Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Jamaica Mahn - Day 1 - Hot as Hell

11/15/14

Kingston, Jamaica

I suppose that by my typical Travelogue standards, the events of today, when written out, would seem rather boring and underwhelming.  We left the hotel around 10 AM, picked up some souvenirs, did one activity, eating a meal on-site, left at 3:30 PM, got ice cream, went back to the hotel, went out for a casual dinner, and were back at the hotel around 7:30 PM.  Boring day, right?  Wrong.

Day 1 properly began the moment I woke up on the airplane, and we soon landed.  We were the first ones off the plane, being the only people in business class, and we went to immigration.  There was some kind of issue with my passport, and the agent seemed to think it was a glitch from their end.  They wound up asking my multiple times if I was here for business.  That was the only question they had for me, and I told them it was for pure tourism.  It was not a long process, but it was a new experience, and an unexpected one.  This was the land of Bob Marley and “Yah, mahn!”  It seemed odd to be subjected to such scrutiny.  It didn’t matter.  We weren’t on any type of time crunch.

My original plan was for us to head to Parliament, take our pictures, go to the hotel, be unable to check in, change into our beach attire, have breakfast, go to the souvenir shops, get my souvenirs, and be at the beach at 9 AM.  We were able to check in early, which allowed us to catch a much-needed nap.  As exhausting as the day was, without that nap, it surely would have been even more tiring.


However, I was starving, having nigh naught but a cupcake in well over 12 hours, so we got breakfast first.  I got what the waitress called the Jamaican national dish, saltfish and ackee, which was really good and quite a challenge to eat with chopsticks, and a perfect first Official meal in Jamaica.  The coffee I had with breakfast was not conducive to me getting a good nap.  As mentioned in the opening, we left the hotel at 10 AM and got our taxi for the day, which seemed to be overpriced, but it was what it was, even if I was convinced that there was racket going on between the hotel and the taxis.  I got what I needed at the souvenir shops, including presents for Ryan and Emily, unable to find something for Sokol.  The only other person for whom I would have wanted to buy a present was standing right next to me.  She got some souvenirs for her family.  I’m not sure if she got anything for herself.

From there it was time to go to the beach, and I chose Hellshire beach, renowned for their fried fish stands.  We ordered some fried fish, which as delicious as it was difficult to eat with chopsticks, with all the fixings and a pair of Red Stripe beers to go with it.  I lit up my Ramon Allones, the last from the box.  It was fitting that it would be the cigar that it would be my first Official cigar in Jamaica and the cigar that allowed me to say, “Jamaica Complete.”  She gave me a congratulatory high-five, though it was a particularly difficult task, not having to hit any WHS or Olympic Stadiums.  I joked that now that I had said “Jamaica Complete,” we could head home.  We had not yet set foot on the beach.  She did not find the joke funny.

I’m sure my reader knows that I am not a huge fan of the beach.  When I was younger, hell, the last time I went to the beach even (5 months ago), I went for no other reason than to check out the women, being in a very happy relationship with the woman lying next to me, I had no desire to spend an afternoon “checking out women.”  After minimal cajoling, I get my feet wet and sandy.


It was shortly that my world slowly started to turn to hell.  Nine hours later, I was depressed and almost yakked.  Why?  One simple reason.  The heat.  Yes, reader, I was in paradise, but it was as hot as hell.  I do not handle the heat well.  I never have.  I have always preferred the cold to the heat.  It was ten degrees too hot for me.  I have never been able to segregate feelings of hunger, dehydration, and exhaustion from sadness.  It was what happened in Fredericton a month ago, and it was what was happening here today.  I was constantly hungry, eating past the point of satiation only to be hungry 20 minutes later.  No matter how much water I drank, I could not hydrate myself.

By the time we got back to the hotel from dinner, I was sick or sad, and I couldn’t figure out which.  Now, sitting on the balcony with a nice cool breeze, writing this entry, I am neither, though I am still hungry, despite having eaten four big meals today.  Now, I am in familiar territory, recalling the happy memories of St. John’s and Basseterre.  Now, all is well.  Three hours ago, that was not the case.

My vision of paradise is the Canadian Arctic or Greenland or northern Scandinavia in the summer, not escaping the New York winter to go to someplace that is hot as hell.  I caught a nap and went to get some fried lobster, no easy feat to eat with chopsticks.  I bought some more gifts from a vendor there, and our driver was soon there to pick us up.  We went to I Scream (the number 1 rated restaurant in TripAdvisor for Kingston) for some delicious ice scream, and then he dropped us off at the hotel.

She watched a movie while I took a much needed nap.  We (she) decided that we would reenact our little adventure to McDonald’s after the wedding when we were dressed to the nines.  The thing about us is that we both are and would settle for nothing less than “anything but ordinary.”  We got dressed up in our best outfits and headed to get some jerk chicken at a little joint.  It was so good, and I got another red stripe.

At first I thought I was toasted, but then I realized that I was actually starting to feel sick.  I was dehydrated and exhausted and/or sad.  I couldn’t figure it out.  I just wanted to be back in the cool hotel room.  By the time we got back to the hotel, I was hungry again, despite not being able to finish the jerk chicken.  When we did get up to the room, I took another short nap and then lit up my 2008 Christmas Pipe, put on my Idina Menzel Christmas album, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, since I am mamash tired and ready to pass out.


No comments:

Post a Comment