Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, February 16, 2015

A Long Expected Journey - Day 3 - Who Is John Galt?

2/16/15

Carlsbad, New Mexico (Carlsbad Caverns National Park)

“Who is John Galt?”  It is the first line of Atlas Shrugged, but it a quote that is familiar even to people who have never read the book.  It is posed as a rhetorical question meaning, “Don’t ask questions that no one can answer.”  While it is all well and good to apply that mentality to what Kant calls the impossible metaphysical questions of god, freedom, and the immortal soul, but to apply it to every day life is to refuse to think.  It should be obvious to my readers of the past three entries that that is not a mentality I endorse.  It is in New Mexico, not far from where I now sit, that Dagny tried to answer once and for all, “Who is John Galt?  In the end, she finds John Galt, and she learns exactly who he is.

Quite simply, John Galt is the man who believes in the three laws of thought I have mentioned and lives his life accordingly.  John Galt is the man who lives his life free of contradictions.  When he discovers an apparent contradiction, he checks his premises and his logic, and he figures it out, rather than allowing himself to maintain the contradiction.  John Galt is the man who refuses to allow for the excluded middle.  He is the man who avoids wishy washy answers and half truths.  He demands yes or no answers to questions that require them and provides them in turn.  He is the man who evaluates his options and then rationally makes a decision, and he stands by his decisions.

Who is John Galt?  John Galt is John Galt.  He is who he is.  By the time Dagny meets him, he has achieved Rand’s perfect vision of an Objectivist hero, but he was not born that way.  Before he came to the point where he accepted himself for exactly who we was, he must have found his flaws and changed them.  He did not try to hide his flaws, instead doing all in his pwer to eliminate all of his flaws.  By the time Dagny meets him, he accepts himself for exactly who he is.  Since other people did not accept him for who he was he left.  He refused to support the people who did not want him, and he took with him the people who thought similarly, initiating a “strike of the mind.”  That is the man whom we meet in Colorado.

Who is John Galt?  John Galt is the man who lives his life the way he wants to, not the way anyone else wants him to, and he does not hide his true self from anyone.  That is the ideal to which I strive.  Other people may measure their worth by the acts of charity or value they provide to society.  That is fine, as long as they do not attempt to impose their morals on others.  I choose to measure myself by how good I am to myself, but what I can achieve without using force or fraud against others, about what I do for me.  Is that selfish?  You bet it is.  Maybe my next trip I will focus on the “virtue of selfishness.”

I actually have a little bit of time to recall the events at the caves before I head to my next stop.  I took too long getting out of the hotel, and the breakfast was disappointing.  I was half an hour behind schedule by the time I got to the entrance sign.  There would be a lot to do once I got to the VC, and I knew that I could not get my enjoyment value until I was able to stop thinking about what needed to be done for fulfillment value.  On the drive to the cave, I played my favorite album of all time: Let Go by Avril Lavigne.  Even after 13 years I am not tired of it.  Once I got to the VC, I looked for the plaque.

There it was! hidden behind a lecturn.  Seriously?!?  That’s the respect they are showing to their plaque?  Canada and Mexico could really teach them a lesson.  I went to the gift shop and got some souvenirs, but it didn’t feel Official.  I wouldn’t really be able to focus on anything else until I got my stamps.  I went to the bookstore, but they didn’t have the Official stamper.  The clerk there looked like he’d be more in place in Portland than Carlsbad.  I showed him what the Official stamper looked like.  They didn’t have it.  Alright then.  I used the one they had and took out my passport.  I happened to have the sticker in my folder, and I proceeded to stamp the passport...

.



..upside down.  “There’s nothing Official about that.”  It took me about five to ten minutes to do all of my stamping, and the clerk looked on as I did so.  I found out the dope about the caves.  Actually, I really need to wrap this up if I want to make my next stop.  The said the total walking to see everything would take almost three hours.  I did it in less than two hours.  As I headed to the natural entrance, a ranger stopped me to give me the orientation.  There would not be a Uer for an hour, until we got to the bottom of the cave.



Well, the entrance to the cave was pretty secluded, so I waited until there was no one in view.  “That’s Official,” I announced.  I was completely wowed by the cave, it putting Mammoth Caves to shame.  Sure, it was not as big, but the parts open to the public were more magnificent.  I stopped for Official pictures when lighting permitted and wallpaper pictures when not.  Two hours later, I was at the end.  There was a place to buy t-shirts and an elevator to the top, an elevator that ascended 755 feet in not much more than a minute.  I then went to the restaurant to get my Official meal in the park, and headed back to the car to resituate.  I got my computer bag, lit up my Cohiba, and headed to the picnic area, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get one last picture with the plaque and head to the next stop.




Albuquerque, New Mexico

Well, here I am, back where I started.  I will be flying home in five hours, which means I have time for a smoke and a meal in Albuquerque.  After I closed, I had a four and a half hour drive to the next site, which I wanted to do in one shot.  That meant I needed a full stomach, a full tank of gas, and an empty bladder.  I had just eaten dinner, so I went to one of the trails on the drive out to make it Official.  I stopped for gas on the way out.  Continuing my Avril Lavigne kick, I moved onto Under My Skin and lit up an Ashton.  I had an arrival time of 5 PM on my GPS, which was when the VC closed, but I had faith in my ability to make up time on the road.  I made up almost the entire thirty minutes I was behind schedule, also smoking a, what the hell did I smoke, oh, right, I got it backwards.  I had an E.P. Carillo first, and then an Ashton.  After I finished Avril’s 2013 album, I listened to Vanessa Carlton’s 2002 album and some of my favorite Taylor songs.

I got to the VC and got my stamp.  The park was called Salinas Pueblos Missions NM, but the pueblos were nowhere nearby.  That was how I had messed up my timing.  The clerk told me I could get to one of the sites by close if I hurried.  It was about 4:55 PM as I pulled in to the site.  As I got to the VC, I saw a car pulling out.  The VC was closed, and there was nowhere in sight.  That meant that I would have no trouble making it Official, but I was seriously worried about getting locked in if they closed the gate on me.  I took a quick walk around with an AVO and went into the car, putting on Les Miz.  I wanted to go to cigar store first, since the restaurants in Old Town would be open later.  I used my GPS to find a cigar store, but no one picked up the phone.

Once I got cell service back, I find one that closer to city center and open until 7 PM.  When I pulled into the parking lot, the lights were on, but there was no one inside.  I parked and walked up to the door.  To my surprise it was open.  The worker walked up out of the lounge, and I went into the humidor.  The prices were good, but the cigars were not in good condition.  I got four Padrons and two Flor del Antilles.  I went into the lounge, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will close so that I can head out to dinner and big The Return Journey.


Albuquerque, New Mexico (Old Town)

I hardly thought that it would be possible for this trip to be any more enchanting, but sitting here in the heart of Old Town is the perfect ending to a perfect trip.  I typically save the reflective entry for the airport, but, because of what I’m about to write, it should seem obvious that it is more fitting to write it here.  The Southwest is one of my favorite places in the country, the historic sites, the beautiful dessert landscapes, etc., but, while I have visited the Southwest many times, I believe that this is the first time I have truly experienced the Southwest.  No matter how wonderful this trip has been, it saddens me that I was not able to do my epic 11-day trip that I had planned when the government shutdown.  If this 3-day trip has been one of the best of my life, I do not doubt that that 11-day version would have made the top ten, maybe even the top five.

What are the top five?  In no particular order, the National Park trip I took with my parents a lifetime ago, my Eurotrip in 2013, Antarctica, Israel, Alaska.  Rounding out the top ten might be Greece, the WWI trip, the CA-4 trip, the stranded trip in California during Sandy, and, well can I lump all the 2- and 3-day stamp runs into the tenth place spot?  I love doing those.  I am on my own for 2 or 3 days, developing some of my best philosophy, collecting stamped brochures, and experiencing Our America.  It allows me to clear my mind or focus on only the things I want to focus on.

I do not think it would be immodest to say that I have developed some very good philosophy on this trip.  It seems such an obvious thing once you accept Aristotle’s Three Laws of thoughts.  If you love someone, you love them absolutely.  Assuming you are John Galt, assuming you live your life free of contradictions, assuming you are willing to exclude the middle, assuming you believe someone is who they are, you must accept that statement.

Assuming all of that it, if you desire someone romantically, it would be illogical not to be happy to be “just friends” with him or her.  If you find someone a desirable romantic partner, then you must also find him or her a desirable friend.  If you are friends with someone of the gender towards which you are oriented, it would be illogical not to consider him or her romantically, even if you reject the idea because of facts and circumstances.  If you want someone to be happy, that means you want him or her to be happy no matter what, so long as they do not change who they are, stop being the person you love.

As much as Taylor Swift wants to complain about the “Teardrops on her Guitar” or insist “You Belong With Me” she has to be happy for Drew if he is happy with who he has found.  In the first song, well she pretends to be happy for Drew.  In the second song, she doesn't bother to even pretend.  Why?  I will charitably allow that is because the girlfriend has brought him down, as the song implies, but she’d still be singing it even if the friend in the second song found the perfect girlfriend for himself, as Drew did in the first song.  She can be jealous and cry on her guitar all she wants, but that is a case of emotions overtaking rationality.

Dagny Taggart would never cry over any man.  Continuing my point, if you want to be John Galt, you can never hide who you are.  Every attribute of yourself, you either accept or want to change.  The middle is excluded.  Reader, how many people do you know who hide their true selves, who pretend to be people they’re not while making no attempt to change themselves, the “phonies” as Holden Caulfield would call them.  I think that John Galt and Holden Caulfield would get along quite well.  Hmm, idea for a short story.

Anyway, I’m cold sitting here, and I should probably explain why I’m sitting out in the cold, but I’ll wrap up the reflections first.  There are 401 units in the National Park Service.  The ones I visited today brought me to 221.  That leaves 180 units.  Saying I can visit 6 in a weekend trip, that leaves 30 of these trips that I can take.  Granted, some require more time, but those will be done as separate trips.  If I do four of these per year, that will allow me to take these trips for another 7 years, by which point another 20-30 units will be added, which would have to be visited on a more sporadic basis.  Anyway, I probably have a decade’s worth of these trips, and that makes me very happy.  Within a decade, I fully expect to be married with kids, which means that I can start taking my family to revisit the sites I have already seen once I get my wooden plaque, and that, too, makes me very happy.  Other than my distraught on Saturday, I have been extremely happy this entire trip, and I almost don’t want to go home.  It’ll be even colder there than it is out here.

Okay, why am I sitting out in the cold?  My computer was almost dead when I left the cigar store, and I realized with a bit of dismay that there would be no place for me to smoke and charge my laptop at the same time.  That meant basically either walking around with a cigar or doing about four hours of writing at the airport with no cigar.  Neither was a good way to end the trip.  I picked out a restaurant in Old Town, Southwestern fare, and put it into my GPS.  I was surprised how empty Old Town was.  Plenty of parking, no one walking around, the shops and restaurants practically empty.  I was immediately struck by how enchanting it was, even in the dark.

I knew that I would want to write an entry here.  Maybe one of the trees would have an outlet.  I then saw a gazebo, and guess what they had?  Outlets.  Perfect.  I bought a blanket at one of the gift shops, and the other one would be open until 9 PM.  I walked to the restaurant, and they had outdoor seating.  Even though no one else was sitting there, they said I couldn’t smoke outside.  Well, that was disappointing.  That reminds me of a humorous exchange I had with one of the girls from the ship at the airport in Ushuaia as were waiting to board the plane.  I had pulled out my bag of cigar labels.  “What’s that?”  “All the cigars that I smoked on my trip.”  “What do you do with it?”  “Put it in a box with the bags from my other trips.”  “And when that box gets full?”  “Put it in my parents’ attic and start a new box.”  They did not approve of that, implying that I was a hoarder.  I didn’t care.  I am who I am, and I had no desire to change that particular aspect of me, nor did I see it as a flaw.

Anyway, I finished the cigar and went inside.  I got their appetizer sampler plate, which was delicious, along with a local beer, which was not so good.  I couldn’t finish the plate.  I then went to the gift shop.  After I was done there, I lit up my Flor del Antilles, put the souvenirs in the trunk, got my coat, computer bag, and the blanket and headed to the gazebo.  The blanket was big enough to both sit on and wrap around my legs at the same time.  I plugged in my laptop and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.  I suppose that I will need to formally close out this entry at ABQ, but this is the triumphant entry.  It’s been a great trip, and I’m a little sad to be going home.  The good news, though, is I’ll be coming back in the spring to do the World Heritage Sites in the northern half of the state.


Albuquerque International Sunport, New Mexico (ABQ)



I guess I could technically say, “After I closed in Old Town, I headed to the airport and got to my gate with no further ado, where I proceed to write this entry, which I will now close, along with this trip.  Next stop: blah blah blah.”  That would be boring, though.  It’s true.  That’s exactly what happened.  I cleaned out the car and packed my bags.  I stopped for gas and wiped down the ash and tobacco leaf.  The airport was practically empty.  Security took only a few minutes.  I headed to my gate, actually the gate across from mine, since in it was quieter.  I took out my phone and opened Facebook.  My heart skipped a beat.

Reader, remember those nine people I mentioned the other night, the nine people whose happiness and pain I can feel as if it were my own?  The one on that list whom I most adore, I think of her almost exactly the way I think about my cousin.  The “facts and circumstances” with my cousin being, well, the fact that she’s my cousin, and my aunt would make for a hell of a mother-in-law.  I am closer, however, with my friend than I am with my cousin.

She was travelling to DC this weekend.  This morning she messaged me that she was concerned about getting home tonight.  Sure enough, her flight got delayed by two hours, but she posted a picture of herself on the airplane.  When I opened up Facebook, her mother had posted that she was stuck in DC.  No, that wasn’t right.  The flight was just delayed by two hours.  Nope, the flight was in fact cancelled.  I was saddened.  I then checked Google News.  The airports, along with all federal office buildings, in DC were closed.  The city was practically shut down.

When would the airports reopen?  When would she be able to get on a flight?  So many questions raced through my mind.  Reader, you might be tempted to tell me that that’s not my problem, and you’d be right, but that’s not the point.  No, the point is, someone I loved was going through something rough, and I was sad, not because it had any effect on my daily life, but simply because she was sad.  What would John Galt have to say about that?  His answer would be quite simple.  She provides me with value in my life, the friendship we share something that I treasure.  When I see a picture of her smiling, or she texts me excitedly about something that makes her happy, that makes me happy.  Should the inverse also be true?  If she is sad, should I not also be sad?  It would be illogical for me not to.

Granted, there is nothing I can do about it, so I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.  It’s been an amazing trip, but the time has come to close it.  Next stop: I have no fucking idea.  I haven’t planned any of my March trips.  They’re all up in there, but possibilities are Mexico City, the Carolinas, Philadelphia, and Louisiana.  I’ll probably try to do three out of the four.

No comments:

Post a Comment