Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Day 1 - Athens 2004

5/28/16, “Athens 2004”
Athens, Greece

I’m home.  No, I’m not at my apartment in Manhattan.  I’m not at my parents’ house in Scarsdale.  I’m home.  I did it.  I found my way into the Athens 2004 Olympic Stadium.  The main purpose of this trip.  “There’s always a way in,” I kept telling myself, and there was one.  I’m home.  Of all the 26 Olympic Stadiums, this one, perhaps, means the most.  I saw it being built in 2004.  I practiced all the events in Scarsdale.  I watched every event I could.  The Olympics had come home, and, now, so have I.  I’m home.  There’s no other word to describe it.

How long I will be able to stay before I get kicked out, I have no idea, but, for now, I’m home.  This was the main purpose of the trip.  I am staying at a hotel less than a mile away.  I was prepared to do almost anything necessary to get inside this Stadium, and I had planned it to be an all-day event.  It took me thirty minutes from the time I left the hotel to get inside.  Now, I’m home.  No Olympics meant more to me than the 2004 Games.  The security guard who let me in to take a photo for “just one minute” has no idea how much this means to me.  No one, not even my readers can fully comprehend just how much this means to me.  There is only one person in the world who does: my mother.  It is 7 AM on the East Coast of the United States, 4 AM on the Pacific Coast, so there is no one I can call to share my joy.  Instead, I will write this entry for as long as I’m allowed.  Actually, I think I have to leave now, so I’ll finish outside.


I am calling this trip “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in honor of the ballet we saw on Wednesday, based on the Shakespearean play set in Athens.  However, “A Comedy of Errors” would be a more fitting title for today.  Before I address the comedy of errors that was my check-in at the hotel and the journey from EWR to ATH, I will tease out a little more of the adventure that was got me inside the Stadium.  A year ago this very day, I snuck into the Stockholm 1912 Stadium, where King Gustav so famously called Jim Thorpe the greatest athlete in the world.  I will excerpt a passage from that entry: “It was not the first Olympic Stadium I’ve snuck into, and it might not be the last, either (Melbourne, Athens, I’m talking about you).”

The Melbource Cricket Ground is actually open to the public, but the Athens stadium not so much, and the Rome 1960 Stadium not so much either.  When I took my ceremonial picture inside the Stadium, I announced, “Rome, I’m looking at you.”  There’s always a way in.  This was the most challenging, since, as far as I knew, it was completely out of use.  I was not willing to risk being arrested to sneak in, but anything short of that was fair game.  It turns out that they are in the process of repurposing it to serve as a football stadium, which meant that there was some staff on-site, much like how I entered the Seoul 1988 Stadium.

As I wandered the perimeter, much as I did in Seoul, I considered my options.  The outer fence was easy enough to climb, but the adjoining park had people walking around.  Even if I managed to climb the outer fence, the inner fence looked impenetrable.  I continued walking, looking for a way in, any way in.  That is where I will leave the adventure and return to it in its proper chronological order after I light up another cigar, the very cigar I had brought for this celebratory occasion.

Okay, so what happened after I closed at Newark and published my entry?  My co-worker was also flying out of Newark out around the same time, so I tried to find him at his gate.  No luck.  I got back to my gate at the time they were supposed to start boarding, only to hear a final boarding announcement.  Huhhh???  Well, I got on the plane and got situated.  The in-flight movie selection was pretty great, and I opted for “The Lady in the Van”, for which Maggie Smith was nominated for a Golden Globe.  The movie was kind of boring and we were still on the ground an hour past our scheduled take-off time.  I was almost done with the movie by the time we were in the air.  I was also regretting not finishing my lunch, as I was absolutely starving.

For round two, I opted for the 1980s classic, “The Breakfast Club”.   They served dinner during that movie, some kind of teriyaki chicken.  The movie was amazing, and, after I was done, I messaged my friend, debating if John Hughes needed to be considered the GOAT (Greatest of All Time).  We agreed that he was the GOAT for teen/kids/family comedies, and the greatest comedic director of the past 70 years.  That’s high praise.  I then went to sleep, waking up when they served breakfast, which was a croissant with jam.  I was starving, but it was pure carbs, so I took a pass.

We soon landed.  As always, Schengen border control was lax for me with my American passport.  They just swiped it and stamped it, no questions.  There wasn’t even an agent at customs.  I took a taxi to the hotel, and I could see the structure from the Olympic Stadium from the lobby.  They even had the Olympic Rings on the wall.  I was home.  I just needed to change and head to the Stadium.


My room wasn’t ready yet.  It was 11:50 AM, but they said it would be ready in 40 minutes.  That was when the comedy of errors began.  I was starving, so I figured some coffee and food would kill the 40 minutes.  I got two cups of Greek coffee and a cold cuts platter.  That did the trick.  It was 12:30 PM when I was done, the 40 minutes had passed.  Of course, my room was not ready, and they apologized profusely.  They said 15 more minutes.  Well, 15 minutes later, it was not ready.  Now, I was angry.  If they had told me an hour from the beginning, I might have just changed in the bathroom and headed out.

I asked, very firmly, honestly, how much longer it would be.  15 more minutes.  I waited until they called me.  It was about 10 minutes.  They pulled out my file.  It was the wrong name.  Embarrassed and confused, they realized their mistake.  Perhaps my actual room had been ready on time, and it was this other room that was not ready?  Then there was paperwork to fill out.  Seriously?!?  I had told them that I was in a hurry, why could I not have filled out this paperwork while we were waiting for the room!?!  I went up to the room they assigned me, only to find someone else’s suitcase was there.

I called downstairs, and they upgraded me to another room, which had a better view of the Olympic Stadium.  Okay, that was good, one problem, though.  This was not a smoking room.  She told me to just open the windows, and she’d bring me an ashtray.  Okay then.  I changed and got ready to head out, for whatever adventure this entailed.  I lit up a Padron Damaso, and it was a bit of a maze to find the Stadium, but I was there in about 15 minutes.

There was a park, if I could call it that, outside the Stadium, where people walk and bike, which limited my options.  The “park” was all rundown and there was precious little grass, most of it dead.  I expected this.  I had done my homework.  I did not, however, know how I would be able to get inside, but, “There’s always a way in,” I reassured myself.  I left off earlier, describing how I was contemplating every fence, looking for an unlocked gate.

I kept walking, and, halfway around, I saw some maintenance equipment, and there was a garage gate that was ajar next to a fenced door.  That looked promising.  It was all locked.  I then heard someone yelling at me, a maintenance worker in a golf cart.  He looked like the kind of person I could bribe to let me in, if he spoke English.  He did not.  He gestured for me to leave.  I kept walking, not away from the Stadium, but alongside it.  I then found an open door that led straight to the inside of the Stadium.  I left my cigar outside and walked in.

I was approached by someone from facilities.  He spoke English.  I didn’t even have to offer a bribe.  I just asked if I could take a picture “just for one minute”.  I told him I had come all the way from New York for this.  He let me in.  I walked in.  I was home.  I took my ceremonial pictures and got ready to leave.



Wait, why did I have to leave?  Until and unless he chased me out, I was home.  I sat in the stands and proceeded to write my entry.  Eventually, the guy from the golf cart came and chased me out.  He talked to the guy who let me in, who said something about me wanting to take a picture.  I was clearly no longer just taking a picture.  I retrieved my cigar just kept walking, until I got to the other side of the Stadium, the public park area.

I uploaded my photos and sat down on some kind of planter/bench hybrid, where I proceeded to write this entry, lighting up an El Rey del Mundo cigar, truly feeling like the king of the world.  I will now head back to the hotel so that I can take a nap before my evening activities, whatever they may be.  Maybe I’ll find a cigar shop on the way back to the hotel.  On that note, I’ll close so that I can get out of here.



There are far too many similarities between today’s entry and the one I wrote from Stockholm a year ago today.  After I closed from the 1912 Stadium in Stockholm, I went out to dinner for some local cuisine and then went back to my hotel.  That was what I did today, in Athens.  In Stockholm, I had some sightseeing to do, but, here in Athens, I used that time to take a nap instead.  I headed back to my hotel with remainder of my cigar, taking my nap as almost as soon as I finished the cigar.

After my nap, I worked on picking out a restaurant, opting for a nice Greek restaurant about a mile away.  I went to the front desk and asked that they inquire about the dress code and if there was a smoking section available.  The questions turned out to be moot, as the restaurant was fully booked for a wedding party.  After some back and forth, he recommended a nice restaurant called Arismari, so I got my water bottle, lit up a Cabaiguan and walked to the restaurant, noting how rundown the whole city was.

I was about halfway done with my cigar when I got there and I had another cigar in my pocket.  I looked at Arismari, and there was not a single diner in the restaurant.  Directly across the street was a taverna called Iordanis, which was positively lit.  I looked it up, and it turned out it was the oldest tavern in Chalandri, dating back to 1928.  It had great reviews.  I went there instead.  I had been planning an epic evening for myself, trying to recreate the evening from 2004 in Greece, the first time I ever got drunk.

The evening was certainly epic, but it didn’t play out the way I expected.  The taverna was such a charming place, that I didn’t want to leave.  I just wanted to spend the whole night there, soaking it all in, and that’s exactly what happened.  I ordered three dishes, which came out as three courses: baked cheese, fried calamari, and house sausage.  Each course was better than the last.  To drink, I ordered a Coca Cola Light and an ouzo that was priced at less than I would pay for one drink at my favorite Greek restaurant by my office, the place I commonly frequent with my grandfather.

It turned out that it wasn’t one shot of ouzo, instead it was a 200 mL bottle, the equivalent of four shots.  Yes, the fact that I had to drink four shots of ouzo contributed to why I wound up spending three hours at that taverna, but I was happy the way it turned out.  I finished my cigar with my third course, and I lit up a VSG as I nursed the rest of my ouzo.  At no point did they come to clear away my plates, which irked me very much.  Reader, if you have done the calculation, you will realize that they left the dirty plates on the table for over an hour as I smoked my VSG and drank my ouzo.

After I finished my cigar, I asked for three things: a Greek coffee, the check, and a taxi to my hotel.  If I had had a third cigar on me, I might have walked back, but I did not.  When the coffee came, I poured the rest of my ouzo into the cup, which was an interesting combination.  He brought the check and gave me a 20% discount for being so slow to clear the plates and ask if I wanted coffee.  That was very generous.

I took the taxi back to the hotel and moved the seat in view of the Olympic Stadium from the window, I lit up an Ardor, and sat down, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep.  I have to be up early tomorrow morning to catch my flight to Rhodes.  Today was a booming success, and tomorrow, I get to check another one of my 17 Goals off from my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment