Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, February 16, 2015

A Long Expected Journey - Day 2 - Identity

2/15/15

Carlsbad, New Mexico

Well, this is it, the big one.  My readers who are familiar with Aristotle’s Three Laws of Thought will now which one is missing, and it’s the most important one: The Law of Identity.  “A is A, and A is not not A.”  “A thing is what it is and not what is not.”  “I am who I am, not anyone else.”  It should be clear that I will be focusing on that last statement in my philosophy section, in keeping with the more casual approach I have been taking to exploring these laws and giving them practical applications.  The philosophy will come later.  Today was a very important day for my new suit and water bottle.  It was their first (and second) National Park, and I think they enjoyed it very much.  Today, I did something that I will never do again in my life.  I checked off two new US National Parks in the same day, and it was epic and Official.  I am freezing out here.  Actually, I think the logical thing to do would be to finish this entry in my car.  That is exactly what I am going to do.

I am not quite sure how to compare recovering from my New Year’s in Quebec or realizing on the ship that I loved Vanessa like a sister to the night in Ephesus before I headed to see the ruins of Artemis’s Temple or tonight, after my two National Parks, about to head to a World Heritage Site in the morning.  What do they all have in common?  The 2012 Christmas Pipe of course.  Sitting here in my car is hardly the same as, wait, my coat’s in the trunk, I can put it on and then return to the bench outside.  Guess I need to pause again.

This bowl is going to be done even before I finish recalling the events of the day, isn’t it?  It seems like a lifetime ago that I left my hotel in El Paso, stopping for gas, coffee, and 7-11 on the way to the first stop, Guadalupe Mountains National Park.  I put on “Speak Now,” which is an all-around solid album, not a bad song into the entire album, but, excluding maybe the title track, no great songs, either.  During my Eurotrip, I learned that the best way to make sure the highlights of the day were recorded was to frequent smaller entries throughout the day.  That was not an option today, not on this schedule.  I got my stamp and pin at the VC before I headed to the hiking area.  I had the whole area to myself, so I knew that I would have no trouble making it Official.  I lit up my Montecristo [correction, H. Upmann] and prepared for a 2.3 mile loop.  Okay, this wind is ridiculous.  The bowl is done, and I haven’t even made my first site Official yet.  It took less than 15 minutes to smoke that bowl.  Indoors, it would have been close to an hour.  Guess I’m going to have to pause once more to go back to my room now.

That was pure fulfillment value, no enjoyment value.  I should have just risked the fine and smoked in my room.  With no further ado, the events of today.  Smoking my H. Upmann and blaring Speak Now from my pocket, I got on the trail.  2.3 miles should have taken me 46 minutes, but with the elevation and stopping for pictures, it would be much longer, and I knew the wind would kill the cigar long before that.  I said to my suit and water bottle something like, “Guys, this is your first National Park.  It’s a big day for you guys.”  I did not expect a response, nor did I receive one.  A suit is a suit, and a water bottle is a water bottle.  It is not part of the nature of a suit or a water bottle to be able to respond to a statement like that.  In yesterday’s entry, I wrote how there are three people I text every day.  Today, knowing that I would be off the grid for most of the day and on too tight of a schedule to have a proper conversation when I was on the grid, I only texted one of them, and I only texted him in the following manner: a picture of each Official Uer I used, along with a number, just as I did yesterday.

When I texted him a picture of a landscape with the next number, the meaning was obvious.  I could Officially check off Guadalupe Mountains National Park.  I continued on the trail until I came to a natural stopping point and did not think I had the energy or time to go any further.  With the rest of my cigar, I turned around and headed back to the car.  The views during the hike were breathtaking, the elevation even more so.  When I got back to the car, I grabbed an Ashton VSG, took care of some other business that I couldn’t do on the trail, smoking the VSG and continuing to blare Speak Now as I did so.  When I was done, I saw the first person I had seen since I left the VC, and I was quite tired of Speak Now by that point.  I switched to RED, probably her best album since the 2006 one, the one I listened to for 100 hours in Europe and then for all the rest of my trips for the next few months.

As I was driving, I saw a sign that made my heart stop: ENTERING CENTRAL TIME ZONE.  No, no, no, no.  How did I forget about that?!?  My tight schedule had me arriving at the first VC in the second NP an hour before it closed, the same for the second VC.  That was thinking it was on Mountain Time.  On Central Time it would become a true Kotzebue Run.  I did not leave myself any time for food, either.  Would I have to cut out my second stop?  No, that would not do.  There would be no reason for me to ever visit Fort Davis NHS if I visited all the surrounding units.  This was a disaster.  Well, I made up lots of time on the road, having more than enough time to pick up some chicken nuggets at a Wendy’s and get to the fort almost half an hour ahead of schedule.  As I was driving, I had a very scary moment.  My GPS was a little unclear about what to do at a T in the road, a T that I did not even realize existed until I was about 15 feet from crashing into something.  I slammed on the breaks, managing to safely make the turn after a moment of confusion and panic.

I got to the Fort, and my phone had lit up with notifications.  I was far more interested in being back on the grid than I was with this old fort.  I got my stamp and pin and took some pictures while I smoked the rest of the La Duena that I had lit up on the road, but I spent most of the time on social media.  Checking my updates and posting statuses caused me to go a little over budget on time, but I was still half an hour ahead of schedule (technically half an hour behind, due to the time zone).  On the plus side, it meant that I would get to the hotel an hour earlier, an hour that I wound up losing to Dutch time once I arrived, but I’ll get to that later.  I plugged in the first VC into the GPS, and it showed a driving time of 30 minutes less than I had calculated, which would completely negate the time zone difference.

It was a boring drive until I was about 10 miles from the entrance, and my car started making a very strange sound every time I braked.  I know nothing about cars, so I would not have been able to fix anything other than a flat tire, and I didn’t like my chances of fixing even that, though I theoretically know how to do it, in principle at least.  I am dead tired after my exhausting day, 15 hours of nonstop driving and hiking.  I might even take a little nap before I do the philosophy part, but I need to wrap the adventures first.

I got to the National Park sign, and I checked all the tires.  They looked fine.  Oh, did I mention I was almost out of gas?  Well, apparently there was gas inside the park, along with food.  I was starving.  My readers know how hunger makes me tired and cranky and even depressed sometimes.  Today, I learned that it also makes me unable to make a decision.  Tiredness or drunkenness might prevent me from making a rational decision, but hunger prevents me from making any decision at all.  I stopped at the first VC and got my stamp and a pin.  I learned that it might actually be doable to get a third VC in, but it might have meant almost an extra hour of driving just for the stamp, and there was no guarantee I would make it in time.  I found myself hoping that I would get stuck behind a slow car so that my decision was made for me.  It was a crap shoot.  If the VC was opened 5-10 minutes past close, I might have made it.

I didn’t go for it, instead going straight into the main VC’s parking lot.  Reader, recall that strange noise?  It didn’t go away.  I looked under the car, nothing there that might be making that noise.  Then I saw it, some plastic thingy hanging down from the front bumper.  I had somehow managed to dislodge it while doing no other visible damage to the car, probably from when I went onto the side of the road to take a picture at a sign.  I pushed it back into place, enough to stop the noise, but it still looked kind of funny.  Why is this a problem?  Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona have something called Border Patrol Interior Checkpoints, places where CBP stop all cars and ask them a few questions.  They are looking for drugs and illegal immigrants.  Reader, if you were a CBP Officer and saw a car with the plastic underneath the bumper dislodge, might you not think that there were drugs hidden in there?  Might you not want to search the car?  I had nothing to hide, but it would be a long and nerve-wrecking process.  I did my best to make it look normal.

I then went into the VC, getting pins, a keychain, and a t-shirt.  I asked about the hiking options.  He gave me a bunch of different options, but I was too hungry to decide.  One option had the best views, but it would be too crowded to make it Official.  Another, by the north entrance, didn’t have great views, but it would be empty.  The third one, the furthest away, would have good views and not be too crowded.  I couldn’t decide.  I just kept looking at the map and asking more questions.  The longer I tarried, the less of an option the third one would become.  The gas station had frozen burritos to heat up.  I was too hungry to even decide which one I wanted, so I got two, along with a Coke Zero.

With my first bite, my strength returned, and I decided instantly without even thinking about it, without even consciously realizing I had made my decision until I saw that I was on the road to the third one.  The park is called Big Bend National Park, named after the big bend in the Rio Grande River, which forms the border with Mexico.  The third one was the one that afforded the best views of the Rio Grande, and it was closest to Mexico.  How could I not do that?  That is what this park is.  There were two places I wanted to stop, the Rio Grande River Overlook, and the Boquillas Canyon trail.

When I got to the overlook, there was little trail, and it was empty.  I would be able to make it Official overlooking the Rio Grande River.  I lit up my Montecristo and started hiking up the trail to the overlook.  That was when I saw another car pulling up.  If I wanted to make it Official, I would need to make all due course to get to the top before they were within view.  Well, once I got to the top, it was possibly to keep walking down a bit, so I had no problem making it Official, and the views there were great.

Once I finished the cigar, I would be able to check the National Park off of my list, so I decided to go the Boquillas Canyon trail to do a little more hiking with the rest of the cigar.  Just one problem.  There is the Boquillas Canyon trail, the Boquillas Canyon overlook, and the Boquillas Crossing.  The last one takes you into Mexico.  I did not have my passport, and I did not see any way of bringing a lit Cuban cigar back into the United States.  “I don’t want to accidentally wind up in Mexico,” I kept telling myself.  Cognizant of this possibility, I carefully made my way to Boquillas Canyon, but I found myself at the overlook, not the trail.  I took some pictures and continued to the trail.

I did as much hiking as I had cigar left.  When it was time to turn around, I asked my new suit and water bottle if they had a good day, saying that it was a very big day for them.  I told them that there weren’t that many National Parks left to see but that I would be taking them to see the rest.  Again, since a suit is a suit, and a water bottle is a water, I did not get a response.  That was it.  I put my hotel into the GPS, changed the music to 1989, and prepared to make my way to the hotel with all due haste.  It was looking like a 9 PM arrival, 9:30 PM if I stopped for dinner.  I probably should have stopped for dinner instead of driving nonstop for almost 4 hours.  I am now hungry again, having eaten nothing but crap all day.

I soon noticed a familiar green vehicle behind me.  I was going a little under 60.  The speed limit in the park was 45.  Was it CBP or a Park Ranger?  If it was CBP, they couldn’t care less how fast I was going.  If I was a Park Ranger, they might give me a ticket.  I slowed down to about 50.  The vehicle started tailgating me.  Seriously?  It passed me, and I saw that it was a Park Ranger.  They probably just wanted to get back to headquarters or go home, it being 5 PM on a Sunday.  The vehicle then sped up to 60, so I kept pace with it, only for it to slow down to about 30 and put its siren on.  Wait, was it going to pull me over for keeping pace with it?  I realized that he was warning me he would do exactly that.  I slowed down to 50 and never saw him again.

Okay, I really need to wrap up if I want to get a nap and still wake up before midnight.  I picked up another Coke Zero, an ice cream bar, and some snacks at the gas station.  I then headed to my hotel without stopping, other than at the Interior Border Checkpoint, which I passed with no hassle once the dog sniffed my car, getting to the hotel by 9 PM, smoking a Tatuaje and an Aroma de Cuba en route.  When I got to the hotel, I got caught up my social media even before I got out of the car.  Then my brother called me to discuss some details about his bachelor party.  That whole process took me to 9:30 PM.  Getting situated and filling my pipe brought me to 10 PM.  All the hubabaloo with switching spots while I smoked my Christmas Pipe meant that it was 10:30 PM by the time I got back up to my room, where I proceeded to write this entry.  Instead of being an hour ahead of schedule, the hour of Dutch Time put me write back on my original schedule.  I will now pause for a few minutes to rest my eyes before I continue with the philosophy section.


As soon as my head hit the pillow, I heard a voice (I won’t say whose) ask me why I couldn’t just finish this in the morning.  “Because I am who I am.”  That is the crux of tonight’s entry.  A thing is what it is and is not what it is not.  My pipe is a pipe, and it will never be a suit.  No matter what, there is no way that I could wear that pipe as a suit.  It just wouldn’t work.  While I can use the pipe in other purposes, it is nothing other than a pipe.  I could put water in the bowl and drink from it, but that does not mean it is a water bottle.  Likewise, a water bottle is not a pipe, even if I could figure out how to smoke tobacco from my water bottle.

A pipe is not a water bottle.  To claim that my pipe is a water bottle is a contradiction.  To claim that my pipe is anything other than a pipe is a contradiction.  There are no contradictions.  Point to any object in this hotel room, and I can say that is either my pipe, or it is not.  There is no excluded middle.  What is it that prevents contradictions and the excluded middle?  The Identity Law.

When people hear the word identity, they think of who they are, how they define themselves.  Good.  “I am who I am.”  That is a statement that will make sense to people who have never read a page of Aristotle.  A person’s identity is comprised of all their attributes, their strengths and weaknesses, their virtues and flaws.  “I am who I am.”  That means not only that I am the person who is comprised of those attributes, but also all the paths that led to this point.  If you are happy with the person you are, you cannot regret the bad things in life that brought you to that point.  If you are not happy with the person you are, change it, and do not dwell on the past.  There is no excluded middle.

The pipe will never be a suit.  It cannot turn itself from briar into wool, but humans can change themselves.  If there is a flaw you have that bothers you, change it.  Otherwise, you must accept yourself for exactly who you are and make no attempt to hide it.  That does not mean that you should go shouting every attribute of yourself from the rooftops.  That does not mean you have an obligation to reveal every detail about yourself to someone you’ve just met.

Reader, imagine I go on a first date.  I sit down at the table and say, “I’m Steven.  I smoke 3-5 cigars a day, I don’t care about strangers’ feelings, and I think abortion and gay marriage is wrong from a moral standpoint (though I support it absolutely as a legal right).”  That would be a supremely stupid idea.  Unless the woman sitting across from me happened to be Dagny Taggart wrought flesh, she would probably walk away, or, if she stayed, it would only be out of curiosity.  If I were asked for my position on gay marriage, I would not hide it.  I would not say what I thought my date wanted to hear.  I am who I am, and I would make no attempt to hide it.  Anyone who does so is a fraud.

To be dishonest is to commit an abdication of self.  You do not want need to be totally honest with someone.  If she asked my ATM PIN, I would not lie, but I would not give it to her either.  Now, reader, imagine that she was wearing a hideous pair of glasses.  There is no need for me to say, “I hate your glasses.”  If she asked what I thought of the glasses, my first response would be something noncommittal like, “They’re certainly unique.”  If she asked for a straight answer, whether or not I liked them, no excluded middle, I would have no choice but to honestly tell her that I hated the glasses.  To do otherwise is an abdication of self.  Once you starting lying to someone because you think it’s what they want hear, you have taken when step towards the destruction of self.  However, if you lie about yourself because you don’t think they would accept an attribute of yourself that you accept, you are committing a complete abdication of self.  If you accept yourself for who you are, there is no need to ever deny it.  You don’t have to volunteer it, but you should not hide it either.

Continuing down this path, I have long ago accepted myself as I am, but, other than my few close friends and family, I have had trouble finding people who accept me as I am.  When I found a girl who accepted me for exactly who I was, was it any doubt that I fell in love with her?  I did not love her for her virtues, and that was my mistake.  The fact that I loved someone merely because they accepted me for exactly who I was was as deep as an abdication of self as tricking someone into loving me by being someone I’m not.  Once she no longer accepted me for who I was, I stopped loving her.  I thought that I would love anyone who accepted me for who I was.  Three weeks later, I found someone who accepted me for exactly who I was.  Why have I not seen her since then?  One simple reason.  I did not respect her, and I could not have respected myself if I continued to date her.  I am who I am.  Despite the advice of my brother and the guys at the cigar store, I would have forever regretted going through with it.

Instead, I found my Objectivist values again.  That is who I am, the consummate Objectivist.  The flaws I see in myself are the ways that I do not live up to the ideal of John Galt, not the ways I embody his what might be perceived as “cold-heartedness.”  Those nine people I mentioned in last night’s entry, if some genie came up to me and said that I had to choose between saving one of their lives versus a billion strangers, I would not hesitate so much as a second to save the life of the person I loved versus 15% of the world’s population.  Each one of those nine people provide me more value than a billion strangers ever could.  That is probably an unpopular opinion.

Reader, think of the person, other than yourself, you love most in the world.  (I will not say which member of my family gets that title.)  Would you trade his or her life if it meant the cure for cancer?  If it meant you could save a billion lives?  For many people it would be a tough question to answer.  For me, there is no hesitation, not for the nine people I have mentioned.  I am who I am.  That does not mean I should say that to every stranger I meet.  I do not view that apparent lack of compassion for strangers as a flaw.  I view as a virtue the love I feel for the people who have earned my love, the people who provide value to my life.

That said, I am not without flaws.  I do not need to broadcast all of my flaws in a public blog, but those flaws are things I want to change about myself.  The things I view as my virtues I do not want to change.  Someone else might categorize my flaws and virtues differently, but that doesn’t matter.  They are not me, and I am not them.  They are who they are, and I am who I am, and that is why I planned this trip exactly the way I did, not the way anyone else told me to.  On that note, I will close.  Tomorrow I will be heading to the World Heritage Site where I will tie these past three entries together.

No comments:

Post a Comment