Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Baltic - Day 2 - Across the Sea

5/24/15, “Across the Sea”
Stockholm Arlanda Airport, Sweden (ARN)

Enjoying a Montecristo in an airport smoking lounge with two gorgeous Swedish girls is definitely the perfect way to end my time in Sweden.  After I finish this entry, I will fly across the Baltic Sea to Helsinki, where I will spend the next day and a half.  Today is a travel day, and travel days are often wasted time.  My flight is not until 3 PM, and yet, I only had enough time for one site, a site that was thirty minutes from my hotel by metro.  I won’t have much time for activities tonight, though my flight lands at 5 PM, five hours before sunset.  The Olympic Stadium closes at 6 PM, but I should be able to visit Parliament and have a night out on the town.

Tomorrow will be a full day in Helsinki, and I can do whatever I want.  My time in Sweden has been rushed, while my time in Finland will be at a more relaxed pace.  I might even have time to take another jaunt across the sea to Estonia if I want, but I don’t think I’ll do that, instead preferring to enjoy Finland.  Fika, saunas, vodka, and, of course, the 1952 Stadium, that’s what Finland means to me.  I will make sure to find time to enjoy all of that, along with visiting the usual sites and getting the usual souvenirs.

I am almost out of Kroner, though I have one banknote that I might spend on a newspaper, saving the coins for souvenirs.  Finland uses the Euro, and the exchange rate right now is amazing, so good in fact that I am considering taking out an extra sum of Euros just to have for when the exchange rate goes up, though I will not be back in the Eurozone until 2016 I do not think (trips to Rome and Athens).  Alright, enough about my economic theories.

I slept in today, and I headed to the sauna.  Fuck, I just realized that I forgot to shower.  Oops.  The sauna has a shower, so I was planning on taking the shower there, but when I went into the sauna, it did not feel hot enough.  Sure enough, the coals were cool to the touch, and the heat source was turned off.  I went up to the room, the shower forgotten, changed back into my pajamas, and headed down for breakfast.  I love the Nordic-style breakfast, the sliced meats and cheeses and, of course, coffee, it’s all so good, they just need to learn how to properly cook bacon.  However, I had no appetite, but I forced myself to eat, knowing I would not have another chance for an Official meal until Helsinki, having decided not to try to get Swedish meatballs for lunch, something I’m sure I’ll eventually regret.

I went back up, got dressed for the day, and went to check out, still groggy.  I headed to the metro, where I saw that the train to Morby Centrum was coming in 2 minutes.  I raced to get the ticket, and head down the stairs, but it was pulling away just as I got to the platform.  Time was a little tight, and the next train was not for ten minutes.  Reader, recall that I was still groggy at this point.  About five minutes later, I heard a train coming in the opposite direction.  I then remembered with a start that I wasn’t taking the Morby Centrum heading, that I was going the opposite direction, back toward Central Station (I can heard my dad recalling his famous Austria story, “Where are you going?”  “Vienna”  “Not on this train, you’re not.”), so I raced across the station, getting to the train just in time.  I then had to transfer to another line.  It took a while to get to the station, but it was worth not having to get fleeced on a taxi ride.

I walked to the WHS, Woodland Garden cemetery, which is noteworthy for its pleasing and novel architectural style.  I took my pictures at the plaques, lit up a Partagas, and made my way to the VC.  I’m not sure about the merits of smoking in a cemetery, but I was really just walking (with my suitcase, forgot to mention I had my suitcase with me) along a road through the cemetery, and I wasn’t exactly ashing on anyone’s grave.  I got to the VC, bought a sparkling water, and made my way back to Central Station, where I caught the express train to the airport.

After I checked in and went through security, I headed to Duty-Free.  Since this is considered a domestic flight (Sweden and Finland both being in the EU), I could not by any of Sweden’s famous vodka, but I did get two 5-packs of cigars.   I asked where the smoking lounge was.  They do not have smoking lounges here, instead having what they had in Vienna, these crammed little smoking cabins, about the size of, how would I describe it, the size of a handicapped restroom stall.  Up to six of us have been in here at one point.  I am the only one smoking a cigar.

Scandinavia is a land of smokers.  They like to drink coffee, and they love to smoke.  Finland is technically not Scandinavia, but I expect the same is true there, too.  There is also one seat here.  I have the one seat.  I am quite happy about that.  Once I was situated, I lit up a Montecristo and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can finish my cigar.  Boarding begins in 30 minutes.


Helsinki, Finland


It is lunchtime in New York.  Actually, if I was in New York, I’d be done with my lunch break by now.  My friends and family back home are at the beach or pool or getting ready for barbeques.  They have gone to visit family or else are relaxing with their friends.  What am I doing?  I am smoking a cigar in Helsinki, getting ready to go out to dinner at one of Finland’s premiere restaurants.  Not much has happened today, and this dinner should definitely be the highlight of the day (they have reindeer steak).  I will pass by Parliament along the way, but that’ll just be a photo op.

I have a pocketful of Euros, and I expect my bank account to be almost drained by the time I get back to New York, literally just enough dollars to last me until my next pay check.  It’ll be, I think, yes, three months, before I embark on another trip that will cost me more than meals, cigars, and souvenirs.  I can afford to make a small investment in the weak Euro recovering.  After I closed at Arlanda, I picked up my last fika and a newspaper.  I finished the fika before I got on the airplane, but I haven’t looked at the newspaper yet (it’s in Swedish).  It was a very short flight, only 40 minutes in the air, and I’m not sure if I fell asleep, but I rested my eyes the whole flight.  I realized that, other than at the check-in counter, I did not have to show my passport the entire time in the airport.  I only showed my passport to look up the reservation, and I could have done that at the machine by code.

When we landed in Finland, there were no immigration or customs checks.  In other words, you can fly from Sweden to Finland with no form of ID.  You can’t even fly from New York to Chicago without ID.  I went straight to the ATM, where I retrieved my Euros, got a taxi into town, and that was I finally understood why Finland is more continental Europe than Scandinavia.  It’s hard to explain, maybe it was the road signs, but it felt more like I was in Germany than I was in Sweden.  Granted, the love of coffee, vodka, and saunas is shared between Sweden, Finland, and Russia, but Finland owes more cultural influences to Russia than it does to Sweden, I think.  I don’t think the Vikings were ever in Finland, were they?  Norway, well that’s something else entirely.  My best friend had talked about doing this trip as a 24-7 week-long road trip, literally only stopping to eat, U, and take pictures, hitting every single WHS in Norway, Sweden, and Finland.  In the end, neither of us were able to do the trip that way, and here I am, getting ready for a relaxing stay in Finland.

I got to the hotel, perfectly situated halfway between the Olympic Stadium and Parliament, an easy walk to each.  As soon as I got settled in, I went straight to the sauna, my muscles store sore from climbing the fence at the Stockholm Stadium.  That done, I picked out a restaurant, and headed down to the smoking area outside, where I proceeded to write this entry.  Even though I have a smoking room, this seems a more relaxing place to write my entry.  I am just freaking freezing.  Usually, I’m fighting against time and battery when writing these entries, but I have enough charge to last me over an hour, it is still relatively early, and I have about an hour of cigar left.  The restaurant is about 20-30 minutes away.  I have simply run out of things to say, so I shall close and just write some proposals instead.



It is close to midnight, and the sun has set almost two hours ago, but it is still light outside.  Because we are so far north, the twilight will last for quite some time.  Sunrise is in four hours, so solar midnight is just one hour away.  This is another reason why I so love The North.  Other than Antarctica, nowhere on land in the southern hemisphere has that effect.  Obviously, it was more magical when I was on the ship playing charades at 2 AM when it was as bright as day, but the magic here is not lost, especially with ABBA playing from my phone in the background.  After I closed, I wound up reading Quora instead of working.  I left my cigar outside and went up to put on a little bit extra in terms of layers (socks and shoes, my maroon shirt as a jacket), retrieved the cigar, and started walking towards the restaurant.

I had trouble finding Parliament, which I knew to be under renovation.  It turned out that the whole building was blocked off, but I was able to get a somewhat decent photo before ditching the cigar (Winston Churchill, didn’t mention that earlier) and continuing to the restaurant.  The walk took me through downtown Helsinki and gave me some clarity into what I want to do tomorrow.  I got to the restaurant, and I realized once again there was more in common with Germany than with Sweden.

I got the “Taste of Finland” appetizer, a sampling of four different local specialties, and the reindeer steak, along with a local beer.  The appetizer sampler was delicious, the reindeer even better.  Meanwhile, I was scrolling through Tinder (more on that later) and Facebook.  Of all the people from the Antarctica trip, there is only one whom I absolutely certain I still love.  While we were on the ship, she was like a big sister to me, and she is the one person whose posts make me smile more than anyone else.  She is Moscow right now, and she posted a picture of herself in a killer dress (not revealing, just killer, as in an amazing dress).  I Commented on it, “I think my heart just skipped a few beats [heart eyes emoji],” not exactly the kind of the thing a brother would say to his sister, but not the kind of thing that I would say to someone I had romantic interest in, either.  Alright, more on that later, too.

The waitress then asked if I wanted dessert.  I got some bilberry (not blueberry) concoction, which somehow took half an hour to bring out.  Did they have to go pick the bilberries?  It was Germany all over again, and I’m sure it was intentional, but I just don’t understand why they think I wanted to sit there, scrolling through my phone for half an hour waiting for dessert.  If I was with a date, that would make sense, yes, but to wait half an hour to bring the dessert out for someone sitting alone makes no sense.  Maybe they just don’t have separate policies.  Should I just learn to start asking for my desserts to be brought out right away?  Is that even appropriate?  The dessert was delicious and worth the wait.

I lit up a Cohiba for the walk home, and I saw the evening star.  What did I wish for?  The same thing I have been wishing for since the Clinton administration.  I then sang the first few bars of “When You Wish upon a Star.”  As I was walking back, I found a spot with a better view of Parliament.  I guess I can take my picture there tomorrow.  I also found my souvenir shops, and I saw the Olympic Tower.  I’m going to punt on Estonia, preferring to save it for when I can do a proper Baltic trip (Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius), and I have even more clarity on how I’ll spend tomorrow.

I then started to become concerned that my best friend hadn’t texted me all day.  Did I do something to piss him off?  Maybe there was a Jewish holiday?  Yep, that was the case.  He would be off the grid for three full days, which meant that I need to make sure he had an epic Snapchat reel when the holiday was over.  I put on ABBA and started singing along to "Dancing Queen."  After I sent my Snaps, I wondered with whom I could share this magical experience.  There were plenty of people in my contact list who would have appreciated, but I knew who would appreciate it most.  My former co-worker, the one I’ve come to love like a sister.  I was right, and we texted back and forth quite a bit.  The electricity in the hotel is going out at 1 AM, and I’m not sure if the Wi-Fi will stay on, so this cut into the time significantly, but I didn’t regret the decision, not at all.  We finished texting, and I lit up my Ardor and proceeded to write this entry.

Alright, the love and beauty sections.  I’ll start with beauty, using the Tinder example for a specific reference.  To my readers over 30, Tinder is a dating app that is based on the shallowest of premises.  You see a picture of the girl and swipe left if you’re not attracted, right if you are attracted.  If you both swipe right, it gives you the option to message her.  Returning to my statement that Sweden has the most beautiful women in the world.  Perhaps the metric would be the percentage of women I’d swipe right using Tinder in that country?  I was not surprised that I swiped right far more frequently than I did in New York.  However, here in Helsinki, the percentage was similar to New York.  Granted, this a very shallow and subjective method for testing the theory, but it seemed to hold.  For my further ideas on beauty, I refer my reader to last year’s entries from this time.

Okay, love.  That is so much more complicated.  These girls I have mentioned that I love like sisters, why?  Why do I love them?  I can point to no rational reason.  I love them like sisters, and they make me happy whenever I get a text from them or see their posts on my social media, but that is for irrational reasons.  Two of them I now have rational reasons for loving, the text exchanges we have bringing me great value, but I loved them both long before we had these daily text exchanges.  I am hereby forced to conclude that love can be irrational, despite what Rand might argue, and it would irrational to dismiss to irrational love for one simple reason: we are irrational creatures.  There is no such thing as a purely rational man.  John Galt does not exist.  On that note, I close.

No comments:

Post a Comment