Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, August 28, 2015

Cuba - Day 2 - The Lord's Day

8/23/15, “The Lord’s Day”

Cabo Cruz, Cuba (Desembarco de Granma National Park)

While yesterday was the Jewish Sabbath, today, in Catholicism, is the Lord’s Day.  I expected most of the island to be shut down, as I have experienced spending many Sundays in the Caribbean and Central America, even a couple of Easter Sundays.  A few places were closed, but the island was as bustling as it was yesterday.  It further supports my observations that Cuba does it not as deeply influenced by religion as other islands in the Caribbean are.  Is this a result of communism?

Most communist countries do not have traditional religions.  Atheism was the state religion of Soviet Russia, and Red China does not have much in the way of religion, either.  Is Cuba starting to follow suit?  Surely Fidel’s revolution, which began in this very spot, where he disembarked (hence the name of the NP), was not motivated by religion.  It was motivated by his desire to be free from American influence.  It had nothing to do with gold, God, or glory.  It was about freedom, or so he claimed.  What happened next is a different story.

As for this story, I have barely done anything, but the past 9 hours (has it really been that long), seem like a busy blur.  I overslept a little, raced to get ready and have a disappointing breakfast, and we hit the road, soon arriving at Holguin, where we picked up a modern car.  We were going to get cigars there, too, but that was a fail.  I paid a large sum for the rental car, in cash, but that served as most of my fee for the entirety of the trip, since I no longer had to pay for the use of Ernesto’s old Chevy.  I got some rum and snacks at the liquor store, having to wait too long on line.  Is this how people spend the Lord’s Day?  Grocery shopping?  I thought everyone would still be in church at 11 AM.

We then went to Ernesto’s house, well his girlfriend’s house, where I waited while he showered and his “mother-in-law” made us coffee.  We were soon on the road, and I was ready to start the trip anew with a new car.  I lit up a Davidoff Escurio, rolled down the window, and blared the Red album.  With the familiar sound of “State of Grace,” I was ready.  I felt ready to take on the world.  That’s exactly what we did.


Three hours later, we stopped for lunch in Manzanillo, a process that somehow took an hour, but meals in this region are always slow.  I got fried plantains and fried chicken, along with a beer.  It was delicious.  I lit up a a Cabaiguan, and, another hour later, we saw the entrance sign for the National Park, where I lit up another El Credito.  The inscription photo showed a waterfall, and we soon learned the waterfall was on the opposite end of the park, but the page talked about rocky cliffs in Cabo Cruz.

We soon found those rocky cliffs.  I have seen lots of waterfalls, but I have never quite seen rocky cliffs like this, with this kind of coloration.  We took some ceremonial pictures and headed to the beach, where I enjoyed the views of the cliff and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can finish up in the park and make our way to the hotel in Camaguey, where my friend awaits us.


Camaguey, Cuba

Well, here we are in famous, historic Camaguey.  I am in a plaza next to my hotel, smoking an El Credito, writing my entry, much like last night.  I am in view of the main church of Camaguey, which forms the inscription photo for the WHS.  I actually don’t have much to write, which is just as well, since we went to enjoy our time in Camaguey and get to bed early tonight.  I am in one of the biggest cities of Cuba, and I can see stars looking up.  Trying do that in Chicago or Seattle.  I truly feel like I have been transported to another era.  If I was not again being accosted by beggars, it would the perfect scene, though our new friend is doing her best to chase them away.  It is quite an interesting scene, and it is clear that they are no longer celebrating the Lord’s Day.

After I closed, we headed to a spot where I was able to take a few more pictures of the rocky coast and made it Official, announcing “Day 2 Complete.”  I then fished in my pocket for my largest banknote to offer to my driver as a bonus tip for all the driving of past two days.  We headed to the monument of the disembarkation point, and I asked my driver about Castro’s religion.  His answered further confirmed what I had been observing.  Fidel and Raul were raised Catholic, but, after the revolution, they no longer practiced their religion, though the new Pope is attempting to bring them back to the fold.

When we got back in the car, I figured we could be at the hotel around 9 PM, and I handed him the tip.  At first he was confused, but I explained it was a bonus for him for all the extra driving, in addition to the regular fees.  He was very grateful.  We stopped for gas, and I lit up a My Father when I switched to the Taylor Swift (2006) album.  When I bought cigars for the trip, everyone made fun of me, saying I was going to Cuba, implying that it was like bringing coal to Newcastle.  Well, other than the El Credito cigars, I have not found any cigars I trusted.

We soon stopped for coffee and then drove straight through to the hotel.  My hotel was in the heart of downtown Camaguey, and my room even had a view of the very church from the inscription photo.  I insisted that Ernesto join us for dinner at my treat.  I checked in, but it turned out my friend had already gone up to the room.  Wait, why did they allow that?  His name wasn’t on the reservation.  I was actually a little upset they were so lax with security.  We went up to the room, but the key wouldn’t work.  I tried knocking on the door.  They tried a new key.  Apparently the magnetic card reader was broken.  They brought the physical master key and let me in, telling me to come down after dinner to get a new key.  My friend’s stuff was in the room, but he was nowhere to be found.  I settled in and left him a note.

We then went up to dinner.  Dinner was a buffet, and I opted for a table by the window, with a view of the city, including the church.  They had all sorts of traditional items, such as fish, plantain chips, chicken, and a beef or pork stew.  I got a Cristal beer to go with it.  My friend was still nowhere to be found.  Ernesto asked him if I was done with his services for the night.  We agreed we’d meet at 9 AM tomorrow morning.  I headed down to get a new key, and my friend showed up, quite obviously toasted and handed me some rum.  It was an outrageously cheap price for a half-size bottle of good quality rum.

One of the hotel staff was to accompany us to the room to make sure we could it, and Sokol made fast friends with her, insisting she take a swig of the rum.  We headed up to the room, and the magnetic keys were still not working, so she gave us the master key.  We talked about our days, and my friend made me a Cuba Libre.  We were both pretty toasted at this point.  I poured myself a shot from my 7-year rum, and my friend was done drinking for the night.

We headed out to the plaza and found a table, where I proceeded to write this entry.  We lit up a couple of El Credito cigars and were soon approached by a very old-looking woman, whom my friend, for some reason, invited to sit down with us.  She was an interesting character.  She asked for water, but I was not about to let her drink from my water bottle.  I handed my friend a banknote, asking my friend to go find some water.  She then said she hadn’t eaten in two days and asked for money for food.  I felt a little sorry for her, but I have strict policy against giving money to beggars.  However, this was different, her company for the time being was providing entertainment value, and she even tried to chase away some more aggressive beggars.

When my friend handed me the change, I gave her the larger of the banknotes, definitely enough for her to get some food.  We were wondering how old she was.  He thought she was a hundred.  I guessed ninety.  We asked her.  She didn’t speak a word of English, so we were talking about her right in front of her in English, which I suppose wasn’t exactly polite, while conversing with her in broken Spanish.  “Cuantos años tienes?”  “Cinquenta y seis.”  No, I must be mistranslating.  She could not possibly be 56.  She was.  My mother is older.  She looked at least thirty years older than my mother, maybe forty years older.

My friend told me about the Wi-Fi card, but I’ve decided against it.  I’ll be off the grid until I get back to Miami.  It truly feels like we are out of different era here.  If it were not for the chirp of the phone of the person sitting at the table next to us, I would feel like we are still in the 1960s.  On that note, I’ll close so that we can head up to the room and get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment