Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spring Break 2015 - Day 4 - Memories

4/7/15

St. George’s, Grenada

Well, here am I writing one last time from this balcony that has become my home for the past two days.  As I enjoy this view for the last time, I know with absolute certainty that this is how I will always remember Grenada.  It is funny, when you travel the way I do, the fleeting memories or views that become associated with each place you visit.  Quebec will always call to mind the Plaque in front of the Frontenac.  I cannot think of Israel but to think of Akko.  Germany will always call to mind racing down the Autobahn belting out Taylor Swift.  Dominica, the hilly capital of Rosseu; Saint Lucia, walks through Soufriere; Trinidad, that Easter dinner with the locals; Antigua, the “quaint” capital of St. John’s; St. Kitts, the even quainter of Basseterre where I spent so much time; and now, Grenada, this view, always and forever.

I have nothing but time today.  I slept in (by my standards), but I woke up around 7:30 AM to a beautiful sight: a ship in port.  I would be getting my flag pin.  It was 8:30 AM by the time I got out of bed and went down to breakfast, only having my favorites from last time.  Since I only had one plate, my coffee was not yet done, but I was able to get it to go, so I brought the cup with me and headed to the port.  There it was, open, open, open.  The city was so alive.  It is remarkable what a difference this one ship can make.  My first stop was for cigars, but they looked fake, so I move don to souvenirs.  The first place did not have flag pins, but the next one did.  Perfect.  I got other souvenirs.

There was an emergency proposal due soon, so I headed back to the hotel and lit up an Avo while I worked.  There were issues with the Wi-Fi, so I wasn’t able to get much done, but I enjoyed just sitting and smoking with the beautiful view.  Checkout was at noon, so I did have a time crunch there, but, as soon as I showered, dressed, and packed, I could return to this balcony.  I did just that, having to put aside my Rinaldo halfway through.

Once I was ready, I returned to this balcony where I resumed this entry, which I will now close, as I need to get on with my day, but I wanted to write from here one last time.  I will write more about memories later.  Oh, wait, a bit of adversity.  I called the hotel in Kingstown to let them know I’d be arriving late.  They said they didn’t have a reservation for me.  What the fuck?!?  Well, the hotels.com reservation didn’t push through for whatever reason, but there was another hotel next door that was my second choice.  I called them and they said a security guard would be waiting.  Perfect.  I booked it.  Okay, now I can close.


I guess I can actually write from here one last time.  After I dropped off my luggage, I headed across town to the restaurant, which was overpriced, but the food was delicious.  Oh, wait, I stopped to get cigars and rum first.  I wasn’t sure about the cigars, but the box of Partagas looked real.  It wasn’t sealed, but it was full, and, well, who makes fake Partagas.  The cigars looked, smelled, and felt real.  I lit one up at lunch.  They were definitely real.

After lunch, I walked up to Fort George, which had a great lookout, and back to the hotel.  I went back to my balcony, lit up an Undercrown, and started working on my “Hero’s Journey” piece.  Everything had been cleaned up, and the chairs moved slightly, so the view was off.  No one else would have noticed it, but I did, and I just couldn’t get that familiar view exactly right again.  Once I was done writing about the “I want” songs, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can start making my way to the airport.


Maurice Bishop International Airport, Grenada

As the sun sets literally and figuratively on my time in Grenada, I can reflect on my time here and the memories it will leave me with a lifetime of memories, though it will only like be two or three memories tops from each country, though I have no doubt in my ability to recall every detail of the trip years from now.  I wrote yesterday of the right way and the wrong way to do this trip.  Now, doing this trip the right way, it has the potential to make my list of top ten trips.  In fact, if I say “Lesser Antilles Complete” with no qualifications, if I never need to return to the Lesser Antilles, it will certainly make the list.

I love it here, and it seems the perfect way to complete my travels in the Lesser Antilles.  The so-called Greater Antilles just do not have the same allure.  I’m sure Cuba will be amazing, and Haiti will be unforgettable, but it won’t be the same as these tiny island nations.  I will always remember walking around these capitals, the contrast between how dead it is on a holiday versus how alive it is when a ship is in port.  Even on Easter, Saint Lucia was alive when the ship came to port, or, at least, the shopping area was.  It is like a souvenir shop in Vienna closing before midnight on New Year’s Eve, not gonna happen.  I will always remember that view from the balcony where I spent so much time.  I always remember that little restaurant where I ate my breakfasts.

What memories will Saint Vincent provide?  Barbados?  I don’t know, but I’m excited to find out.  It is so fitting that, two years ago, I began this Travelogue, and now, two years later, I have still recorded every trip, and it will be my last trip to these islands in quite some time.  If it weren’t for the heat, I’d want to move here.  I am all bitten up and heatstricken, but I love it because it’s only for a week before I get back to my air conditioned office and apartment and buy anti-itch cream for the bug bites.  The great thing is, I can remember this trip forever from the ashtrays and coffee mugs I buy, from the flag pins on my desk, from the cigars I bring home (well, that’s not forever), from the pictures I take, from rereading these Travelogues.

In a little over three hours, I will be landing in Saint Vincent.  At that point, Grenada will be nothing more than a memory, always and forever, just like the other 46 foreign countries I have visited.  Barbados will be my 50th country, and that will be a cause for celebration with some of Barbados’s best rum, which is also my favorite.  Alright, so how did I spend my last few hours in Grenada?  The first thing I needed was to get an adapter or two for my electronics, since Saint Vincent uses the same outlets as here, and I did not want to steal the adapter from the hotel.  I found one at a little shop by the hotel and got two of them, the price being insanely cheap.  Next, I went to the grocery store: water, a diet coke, and a small nutmeg ice cream.

That restored my sanity.  I headed towards the mall in search of taxi.  I wound up leaving with shot glasses for my coworkers who requested them, spices, and another flag pin.  Technically, I have three flag pins and have visited two Parliaments now, but I’m sure my reader knows what I mean.  Robin Williams, if you’re listening, I meant three flag pins, one from each country, and three Parliaments, one in each country.  After I left the mall, someone asked if I needed a taxi, as I had been asked all day, but, when I went inside, when I actually needed the taxi, no one asked me.  I had actually been wondering how I would get the taxi.  If I just shouted out, “Taxi!” would a dozen people come rushing up to me.

He quoted a price to me that was slightly more than the price from the airport, and the price kept going up.  Before I was done, I wound up paying double what I had paid on the way in.  I knew I was being scammed.  I said that I needed to stop at the new Parliament.  Okay, the price went up a little, but it was still less than I’d pay for a taxi from my office to LGA, half the price of what I’d pay to go to JFK.  He had no idea where the new Parliament building was, nor did the internet, but his cohort said it was at the “trade center,” just like the security guard had said yesterday.

I had a feeling this was going to be Goshen all over again.  When I got in the car, the driver told me that his cohort had given me the wrong price and that it was actually higher.  Seriously?!?  I suppose that I should have stuck to my guns at that point and insisted he honor the price or gotten out of the cab, but I was too tired to care.  We were soon at the trade center, and one of the workers was walking out, so he stopped in the entrance to ask her.  She walked around to my side, and we had a very interesting conversation.

I’m not sure I’ll get the quotes exactly right, but it went something like this.  “This is the trade center, where Parliament is holding their office, but they usually only meet during the day.”  “This building here?”  “Yes.”  “The green and pink one?”  “Yes.”  “This is the new Parliament?”  “No, it’s just the trade center.”  “But they’re meeting here now?”  “Not right now, no.”  “But, this is where the prime minister and the legislators come to meet?”  “Yes.”  “And they’re building a new Parliament?”  “Maybe.”

I thought that last answer to be quite “quaint.”  Jamaica Kincaid would be proud.  He then went to drive in, but, apparently, he had been blocking someone who wanted to come out, and the guy kept yelling at my driver, saying that a taxi driver should know the proper etiquette, that if he wanted to have a conversation, he should have pulled over.  All my driver had to say was “Okay.”  He just stayed quiet, finally asking if the other guy wanted to “start something.”  Alrighty, then.  Eventually, my driver just pulled around him, a tight squeeze.

I took my pictures, and, when I was done, I said, “Grenada,” pronouncing it “Greh-NAH-duh” before correcting myself, “Greh-NAY-duh Complete, and let’s see what Saint Vincent has in store.”  We were soon at the airport, and I handed him a banknote that was slightly larger than the price the cohort had quoted.  He didn’t want to give me any change, and I didn’t feel like arguing about it.  The total price was about what I’d pay to go to LGA with tip and toll.  Oh, did I mention that I dropped my bottle of rum and that broke?  I’ll have to get a new one inside.

I had over three hours before my flight, so I went to check in with LIAT.  I had to check my bag, and I was a little concerned about leaving my bag with them so early.  Actually, I should reclaim my sleep machine before I go through security, and a few cigars, too, I guess.  I sat down by the charger and then headed outside, where I lit up a Jericho Hill and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head to the gate.  Still have two hours before we board.


Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

“Is this how I’ll always remember Saint Vincent?” I asked myself as I looked at the view I would be experience as I worked tomorrow.  It’s not much of a view at night, but who knows how it will look in the day.  What memories will my adventures into the city hold?  I am within walking distance of Parliament and the marketplace, so I hope to say “Windward Islands Complete” by the time I’m done with my lunch break tomorrow.  However, for a while, I did not expect to be writing this entry here tonight.

When I closed, I wrote that there were two hours before I had to board.  That was at 7:18 PM.  I did not get on the airplane until almost 11 PM.  I was seriously concerned they might cancel the flight or skip the GND-SVD segment.  Reader, getting fucked by LIAT and spending five hours in a tiny airport with no real food might seem like a once in a lifetime experience, something that is a “quaint” part of your trip, something to look back on as an adventure.  You’d be right about that.  However, it is impossible to describe the panic you feel that your flight be cancelled or that no one will be waiting for you at the hotel when you arrive.

My original readers will recall that this is the second that this happened to me.  Two years ago, I had a similar experience at Melville Hall waiting for my DOM-SLU flight.  I have no desire for it to happen to me a third time, ever.  Okay, I need to pause to pour myself some rum.  Yes, I got the new rum, and I’m very excited to try it.


Well, that was disappointing.  It’s very smooth, but it lacks the mouthwatering flavor of Mount Gay.  Anyway, after I closed, I went to see if I could retrieve stuff from my bag.  The bags had already been taken away.  Reader, it was three and a half hours before my bag was on the airplane.  My flight was scheduled to depart at 9:35 PM, keep this timing in mind.  I went through security.  Wow, this stuff is as smooth as shit.  Okay, bad simile.  It’s as smooth as water.  I went to buy my rum and then food, but they just had sandwiches that looked awful, so I got a Diet Coke, which I had along with some chips from the grocery store.  I got situated with that and plugged in to the outlets.  There was free Wi-Fi there.  I was all set, so I uploaded my photos from the trip so far.

Meanwhile, my friend messaged me a picture from my apartment.  They were watching Lilo & Stitch (2002), without me!  I’m not sure if I was more upset that they went out of order (we have been watching every animated Disney film from Lion King (1994), in order, and the last one we watched was The Emperor’s New Groove (2000), so they skipped Atlantis (2001)) or that they didn’t wait for me to watch what is possibly the best Disney film of the 2000s decade.

After I was done with the photos, I reviewed a couple of inspection reports, hurrying to get them out before boarding was supposed to start at 9:05 PM.  Reader, if you’ve never flown LIAT, don’t, unless you absolutely have to.  It’s the worst airline I’ve ever flown.  There were two flights going out this evening, both supposedly at 9:35 PM.  One to Port of Spain and mine to Saint Vincent.  My flight was actually coming in from Port of Spain.  I heard the announcement for the flight to Port of Spain.  At 9:15 PM, I started to get worried.  Had I missed the announcement?  Was there are another boarding area.  No and no.

I found some businessmen sitting at a table nearby.  They were going to Saint Vincent, and one of them informed me that the flight was delayed by an hour, that it hadn’t even landed in Port of Spain yet.  10:30 PM was the new time.  “Best case scenario,” one of them added.  Lovely.  I logged back in and wrote two proposals.  Once that was done, I was left to my worries.  First, I tried to find the flight number for the flight that was bringing the airplane to Port of Spain.  By the time I found it, the flight had already landed there.  Okay, that was encouraging.  Once it left Port of Spain, I tried calling my hotel to let them know I’d be an hour late.  No answer.  That was less encouraging.  I had all sorts of visions having to find a hotel in Kingstown in the middle of the night.  It was Dominica all over again.  I kept trying to get an update on the POS-GND flight.

In the end, my update came not from my computer or phone but from my ears, the unmistakable roar of the plane landing.  It was a very quick boarding process, and it was open seating.  There was a free aisle seat in the back, right by the exit, so I could be the first one off the plane.  We were only in the air for 25 minutes, but the plane was extremely uncomfortable.  I’d have rather taken a boat up the Grenadines to Saint Vincent, but I never really considered that option.

I was one of the first to go to Immigration, so I didn’t have to wait on line, but I did have to wait for my bag.  Once I got my bag, there was a short line for Customs, and a taxi driver approached me as soon as I walked out.  The price to my hotel was cheap.  He said a number, once we were in the car, and I asked if that was EC or US.  He could have lied and said that it was US, and I wouldn’t have argued about the price.  He said that it was EC, which made it quite cheap.  It costs more to take a taxi across town during lunchtime in Manhattan (gotta love Citibike).

We got to the hotel, and we soon found the security guard.  He brought me to my room, carrying my large bag, so I gave him a small tip.  There is plenty of outdoor seating all around, and each room has a little porch with outdoor furniture (not particularly comfortable) and an ashtray.  I’m not sure if this seat will be my second home, or if I’ll move around.  I’m not sure what memories my time here in Saint Vincent will entail.  I changed into my pajamas and got myself set up on the porch, where I lit up my Tuesday Ser Jacopo pipe and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment