Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, March 23, 2015

Song of the South - Day 3 - Homeward Bound

(3/22/15)
Atlanta, Georgia

I am really tired, so I will make this as short as possible. The flight kept getting pushed back, and I heard some talk that it might get pushed to the morning.  Eventually, I got the good news.  The plane was on the way from Atlanta, so I went through security after my second pipe (an Ardor and a Rinaldo), and I headed to the gate.  I uploaded my photos to Facebook.  I also published my blog, so this will be part of Day 3’s entry.  Once the plane got here and the passengers deplaned, it was the world’s shortest boarding process, everyone eager to get on the plane.  I might have gotten a few minutes of sleep, and it was enough that I felt like I would have the energy to go to the hotel instead of spending the night in the airport.

It was a bit of a hassle to get to the hotel, and I was starving.  They didn’t ask for a credit card when I checked in.  If I ordered room service, would it get charged back to Delta?  No such luck.  They wanted payment when they brought the food (a pizza and Diet Coke).  I lit up a Ramon Allones.  I neglected to cover the smoke detector, so it went off.  I panicked.  It was, however, not like Edinburgh, so a simple reset button stopped everything.  After I ate, I surfed the internet a bit, getting caught up on the news.  After that was done, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can ditch my cigar and get to sleep.  I’m only going to be able to get like 3 hours here, but I should get some more on the plane and the taxi, so I so I should be good for tomorrow, and then I can crash when I get home.


3/23/15
New York, New York

Well, here I am, I survived #TheSongOfTheSouth #TheExperience.  I even have enough time for a few puffs of a cigar and to write this entry before I head up to the office. After I closed, I finished my cigar and fell asleep.  It seemed like as soon as I fell asleep the wakeup call came.  I made my way to the airport.  It was quite crowded at 5 AM.  I picked up breakfast at Bojangle’s, even though I wasn’t hungry.  I figured that I would be hungry at some point before I got to the office.  I was right, and it was delicious.

I tried to fall asleep as soon as I got on the plane and put in an order for a bourbon.  Just I was falling asleep, a felt someone tap my leg.  My bourbon was ready.  I sipped it as I fell asleep.  When I woke up, we were landing, and the bourbon was gone.  I took a taxi to the cigar store, getting some sleep en route.  I lit up an Avo and shared some pictures and stories.  I then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing this trip.  Next stop: Florida and then to the Caribbean to finish off the Lesser Antilles.

No comments:

Post a Comment