Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, February 17, 2017

Baja: The Experience - Day 0 - In Memoriam


“Baja: The Experience”

2/17/17, “In Memoriam”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York


When I last wrote, as I reached this Travelogue’s millionth word, I provided a rare insight into how these entries are produced.  What I did not mention is how they are distributed.  My Facebook post is one method of distribution, but a select few people receive it directly by email.  When I wrote that last entry, four people were included on that email, but henceforth it will be one less, as one of the members of that group has passed away since I last wrote.   These “prologues”, as he called them, were his favorite part, so it is only fitting that this one be written about him.  It is in memory that this entry is dedicated.

It will be a mundane entry, and perhaps it seems unworthy to dedicate such a mundane entry to such a great man, but he understood that value of life was in its mundanity.  To him, life in and of itself was something that should be celebrated.  It did not matter if we achieved greatness, it only mattered if we achieved.  It did not matter what we chose do with our lives, so long as we chose to live, chose to create life, rather than to destroy life.  He understood Objectivism in its purist form, even if he preferred to buy into his own version of the philosophy.

Our last discussion was about this very topic.  He placed community values above individual freedoms in many instances, and we would debate that topic in great depth.  We were working together on a thesis about whether cultural values could override moral norms, or if we needed to allow certain absolute moral principles that overrode all cultural values.  We both could have argued either position at length, but we were deprived of our chance to write our essay together on it.  I will continue that project in his name.

These were the mundane things about life that mattered to him, along with a hot cup of coffee and good conversation, both of which we enjoyed together numerous times.  His name was Eugene G. Schwartz, and he was a man who chose to live.  For over 90 years, he chose to live.  No trip to Southern California was complete without a sharing a meal with him, and next month I will return there to honor his memory, just as this prologue does.

This is the sixth time I am flying Aeromexico Flight 401, and, if the trip goes well, it is the last time I will do so for many years to come.  It is the fourth time I am meeting up with Roberto in Mexico, and it is the seventh time I am journey to Mexico to see World Heritage Sites.  I aim to say “Mexico Complete” this trip.  If so, other than a possible stop in Tijuana next month, I will have no need to return to Mexico for quite some time.  Usually I write something here about the familiar within the unfamiliar and the unfamiliar within the familiar, and, from 6 PM on, I did almost exactly the same thing as I did during my last trip to Mexico.  I will get to that in turn.

There is not much to report on Day 0.  It was a very busy day at the office, but I got my work done, and was out before 4 PM, which left me plenty of time before my flight.  Too much time, in fact.  Time enough to get bored.  I had my traditional pre-departure lunch from Hop Won, but I had to eat at my desk, since I was so busy.  After work, I lit up an Oliva and biked back to my apartment.

When I got home, I discovered that my shower had backflowed, and there was a thick black sludge in the basin.  I tried to rinse it out with a moderate amount of success.  I then backed up and transferred some files on my laptop and phone and went out for dinner.  At this point, from 6 PM on, my actions almost exactly mirrored my previous trip to Mexico.

I went to CPK and got bread and butter and seltzer to start, followed by crispy mac and cheese for an appetizer.  For my pizza, I got garlic chicken on thin crust.  After dinner, I lit up a Cohiba, and as I was about leave, the shower got worse, and my bathroom was now flooding.  The restaurant’s office was also flooded, so one of the workers had to clear out the basin for both the office and my shower.  The bathroom will require a bit of cleaning when I get back.  I then walked up to the bus with the rest of my cigar, stopping at Duane Reade to get some ibuprofen for my tooth, and waited for the 8:30 PM bus, which, like last time, came around 8:45 PM.

I was at the airport by 9:30 PM, but there was a huge line for security.  There was only one station open for some reason, and neither my business class ticket nor TSA PreCheck afforded me any expedited entry.  It was a long wait, but I had plenty of time.  At 10 PM, they brought a dog and opened another two stations.  I was through security ten minutes later.

I then headed to the Air France lounge and got some snacks and mixed myself a dry martini with half a measure of vodka and two measure of gin, shaken not stirred, of course.  I then sat down, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and lounge around a bit before my flight.  When I send the email, it will be hard remembering to not include the fourth name.

No comments:

Post a Comment