Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Winging It - Day 0 - Pleasant Mornings

3/6/15
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York

Where will this flight be taking me?  Mexico City?  Carolina?  Philly?  Louisiana?  Somewhere else?  Well, my readers will have to wait until the end of this entry for the answer to that question.  I’m not even sure that this entry is necessary.  My flight is after midnight, which is still technically part of Day 0, unless I fall asleep before we take off.  Nothing of note happened during Day 0.  However, protocol dictates that I write this entry, even if I don't publish or promote it.

The past few weeks, my weekday mornings have begun in a most pleasant manner.  I wrote in previous entries about the girl whom I’ve come to love like a sister.  Well, quite a few mornings I have been woken up by a text from her, just a funny link that she wanted to share with me or something.  Otherwise, I’d send her a similar message, and we’d text back and forth about it.  I’ve had a bad cold the past two weeks, having trouble waking up.  When I got a text from her, I was instantly wide awake, the other mornings, my sleepy thought process has basically been, “Wake up so you can text her.”  I would usually then fall back asleep until her reply woke me up.

It was a fun game to play.  The sucky part about it, however, was that I could never do that with my ex.  I ask my reader not to take the wrong impression here.  I am not comparing these two very different girls, the two very different types of relationships.  I am saying that the casual friendship I have here, what I used to have with my ex before we started dating, what disappeared forever the moment I first kissed her never to return, is the better part.  I accepted what we had as normal because I was convinced that I loved her, ignoring all the red flags that our relationship killed our friendship.  I took a chance, and rolled the dice.  It’s a choice I would have made very time.  I just wish it had worked out differently.

What is sucky is that now that I know what it’s like to have a friend you love text you 50 times in a day, I realized what I was missing out with my ex, why our relationship was doomed for failure the moment it began, why I should I have ran the moment it started to fall apart.  Ironically, the night that I realized I should have run I was supposed to be going to Mexico.  I am flying to Mexico tonight.  Alright, enough about my failed love life.  They just changed our gate, so I need to pause to relocate.


Day 0, briefly.  I slept fitfully, and, when I finally did wake up, it was 8:39 AM, and I needed to shave and shower.  While I could send 1000 text messages without shaving and showering, sitting next to the cute girl in my philosophy class required both.  There was no time to both text and shave and shower.  I chose the latter.  The texts could wait until I got to work, and so they did.  There are three people in my life I text every day, three people whom I love very dearly.  When I last went to Mexico, two years ago on this very flight, on a Friday in May of 2013, there were zero, or maybe one.  If it was one, it is my best friend, one of the three people I still text every day.

I have another close friend, and we communicate on Facebook almost every day.  In fact, we hang out more than I do with anyone else.  My best friend has a girlfriend who takes up most of his time.  It's tempting to say that I'm pissed at him for not making time to see me, but the truth is I'm more pissed at my ex for not wanting to spend the kind of time with me his girlfriend does with him.   I know that I would make the same choice he is making, and it’s a choice I’d make every time.  An interesting adventure with him, with which I really had no part was that he was going to Canada and needed to get his passport from Scarsdale.  My mom brought it in.  Rather than having her bring me the passport, and me give it to him, and I had them coordinate directly.  It worked perfectly.

I got my pre-departure lunch at Hop Won, and lit up a Cohiba en route to class.  I left the cigar in my usual spot outside and went upstairs.  I sat near the cute girl, and we made eyes at each other throughout the class.  I guess I need to talk to her.  Every time she looked at me, I felt I like was back in 10th Grade Spanish class.  I really need to talk to her.  Otherwise it goes from flirty to creepy real fast.  After class, my cigar was gone, so I lit up a Winston Churchill, leaving it in the cigar shop.

After 5 PM, no real work got done, and me and my male coworkers chatted about a variety of issues.  I was supposed to meet Raymond at the cigar store at 6 PM, and we would go to my place to watch a movie before I took the bus to the airport.  That didn’t happen as planned.  I left with one of my coworkers to get pizza before I went to the cigar store, but we sat down to eat, so that took some time.

When I got to the cigar store, they told me they had thrown out my cigar.  It was a joke.  They had just hid it.  I relit it, and Raymond and I walked to my place.  We watched two episodes of Star Trek while I packed, and I missed the bus.  I took a taxi to the airport.  When I got there, I was way too early. I checked in, but they couldn’t print my boarding pass.  I wrote a WIJG entry, got my boarding pass, went through security, and went to my gate, where I proceeded to write this entry.  They announced the gate change, so I moved, where I finished this entry.  Boarding is almost done, so I will need to close.

No comments:

Post a Comment