Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Costa Rica - Day 3A - "Sometimes I Close Too Soon"

10/12/15, “Sometimes I Close Too Soon”
New York, New York


I am going to do something that I almost never do: reopen a trip after I close it out.  However, I would be remiss if I did not include the final leg of the Return Journey.  Recently I saw the movie “A Walk in the Woods,” in which an aging travel writer attempts to hike the Appalachian Trail with an old friend.  Every time something adventurous happens, the friend says something like, “This has to go in the book.”  When I travel with friends, my friends always say things like, “Is this going to go in the blog?”  The cab ride back home can’t not go in here.

After I closed, we soon made our descent, and I headed to the baggage claim once we landed.  The dominatrix looked so commonplace ahead of me, maybe a little Goth, but shee seemed the last person you’d expect to be engaged in such activities.  Reader, if you have Instagram, look up Mistress Tangent.  That’s her.  I’m not going to go into any more details.  The Instagram page speaks for itself.  I got a bagel, coffee, and donut from Dunkin Donuts by baggage claim.

By the time my box came out and I got outside, my bag was ripping apart, so I did something I never do: accept a ride from a car service driver.  This driver was also Uber.  As I walked towards him, a yellow taxi driver (as in, the driver of a yellow taxi, not a taxi driver was yellow, though the term fits both ways) started screaming.  The Uber driver told me to put my bag in the trunk and jump in the backseat, quickly.  The taxi driver was walking towards us.  There was an altercation, as in a physical altercation, with physical contact.  The taxi driver tried to stand in front of the car or grab the mirror or something to prevent him from taking me.  The Uber driver moved the car back and forth.  The taxi driver reached in the window and grabbed the guys arm.

The Uber driver sped off, cursing and threatening to deck him when he got back.  The entire drive was fast and erratic, and the driver didn’t wear his seatbelt.  The speedometer wasn’t even working.  I knew this had to go in the Travelogue.  I asked if I could smoke.  He didn’t care.  I lit up an H. Upmann I got at SJO.  Three times someone called him about the incident.  “The whole airport knows,” he announced to me.  He kept saying he couldn’t do anything because he had a passenger, but he would deck the taxi driver when he got back.  I asked if he was serious.  He swore on his mother’s life that he was going to lay him out, knock him to the ground with one punch when he got back.

This couldn’t not go in the Travelogue.  I was at my apartment in record time.  I changed into casual clothes and sat in my chair, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out the trip again.  Next stop: Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment