Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, November 7, 2015

MOVC - Day 1 - "Georgia on My Mind"

11/7/15, “Georgia on My Mind”

Atlanta, Georgia

Atlanta means a lot of things to a lot of different people, but to me, more than anything else, it means the Host of the Games of the XVI Olympiad in 1996.  That was when I started to become as obsessed with the Olympics as I am now.  If the Olympics are a religion to me, then I am now sitting in its cathedral.  It has been an interesting day so far, and I got in more touristy stuff than I had planned, but not as much as I had hoped.

After I woke up, I head down to breakfast, a southern buffet that left much to be desired, bacon wasn’t crispy enough, no biscuits and gravy, but the grits and eggs were good enough.  I was left fed.  I then headed down for the first talk.  It was about the spirit of Atlas Shrugged in Silicon Valley.  One quote really stuck with me: “Create more value than you capture.”  Think about Google.  They have created an immensely valuable product that they give away to everyone in the world.  It is impossible to measure the value that Google has provided to the world, but they only capture a tiny percentage of that value, and they are still one of the most successful companies in the world.  That is the spirit of Silicon Valley, and I find it very much accordance with the themes of Atlas Shrugged.

Dagny Taggart wanted to create the best railroad she could.  Her goal was not to capture every last dollar she could from selling rail services.  Howard Roark wanted to create the best buildings he could, not make as much money selling architectural services as possible.  Imagine if Hank Rearden was only driven by the desire to profit.  No, he was driven by the desire to achieve greatness.  That is why he is entitled to every penny that comes from the sale of Rearden metal, a metal that makes the world an immensely better place.  The luminaries in Silicon Valley are no different.

Other points that were raised during the morning talks were mainstays of Objectivism.  Only engage in win-win relationships, as all win-lose relationships eventually become lose-lose.  Self-interest means long-term self-interest, not short-term.  There was one other point about Silicon Valley: it is better to fail at trying something new than to succeed at copying someone else.  That is the mindset of Silicon Valley, and I believe my readers will agree it is found in Atlas Shrugged.

After the talks, I went out for a cigar, a Davidoff Special R, and I headed to Georgia Tech, which was a block or so away.  I wanted to go to the football stadium, of course.  I walked by the frat houses, and I soon found the stadium.  Well, as I got there, some rambling wrecks were walking out.  I guess they well were each a heck of an engineer.  I took my ceremonial picture at the stadium and headed back to the hotel, stopping at the bookstore along the way and picking up some heartburn medicine.

I then went to lunch, traditional southern fare of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, iced tea, and bread with butter.  After lunch, I went back up to the room, intending to have a five-minute rest.  That became a two-hour nap, which cost me the time I wanted to spend at the CNN Tower.  I got ready and headed to the MARTA station, taking it to Five Points, where I found the famous Atlanta Underground.


I walked around for about a minute before making my way to the State Capitol.  Interestingly Atlanta did not become the capital of Georgia until 1868, after the Civil War.  Savanna was the capital during the Revolutionary War, until it fell to the British.  I lit up a Churchill and took a few more pictures.





I then continued to the famous, historic courthouse, which now houses the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.  After I took my ceremonial pictures there, I continued walking towards my ultimate destination.  The thing about Atlanta is that it has decent neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods, and it is hard to tell which is which.  I saw people handing off stolen or fake goods, and many people asked me for spare change, not homeless people.

When I saw the Rings at the entrance to the Centennial Olympic Park.  I knew I was home.  I had not been here in three years, but I remembered it.  Then I saw the flags.  They went clockwise.  The five-ring flag, then the US flag, then Spain, then South Korea, etc.  I knew what they represented.  “1996 Atlanta, 1992 Barcelona, 1988 Seoul,…”  I could not contain the tears as I effortlessly rattled off each Summer Games, fully crying from joy by the time I got to “1904 St. Louis, 1900 Paris, 1896 Athens.”  I was home.  I took a few ceremonial pictures, ditched the cigar, and took a few more pictures.  I then sat down on the raised seating, where I lit up my Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head back to the hotel for the cocktail party.



Well, it certainly has been a very interesting and adventurous seven hours since I closed at Centennial Olympic Park.  I should have been back at the hotel by 6:30 PM.  If I walked I could have gotten there around 6:40 PM.  I decided to take MARTA.  Well, MARTA sucks.  It’s great for getting to and from the airport, but, for shorter distances, it’s only marginally better than walking, if at all.  It should have been 10 minutes for the next train.  The countdown marker said 17 minutes.  I think it ws 25 minutes in the end.  Reader (well, New York readers), imagine having to wait 25 minutes for a subway train on a Saturday at 6 PM.  It’s probably more like 5 minutes.  When I finally got to my destination, at 6:50 PM, I got off on the wrong end and started walking the opposite direction of the hotel.

I sorted it all out, but it was after 7 PM when I got to the hotel, when I thought the cocktail reception to be over.  I then learned two things.  The reception ran until 7:30 PM, but it was only for speakers, not for the whole conference.  I should have just stayed downtown and got dinner there.  Instead, I went up to the room and looked up the best choices for southern food by the hotel, while I charged up my phone.  I found one, and it was pretty famous, Mary Mac’s Tea Room.  It was a 20-minute walk from the hotel, but I just had no energy, so I took a cab.

When I got there, I was pleasantly surprised.  Needless to say, I ate too much.  That’s the thing about soul food.  The portions are big, and the food is filling.  This was my big night out, so I was determined to do it right.  I ordered a mint julep to drink, and they brought out the bread: regular bread, corn muffins, and a cinnamon roll.  Then came the pot likker.  After that, my main course, and I was full before they brought it out, fried chicken with fried okra and mac and cheese.  I also got a glass of buttermilk to go with it.  For dessert, I had Georgia peach cobbler with cinnamon ice cream and coffee.  Reader, could you imagine a more traditional Georgian meal?  I certainly can’t.

I was too pooped to pop at this point, but I still had the party to go to.  I really just wanted to skip it.  I wanted to go back to the hotel, have a cigar, relax, and then watch Donald Trump on SNL at 11:30 PM.  It was a little after 9 PM at this point.  I figured I’d get to the party at 9:30 PM, have my two drinks, and then leave at 11 PM.  If I could find a chance to have a cigar at some point, great.  Well, that was exactly what I did.  I got to the party, and everyone else had already arrived.  I went to check in, but they said they didn’t have any drink tickets.  Um, how did they run out of drink tickets?

My ticket price explicitly said it came with two drinks.  I didn’t even want the drinks.  It was just the principle of the thing.  They said I could just leave my credit card at the bar, order my drink(s), get the tickets later, and the bar would void the charge for the drinks.  Fine, whatever.  I saw they had Knob Creek bourbon.  No, that wasn’t included.  Evan Williams was.  Fine, whatever.  I asked for a double for my two drinks.  I then went outside where I found a group of smokers, including two people smoking cigars.  Perfect, that would be my spot.  The thing about me and parties is, I hate being there if I don’t know anyone, but, if I have a group I can latch onto, I’m fine.  I call it my “anchor.”  If I have an anchor, I don’t feel uncomfortable.  One of the cigar smokers instantly recognized my cigar as a Liga Privada No. 9.  I didn’t even know that was what I was smoking.  We started talking as I drank (sipped) without enjoying my bourbon.

Then a girl came to join us.  She was exactly my type: smart, beautiful, tall, philosophical.  We connected and started talking.  Talking to her I felt something I felt for, I believe, only the second time since June.  No, I’m not talking about a physical feeling.  I’m talking about forming an emotional bond with someone, the feeling of being in a conversation with someone and never wanting it to end, not because you are enjoying the conversation you are having with her, but because you are enjoying so much conversing with her.  How could a pretty face ever supplant that?  One small problem: she lives in Santa Fe, so it is doubtful I will ever see her again after tomorrow.  We both wanted to leave the party early so that we could get back to the hotel for SNL, and we decided to share a cab back to the hotel.

Alright, I am very tired, so I’m half tempted to write, “Yada, yada, yada, and I proceeded to write this entry,” but that would be too much editing.  I need to properly close out this entry.  I went back to finish my cigar, but I knew that I still needed to resolve the issue with the credit card and the drink tickets, but the organizer from the event was nowhere to be found.  The bartender told me they didn’t buy enough drink tickets, so I was SOL.  Not bloody likely.  I told them that I paid for the ticket, so I’m not going to pay again for the drinks.  I flat-out told them I wouldn’t sign the slip, and they said they had to run the card anyway.  I said I’d dispute the charge on my credit card.  The bartender told me that I would need to take it up with the event organizer.  Again, the money was nominal.  It was the principle of the thing, and my new friend was waiting for me.  I told them to just give my card back, and I’d sort it out later.

I finished my drink, and we headed up to the street.  She was struggling to walk in her high heels and shivering in her short sleeves.  Reader, I think you know me well enough to know that I am always a perfect gentlemen.  Well, at least with girls outside my family and the office.  If I had a jacket, I would have offered it to her.  I did not.  I was just wearing my shirt and suit pants.  We got to the street, and I tried to recall the proper protocol.  I knew I was supposed to open the door for her, but it seemed like she would not want to slide to the opposite side.  Oh, right, I was supposed to open the door on the curbside, let her into that seat, and then I would walk around and enter the car from the opposite side.  That was the proper protocol, and she appreciated the gesture.

We talked about the conference on our way back to the hotel, arriving with 7 minutes to spare.  We talked about the idea of “stop sign morality” raised this morning, that morality is too often about what we shouldn’t do, rather than what we should do.  We also talked about what I raised in my entry last night, how Kant’s view of morality stands in direct contrast to the Objectivist view of the morality of value creation.  SNL did not disappoint, and Donald was willing to make fun of himself in good taste.  There were also some non-political sketches that were hilarious.  After SNL, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get to sleep.  I guess I will not be making it to the Waffle House tonight, instead saving it for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment