Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

The Wonder of It All - Day 3 - The Return Journey

11/29/15, “The Return Journey” Cairo International Airport, Egypt


After far too short of a time in Egypt, it is time to go home, and I have to say that I am relieved.  I would have enjoyed some time in Cairo, but it will be good to get back home.  I did what I set out to do.  I saw the site of the great Lighthouse of Alexandria, and I saw the Pyramids of Giza.  There is only one verifiable Wonder of the Ancient World left: the Colossus of Rhodes.  I will go to Rhodes in 6 months.  The Hanging Gardens, if they ever even existed, are now theorized to have been in what is now Kurdish Iraq, outside of Mosul, not Ancient Babylon.  Herodotus didn’t even mention them, I don’t think.  I will not be going to Mosul anytime soon, so I assume I will complete my mission in Rhodes.

I will have to be brief, focusing on the triumphant airport entry, and it has been my tradition to treat the return journey in its entirety, so I will focus instead on some reflections, saving the rest for en route.  Egypt is a wondrous place to visit.  Take away the Pyramids and the site of the Lighthouse, and it is not much different from the rest of the Arab World or even the entire broader region of the Middle East and the Mediterranean.  Each country in the region has its own flair, and I’d be hard pressed to describe specifically what makes Egypt unique.

I’d go with the color scheme, perhaps.  White is missing.  Almost everything is shades of tan and brown, no blue or red, either.  Perhaps this is a legacy of the dessert and the sandstone that was used to build the Pyramids.  Egypt forms an important part of my cultural identity.  In fact, every spring, we sing songs about our escape from Egypt, and we drink wine to celebrate how we escaped.  Our ancestors built the Pyramids, allegedly, but we escaped.  I wasn’t even thinking about this until last night and again now, so caught up the grandeur of the construction.  It is no wonder that it is a Wonder.

I really want to go to Damascus, and I get the sense that I would see things there even more wonderful than anything I saw here outside of the Pyramids, but, unfortunately, that is not an option now.  Maybe in 5 or 10 years, but not now.  I want to go to Baghdad when it is safe and live out Aladdin: The Experience.  That is not safe, either.  Egypt is safe, for now.  I am glad to have gone, and I would like to return to see the remaining WHS once I can be sure those parts of the country are safe.  They are not now.  The regions by the borders with Sudan and Libya are not safe.  Sinai is not even close to safe.  It will be day one day.  Every place that is now dangerous will be safe at some point in my lifetime, and some of the safest places in the world will be dangerous.  That’s the way the world works.  Baghdad was a very safe place when my father was my age, but Vietnam was not (if I’m getting my timeline right).  Now, it’s the opposite.

I need to board soon, and I’m starving, so I will briefly wrap up by saying that sometimes the places you think are most safe, such as Paris, can be just as dangerous as the places you think are dangerous, such as Egypt.  Paris is familiar, but Egypt is unknown.  People fear the unknown.  Reader, never let the fear of the unknown stop you from doing something you want to do.  Ever.


Aboard MS 985, En route CAI-JFK

What is left to say?  I suppose I could consider this my first true, unguided experience into the Arab world.  I have spent enough time in the Arab world and the rest of the Muslim world to get a sense of the culture, but this is the first time I have been fully immersed.  When I went to Jordan, I had a taxi pick me up at the border, and I was guided straight from there to the camp, and I was picked up in the morning by another guide, who stayed with me the whole day.  I just went to three WHS and stopped for lunch.  There was no experience of the culture.

Later that year I went to Dubai.  I flew into Dubai, and a taxi took me to Abu Dhabi.  The next morning a driver, not a guide, took me to a few WHS and other sites I wanted to see.  I ended up at my hotel in Muscat, the capital of Oman.  The next morning, I flew from Muscat to Dubai, but I was driven around for most of the day, other than the time I spent in the mall and at the top of Burj Khalifa.  I was so heatstricken that I literally collapsed at the top of Burj Khalifa.  I then went skiing.  I flew home after that.  That trip I was more immersed into the culture, but I was still sheltered.  I saw the big cities, but I couldn’t really get a feel for their style of life.

A couple of months later I went to Iran, which is a Muslim country, even though it is not Arab.  I was required to have a guide with me the whole time, but I got a better feel of the culture that time.  We drove between the big cities, and I got see the small villages in between.  We spent time in plazas and the kind of WHS that were frequented by locals.  We took public transportation and walked the streets.  That was new to me.  It gave me a sense of their culture, but, again, I had a guide, and it was not the Arab world.

January 1st I found myself in Turkey.  No guide this time, just a rental car.  Turkey is a far more secular country than many others in the Middle East, and the culture is very different accordingly.  Yes, I got a great feel of the Turkish culture and way of life, but that is not Arab, either.  A year ago this weekend, I went to India, which has a significant Muslim population, and the culture and way and life is very similar to the Middle East.  Again, I had a guide the whole time, but I was definitely able to witness what life is like in India, even if I wasn’t full immersed.  Just being there was enough.

Now, this was different.  As I mentioned, it was my first time on my own in the Arab world.  No guides, just a few taxi drivers.  I walked around Alexandria on my own.  I spent almost two hours at a hookah lounge.  Perhaps most telling was the train ride from Alexandria to Cairo.  I walked around the Pyramids on my own, dealt with the hagglers on my own.  The camel ride through the village was also very telling.  This was a true experience with Arab culture, one I had not previously experienced.  What shocked me the most is that hagglers seemed to have learned the same techniques.  I was smart enough not to fall for them, recognizing the tricks they were using, especially after hearing them more than once.

In Zambia, they used the same tricks too, different tricks than in Egypt, but each vendor used the same tricks, and, like an idiot, I kept falling for them.  Here I was wiser.  What bothered me most was when they would try to trick me on the exchange rate.  That was insulting.  We would agree to one price in Pounds, and then they’d ask to be paid in Dollars.  However, the dollar amount they wanted was usually four or five times the proper conversion rate.  When I pointed it out to them, they said I could pay in Pounds, now asking for double the original price.  I stood firm each time, but I screwed myself over by not having the exact change and having to round up sometimes.

Along those lines, that’s another trick they’d pull.  We’d agree to one price, and I’d pull out my banknotes, and there would be a banknote of a larger denomination on top.  “That’s okay, you can just give that to me” or some variation would be their reply.  Of course they’d be okay with the larger banknote, but I intended to pay the agreed upon price.  Another trick was to tell me I was the first sale of the day.  That elicited no sympathy from me.  A price was a price.  I understand the need of people to make a living by whatever means possible, but I cannot tolerate them doing so fraudulently.  It’s just them telling a lie here and there, it’s them running an entire business model through fraud.

The taxi drivers were just as bad as the vendors, though the local taxi drivers were all right.  I didn’t even have to negotiate up front.  A typical taxi ride cost the same as the starting price on the meter of an NYC taxi.  I guess the locals aren’t used to ripping off tourists.  I would have loved to see Cairo, but, I got the sense it’s just not what it used to be.  In fact, they are going to be building a new capital, anyway.  On that note, I will close and treat the Return Journey in its entirety on my way back from the airport.   I’m really looking forward to some Chinese food for dinner tonight.


En route, Mohammed’s Jeep, New York


I’m not sure if that is the proper caption, but it’ll have to do.  Yes, I have an Egyptian driver.  What are the odds?  Anyway, it’s good to be home, and now I can properly treat the Return Journey.  Due to a combination of various factors, it was 6:50 AM by the time I was in my Uber to the airport.  That meant I would have to go straight to the airport.  Google Maps said it would be about an hour to the airport, no time to stop in Cairo.  At some point I lit up a Partagas.  Google Maps severely fucked up.  We got there with it still saying there was 30 minutes left.  I could have stopped at Cairo, easily.  I waited outside to finish my cigar.  That fucked things up further, it being 8:20 AM when I went inside, my flight being at 10:20 AM, and it being questionable if I’d have time for a cigar before I boarded.

There was quite a process going through airport security, check-in, and emigration procedures.  There was no traditional security checkpoint, though, just a general scan of my bags before I entered the airport.  That was weird.  I bought some cigars at duty-free, using up the last of my Egyptian Pounds.  I then headed to the smoking lounge, but time was tight, so I only lit up my smallest cigar, an H. Upmann.  I could have stayed longer, wrote more in my entry, since there was quite a line for the proper security screening before the gate.  We went straight from the security point to the plane.  I was starving, but I was told I’d be fed as soon as we took off.  That was good.

I got all situated on the plane and fell asleep, waking up when food was served.  It was the same dry English-style breakfast I had had just 48 hours prior.  I fell asleep and got a good nap, waking up in time for lunch.  I don’t know if I slept a little more after lunch or not.  Afterwards, I worked on my philosophy assignment, loving how my new computer folds back with the touch screen to make highlighting the key points in the book easier.  After I was done with that, I wrote the rest of my reflections.  I then watched the movie Big Eyes, which was kind of good, but it cut off as we made our descent, and I missed the end, which really bugged me.

We soon landed, and I got caught up on my social media notifications.  It was annoying since, rather than all coming in at once, each app’s notifications loaded at a different time.  I cleared border control with no hassle, and I saw that the taxi line was atrocious.  The express bus would not there for 20 minutes.  I started to open up Uber.  A driver offered me a ride.  His price was a third more than a taxi.  I turned him down.  Another driver, Mohammed, offered me a ride at the same price as a taxi.  I accepted.  I had the feeling he’d let me smoke in the taxi.  I was right.

We were soon underway.  I called my parents to let them know I was okay.  After I hung up with them, Mohammed said that he was from Egypt.  We talked a little, and then I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: well, that’s a little confusing.  China and Korea, if I can get approval to take a few days off unpaid at the end of the year.  If not, I might switch up the trip a little and push it back a few days doing Korea first or just do two weekend trips for each of the holiday weekends at year-end.  Either way, I will not write again until after Christmas, so I’d like to wish all of my readers a Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment