Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Unfinished Business - Day 2 - "I Shall Return"

5/17/15, “I Shall Return”

Taos, New Mexico (Taos Pueblo)

This is it, my big white whale, the WHS I have been trying to visit for over a decade now, and it has always been waiting just around the riverbend.  It was definitely worth the wait, now that I’m finally here.  It is perfect, and I love it here.  I don’t want to leave.  Just one small problem.  Reader, remember the Stamps and Plauqes I mentioned yesterday.  Well, the stamper is broken, and the plaque isn’t the Official one.  What do I do?  Do I mope about the fact that I can’t get my stamp and plaque, or do I forget about all of that and enjoy being where I am.  Of course, I chose the latter.  This is, I believe, the oldest living Native American community in the country.  For over 1000 years, Native Americans have been living in this little village, living much the same for the entire time.  As I sit in front of the river, smoking a pipe, in view of the Great House, listening to “Just Around the Riverbend” on loop, the magic is not lost on me.

This trip has been almost entirely about visiting Native American ruins, but this one stop is not about ruins.  It is an active community, a living village.  For a modest fee, we are invited into their home, to see how they have lived for over 1000 years.  To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing like it anywhere in the world.  Reader, do you see where I am going with this?  No?  Well, what I’m saying is two-fold.  First, I can forgive them for an unofficial plaque and a broken stamper.  Second, I shall return.  What are the odds that I do not come back to New Mexico at some point in the next two years?  It is my favorite state south of the Mason-Dixon line, by far.

This trip will leave a few NPS that I haven’t visited in New Mexico and, quite literally, a blank space in my WHS passport.  I shall return, and, by then, they should have a new stamper, but I want to return.  I want to return during one of their events to see more of their culture, to visit the other sites I couldn’t visit this trip.  New Mexico is called The Land of Enchanment, and it is a well-deserved title.  We got a slow start in the morning, but, in the end, we were at the site only a few minutes after they opened.  The fee was steep, even with the nominal student discount.  I asked if they had a stamp.  They did, but it was broken.  Fuck!  Couldn’t I just try to use the stamp manually?  No, but they had some stickers.  They would only give me two.  One for the passport, not sure what to do with the other one.  Of course, the simple answer is that I shall return.  Maybe she’ll write the date in my passport, that would be a good placeholder until I return.  If my mother was here with me, I’m sure we would have figured it out, just as we have figured it out so many times before at so many other WHS.

Again, I shall return, and, next time, I’ll call to make sure the stamper is working before I visit.  We walked around a bit, taking lots of pictures, and I was in total awe of where we were, the beautiful mountain in the backdrop.  Then we saw it.  The river.  We started quoting lines from “Just Around the Riverbend,” Connor being just as much a Disney fan as I.  It wasn’t long before I put the song on, which I have been looping for the past hour now.  I also found the perfect souvenir, a little big, but perfect, the replica of the Great House.  Connor’s brother was in the area, so we agreed he’d meet his brother for an hour while I came back here to do my writing.  That was exactly what we did.  I found a nice bench with a view of the river and the Great House, still looping “Just Around the Riverbend,” where I lit up an Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can write something in my personal journal and finish this pipe.


Santa Fe, New Mexico

My time in New Mexico is coming to a close, but it does with the firm knowledge that I shall return.  Whether in a month or three or a year or two, I shall return.  Here I am in Santa Fe, the famous, historic capital of New Mexico, and, instead of writing from the Capitol building as is my wont when I write in capital cities, I have elected to write in front of the iconic Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, the most famous landmark in Santa Fe, perhaps in all of New Mexico. I have found the northern half of New Mexico to be no less enchanting than the southern half, and this trip was far more enjoyable, my previous trip marred by personal issues, but I think I’m finally clean.  Reader, if you don’t catch that reference, well, I don’t think I want you reading my Travelogue.  Just kidding, it’s a Taylor Swift reference, and it has nothing to do with drugs or rehab.  What will my next trip to New Mexico entail?  Where will I be in my life?  Who might accompany me on the trip?  I have no idea, but I know that I shall return.  The next trip might even allow me to say New Mexico Complete, but that is not a necessary goal.  Another interesting turn of events is that one of my Instagram followers might be meeting us for dinner in Albuquerque.

After I closed in Taos Pueblo, I went back to the registration desk and asked about the Official Plaque.  Well, turns out they had it but it wasn’t up for display yet, and she told me they were going to put it up in a month or so.  Well, once the stamper is fixed/replaced and the Plaque displayed, I shall return.  For now, I have enough that I will be able to say in good faith at Glacier, “Mainland US Complete.”  We then headed to Bandelier NM, tarrying a bit too much on the way, cutting into our already tight schedule.  I had wanted an hour at Bandelier and half an hour at Pecos.  It was now looking like half an hour at each site, if we didn’t stop for food, but I was starving.  We didn’t even see anyplace to stop.  Fortunately there was a snack bar at Bandelier.  We spent about an hour there, enjoying the ruins and the views.  Including the time to eat, we spent about an hour there, which meant we were looking at precisely a 4 PM arrival at Pecos NHP, and I was getting hungry again.  I don’t why I’ve been so hungry this trip, having four big meals a day.

I had lit up my smallest cigar, an Aging Room, for the thirty minutes we spent walking around Bandelier NM, and I saved the rest for Pecos.  I called to ask if it was possible to get the stamps like at 3:59 PM and then walk around for a few minutes.  She said they locked the gate right at 4 PM.  Fuck!  We went for it anyway.  It was 3:58 PM when we pulled into the parking lot, which was still filled with cars, a good sign.  I got out of the car and grabbed my cigar while Connor parked.  I saw someone coming out, another good sign.  I then heard a click, a bad sign.  The door was locked, a very bad sign.  She opened the door, saying they were closed.  I showed her the clock on my phone.  3:59 PM.  She let me in, and even let me buy the pin while I got my stamp.  Perfect.  I did everything else that I needed to do to make it Official, possibly making it my shortest NPS hit ever, including relighting the cigar and taking a ceremonial picture.  We then went to leave, but the gate was locked.  Fortunately, someone was coming the other direction.  She let us out.

We stopped at DQ for a very late lunch before we headed to Santa Fe, straight to the Capitol Building, where we took our Official pictures, and I lit up an Opus X.  Our next stop was the Plaza, and Connor wanted to drive.  I walked and, due to issues with parking, got there long before he did.  We went back to the car to get my laptop and headed to the Cathedral, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can find Connor at the gift shop and get my souvenirs before we head back to Albuquerque.


Albuquerque International Sunport, New Mexico (ABQ)

Here it is, the triumphant airport entry, time to close out the trip.  Well, technically I’m sitting outside the aiport, so I won’t be able to formally close out the trip until I get to my gate, but I can do the reflections here.  I have already done most of my reflecting, but what I have not really reflected on is the joy of travelling with a good friend.  When I last went to New Mexico three months ago I did not know Connor at all.  I had seen him once through our mutual friend, and, within three months, the three of us become “the three best friends.”  The person whom I call my best friend, well he is engaged, and I barely ever see him anymore.  In fact, over those three months I just saw him once.  The other two people whom I might consider to be among the people I call my best friends are the two girls I love like sisters.  There is almost nothing I would not do for either of them, but one lives in Florida, and I haven’t seen her in over six months, haven’t spoken to her on the phone in four months, but we text every day, and that is more than I can say of any of my female cousins or my brother’s fiancée, whom I call “my sister.”  The other girl, we used to text every day, too, but we’ve stopped.  I have brunch with her and her fiancé about once a month, but we never hang out for any kind of extended time.

By most definitions, Connor and our mutual friend would have to be considered my two best friends.  Snapchat would certainly agree by the insane amount of Snaps we send each other.  Reader, do you see where I’m going with this?  In the past three months, my life has changed so much.  I mentioned the Taylor Swift song, “Clean,” and that’s exactly what that is about.  After my breakup in January, I immediately turned to my two female friends for comfort, no, not physical comfort, emotional comfort, which they both readily provided.  They both said exactly what I needed to hear.  One called my ex “dumb and annoying,” the other said I was one of the most “genuine” guys that she’d ever met.  In short, what they were both saying was that I was too good for my ex, and they were right.

However, I was not ready to move on.  One provided me with the emotional comfort I needed and, as long as she was texting me every day, I could ignore the pain that I knew was inches away from sweeping in.  Actually, no, it was not emotional comfort that she was providing me.  It was distractions, texting me every day about Taylor and Disney and Harry Potter and movies.  It was exactly what I needed, a change of pace.  I embarked on my Oscar quest, something to thoroughly distract me.  It worked, for a while, but the pain was always inches away.  While I was in New Mexico last time, it came rushing in, and it almost ruined the whole trip.  My female friends were only able to keep the pain at bay for so long, not that they know what they did for me, and I doubt they are reading this entry.

To truly forget about the pain, to move on, I needed the company of my male friends, and the three of us started hanging out almost every night for about three months, now, drinking and watching movies, mostly Disney movies.  It was truly the change in pace I needed.  About a month ago, I started dating again, since I was truly ready to move on, and things look promising in that regard.  All in all, I have managed to put the pieces of my life together in the past three months, to stop using my female friends as crutches, to develop genuine friendships with my male friends, to look to enter again a meaningful relationship with someone who won’t toy with my emotions.  In other words, I think I’m finally clean.

To that end, what about travelling with Connor?  We had a great time together, all the phone we have together hanging out amplified over the 50 or so hours we’ve spent together, not fighting at all.  We share the same tastes in music and food, and he was fine with my agenda, so we had little to fight about.  We enjoyed hearing each other’s stories, we got all of each other’s jokes, and we played along with all of each other’s pranks.  In short, he was practically the perfect travelling companion.  That is not to diminish the other travelling companions I’ve had, but my mother is never going to ask if I want to stop at the river so that we can take Official Us.

It’s weird, though, we’ve hung together almost every night for like three months now, and we won’t see each other again for six weeks.  Well, here I am at the airport, getting ready to close out this trip.  After I closed in Santa Fe, we headed to the gift shop.  It’s funny, other than airfare, souvenirs were the biggest expense of the trip, more even than meals or the hotel room.  I usually buy things for everyone I know, but I decided not to do that this time, though I might give away some arrow heads.  I just got a notification that my laptop was going to restart in 15 minutes, so I’ll have to wrap up.

We headed back to the car, and I got the text from my Instagram follower, saying that he couldn’t make it and that we’d have to meet up when he was in NYC, great plan (not being sarcastic).  We headed to El Pinto for dinner, the most iconic restaurant in New Mexico and had a great meal, three plates to share, which was actually way too much food.  I was surprised how cheap the total was, since, in my mind, I ate three dishes.  Afterwards, we went to get gas, where I also got my newspaper and headed to the airport, where I proceeded to write this entry while I smoked an Avo.  Connor sat with me for a bit before we said our goodbyes.  On that note, I’ll close, since my computer is about to restart.  I’ll have to formally close out my entry once I get to the gate.


Here I am at the exact same gate I am that I found myself almost three months ago, where I found out a bit of upsetting news that almost brought me to tears.  I will not mention it again, referring my reader to the original entry.  To think about it, it was really very minor, but I was in a vulnerable place, and it upset me far more than it should have.  It worked itself out a day or two later, but I was still very distraught by it.  Once I realized that I would be at the same gate, the memory came rushing back to me, along with the some of the happier memories from the last trip here.  Anyway, Connor called me as I soon as I closed outside, and he told me that I had forgotten my credit card with him when he had gotten gas, but he was stuck behind an accident.  I told him he could mail it to me if he couldn’t make it in time, as I would not need the card again until I left for my next trip.  He made it in time, and I went to check-in, breezing through with now line at security.  I sat down in the same bench I sat down last time and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out the trip.  Next stop: Sweden, Estonia, and Finland.

No comments:

Post a Comment