Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Baja: The Experience - Day 8 - "Mexico Complete"

2/25/17, “Mexico Complete”
Los Cabos International Airport, Baja California Sur (SJD)

We choose to go where we travel, and I chose to say “Mexico Complete” before I turned 30 and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that challenge is one that I was willing to accept, and one that I intend to complete.  I think my homage here should be clear to many of my readers, even if my Seventeen Goals is not quite as ambitious as President Kennedy’s goal of going to the moon, but the concept is relevant.  I chose to go to each and every of Mexico’s 34 World Heritage Sites, when I could have used those resources to relax on the beaches of Cancun or Acapulco or even wander the streets of Paris.

I chose to do all of this, and the other things, because I enjoy the challenge of it, and today, by saying “Mexico Complete”, I have become one step closer to fulfilling one of the loftier of the Seventeen of visiting every WHS in North America.  In fact, I was even able to say, “North American Tropics Complete”, and that’s saying a lot.  Two short trips to Canada and one to Iceland/Greenland are now all that stand between me and saying “North America Complete”, the two WHS in Hawaii are actually in Oceania, not North America, so it will be in Newfoundland and Labrador that I say, “North America Complete” in July.

This was a major milestone towards that accomplishment, though, and, by any measure, it is a cause for celebration, precisely because it was hard, possibly the hardest thing I’ve ever done.  I will reflect more tonight on how I arrived at being able to say the famed words this morning, both on my previous trips to Mexico and on the trips to Central America and the Caribbean, but this entry is about the events of today, up until I began The Return Journey.

After I closed last night, I published and had some odd dreams, Eomer and Gandalf featuring heavily in the dreams, my reading still fresh in my mind.  We woke up around 8 AM and tarried perhaps too much, not leaving the hotel until a little after 9 AM and unfed.  I calculated that we would need to leave the hotel at 11 AM for me to be comfortable on an early arrival here at the airport.  I put on my casual clothes for the ceremonial picture, and we drove down to the coast, near where the Plaque was.  Roberto had showed me his picture from a previous visit, and it was the perfect spot for a ceremonial picture.  Since Carnival was going on, La Paz had made a spectacle of it, and there were booths and rides and stands, all unattended on a Saturday morning, as we walked.  There were also lots and lots of portable toilets.

We got to the Plaque, and next to the Plaque was a huge circle of portable toilets, obstructing the view of the coast.  I broke down laughing.  The irony of it.  After spending four years visiting the other 33 WHS, here I was at the last one, and the perfect vista was blocked by portable toilets.  Once they realized that I was more amused than disappointed, Roberto and Elias joined in the laughter.  We agreed we’d take one photo with the Plaque, with the portable toilets in the background, and we’d take our ceremonial picture behind it on the beach, with the perfect vista.  I lit up an Hoyo de Monterrey and gave Roberto a Graycliff.  We took our picture with the Plaque and then stepped down onto the beach.

Roberto looked at me expectantly as I looked around the beach and the coast.  He knew the words that were coming, along with the significance of them.  I would delay no further.  It was time to claim it.  “Mexico Complete,” I announced.  We shook hands and congratulated and thanked each other.  It was very much a team effort.  We took our ceremonial picture, and it was perfect.  I knew that the wind of the beach would spend the thin cigar quickly, so we stayed on the beach until the cigar was nearly done.  That was it.

We went in search of souvenirs, and I found what I wanted.  Meanwhile, Roberto and Elias sat down for breakfast.  I joined them for coffee, but I had no appetite.  I would not have breakfast or second breakfast or elevenses.  In fact, other than some chips, I would not eat until I sat down for lunch at 2 PM.  The service was brutally slow, and it set us back by half an hour, but I had built in over an hour of Dutch time, so we were good.  After breakfast, I relit my cigar, and we headed to the car.

Before long, we were at the hotel, and I finished packing and changed into my travelling suit.  We went back to the car, so began The Return Journey, which, as is my tradition, I will recount in its entirety once I get back to New York.  There would be Many Partings, indeed, but that will be recounted in time, as well.  There and Back Again, that was what needed to be done.  We had finished the there, and now it was time to go back again.  On that note, I will close.


Benito Juarez International Airport, Federal District, Mexico (MEX)



Once again, my 2015 Christmas Pipe finds itself being smoked at an airport in a foreign country’s capital airport, the only places it has been smoked outside of the state of New York, as a trip comes to an end.  First it was LIM (Peru), then it was DOH (Qatar), and now it is MEX (Mexico), but those smokings pale in comparison to this one.  When I do the reckoning, I expect that this trip will pose a strong challenge to even the trip that ended at DOH, but, more importantly, this spot hold a special significance, the spot where I have previously reflected on six trips to Mexico, and the spot where I am now doing so for the seventh and, what may be the final, time.  Of all my trips to Mexico, this was clearly the most epic, and it is good that it would end on this note, after I have said, “Mexico Complete.”  Sitting in this spot reminds me of each of my other trips to Mexico, all of seven of them, which all ended, more or less, the same way.

The first one, though was more less than more.  It was in this spot that I sat, unknowingly, as the check-in cutoff time for my flight home passed, and I was forced to spend the night (and part of the next day) at the airport, missing a day of work with no reward.  It was a lesson hard-learned, but I never repeated that mistake again, even as I reflected here five more times before this trip.  I remember the second time, when Enrique dropped me off here, after I contracted him privately for my second trip like this.  I remember the third time, when I connected on the way back from Guadalajara and learned another lesson: exit the airport immediately after getting off your connecting flight, rather than trying to exit back through security.  That was the third trip I took with Enrique, where we met in Guadalajara, and it is the trip where Roberto and I met on Instagram.

All future trips would be with Roberto, and I would never see Enrique again.  I remember my first trip with Roberto, my fourth one of these trips, to the Yucatan, to see Chichen-Itza and other sites, and I came here after saying connecting from Villahermosa.  I remember my fifth trip, where Roberto and I toured central Mexico and said goodbye at the airport, before I came to this spot.  I remember my sixth trip, where Roberto and I toured the borderlands, and I came here after connecting from Hermosillo.  And, now, here I am, for the seventh time, reflecting on a trip to Mexico.  None of these trips were easy, and it would have been nigh on impossible for me to have to have done them without the help of Enrique and Roberto and Elias and the people working behind the scenes, such as my mother and Scott.  As I said earlier, I didn’t choose to do it because it was easy, but because it was hard.

That said, it was very hard, and it was even harder to say “North American Tropics Complete.”  That required many, many trips.  It required four trips to Central America, all of which were hard.  The solo trips to Panama and Costa Rica, which I did without the help of any guide, proved a particular challenge, but the CA-4 trip I undertook with Fernando to see eight WHS in 4 countries in six Days was very hard, and I couldn’t have done it without him.  Belize was challenging, but it proved easy in comparison to the others I have referenced.

Then, there were the trips in the Caribbean, to islands Americans rarely visit by plane or venture inland during their visits by sea.  The first one was to Dominica and Saint Lucia, the first such trip that I planned, and my inexperience in such trip planning made it difficult, but I pulled it off.  Next came the short trip to Antigua and Barbuda and Saint Kitts and Nevis (two countries).  Figuring out the flights was a bit of challenge, but executing it was not that bad, and it was actually one of my more enjoyable trips to the Caribbean.  Then came my first trip to Jamaica, of which I will not write.  After that was perhaps the oddest of my trips, to the three countries of the Windward Islands, only staying in their capitals.  The countries were, in order, Grenada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and Barbados.  The only WHS in that region was Bridgetown, the capital of Barbados.  That was also one of my more enjoyable trips to the Caribbean.

Then came Cuba, by far the most difficult of all, both in planning and executing, for obvious reasons, but I was able to plan a religious studies trip with an old friend, and we pulled it off with the help of a guide who was not happy with the full extent of the ambitious nature of our trip.  He did not realize how crazy we were, but we did it and we saw all nine WHS in Cuba in five Days.  Next was my return to Jamaica to properly visit their newest WHS, and easy task in the two Days I allowed for the trip, despite the difficult roads I drove.  My last trip to the Caribbean was the one to Hispaniola a month ago, which was extremely challenging, both in planning and execution, but I pulled it off.

I have not mentioned the two trips I took to the islands in the North American Tropics that are not in the Caribbean: Bermuda and The Bahamas.  Bermuda was easy enough, and it was a fun birthday trip with my parents, while Barbados was a 24-hour jaunt that was easy enough to plan and execute.  Reader, every trip that I recalled, every WHS that I visited, every national legislature that I saw, all of that was necessary for me to be able to say “North American Tropics Complete” today.  It is a region that I love dearly, and, other than my trip to the American portion of the region next month (The Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico), it may be quite some time before I return to this region.

As for this trip, where does it rank?  The delay at sea and failure to land at Isla Socorro, likely cost it a spot in the top ten, but we shall see.  Currently, the tenth spot belongs to Israel, after The Last Great Summer Road Trip Adventure was dislodged when I got back from Australia.  I think, that if we had landed at Isla Socorro, seen the Plaque there, and had gotten back Wednesday morning, instead of late Wednesday night, it could make a play for challenging Israel and TLGSRTA, but, as it is, it fails against Israel, both in natural beauty and the joy of the experience itself, and it also fails against TLGSRTA for the reasons I mentioned.  It would probably have beaten TLGSRTA if Phase 2 hadn’t been so rushed, but it wasn’t so it didn’t.

That said, it was a great trip, and we had a great time, the three of us, in Phase 2, even if it was rushed, but the time on the boat seemed a blur, and I would have much rather been able to have traded one day on the boat for an extra day in Phase 2, but, then, if that happened, we never would have met Elias, so it’s funny how those things worked out.  Saying “Mexico Complete” (and “North American Tropics Complete”) was a momentous occasion, but it paled in comparison to even erroneously saying “Mainland US Complete.”

Phase 2 also paled in comparison to the drive across the Canadian Prairie, which I so loved.  Again, that it not to diminish this trip in any way, but it fails to crack into the Top Ten, if only barely.  I have enjoyed my trips to Mexico (and the North American Tropics), but I am glad to have said, “Mexico Complete” (and “North American Tropics Complete”), even if it means I will not return for quite some time.  On that note, I will close so that I can publish and get some dinner.  I will treat The Return Journey in its entirety from New York tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment