, but we drifted, and I started developing a closer friendship with the female classmate about a month ago.  I love both of them very dearly, but they will both be out of my life in two months.  I know for a fact that, while I will always remember them fondly, just as I do the girl from the Puerto Rico trip, the girl who was my best friend for a year, if I do not maintain regular contact with them, they will slip off of my list.

The next two are women who are out of my life in person but with whom I maintain regular electronic contact.  The first one was a stranger three years ago, practically a Facebook friend a year ago, and is now one of my best friends.  She will always hold a special place in my heart.  She was the girl who reminded that I would one day fall in love again.  After the disastrous experiences with women I had at NYU, I pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I would never fall in love again.  I had forgotten what it was like feel desire.  I had forgotten the meaning of the word passion.  Three years ago, I was practically dead inside.  Three summers ago, that all changed.  When I saw her, I felt alive.  I saw one of the prettiest people I had ever met.  I saw someone who reminded me that I wanted to fall in love again.  I felt desire.  I asked her out a few times, she always had a different excuse why she couldn’t join me, though she never outright rejected me.  After three strikes, I called it an out, and I moved on.

We hung out a few times, exchanged a bunch of excited texts.  It was a far cry from the summer fling I had hoped to have with her, but it was more of an interaction with a woman (well, a girl) than I had had in quite some time.  It never would have worked out for a variety of reasons.  I was not in place where I was looking for a serious relationship.  I was looking to have fun.  I did have fun with her, just not the type I had hoped.  I flew off to Nashville, and she was back in Florida by the time I got back to New York.

She was out of my life, and so were my feelings for her, for the most part.  I always held a certain fondness of those memories, and those lingering feelings were used in many philosophical debates to defend the merit of “irrational happiness.”  We maintained sporadic communication through Facebook and text messaging.  We had periods of more and less frequent communications, lasting a day or a week, but she was never really in my life.  Then, something changed two months ago.  We had lunch together the day before my 27th Birthday.  She acted like I was her best friend.

Wait, when did this start?  Well, a week later, we fell out of touch again.  Then, two weeks after that, when Aliyah and I made our relationship status Official on Facebook, I instantaneously got an angry text from her, demanding why I didn’t tell her I had a girlfriend.  Since when did we have that kind of relationship?  We didn’t.  I made a joke, and I didn’t hear from her for another two weeks.  She came back to New York, we met for a drink, and we were back to being best friends.  That was the last time I saw her, and she was out of my life once more.  Then the new Taylor Swift album came out.  That gave us something to talk about, back to being best friends, texting every day, sometimes multiple times a day, about Taylor Swift and Harry Potter and movies and our shared interests.

Relationships require a deeper connection, but a friendship, especially one that is solely maintained through text messages, can easily be based on shared interests and nothing else.  Eventually, we will run out of things to say about Taylor’s new album.  She may even fade out of my life once more, but she will never drop off of that list.  The memory of that night in the summer of 2012 when I finally woke up, when I stopped being dead inside, when I remembered what desire felt like, that memory will never fade, and I will always love her for that.  Wow, I did not mean to write that much about her.

Now, to round out that list we have one of my former co-workers.  4 months ago, she was a stranger.  3 months ago, she was a crush.  2.5 months ago, I realized that I loved her for no other reason than that she was such a happy person and that I would hate to see such happiness diminished.  A month ago, that foreshadowing came true.  Such happiness was diminished.  I was sad, very sad, to see that light fade away.  It is amazing how someone who was a stranger 4 months ago, someone whom I have not seen in a month, someone with whom I really only ever interacted electronically beyond saying good morning and good bye, how someone who should by all means be considered an acquaintance is one of the 20 people in the world whom I love.  Eventually, she too, will fade out of my life, and that will be the end of that.  She will slowly drift off of the list, unless we maintain regular communication, which I don’t see happening.

As of now, there are three people I text every day.  8 years ago, those three people were as strangers to me.  Now, the people I used to text or message every day are as strangers to me.  It is amazing how these fading friendships cause us to stop loving the people who used to be the most important people in our lives.  This is slightly more than I meant to write on the topic, and I am mamash tired.  However, this entry would not be complete without briefly, and I mean briefly, recalling Day 0.

After a harrowing day at work, I headed to the cigar store where I enjoyed an Opus, having recently treated myself to a box of them.  I biked home, finished the cigar as I backed up my files.  I had had no appetite since I left work, though I had not really eaten much all day.  I certainly had no desire for dinner.  I had a few peppermint pretzels just to change the taste in my mouth between the cigar and the 2007 Christmas Pipe I would later light up as I finished packing.  It was Officially that time of year, so I put on the Christmas music.

Aliyah came over shortly after I finished the pipe.  I lit up my Ramon Allones, and then we headed out.  Oh, the cupcake.  Aliyah bought me a cupcake, which was a very sweet thing of her to do, pun intended.  Under any other circumstances, I would have been delighted to have a pumpkin cupcake.  It looked absolutely delicious, yet I had no appetite.  It did not take much convincing from her end to get me to eat the cupcake.  It was as good as it looked.  I used Lyft to get us to the airport, which was overpriced due to peak pricing.

When we got to the airport, we quickly realized that we were the only white people on the plane.  We were able to upgrade to business class for 40% of the ticket price.  My cut-off is 50%.  Any more than that, and it is not worth the premium.  We went through security and headed to the lounge, which was empty, so we enjoyed being silly and having the lounge to ourselves.  I made myself a martini, which I continued to drink as we headed to the plane, getting there as they announced final boarding call.  Just as we were the only white people on the flight, we were also the only people in business class.  I joked that it was like a bus in Montgomery in 1963, the segregation.  Again, I had no appetite when the food was offered, so I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.

No comments:

Post a Comment