Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Costa Rica - Day 1 - The Pan-American Highway

10/10/15, “The Pan-American Highway”

Guanacaste, Costa Rica (Guanacaste Conservation Area, Santa Rosa Sector)

There is a road that runs from Mexico to Panama and connects +all the major cities in between.  I have been on that road in many countries, and it is, theoretically, the best road in Central America.  It is the equivalent of Route 66 or US-1.  It is an awful road.  My first day in Panama two years ago, I drove along the road as far to the south end as it goes.  It was filled with potholes, traffic, and aggressive drivers.  The Costa Rican section was marginally better maintained, but the driving was even more challenging due to the drivers and traffic and construction.  Reader, if you have never driven outside of US, Canada, and Western Europe, don’t even think about getting on that road.  Just don’t.  That has been the bulk of my day.

It is now 2 PM local time.  I woke up at 6:30 AM, and all I have done is drive and eat and sit at this viewpoint.  I published last night, half asleep, and I got an early start after a disappointing breakfast.  It was a harrowing day.  This view makes it all worthwhile.  Traffic was horrendous for, well, the entire 200 klicks between San Jose and Liberia.  The driving way too aggressive.  I couldn’t believe it.  Even last night didn’t leave me prepared.  I lit up my Davidoff Escurio and played Red, as I always do for the first big drive of the trip.

After about four hours and also a My Father cigar, I was in Liberia, so I stopped for lunch.  I got nachos, a beer, and a plate of chicharonnes.  It was quite tasty.  The price was right.  After lunch, I headed towards the National Park, choosing as my destination the original historic center.  I chose right.  I had lit up a Montecristo Open Eagle and, before long, I was at the VC.

There was a great viewpoint on top of a hill, so I went up there.  After I took my ceremonial pictures, I sat down on the ground, where I lit up a Partagas and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can try to get back to San Jose before the gift shops close.  If I can get my souvenirs, and tomorrow goes well, I will try to switch to a flight home on a Monday so that I can get to the office by 9 AM on Tuesday, which I know will make management very happy.  There we have it, seven hours of travel in just a few short paragraphs, and the tour guide said this was impossible.  Rookies.


San Jose, Costa Rica


Well, I have to say, the seven or so hours since I closed have been far more interesting than the seven or so hours that the original entry covered.  The drive back to the hotel was rather unadventurous, much the same as the drive there.  Actually, it was exactly the same, literally, the same route, as I did not leave the highway at all from San Jose to the Park entrance.  I just retraced the route back to the hotel, the only difference being the loop caused by the one-way streets surrounding my hotel.  With all the traffic, I quickly realized that a 6 PM arrival at the hotel would be impossible, but it seemed likely some shops would be open until 7 PM.  It soon became a Munich run to get there by 7 PM.  However, the autobahn is much better for fast driving than the Pan-American Highway.

While it is perfectly safe to drive to 250 km/h (150 mph) along the autobahn, anything over 120 km/h is life-threatening on the Pan-American Highway, and even 80 km/h was pushing it for large swaths of the highway.  I probably averaged 60-70 km/h (40 mph), and I wasn’t going to risk my life for a flag pin.  I stopped for a milkshake along the road, which was quite good.  I really wanted to light up my OpusX afterwards, but I was saving it for after dinner, so I opted for a VSG.  It was just too strong of a cigar to have after the milkshake cleansed my palette.

It was like 6:45 PM when I got to the hotel, and I raced in to ask where the best souvenir shops were, if he knew anything that might still be opened.  He told me the national theatre should have some shops open out front.  My phone gave me two pieces of information.  It was a 9-minute walk.  It was 6:51 PM.  You can’t make this shit up.  I got there right at 7 PM, and I found the plaza with all sorts of shops, and another was closing every minute.  I could go left (away from the hotel) or right (back towards the hotel).  I went right.  I didn’t see any souvenir shops, none that were open at least.  I asked a guy at the Nike store if he knew where there were souvenir shops.

He told me to check the plaza in front by the National Assembly (a block from my hotel).  No, that couldn’t be right.  I didn’t see any souvenir shops there last night.  Were there like little stands maybe?  Stands that would have been gone at night?  I trusted him and made my way back that direction.  On the way, I saw a little mall that was closing.  There were two souvenir shops inside that were about to close.  The guard let me in.  No dice.  They didn’t have what I needed.  Reader, I have been to every capital city in Central America and many in the West Indies.  With two exceptions (Tegucigalpa, Honduras and Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines), each one has had a souvenir market.  It’s just been a matter of knowing where to find it.

I asked a transit worker if he knew where the souvenir market was by the plaza.  It was half a block away, and he walked me to it.  There it was: Mercado Nacional de Artesanías (The National Artisan’s Market).  Half the shops were closed, but more than enough were still opened.  The first shop had the flag pin.  I got everything else I needed: keychains, a t-shirt, an ashtray, coffee, coffee mugs, and another flag pin.  I was set.  If I get my two WHSs tomorrow, I can be on that 12:30 PM flight to Houston on Monday and be at work Tuesday morning.

After I got my souvenirs, I was in the mood for Chinese food, so I headed back to the sign I had seen for “Barrio Chino” (Chinatown).  Apparently, it’s the only Chinatown in Central America.  I only saw one Chinese restaurant, which looked awful.  I pulled up Google Maps and typed in “Chinese Restaurants.”  There was a highly reviewed one called Tin Jo a four-minute walk away, so I went there.  I tried my usual routine that I always do at the restaurant on 28th Street.  I asked for a Diet Coke and an egg roll and went to take my Official U.  When I do that at Chef 28, it’s always there by the time I get back to the table.  They know me there.  They love me.  I’m the mayor.  No, literally, I’m the mayor of the restaurant on Swarm.  I check in there more than anyone else does.

I had no such luck.  They said they needed to bring the waiter.  I asked the lady who poured the water, which kind of ruined things, as the Diet Coke loses its appeal after a glass of water.  She called for the waitress.  She had no idea what an egg roll was and pointed me to the sushi rolls.  I asked if this was a Chinese restaurant, only half joking.  No, she said it was more pan-Asian.  Fuck.  They only had some token Chinese dishes.  There was a real Chinese restaurant called Don Wang down the door.  I apologized for the confusion and walked out.

When I walked into Don Wang, he knew what I meant.  He also brought some fried noodles.  I asked for duck sauce.  He had no idea what that was.  I asked for sweet and sour sauce.  He brought out something that tasted like barbeque sauce.  He insisted it was sweet and sour sauce.  There went my plans to have sweet and sour chicken or pork.  The egg roll (two of them, actually) was delicious, and I was devouring the Diet Coke.  I asked for his recommendation.

He chose a noodle dish with beef and scallions.  Perfect.  When I checked in on Swarm, it told me that someone else was checked in on Swarm, too.  His name was J--- C--- V---.  I looked at his profile.  Sure enough, he was sitting right across from me.  I had so much potential for mischief.  I could have walked up to his table and said something like “Are you J--- C---?” or “Good to see you again Sr. V---.”  They were paying their check.  He walked right by me.  I was just going to go, “Adios, J--- C---.”  I looked at him.  He smiled at me in a very flirtatious manner.  I was caught off-guard and the words didn’t come.  He was gone a few seconds later.  Anyway, the meal was delicious, including the dessert (cheesecake).  I was so ready for that OpusX now.

I pulled the cigars out of my bag.  Wait, where was my baggie of the cigar bands?  No, no, no.  Could I have lost it?  In its place was the flag pin and two keychains in a baggie.  Oh, right, I had put those in the same pocket, but I had thought I put them in the bigger bag when I got the shirt.  Long story short, I put the cigar band baggie in there instead.  Rookie mistake.  Okay, now time to light the cigar.  Wait, where was my lighter?  It wasn’t in my pocket.  Hmm, maybe I left it in the car.  Well, it turned out, I was literally only a block away from the hotel, and I had to walk by it anyway to get back to the plaza by the National Assembly.  I checked the car.  No lighter.  Had it fallen out when I was taking out my cash at some point?  Oh, there it was, in the wrong pocket.  I lit up my OpusX and headed to the same plaza from last night with the same view in the same seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep, as I have a very ambitious day tomorrow.

However, if all goes right, I will be able to call my audible and take the earlier flight.  I will add one thing.  One might think that with all the travel I have done, I would be numb to culture shock.  One would be wrong.  I will cover this more thoroughly in the reflective entry, but Costa Rica is different than the other countries in Central America, very different.  Oh, and, reader, unless you have extensive experience driving in the Middle East, Central America, and/or Eastern Europe (I have driven in all three) and a basic ability to speak and understand Spanish, please don’t drive here.  Nothing else can prepare you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment