Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Baltic - Day 4 - Homeward Bound

5/26/15, “Homeward Bound”
Helsinki Airport, Finland (HEL)

It is a little past 11 PM in New York, most of the people I know and love back on the East Coast are still awake or have just gone to sleep.  Me?  I am homeward bound.  All good things must come to an end, and, here in an airport smoking lounge at Helsinki Airport, my trip draws to its close.  I have been awake for close to two hours now, since past 4 AM local time.  I did not get to sleep until almost 1 AM.  If I did in fact get three full hours of sleep I would consider myself lucky, the 24-hour daylight still messing with my sleep schedule.  It was 9 PM in New York when I woke up, and I do not know when I will get to sleep again.  Perhaps not again until 9 PM New York time.  I wrote previously about how wonderfully simple traveling eastward is start the trip.  Now, it is time to pay the piper, to do the opposite, to deal with the miserable westward return journey.

I have written on my themes of love and beauty ad nauseam, and there is not much left to be said on the matter.  Okay, that’s a lie.  Ignoring the unprovable/incontrovertible metaphysical topics of god, freedom, and immortality, love and beauty are probably the two deepest topics in philosophy.  There is so much to be said about beauty and aesthetics, and even to describe only my own aesthetical tastes would extend far beyond the space I allocate to this Travelogue.  Both last year and this year, I have dedicated a great deal of space to that topic, and I believe my reader is beginning to understand my stance on these issues, but I will recap.

To me, beauty is simplicity.  Beauty is that which does not distract.  That model of beauty from my high school?  She is extremely simple, and I mean that in a good way.  I see her as the ideal and anything that deviates from that ideal as a distraction, as a lesser form of beauty.  That is why I know with absolute certainty that she will always be the most beautiful woman in the world to me, for the rest of my life.  If I think of the people in my life I find most physically attractive (I am recalling two friends in particular), they have that in common, the simplicity.

Beauty, to me, is a deductive process, not an additive one.  Nothing can add to someone’s physical attraction (other than like personality traits or intelligence, which I find a very attractive quality, even manifesting itself in my interpretation of physical beauty).  I don’t understand when people say that someone has an “exotic beauty.”  To me, that exoticism is a distraction.  I will give a specific example from a little over a year ago.  One of my philosophy friends was describing my now-current philosophy professor, saying she didn’t find her attractive, that she was “Too white” or “Too Katy Perry.”  Granted, I don’t find Katy Perry attractive, there is too much there that distracts.  2002-era Avril Lavigne, yes, of course.  There is nothing there that distracts, just pure cuteness.  Likewise, my philosophy professor, the piercings, the tattoos all over her arms, the odd haircut, there is too much that distracts.  That is her style.  That is what she herself finds attractive, and I would never advocate someone changing herself out of what she perceives others want.  Beauty is subservient to self.  You cannot be beautiful if you are pretending to be someone else, and, yes, this is an Avril Lavigne “Complicated” reference.

Again, to me, the most beautiful people are the ones were are simply and plainly beautiful without even trying.  That girl in high school?  I like to think that she woke up that way every morning.  For all the girls I fancied myself in love with in high school, I never once thought that I loved her.  Yes, this my transitioning to my final discourse on beauty.  I have ten minutes.  I just wrote that beauty is subservient to self.  Likewise love is subservient to self.  (Going to plagiarize Ayn Rand here.)  In order to say “I love you,” you must first learn to say “I.”  Love is a value, and, in order to have values, to love anyone or anything, you need to value yourself.

Every single person in the world I love, I love because they make me happy.  They make me happy because of the decades we have shared together, because of all the times we have hung out, because of fond memories, because of the times they have cured me of depression, because they can brighten the darkest of days with a single text, because they make me smile every time I see their name in my Facebook feed.  Different people in my life fall into different ones of those qualities I just mentioned, but, reader do you see where I’m going?

Love is a selfish thing.  I love these people because they make ME happy, not out of some misguided sense of duty or demand.  To love is to value, and I choose whom I love, just as I choose my values.  This is a very simplistic view of love, and it only addresses rational love.  I have mentioned previously how we also feel irrational love and how it would be irrational to dismiss irrational love.  There is so much more to be said on that topic, and I’m not even sure where to go with it, so I will leave it there.

After I closed last night, I packed and went to sleep, having trouble sleeping with daylight still coming into the room.  I woke up at 4 AM from a text and was unable to get back to sleep, I don’t think, my alarm going off at 4:30 AM.  I hurried to get ready and took the taxi to the airport.  The Duty-Free did not have any cigars, but I got a bottle of Finlandia vodka.  I then got some yoghurt, seltzer, and espresso for breakfast.  After breakfast, I went to the smoking lounge, where I lit up a Montecristo and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head to my gate, as my flight to Oslo is about to board.


Oslo Airport, Norway (OSL)

I don’t have much new to report, certainly no more insights into love or beauty.  It is that word above that starts with an N that is the reason for me writing now.  When I set out to see the world, I had already been to 7 countries (USA, Canada, Mexico, Norway, UK, France, and Greece).  My travels would take me back to all of those countries, except one: Norway.  I have detailed my remaining international travel for the next two years.  I visited USA (obviously), Canada, UK, and France in 2014, and I was in Mexico in March and am going back in September and more times, too.  Greece, I mentioned for Athens and Rhodes.

However, Norway?  No need.  I will eventually go to Norway again.  After all it has seven WHS waiting for me to visit, but there is no pressing need.  I did not expect an Official visit to be part of the trip, not until I booked it and the OSL connection turned out to make the most sense.  I actually considered going into Oslo, getting a quick breakfast, having a cigar, taking a picture at Parliament, and buying a flag pin.  I decided against it.  Instead, I got breakfast at the airport and bought more cigars, unable to smoke any of them without leaving the airport.

After I closed at HEL, I went to my gate, where I slept fitfully on the plane, if at all.  After I was done with my business at the aiport, I had to proceed through EU/Schengen exit procedures, since this flight would take me outside the Schengen Area.  It was the first time I had to show my passport since I arrived at ARN.  The gate for the EWR flight was closed off from the rest of the airport, and I sat on the floor between a cute Norwegian girl on the bench to my left and an outlet above me to the right.  It is a good spot.  I there proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as boarding is about to begin.  I guess I’ll sleep until like 9-10 AM New York time and then work for the rest of the flight.  That will leave me rested enough for the day and also allow me to get as much work done as my laptop’s battery will allow if there is outlet at my seat.


Aboard SAS 907, En route OSL-EWR

I suppose there is one topic left to discuss before I close out the trip, one more item of Northern culture to explore: food.  While I have recalled almost every meal I have eaten, I have not gone into detail about my interpretation of the cuisine.  Again, why should there be more similarities between Alaskan and Swedish cuisine than Swedish and French cuisine?  That one is simpler to answer.

Different animals and plants live above the 60th Parallel than below it, and that is often unaffected by longitude.  The vegetables that can be raised at arctic conditions, the animals that can survive there, and the berries that grow, all of them more similar than different around the North.  Something like game meat, root vegetables, and berry sauce would seem the ideal meal to me, with a berry cobbler for dessert.  It just so happens that that is the speciality of Northern cuisine.  Whether it was venison or reindeer, carrots or onions, lingonberries or blueberries, that was mostly what I ate.  Fish, too, also plays a role, and I prefer the fish that is found in the North to that that is found south of the 60th Parallel.

Oh, and the coffee and desserts, the experience of fika, is absolutely sublime.  Even the bad coffee there was good.  Excluding coffee that came from a dispenser instead of a pot, I did not have a bad cup of coffee.  There is a coffee shop in Manhattan called Fika.  It is terribly overpriced, but it is the best coffee in the city.  Yes, it’s a Swedish or Finnish place.  Reader, every single cup of brewed coffee that I had my entire trip was just as good as, if not better than, the coffee there.  Perhaps it was the fact that coffee was practically coursing through my veins that I had so much trouble sleeping?  I don’t think so.  I was fine sleeping in Sweden, and I drank plenty of coffee my first day.  Maybe it took a few days for the caffeine to become so permeated in my bloodstream?  Whatever it is, the Swedes and the Finns sure knew how to do coffee right.  Alright, that is all I have to say.

After I closed at OSL, I boarded the plane, and I was pleasantly surprised that the seat I had chosen, in an empty row of four, remained an empty row of four.  In other words, I had four pillows and four seats to myself.  I slept better than I did either night in Helsinki.  I got about four and a half hours of sleep before I realized that I needed to wake up, it being around 11 AM in New York.  I then asked to have my meal brought, it being my usual lunchtime in New York and me having slept through what I guess was lunch service.  They just brought a snack, but I have no appetite, so I’ll probably bring it back to the office with me or eat it on the bus.  I will need to work until at least 6:30 PM tonight, maybe later.  After I had my meal and wrote a couple of proposals, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get back to work.


New York, New York


My watch, which is still on Stockholm/Oslo time, says it’s past 1:30 AM.  Helsinki is even an hour after that.  It was 9 PM New York time when I got the text that woke me up.  I will probably be up for at least another three or four hours, not getting to sleep until past 11 PM New York time.  I have one last idea to share about love.  There are the people we love because of who they are, and there are people we love because of what they have done for us.  I argue that both types of love are equally valid, and there are people in my life in both categories.  The interesting question that becomes what it would take for me to stop loving them.

If I love someone for who they are, what would it take for me to stop loving them?  Three things.  One, I realize I was wrong about who they were.  Two, I change and become someone else.  Three, they change and become someone else.  This is the Objectivist view of love.  Now, the other view?  Someone does something that benefits me so greatly, that makes my life a little bit better, to the point that I might say, “For that, I will always love you,” could I ever unlove them?  Well, it would take them doing something so cruel, so mean, that it negates the good act that caused them to gain my love.

If you examine family ties, and I think my readers know me enough that I will never say I love a member of my family simply because they are my family.  “Tell grandma you love her” is common thing parents tell their children.  I think my parents know better than to try and tell me that.  Did grandma (being generic here) do anything, other than giving birth to my parent, that causes me to love her?  Is there anything about her that makes me love her?  These are rhetorical questions.  I am not answering them.  I just encourage my readers to dig a little deeper, to try to avoid causeless love, to say, “I love her because of everything she has done for me” or “I love her because of who she is” and to never say, “I can’t explain why I love her.”  That is my final word on this topic.

Anyway, after I closed we soon landed, and I breezed through border control with Global Entry, gladly bypassing the long line.  I took the bus back to the city, working en route.  I had a fairly productive afternoon at the office and then went to the cigar shop right before they closed.  I lit up an Hoyo from the box I bought in Oslo and walked home, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out the trip.  Next stop: Taylor Swift concert in Philadelphia, though if I don’t stay overnight it might not count as a trip.  Otherwise, it’s the big summer trip with my mother, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks to say “Mainland US Complete” and Canada to say “Canadian Prairie Complete.”

No comments:

Post a Comment