Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, April 3, 2015

Spring Break 2015 - Day 0 - Beauty and the Beast

4/3/15
Aboard AA 1640, En route LGA-MIA


One year ago today was one of the most significant days of my life.  Without going into much detail, it was basically the day that I said to myself “pretty” doesn’t matter, that my ideal of a perfect woman had to do not with what she looked like but rather with what she thought like.

Excerpted from my personal journal, “4/3; New York, New York; Who is John Galt?  Is it possible that [redacted] from my philosophy class is my Dagny Taggart?  Never, and I mean never, have I met someone who so espouses and holds my core values [redacted] and can so well express them.  I am in love.”

If in my entire life, it was ever so rational to be in love with someone, it was her.  There was only one pesky problem.  She liked girls, too.  That’s not a mix and match scenario.  From that day forward, physical attraction never played much of a role in the way I have evaluated perspective mates.  Reader, you know as well as I do what the title of this entry will be.  What I don’t know is if I’m Belle, or if I’m the Beast.  I have spent almost my entire life looking for damsels in distress, girls I can “rescue,” “broken” things that I could make “whole” again.

What’s past is prologue.  I am well aware of the stupidity of this, how toxic this whole, “We accept the love we think we deserve” mentality is unless you are of unbreached self-esteem.  At that moment in my life, I was of unbreached self-esteem.  I was not ready to “accept” the love I thought I “deserved,” I was ready to pursue the love that I knew I had earned.  Lo!  There she was, the perfect woman, and behold!  The more she talked, the more I fell in love.

It was with sweet irony that her perfect foil was with us, too, the, okay, there is zero chance she is reading this, bimbo was also part of that group.  She aced the exams in our class, so she wasn’t stupid by any means, she was just very shallow.  Actually, she wasn’t even shallow, but she had the opposite values of me and the supposed perfect girl.  The “bimbo” was, of course, gorgeous.  Now, where would I take things at this point?  Would I take my chances on the “bimbo” and pursue the girls I had been pursuing in grade school, would I continue to seek out damsels in distress like I did at NYU, or would I take my life in a new direction and accept nothing less than the love that I deserved?

Well, what happened?  I fell in love with a damsel in distress.  She broke my heart, decided that she’d rather stay in her tower and be consumed by whatever dragons were attacking her than let me be her Prince Charming and rescue her.  Fine, fuck her.  I learned my lesson.  No good can come out of trying to rescue these damsels in distress.  I am never going to be anyone’s Prince Charming, nor should I be.  Life is not a fairy tale.

Now, to return to my question.  Am I Belle, or am I the Beast?  I do not consider myself ordinary by any means, though my deepest desire is to live a simple, ordinary life.  It is the opposite of Belle’s dream (to get out of that French Provencal town).  I am certainly not Gaston, but am I the Beast?  Am I cursed until I find someone who loves me for exactly who I am, until I find my Belle who can break the curse?

Or am I Belle?  Am I the guy who can see people for who they are, to see past their outer appearances, to love someone because of the person they are on the inside, rather than the beauty they show on the outside?  I would like to think that I am Belle in this scenario, but wasn’t that I why I stayed in my last relationship for so long?  Because I thought that I was the Beast?  Because I thought that I finally found my Belle?  Because I had found someone who accepted me for exactly who I was?

My two dearest friends are in very happy relationships right now.  To say that I am not jealous would be a lie.  One friend is male, one friend is female, and I've had a crush on her for as long as I've known her.  On the surface it might make sense to think that I am jealous of the female friend’s boyfriend because, well, for the obvious reasons, but it took me a while to realize how far from the truth that was.  She is like a sister to me, and, as gorgeous as she is, that is not how I think of her.  I am just as jealous of her as I am of the guy.  In fact, I might even be more jealous of her, since I know her better, and I can see how happy she is, and I can tell how perfect the guy is for her.

The same with my best friend, I know how happy he is, and I know how perfect the girl is for him.  Whether or not the girl would be right for me is not even a thought that crosses my mind.  It is like my brother’s fiancée.  I call her my sister.  With my female friends whom I love like sisters, the quote is “I don’t think of them that way.”  With my brother’s fiancée, and my best friend’s girlfriend, it is “I am incapable of thinking of them that way.”  If my best friend is practically my brother, his girlfriend is practically my sister.  Hell, I hear from her more than I do any of my female cousins.

So, what I’m driving at here was a contradiction that took some time to resolve, and I will entreat it more in my personal journal.  Now, returning to my initial question.  Am I Belle, or am I the Beast?  To the Beast, there was nothing special about Belle except for the fact that she loved and accepted him for exactly who he was.  Oh, that’s familiar.  That’s exactly how I felt about my ex.  What did I love most about her?  Not her hair, not her face, not her body, certainly not her brain or values.  No, I simply loved her because she accepted me for who I was, that’s it.

Reader, take a minute to reflect how low of a value of self that puts there.  To love someone for that reason you can only be the Beast.  There is no way around that.  You are saying that you have such a low sense of self-worth that you will love anyone who loves you for who you are, anyone.  Only a Beast could truly think that way, and that was what I was the last four months of 2014, a Beast.

After the breakup, I turned to my dearest female friend.  Okay, I’m going to stop self-filtering here.  Anyone who has made it this far is obviously interested enough in this that they won’t be concerned about me going into a little extra detail.  What did she say?  Did she tell me how sorry she was to hear that?  Did she tell me all the things your closest female friend is supposed to say?  Yes, she did.  She said all that and more.  She also said the three words that she shook me out of my funk and made me realize the same thing that she had made me realize in 2012 the night that I first met her, that I wanted to fall in love again, that no matter how painful a broken heart is, falling in love with someone, even someone you just met, is so wonderful that it makes the “high worth the pain.”

What did she say that woke me up?  She said that she always found my ex “dumb and annoying.”  I could not argue with her.  She was right.  Granted, she was single then, too, so we could be flirty with each other, and we were flirty with each other for about a month before she found her Prince Charming.  In that month, the month that I would have otherwise been moping and depressed, her friendship was pretty much the only thing keeping me going, texting her the only thing getting me out of bed each morning, but it was the stopgap that I needed to forget about my ex.

In the meantime, I went on exactly one date.  For the girl, it was probably the best date of her life.  For me, it was me being the perfect, charming gentlemen while I silently judged her for a flaw that was not her fault but that was fatal to a long-term relationship.  I needed to decide if I wanted to be Belle, or if I wanted to be the Beast.  I chose to be Belle.  I chose that I would find someone who was perfect on the inside, someone who would fulfill my emotional and intellectual needs.

In the meantime, I was on a downward tailspin.  I needed to regroup.  My whole world was going topsy-turvy while I struggled to figure it all out.  I buried myself in meaningless pursuits.  Actually, just one at a time.  The first one was to see every Oscar-nominated film before the Oscars, all 56 of them, even the foreign documentary shorts.  I saw 55 of the 56 films.  Then that was over.  Meanwhile, with my best friend holed up with his girlfriend practically every minute that he didn't have class, I haven’t seen him since, well, since the Super Bowl two months ago, I think.  That hasn’t stopped us from messaging each other every time we do something “Official,” but I needed a new group of friends.  I found it.

Then I developed a major Disney obsession.  I think I’ve watched five Disney films a week for the past four weeks or something, and I’ve watched Beauty and the Beast five times this week.  It was like I was back at NYU.  Okay, so I had my real best friend to talk to about the serious stuff, to tell the kind of things I really can’t tell anyone else.  I had my new group of friends to hang out with every night.  I had two very dear female friends who were texting me every day.  I had all the right pieces, but it’s like eating cake batter.  It tastes good, but it makes you sick, and it can go bad very quickly.

That was exactly what happened.  The house of cards would collapse a few times a week, and my world would stop while I rebuilt it.  Every time one card fell, I would focus on the card on the table rather than the other cards that were still standing.  My life was in shambles, and my work life was suffering.  Reader, remember the cake batter reference?  Have you ever baked a cake but were too tired to cook it so just ate the batter raw?  Of course you have.  That was what was happening.

I had no desire to pursue the baked cake, to make the necessary effort to start dating again, to find my Belle (or did we say I’m Belle, and I need to find my Beast, an awful metaphor, but I mean the girl who was wonderful on the inside, with her outer appearance being irrelevant).  When you have most of it, there is no real incentive to try to get it all.  Where do I go with this?

Well, this Florida trip has been a transformative time in my life for each of the past two years, and it has been a significant moment in the Travelogue, though this will be the last time I do the week-long attachment to the trip.  The 2013 trip was when I began the Travelogue.  The 2014 trip was when I began publishing it.  I do not know what turn the 2015 trip will take for the Travelogue, but I do know that I am at a pivotal point in my life right now.

In 2013, I was just starting to discover my Objectivist values, and it was the first time that I had decided I would become John Galt.  It was about two months after I got back from Israel, and I had found someone whom I was attracted to for who she was, not for what she looked like.  It helped that she happened to be beautiful, but that wasn’t important to me.  She could have been the Beast, and I still would have loved her for who she was (and if I keep telling myself that, I might actually believe it).  I still love her very dearly, but I no longer harbor any romantic feelings towards her.

What happened?  Well, I asked her out.  She agreed, though I had a feeling in the back of my mind that it was somewhat reluctantly.  It was the weekend before I flew to Florida that we finally went out.  It was the first real date I had been out on in, well, fuck, since I was 13.  Reader, what do you think would happen if some who hasn’t driven a car in 12 years gets behind the wheel of a Ferrari?  Yeah, exactly.  I wrecked it.  The Beast was a better date on his first date with Belle.  We had no chemistry, and she politely told me how nice it was to get to know me, but I think we both knew there was not going to be a second date.

What did I do?  Well, I realized something, and I’m not not going to explain what I mean by this, but the meaning should be clear.  John Galt is the Objectivist hero.  Dagny Taggart is the Objectivist heroine.  Therefore, they are perfect for each other.  My reader will have to look up the Objectivist views of love if they wany to better understand my metaphor.  Okay, here goes.  She was my Dagny, but the thing about Dagny is that she only wants to fall in love with John Galt, and I sure as hell was no John Galt, so anyone who would be my Dagny would not be interested in me so long as I was not John Galt.  What did I do?  I resolved to become John Galt.  It took me a year, but I did it.

In the meantime, well, returning to the car metaphor, I realized that I needed to start dating some Mazdas and Camrys so that I didn’t wreck it the next time I went on a date with a Ferrari.  That was exactly what I did.  Fast forward to a year ago today, and there she was, talking to me in the back of the bar.  I had found another Ferrari, and this time I was ready.  I was John Galt.  I was the perfect guy that my ideal girl would love.  I was Belle, and I had found my Beast (again, not using this to imply that she was bad looking).

What did I do?  Did I find out if there was something there?  Yes, but I was in love with someone else at that time, too, the girl whose name I will no longer mention.  Why was I in love with her?  Well, here’s the irony.  I was in love with her because she was Liking all of my Facebook posts, because we got a long so well, because I knew that she would accept me for who she was.  However, I did not realize that she was a damsel in distress.  I thought that she was just the Belle to my Beast.

Reader, are you catching the irony?  This time last year I was in love with two different women, one because she was the Beast to my Belle, the other because she was the Belle to my Beast, or so I thought.  I was at a crossroads of my life when I went to Central America this time last year.  I had finally come to the point of full actualization of my Objectivist values, and I was only interested in dating girls that fit with that Objectivist ideal of love.

My purpose here is not to give a full recap of the past two years of my life.  Instead I am giving a snapshot of where my life has been every time I made this trip.  Now, I have come full cycle, and I am ready to embrace my Objectivist values.  I am ready to be Belle and settle for nothing less than my Beast.  I’m going to stop qualifying that I do not mean an ugly girl but rather someone whom I love for who they are and not what they look like.

I was going to do the Day 0 stuff when I get to Hunter’s Run, but the entry I have here reflects, I think, some of my best work, and I want to publish it as quickly as I can to achieve maximum visibility, so I will do the Day 0 stuff and save whatever adventures entail over the next few hours for my Day 1 entry.  I woke up, showered, got ready, had a productive day at work, got my traditional Hop Won lunch, watched Beauty and the Beast twice while I was working, had a quick cigar, took a taxi to LGA, breezed through security, played my RPG a little at the gate, and got on the plane.  When we were airborne, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish it off.


Boynton Beach, Florida (Hunter’s Run)


Okay, so I will actually include this part tonight since I couldn’t publish on the plane.  Getting here was, in a word, a bitch.  It should have been about an hour of driving from MIA to here.  It was close to three hours by the time we landed until I was inside my grandmother’s house.  What took so long?  Well, getting out of the terminal took an hour.  It is a fucking huge airport, and I had to do a lot of waking, take two trains, and a few moving sidewalks, plus an escalator or two, and an elevator.  Then, it took some time to get my music situated in the car.

What next?  I lit up my Davidoff Nic Toro and was on my way.  Traffic.  Yes, at 11:30 PM, traffic on I-95 due to construction.  As I pulled onto the street that led to their community, the last song of the playlist (my top 20 Disney songs) came on, and I ditched the cigar just as it ended, perfect timing, only a few more minutes, or so I thought.  The first song came back on, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight.”  When I was driving there last year, it was “Sk8er Boi,” both classics, both bring back so many memories.  Well, I couldn’t go through the gate that was closest to their house, so I had to loop around.

Finally I got to the house, and my dad and grandmother were waiting.  I had a little snack and chatted with them for a bit.  Then I saw them, the old photos of me growing up.  I will focus on the theme of memories tomorrow, though I did spend some time looking at the photos.  /Photo album on the counter/Cheeks are turning red/You tell me about your past/Thinking your future is me/  Yeah, the girl whom I thought was my future should have been standing right there with me as we looked through the photos.  As I sang those lines, I no longer had any desire to keep looking them, so I went to the couch, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish for real and get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment