Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

India - Day 2 - Agra

11/29/14

New Delhi, India


When I set out to see the world, I knew that it would not be long before I become jaded, traveling as often as I do, the way I do.  I did not know how long it would take for me to become jaded, but it happened.  That is why it is so remarkable for something to literally take my breath away.  For that to happen 5 times before noon, well, that’s just something special.  It was a year ago that I landed in Iran, almost exactly to the hour.  I will never forget that first night in Shiraz, nor Persepolis, no the Imam Square in Esfahan, nor the crowded streets of Tehran.  Likewise, today will be a day I never forget.

A year from now, the stresses, the exhaustion, the weariness, the sickness will all be forgotten.  The feeling I had when I first saw the Taj Mahal up close will not be forgotten.  What is even more remarkable is how similar these two countries were.  If I were plopped down in the middle of one these two countries, I would have trouble telling them apart at first glance.  For the most part, 95% even, they are the same.  It is the other 5% that provided me with significant cultural shock today, unlike anything I ever experienced before.

I had set an alarm, but it was unnecessary.  I think I woke up before 6 AM, and I could not get back to sleep.  I showered and was then faced with another dilemma.  My car would not be ready until 7:30 AM, so there was no issue of a time crunch.  Breakfast would not start until 6:30 AM.  Having freshly showered, would I change back into my night clothes for breakfast, thereby defeating the purpose of the shower, or would I change into my suit and risk getting my breakfast all over them?  I realized that the main purpose of the shower was to make sure my hair looked neat for my photos, and since the overwhelming stench of curry would permeate the entire country, rewearing my night clothes for an hour hardly seemed an issue.  I would have plenty of time for a leisurely breakfast and to change into my suit after breakfast.

My first mamash moment of the day was when I stepped out into the garden.  I cannot put into words what I felt when I felt the cool air and saw the statue of the goddess head through the smokiness.  The lighting was not good for a proper picture, but it was entirely overwhelming.  At that moment there could be no doubt that I was in India.  They had outdoor tables with ashtrays, and I considered grabbing a cigar for breakfast, but I knew that I would be back tomorrow morning and could do that tomorrow.  Today, I just wanted to enjoy breakfast.  I was glad that I made that decision.

My second mamash moment was when I saw the spread.  It was amazing, and I knew that I would soon be debating if this would make my list of Top 5 breakfast buffets of all time (Spoiler Alert: It did!)  Deciding for one morning not to worry about carbs or calories, also knowing that I would more likely than not be skipping lunch and not eating again until tonight, I let myself indulge.  I started with a fruit and cheese plate, along with some bread and cold chicken.  I asked for a refill on my water bottle and some coffee.  I also asked if I could sit outside.  She said that of course I could but that was quite cold outside.  (It was in the 60s).  I assured her that I would be okay.

The entire meal was excellent, and that was my third mamash moment.  The coffee was perfect.  In fact, it was so good that I had three cups, knowing that would preclude me from taking my nap en route to the Taj Mahal.  I didn’t care.  My next course was the hot food course.  When ranking buffets, I always say the hot food course is like the Final Exam for a semester at college.  If you fail the final, you fail the course.  Even if the final is only 30% of the course, and you did everything else perfect.  If you get a 50 on the final, you don’t get a B for the course, you get an F.  That was why the buffet at the Majestic failed.  It failed the final.  This buffet got a solid A+ on the final.  The hash browns tasted like potato latkes, the eggs were nice and runny, the bacon excellent.  They also had a selection of more traditional Indian breakfast foods, but I was not interested.  Then for the term paper, the desserts.  While it was not quite a solid A, it was at least a B+, maybe an A-.  I treated myself to a whole plate of desserts.  Afterwards, I went back for some more fruit.  In all, the buffet earned a solid A.  Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of that were better, excluding ones in New York and brunch buffets, were the two in the Black Forest and the Frontenac in Quebec.

My fourth mamash moment came when I got back up to the room and saw the all too familiar huge orange rising sun found in the region of the world, perfectly circularly, not a cloud in the sky, just partially obscured by the smoky skies.  I headed down, and my car was waiting for me.  He did not wait long before telling me what I had planned for the day was impossible, an all too familiar refrain from tour guides.  However, through his broken English, I quickly realized that he was not the tour guide that the company had seemed to imply that I would be getting.  It didn’t matter.  I just needed to take pictures.

Not long after he left, he pulled over, and something seemed off.  It turned out that he was apparently stopping off to pay his income taxes.  I wanted to smoke an Opus, but I didn’t have an ashtray on me.  I knew that he would not object to me smoking in the car, but I needed something to do with the ash.  “You’re smart.  You’ll figure something out,” I told myself.  Sure enough, I did.  I had a first aid kit that was in small plastic clamshell container.  I emptied that out and used the clamshell as the ashtray.  It worked perfectly.  After my cigar, the driver asked if I wanted some coffee or tea.  I said that I was good, but he appeared to be turning off anyway.

I asked if he was going to get a coffee.  He said that he needed to U.  That brought me up with a quandary trying to figure out if a rest stop would be considered Official or a Category III Unofficial U.  The one person whom I could ask for such advice was otherwise occupied for the Sabbath and would not be able to provide advice for about 20 hours.  Instead, I wound up texting him a picture of each Official Uer that I used for the rest of the day, along with the count.  When he turned his phone on at sunset, he would be inundated with half a dozen pictures of Official Uers.  Because we are best friends, because we have shared jokes like these, because we have the same sense of humor, I knew just how funny he would find that.  We then went to get coffee.  This was the most crowded rest stop I had ever seen, and, once again, I was shocked by the lack of any kind of respect for personal space.  I ordered a coffee, which tasted more like a sugary latte, already mixed with milk and sugar.  I hated it, but I drank it anyway, for #TheExperience.

One of the biggest cultural shocks of the day, other than the fact that my driver saw no impropriety in openly belching in the car, was the aggressive and dangerous driving.  It is no wonder that my credit card’s rental car insurance specifically excludes India.  Ironically, the other two countries it excludes are Israel and Jamaica.  It was a three-lane highway, but it was more commonly treated as a two-lane highway, people driving halfway across the lane lines.  Once we got to Agra, we were in as packed a traffic jam as I had ever seen, and the two-lane street was treated as three-lane street, sometimes a fourth lane was created if there were motorcycles.  I was very glad to be in the backseat instead of behind the wheel.

We soon pulled over, and the driver told me that a tour guide would be coming.  Wonderful.  That was the last thing that I needed.  How do you explain to a tour guide that you really don’t care about the history of their national treasure, that you don’t care how many artisans built the monument, that you don’t care how many camels they needed to carry the marble, that you don’t care how tons of camel shit the workers had to clean up.  How do you explain that you just want to take a bunch of pictures to post on Instagram and stare at the pretty monument?  How do you explain concepts of mamash and Official and complete to someone who wants to tell you everything there is to know about their national treasures?

The answer is that you don’t.  You just smile and nod and say the right things at the right moment as you do your best to ignore him.  To make matters worse, he also said that my plan was impossible, that I should just see the two sites in town.  That was an unacceptable answer.  I quickly realized that, due to traffic, the National Park would be a pipe dream, but there was no reason we couldn’t do the third Cultural WHS an hour outside the city.  In the end, he also expected to be paid.  I was told that my driver would come to all the sites with me and that the price was all-inclusive.  Oh well.  It was not a big deal.  I was not allowed to smoke my cigar inside the complex, so that famous picture with my cigar and water bottle in front of the Taj Mahal, the whole purpose of the trip, seemed a lost cause.  Maybe I could see the Taj Mahal from outside the security gate?  No.  Maybe just a glimpse?  No.  I grabbed my Partagas and put my torch in my bag, just bringing my soft flame.  Okay, so what would I do?  I’d wing it and hope for the best, just as I did 6 months ago at the Tokyo Stadium.  When we got to the gate, I saw a glimpse of white.  I asked my guide what that was.  It was the Taj Mahal.  It would be Official, but it wouldn’t be Epic.  Close enough.  I lit up my cigar, and we took some pictures.


We then walked around the gate, and he told me he was taking me somewhere no tourists ever go.  What else was new?  Then, I saw them: monkeys.  Real monkeys roaming the area as they had for time eternal.  I did not expect that.  We walked down the wall and back, and I had finished my Partagas.  He gave my lighter to one of his shopkeeper friends.  We then walked inside.



Once we passed through the gate, I saw it.  It was every bit as magnificent as one would expect.  That was my fifth mamash moment of the day.  We took lots of pictures, and I did my best to tune him out, just wanting to enjoy #TheExperience.  He then said it was time to walk inside the monument.  I really did not feel a need to go inside the tomb, but I figured that I might as well do it.  There was a whole big pile of shoes that people left outside, and I was instantly brought to McCarthy in July, to that picture I took outside of a neat line of shoes.  The tomb was overcrowded, and, once again, there was no concept of personal space.  Between that, my desire to fit everything in, and the overwhelming stench of curry, I started to have a panic attack.  I just wanted to get back out into the open air.  When we finally did, I told him it was time to go, and it was time for the souvenirs.

We first had to go back to the place where my lighter was being kept.  I recognize a hard sell when I see one, and I know how to say no politely yet firmly.  I recognize when I’m being ripped off, but I can also recognize the perfect souvenir or gift.  I got a marble replica for myself.  It was overpriced, but it was the perfect souvenir.  I also got some keychains.  He then asked if I wanted to buy a t-shirt.  I did.  They took me to their textile department.  A pair of pyjamas for yourself?  Something for your lady?  Sure, why not.  It was far more than I had intended to spend on my girlfriend’s gift, but I knew just how much that she would love it, that the smile on her face would be worth far more to me than anything that I could have bought myself for that price.  The total price he quoted was outrageous.  I named a price about half of what he wanted, and he kept lowering his price, but I stood firm at my price.  In the end he agreed.

I then went to the next shop.  They had cheap replicas of the Taj Mahal.  By cheap, I mean the price of a cheap cup of coffee.  I bought 30.  He then asked me if I wanted a keychain.  The price he quoted was beyond outrageous.  He asked the same price for the keychain as he did for all 30 replicas.  I negotiated him down to a more reasonable but still outrageous price for two of them and got a t-shirt.  They had two workers bring my stash to a tuk tuk, which brought us back to our car.  I easily fit everything inside the Barclay Rex shopping bag I had brought with me.

From there, we headed to the Agra Fort.  He said that I had only paid for the two sites in Agra.  Bullshit.  I had told the company each of the four sites I wanted to see, and they said it was all-inclusive.  The tour guide hesitated and then said that I would have to pay the tolls for the road to the third site.  It was a nominal amount, so I agreed.  We were soon at the Agra Fort.  Again, I could not go inside with my cigar, but the Official picture was taken outside, so I was satisfied with walking around the complex.  I lit up my Romeo, and we hired another tuk tuk, and he took us to a place where I could get some nice photos.  I told my guide that I had to U, and he pointed to the nearest bush and told me to make it Official.  I did not hesitate to do so.  After we took our pictures, we headed back, and brought me to my car and asked for his fee.  I did not feel a need to tip him on top of that.

By this point, I was starting to feel sick or depressed or exhausted or heat-stricken.  I can never tell the difference.  I just wanted to get my Official picture at Fatehpur Sikri and head back to my hotel.  The National Park was out of the question.  As we drove, I looked to see who back home was still online, it being 3:30 AM in New York.  A doctor that I once loved was active.  She made a joke about me looking for a guru.  As if!

We were soon there, and the driver pointed me to a tour guide who would take me around.  I did not need to hear about the Mughal Emperor’s three wives and how he couldn’t have any kids and how the holy man blessed his Hindu wife to deliver him a sun.  I just needed to take a fucking picture, and my phone was quickly dying.  To make it worse, his incessant talking was only making me more nauseated.  I lit up my Montecristo, and we walked around.  The rules were more relaxed there, and he dropped me off with his “uncle,” who would show me where to take the Official picture.  He was convinced that this was a picture I found in an old family photo album and was trying to replicate.

I got my picture, posted it on Instagram, and my photo got 12 Likes, which might be close to a record for a picture with just me in it.  Probably a year since a solo photo got that many Likes.  My Travelogue entry from Thanksgiving also got a record number of views, more than 50% more than my previous high.  I must be doing something right this trip.  I then sat down to finish my cigar, and the “uncle” stared at me very confused.  Did this guy really come all the way from New York just to smoke cigars and post pictures on Instagram?  Damn right I did.  We went back, and it was time to get on the bus.  I asked my guide if I could smoke the cigar on the bus.  He said that I was his guest and that I could, so long as I sat in the back of the bus.  The person in front of me asked if I could put it out.  While I do not care about the feelings of strangers, I have a very strong sense of fair play and common decency.  I do not have the right to impose my cigar on him in a crowded and enclosed space.  I held the cigar out the window and puffed out the window.  He was okay with that.  Reader, imagine doing that in New York on an MTA bus or even the top of a double decker tour bus.

The souvenirs offered were lacking, so I paid my guide and headed back to the car.  I had no appetite, so I asked the driver to take me straight back to the hotel.  I wanted to nap, but it was too bumpy and shaky to sleep.  I have inherited a lot of things from my mother in varying degrees.  Her motion sickness is one that I inherited in a lesser degree.  Her worrying and overanalyzing is one that I inherited to a much greater degree.

As we drove, the most harrowing moment of the day came.  We were on a road that was one lane in each direction, two lanes total.  There was a long line of stopped trucks, so my driver tried to pass them.  He got pretty far, but then a truck started coming in the opposite direction.  To make matters worse, there was a blind man walking on the side of the road.  Somehow, it all fit without any accidents, but, as if that was not enough, a motorcycle decided to try and weave its way through.  I was thoroughly frightened, but we survived and were soon on our way.  My driver was lost.  Another interesting aspect of India culture is that all along the road people were stopped off to make it Official, not looking for a bush or a ditch, just doing their business on the side of the road.

I then saw the familiar orange disk setting, along with a tower with a flame on top of it.  I didn’t think it was an Olympic cauldron, so I assumed it had something to do with oil or gas.  I just couldn’t figure it out.  We soon stopped again at a crowded roadside market, and my driver left me alone in the running and unlocked car.  I was not happy.  He came back and quickly found the highway, finally allowing me to take my first nap.

When we got back to the hotel, I immediately changed into my nightclothes and passed out, waking up again at 11 PM to a deluge of Facebook likes, people just starting to wake up in New York as I took my nap.  I wasn’t too hungry, but I knew that if I tried to fall asleep again I risked a) waking up too late to write my Day 2 entry and b) waking up very hungry after the restaurants closed.  I put on my slippers and headed down for dinner, opting for their fusion restaurant.

I sat at the same table I chose for breakfast, ordered an overpriced kabob platter, tandoori roti, and another Kingfisher beer.  I headed back to my room to get a cigar for the meal.  I had to choose between a Cohiba and an Avo.  Certain cigars bring back certain memories.  Would I choose the Cohiba and remind myself of the symposiums of April and May, or would I choose the Avo and remind myself of the Les Miz phase of my life from February and March.  I opted for the Cohiba.  The meal was very good, it was spicy, but the beer, bread, and cigar helped to cut the spice.  I didn’t need dessert, but I ordered some anyway.

I then went back to my room, grabbed my 2006 Christmas Pipe and everything that I needed to properly enjoy #TheExperience.  I lit it up, put on my Idina Manzel album, and proceeded to write this entry.  After the album ran once through, I heard my favorite catchy Christmas tune: Christmas Wrapping.  Wait, that wasn’t on my playlist.  I took off my headphones, and it was blaring from the speakers in the garden.  This is such a lovely courtyard, though it is now 3 AM here, I have no desire to go upstairs.  I could stay here all night.  Hell, I’d sleep out here if they’d let me.  I don’t think they would.  Instead, I will close, publish this, and upload my photos from my Official and Epic Day in Agra.

No comments:

Post a Comment