Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Day 4 - The Return Journey

5/31/16, “The Return Journey”

Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos”, Greece (ATH)

My time in Greece has come to an end, and it’s been a great trip.  Not just a great trip, but, like, a really, really great trip.  The trip we took in 2004 consistently ranks in my top five or top ten trips of all, and this one will be high on the list, too.  It was just one of those trips where everything went right, and I enjoyed practically every minute of it.

Whether it was visiting the two Olympic Stadiums and the site of the Colossus of Rhodes, the main purposes of this trip, sipping on my ouzo with my cigar after dinner, or just relaxing in the hotel, I loved every part of the trip.  Now, it is time to go home.  Tomorrow I will be back at the office, and, Saturday morning, I will be going to Philadelphia, and, the following weekend, I will be departing for London.  The Summer of Travel is well underway, and it’s going to be epic.

Greece is much like the Caribbean islands, and, as I noted the first time I travelled to the Caribbean (excluding Puerto Rico), the distinction between outdoors and indoors is blurred.  In hot-weather countries, this distinction is almost always blurred.  The Middle East is littered with outdoor cafes, as are Africa and the North American tropics.  The Mediterranean is no different.  These outdoor cafes contribute to the smoking culture that is often so evident.

Contrast this to a country such as Canada or England, which is almost entirely an indoors city.  Canada even has networks of weather-protected indoor passageways in some major cities.  It is the exact opposite of what it is here.  An interesting aspect of that is that taxis are considered an extension of this indoor/outdoor dichotomy.  In outdoor countries, the taxi (or the car in general) is considered an outdoor space.  For indoor countries, the taxi is considered an indoor space.  That means, in a hot-weather country, there is usually no question about being able to smoke in a taxi.  That is usually not true in a cold-weather country.

If I wanted to discuss economics, there is a lot to go there, too.  Unless they have oil reserves, hot countries are poor, and cold countries are wealthy.  Britain, Norway, Sweden, Canada, the United States are among the wealthiest large countries in the world.  Most countries in hot climates are very poor, which is ironic, since so many natural resources are so prominent in this zone.  What natural resources does Sweden have?  Certainly very little compared to Cuba or Greece.  I would have to assume that hot weather leads to decreased productivity.

I do not do well in the heat myself, and I try to avoid hot weather climates in the summer, preferring, instead, my travels to take me north, as I explained in my Day 0 entry.  The rest of the summer will continue to take me north, other than Brazil, which is actually its winter, until I return to this region to visit Rome for my birthday.

However, when we look at the past, all the great civilizations from Mesopotamia to Egypt to Babylon to Persia to Greece to Rome were this region (even the early Asian cultures are in an extremely fertile region), and I suppose that had to do with early man having better survival ability in warm climate, where food was constantly available, than in colder climates where they would need to learn to store food.  As we evolved and learned new techniques, we moved away from this region.  We spread throughout Asia, to northern Europe, to the Americas, to Australia.

It is ironic, then, that the most developed countries are the ones where man least recently settled.  Why is that?  It is not enough to use the hot cold distinction, since the politics of Eastern Europe surely contributed more to its economic woes than did its proximity to Mesopotamia, likewise for many African nations and parts of the Caribbean (and Latin America).  Would it be a valid theory to say that hot climates lead to political unrest?  Perhaps.  I cannot fully answer these questions, but I will continue to reflect I continue my return journey.

After I closed last night, I was soon asleep, and I woke up almost as late as possible, having no desire for breakfast.  I lit up a Romeo y Julieta and started packing.  I then headed down to get a taxi, finishing the cigar en route to the airport.  Check-in, emigration, and security were all a breeze, and I went straight to the duty-free shop.  I found the cigars, and I was shocked how cheap they were (even after converting from Euros to dollars).  A sales clerk walked in and started speaking.  It was all Greek to me.  Literally.  She then tried English, apologizing, saying that I looked Greek.  I try, so I took that as a compliment.  I picked out some cigars, sticking to my budget and getting far more value for it than I expected.  I also got a bottle of ouzo and a bottle of wine within that budget.  I then went to the smoking lounge, where I sat down, lit up a Partagas from my new box, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can finish my cigar and maybe get a quick snack and/or coffee before we board.


Aboard UA 125, En route ATH-EWR

We will soon be landing, and, when we do, after I pass through border control, I will take a bus back to Grand Central, signifying the end of this trip.  With three overnight stays, this has been my longest trip in over four months, when I met Roberto in Cancun so that we could explore the Yucatan together.  On Friday, he will be visiting me, and I will be hosting him for a week, until I leave for London.  As I have said numerous times so far this trip, the Summer of Travel is well underway.

I could write a little more about Greek culture, but, for me, the true draw of Greece was always the ancient culture, which, by extension, includes the two Olympic Stadiums of the modern era.  I just realized that, if protocol didn’t dictate strict naming conventions for these four days (two Olympic Stadiums, completing another of my 17 Goals, and the return journey), I could have had some fun naming each day after a song from Hercules.  I loved that movie, just as I always loved all representation of Ancient Greece, just as I love Greek philosophy and history in general.  Yeah, I guess I don’t really have anything more to add that I didn’t write at the airport.

After I closed, I picked up a coffee and a sparkling water.  We soon boarded, and I had the whole three-seater to myself, but the other aisle was soon taken by someone else who switched seats.  It meant I couldn’t lay down, but I still had plenty of room.  For my in-flight entertainment, I opted for the J. J. Abrams movie, Cloverfield.  It was okay, but I liked the more polished “10 Cloverfield Lane”, the “spiritual sequel,” much better.

The credits were rolling when they brought lunch, chicken with mushrooms and spinach, which was surprisingly good, or maybe I was just really hungry.  I then took a nap, waking up past noon New York time.  I then connected to the Wi-Fi and got caught on the news, social media, and my work emails.  After that, they brought turkey and cheese sandwiches, which were, also, surprisingly good.  I then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we will soon be landing.


En route, Newark Airport Express 70920


And so it ends.  Within an hour, I will be back at the cigar shop, regaling my friends with tales of my adventure.  A few hours after that, I will be asleep, and, then, tomorrow morning, back to work.  It seems this adventure has come to an end almost as soon as it began, but the next adventure awaits.  After I closed on the airplane, I got myself situated for landing, and I was soon at the Global Entry kiosk, which, actually, had a bit of a line.  I’m pretty sure the last time I had to clear border control at Newark was a year ago when I went to the Stockholm and Helsinki.  I enjoyed the symmetry of that.  Once I used the kiosk, I headed past baggage claim and to Customs, where I showed my print-out and was waved right through.  That was that.  I got my ticket for the express bus back to Manhattan, and I waited for it outside.  It soon came, and I was on my way.  I sat in the back, where, once we on the highway, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: Philadelphia with Roberto.

No comments:

Post a Comment