Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spring Break 2015 - Day 5 - "Be Our Guest"

4/8/15

Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Yes, this view is how I will always visually remember Saint Vincent.  Tonight is, most likely, the last night I will spend in the Windward Islands for quite some time, unless I decide to jet off to Martinique at some point, which I doubt I will do.  The pictures can only begin to capture the beauty of these so-called Lesser Antilles.  It is more than just a collection of islands.  It is a way of life.  However, what the pictures cannot express are the people.  They are some of the friendliest people in the world.

Further, these countries are four of the safest countries in the world, as well.  There is almost no crime here.  In the time I have spent in the Windward Islands (and the Leeward Islands), I have never once felt unsafe.  Sure, I have been approached by beggars, but they were harmless.  When I was in Britain at the beginning of last year, there was a story on the news that a Briton and, I think, his wife, were killed on their sailboat at harbor in Saint Lucia.  It was so shocking that that would happen, that a murder would occur in such a safe country, that it was the top developing story all day.

These are islands that thrive on tourism, and, as can be expected, at every restaurant and hotel I have visited, I was invited by the hosts to “Be Our Guest.”  I have come across some surly hotel staff and even surlier wait staff in my travels, but not in the Windward Islands.  Here, it is always, “Be our guest.”  While I have not yet seen any singing candlesticks or clocks or teapots, I have always been made to feel welcome.  Can I smoke out here?  “Be our guest.  I’ll bring you an ashtray.”  I can approach any stranger on the street for directions, and they are more than happy to oblige.

After I closed last night, I could not connect to the Wi-Fi, so I just went to sleep, saving it for the morning to publish.  I headed to the breakfast area where the manager was quick to great me.  He all but said, “Be our guest.”  Come to think of it, he reminds me of Lumiere.  I had prepaid the room, but I needed to sign some paperwork, but first he made sure I was situated for breakfast.  I ordered the local special and coffee.  The coffee was good, finally, and I lit up a Winston Churchill.  He had also told me that they changed the Wi-Fi code.  I was connected, so I got to work on publishing my entry, finishing just as the food arrived.  The meal was as delicious as all of my breakfasts in the Windward Islands have been.  Actually, that might be what I miss the most.  Reader, if you ever find yourself in the Windward Islands, please, I beg you, try the saltfish, it’s delicious.  (“Don’t believe me, ask the dishes.”)  You might balk at the idea of having saltfish for breakfast, but, if you don’t, you are truly missing out on something.

After breakfast, I brought some more coffee back with me and got right to work.  For my next cigar, I opted for a, wow, I can’t remember.  It was an Aroma de Cuba.  After I got done everything I needed to do in the morning, I got ready to head to town.  My driver last night had told me that there was only one place in town that had souvenirs, and the receptionist had told me the best place to go for lunch (Cobblestone).  All of my eggs were in that basket.  Was Robin Williams still on my team?  Would I get that second flag pin?  I walked down the hill and towards the souvenir shop.  Parliament was in the same area, too, and the restaurant was there, also.  I ditched my cigar before I walked in.  It was a first-rate souvenir shop, and I was surprised how many locals were there.  I asked if they had flag pins.  They had two different types.  Jackpot!  They were overpriced, but I got both of them.

Reader, I think you know me well enough that if the flag pin was the price of my airfare, I still would have bought it.  I also got some other assorted souvenirs, including a shot glass and a beer stein.  I handed her my card to pay, but she said their machine was down.  Hmm, I didn’t have enough cash on me, so I asked her where the ATM was.  She told me, and I asked again for directions from someone else, but I couldn’t find it, so I walked back.  I had enough cash to pay for everything but the shot glass and the beer stein, and I figured that walking around with glass wasn’t the best idea, anyway.  I also got better directions to the ATM and to Parliament.

I decided to go to Parliament first.  The famous, historic prison was right there, too, the oldest building on the island and, to my surprise, still in use.  It looked like it could house 20-30 inmates, tops.  The prison was right in town.  Reader, imagine having a prison in Washington, D.C., right along the National Mall.  Of course not.  The prison is in some isolated location in rural Kentucky or Colorado.  I took my pictures there, then I went to Parliament.  This was it, and I was going to do it up right.  I hadn’t had my Cuban yet, so it wouldn’t be Complete until I lit that up, so I allowed myself a bunch of pictures without the cigar first.  Then I lit up the Partagas.

“Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Complete.  Windward Islands Complete, and it’s been amazing.”  It truly has been.  I walked around, and the bank was actually on the way to the restaurant.  I went in, and I took out how much cash I thought I needed for the rest of the trip.  That was a mistake.  I had forgotten that Barbados uses their own currency, not the East Caribbean Dollar.  I guess I should be able to use up what I took out, but I should have taken out half the amount.  Otherwise, I’ll need to convert in Barbados, but that will not be the best idea.  I still had plenty of cigar left when I went to the restaurant.  I suppose that it was technically outdoor seating, but smoking was not allowed there.  I could smoke on the balcony.

I asked if they could bring my food out there.  They couldn’t, but they would let me know when it was ready, and I could leave the cigar there while I ate.  That would work.  I then looked at that menu, and my heart sank.  It wasn’t local food.  It was burgers and sandwiches.  Hmm, I was actually in the mood for a good burger, ordered one, along with the local beer.  I brought the beer back to the balcony as I enjoyed my cigar.  It wasn’t long before my burger was ready.  The meal was delicious.  I retrieved the rest of my cigar, which got a little waterlogged from a brief rain spell while I was eating, and I made my way back to the hotel.  I ditched the cigar before I got back, but I was spent.  I needed to lie down in the AC before I got back to work.

Once I recovered, I went outside to do some more work and lit up an Ardor.  I was not doing well in the heat, and I needed to take a nap after my pipe, which I did.  I spent the rest of my time working inside, giving up the smoke for the AC.  A little before 6 PM, I came out and talked with the owner again.  He asked the chef where I could find a local dish I wanted to try for lunch tomorrow, and I am looking forward to having dinner at the hotel restaurant, though I don’t expect that they will be singing, “Be our guest,” but the service will be just as good.

I went back to my porch, where I lit up a Padron, answered a few emails, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get on with my evening.  I’m thinking “101 Dalmatians” tonight.  Or maybe “The Princess and the Frog.”  Wonder if Netflix works here.  Okay, I’m rambling, so I’ll close.



I was wrong.  It won’t be this view that I remember when I think of Saint Vincent.  It won’t be the amazing saltfish I had for breakfast.  It won’t be time downtown.  It will be when the manager and the waiter all but said to me, “Be our guest.”  It was almost three hours ago that I closed, and I’m now only getting back to my balcony, and I know that I need to write this entry before I watch my movie (“The Princess and the Frog”).  I finished the Padron and headed to the patio for dinner, choosing the same table as last time.  What would I order?  I chose the lobster.  It was a little expensive (not by NY standards), but I had the extra EC dollars to spend, and the waiter recommended that.  I also ordered a rum.

A few minutes he came back saying that the manager invited me to be his guest for a drink.  I was expecting the foreigner who had greeted me this morning, but it was someone else, an older local.  He was sitting at the bar, so I joined him there, and the waiter poured me a drink.  Reader, it was almost two hours before we parted company, and I was not bored for a single minute.  That is what I will always remember about Saint Vincent.

When people ask me if I met any interesting people this trip, I will gladly answer that I did.  There were two types of dark local rum, and the waiter assured me that I could try both.  Free drinks.  I like that.  It was difficult to understand the two of them, as they had thick accents.  Ironically, one of them would later say that he thought Americans and Canadians had very similar accents.

For two hours the three of us talked about everything and everything from politics to the places we’ve been to everything that is wrong in the world to whether or not there will ever be peace in the Middle East.  For the last question, I said, “Maybe not in our lifetimes, but never is a long word.”  He insisted that there never would be peace.  I said again that not for at least 20 years but not never and reminded him of the religious wars between England and France and how they are best friends now.  (This was at the end of the evening, I’m going out of order.)

We spoke about all the killing in the history of the world that had occurred in the name of religion, occurring for as long as religion has existed.  He said that he couldn’t understand how anyone could take another life.  We spoke about all the weird plane incidents of the past year or so.  How could someone get so depressed that he would crash a plane?  Having plenty of experience with depression, I answered him that he probably got to a point where life had no meaning, so he just didn’t care about his life or anyone else’s.  Once you are at the point that you could take your own life, so what if you take other lives with yours?  I’m glad that I have never gotten to that point, but I was able to understand it.  What caused depression, he wanted to know.  I explained that it is often just a chemical thing, something goes wrong with the wiring of the brain.  He did not know that.

We talked about politics, about American politics, about the different candidates, about the Clintons, about the Bushes.  When I say “we,” the waiter was often included.  He asked about Sarah Palin.  I explained that McCain was a very centrist candidate, so they needed someone far to the right on the ticket to get out the vote.  We both agreed that we liked McCain.  We spoke about local politics.  There are two parties, one to the left, and one further to the left.  I said that that was in such sharp contrast to the right-wing politics of Central America.  The countries looks so similar, but the militaristic culture of Central America is very different than what is here.

Wow, I’m toasted.  Four rums will do that to me, I guess.  I talked with the waiter about the murder in Saint Lucia.  He remembered that.  I asked about the prison.  There is one other prison and a women’s prison.  The prison in town houses 400 inmates, mostly “crimes of passion,” according to the manager.  He said that the prison was next to the courthouse as a remnant of colonial times, just like the cemetery was next to the hospital.  “That’s efficient,” I offered.  There is so much that we talked about that I cannot possibly hope to record it all.  I did not see a single other person than the three of us for the whole time.

They also told me where I could I get fried jack fish and that if I told him earlier he would have gotten some for the chef to cook here.  “Be our guest” indeed.  I might need a nap before my movie.  I asked my famous question about what makes Saint Vincent culture different from other islands.  At first they didn’t understand.  I rephrased it.  They said something about the Carnival and music and other cultural activities.  Not what I meant.  What about the people?  There is more of a diversity of talent, more connection to the sea, lots of seafarers.  Okay, that worked, but it wasn’t as good as the answer I got in Grenada.

Alright, so what about this meal?  It was not long before my lobster came, and it was delicious.  The manager went towards the lounge area so that I could enjoy my meal in peace, and the waiter poured me a second drink.  After I was done, I brought the drink to where he was sitting.  We talked a little, but something was missing.  Reader, what do I need for a conversation like this after a meal like that?  A pipe of course.  I excused myself and went back to my room to grab a pipe, picking up an ashtray from the room.  Oh, we talked about drug laws, which are very strict here.  I lit up my Maestro de Paja, and we continued our conversation.  They brought me a third glass of rum.  I had had one with my cigar earlier, so that made four.  I can’t remember the last time I’ve had four drinks in one evening.  At least I can sleep in tomorrow.

After the pipe, I got some dessert, and I lit up a second bowl.  At 9 PM, they started to close up, and a bit after that, the manager said his goodbyes, and we exchanged niceties.  I went back to my balcony, where I finished my pipe and rum and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and watch my movie.  I might need a nap first, though, if I do, I might not wake up…

No comments:

Post a Comment