Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Winging It - Day 2 - Unfinished Business

3/8/15

Temascaltepec, Mexico, Mexico (Piedra Herrada Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary)

When I travel, it is my goal to leave no unfinished business, to fully check off my list what needs to be checked off, to make sure that I get every photo, stamp, and souvenir that I need.  Sometimes it is inevitable to have to return, poor planning or facts and circumstances prevent visiting everything I would like to see, time or seasonal closures, but I always do my best to avoid it.  That is what today has been about: unfinished business.  There were two things I was unable to include when I visited two years ago: the Olympic Stadium (not open to the public) and the Monarch Butterfly Reserves (not open in May).

In order to see the Olympic Stadium, you have to buy tickets to see a soccer match.  The butterflies are leaving next weekend.  This was my last chance for a year to see these two things.  Today, I finished my unfinished business.  I slept fitfully, constantly waking up with a dry mouth due to not having my sleep machine, and having a very curious dream that continued through each sleep cycle.  Eventually, I woke up for breakfast, which was slightly disappointing, though it was cheap enough, and the bacon was excellent.  Not wanting to forget my Sunday newspaper again, I asked Enrique if we could get a copy of El Universal.  He found one, and I lit up one of the Montecristo cigars I had brought from home.

We got to the stadium, and, unlike last time, when I was the only one there, it was packed for the soccer match with all sorts vendors set up.  I went to pick up my ticket, and Enrique came back with some bad news.  I would not be able to bring my water bottle or my belt inside.  I did not need the belt for the Official photo, but I kind of needed the water bottle.  I figured I would just wing it and try to go inside with it anyway.  First, though, I had to finish the cigar.  Olympic Stadiums do not get Cubans, but World Heritage Sites do.  The Stadium was both, being part of UNAM, which is a WHS.










I went to the famous plaque, shocked how many police officers were there, and finished my cigar starting at the plaque with the mural behind it that had the Olympic Rings.  I also picked up a keychain.  I went back and finished my cigar in the parking lot before proceeding to security.  It looked like I was going to be able to make it, but the second guard told me that I couldn’t bring it inside.  “Solamente agua.”  Nope, still couldn’t have it.  Fortunately, there was a woman outside working as a bag check, and I trusted her with my most valued possession.
















I went inside, and the magic struck me.  I was finally inside.  I took a few pictures and sat down a bit before going to retrieve my stuff.  Once I got the water bottle back, I took a picture.  I was inside the gates, so I counted it.  I made my way back to Enrique.  The game had not started yet, and we made our way to the butterflies.  I fell asleep en route, waking up in need of a U.  We pulled over, and then I lit up an Ardor, which was not finished by the time we arrived.









There was a tourist village at the base, which had all the perfect souvenirs.  I will be getting them
later.  After I finished my pipe, we got me a horse.  There was zero chance I could make it up the hill at this elevation, barely being able to walk across the tourist village.  I lit up a Padron, which I happened to pick up in New Mexico, and mounted the horse with ease.  We were soon on our way, and quickly reached the place where I had to dismount.  My guide told me that I had to leave the cigar, so I smoked it for a bit more before ditching it.  It was a five minute hike to the top, but it was brutal.  We saw some
butterflies en route, but the nest was at the top, which was shockingly beautiful.  I sat down, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can do what needs to be to make this WHS Official and then begin The Return Journey.






Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico

As the sun sets over Mexico’s Federal District, I find myself once more at a familiar site, just as I was this morning.  The Palacio del Belles Artes was one of the sites we visited two years ago, being as it was, I believe the nomination photo for the Mexico City WHS.  The reason I am here writing this entry is because, once more, I’m winging it.  I have taken care of all of my unfinished business, even getting a selfie with the Cohiba that I lit on the way down and a butterfly, I think.  When we got to the bottom, I loaded up on souvenirs, the prices being as cheap as they were everywhere else.

I was absolutely starving, so I suggested to Enrique that we go to the restaurant by the parking lot.  No, the food was no good, he insisted, there were some restaurants in town.  Okay, fine.  I soon saw some roadside restaurants, but we weren’t stopping.  Why not?  Well, by, in town, he meant the big city, which was an hour a way.  I couldn’t wait that long.  I was furious.  Also, one thing I have learned from my travels in the North American tropics (Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean), the absolute best meals you can have are these roadside restaurants.  Nothing compares.  Further, I would be able to smoke outside.  He had just driven by a dozen of them.  I had some more cookies, and he said there was a place ten more minutes up the road.  It was much bigger and, I imagine, not as good, but the meal was perfectly decent.  I lit up a Winston Churchill and ordered a nice meal.



My plan was to go to one of the best restaurants in town when we got to Mexico City, then we’d go to the airport.  What I felt more than anything was exhaustion, and I knew that my appetite would not recover in two hours.  Further, the restaurants I wanted to go to were closed or closed early on Sunday.  Hmm, what would we do?  He said that I could walk around downtown a bit.  Ah!  Perfecto!  Then he told me that the opera house, the iconic Palcio de Bellas Artes was hosting the world-famous Mexican Folk Ballet tonight.  I would have enough time for a smoke beforehand and could still make my
flight.  Alternatively, I could leave at intermission, which would give me enough time to get to the airport and write a good reflective entry, along with uploading my photos, and have a final cigar.  I’m not sure what I’ll do.  We stopped at an ATM so I could get the rest of the money to pay him, and we discussed a trip to Guadalajara in September.



“It’s not just for show,” I just thought to myself as a thirstily took a large sip from my world-famous water bottle.  It truly is world-famous.  This morning, when we were at the Olympic Stadium, as we were leaving the car, Enrique made sure that I had my water bottle.  Then, when they told him that I couldn’t bring my water bottle into the stadium, without my prompting, he explained that I always take a picture with my water bottle.  I did not tell him about that.  He had just figured it out from observation.  Okay, so we got downtown, and the guy with the ticket met us there.  I found some steps where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can try to upload my photos.  I will save my reflective entry for the airport.


Benito Juarez International Airport, Mexico

It is all so familiar.  Here I am at the same airport, sititng, I think, in the same spot, as I smoke a cigar, just as I did two years ago, before my world started to go to hell.  The last time I was here, though I arrived at the airport over two hours before my flight, I missed my flight.  I didn’t miss it.  They just wouldn’t let me on.  I might as well paste in the original text:

“So, I missed my flight.  More accurately, they wouldn’t let me on the flight.  I had the wrong time for the flight, since they changed it, and it was actually thirty minutes earlier.  Since you need to check in with the kiosk two hours early, I had just assumed that it was because I had requested an exit row, so I smoked my cigar.  I had this bad feeling, so I ditched cigar and went to check in.  They wouldn’t let me check in, and I kept get the ring around.  Finally, I got alternative answers that you need to check in 75 or 60 minutes early.  Guess what!  I has only 70 minutes early when the first person told me 75 minutes, and I was 55 minutes early when the second person told me 60 minutes.  I begged and pleaded, but they couldn’t do anything, even though they called a supervisor.  That was crazy.”


Well, this time I’m prepared.  I arrived at the airport almost four hours early, which gives me plenty of time to smoke my cigar and get to the counter in time.  The last time I was here, I told Enrique that I would see him again in December (of 2013).  This is the very trip I would have taken back then.  Why did it take me another 15 months to finally do it?  I guess the simplest answer is “life happened.”  I have already discussed all the “life” that has happened since then, so there is no need to go into that any more.  Actually, as I smoke my last 2014 Cigar of the Year, the Oliva V Melanio Figurado, I will leave all of 2014 behind.  I will not write about “her” anymore in this blog, nor will I dwell on the ills of the past.  What happened, happened.  Instead, I will think about the good in my life, but that is not what this entry will be about.  This is the reflective entry, and I will reflect on the trip, not on my life.

About a year ago, I had just come back from a grueling week-long trip to Central America, seeing the true Central America, not visiting the tourist spots, seeing all the capitals.  “Who goes to Honduras?” my dad had asked me.  Well, it turned out that his best friend and his wife had gone there, and they were coming over for dinner.  We started to talk about our trips.  Okay, I’ll rephrase.  She talked about her trip while the rest of us sat there quietly, practically unable to get in a word edgewise.  “Did you go to Tegucigalpa?” I had asked.  I can’t remember if she was unfamiliar with the capital of the country she had visited or if she said that she just went to the airport there.  She said something that, even a year later, stuck with me.  “No, it wasn’t one of those kind of trips.”

In other words, they didn’t go to Honduras.  They went to a beach that was located in Honduras.  Whatever smidgeon of respect I had for her instantly disappeared.  By extension, my respect for my dad’s friend diminished for being married to her, and my respect for my dad for being friends for the with the man married to her.  Okay, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration, but I still can’t believe she said that, that she would so “poo poo” the idea of going to the capital, of experiencing local culture, that she would actually spend her entire time on some overpriced beach resort and have the nerve to tell people that she went to Honduras.

“I love the Caribbean, but I hate the beach.”  That is something I have said before, and it applies equally to Central America.  The North American tropics is one of the most fascinating and beautiful and remarkable places in the world.  The only place I have visited that comes close to comparing is the Middle East, and they both experience hot climates, which makes me very tired, so I wind up spending too much time in the car napping and missing out on the beautiful vistas.  When people think of Mexico, they think of Tijuana and Cancun and Acapulco (is that the right one?).  That’s not Mexico.  Tijuana is a tourist town that’s practically a suburb of San Diego.  Cancun and Acapulco are beaches located in Mexico.

What I have seen these past two trips are places I encourage each and every one of my readers to visit.  If you want to go to the beach, go to Atlantic City or Miami or, if you feel a need to leave the continent, one of the Greater Antilles, but there is so much more to be seen in the North American tropics than beaches.  From Mayan ruins to old monasteries to splendid biosphere reserves, it is a region ripe with natural and cultural heritage, stuff that you cannot experience from a beachside tourist resort.

Call up Enrique and have him take you wherever you want in Central Mexico.  He’ll charge you about per day what you’d spend for lodging at a tourist resort, and your hotel here will cost you less than your meals at the tourist resort.  Your meals here, including alcohol, will probably cost you less than your alcohol expenditures at the tourist resort.  About those meals, whenever you are in the North American tropics, your best bet is those roadside restaurants, the ones that have non-descript names and signs with the Coca-Cola logo or that of the local beer company.  Drink the local beer, and eat fresh food that will taste better than anything you’ll get at those tourist resorts.

My first day with Fernando when we went to Central America, we stopped at one of those places to get fried chicken.  For dinner, we ordered room service from our hotel in Guatemala City, the best hotel in town.  He was shocked when I told him that I enjoyed the roadside meal more, and he said that he had to tell his girlfriend that the American liked the roadside chicken better than room service from the hotel.  The mountains here are so beautiful, too, but the elevation is a bitch.  I get winded walking more than a few feet at this elevation, and going up a flight of stairs leaves me gasping for breath.  However, it’s all part of the experience.

I have about another dozen trips to the North American tropics, and I look forward to each and every one of them.  It is a region that simply does not get boring to me.  When I left Enrique today, I told him that I’d see him in Guadalajara in September.  I hope it won’t be alone.  It would be wonderful to introduce a dear friend or a girlfriend to this region, while at the same time introducing Enrique to her.

Alright, it looks like I have enough time to write about my time at the ballet, since The Return Journey didn’t begin until I left the ballet.  After I closed, I headed to the ballet.  Actually, this is going to be really short.  The ballet was wonderful, and I truly enjoyed this last minute addition, but it was not pure happiness.  All of my stresses and doubts soon returned, and I got tired of the same music, so I left after about an hour.  Enrique was waiting for me, and we headed to the airport.  He picked me up a much needed Coca-Cola Light en route, and we recreated our photo from last time when we got there.  I went to my old spot, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and check in.



No comments:

Post a Comment