Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Roberto in Philly - Day 1 - Independence


“Roberto in Philly”



6/5/16, “Independence”
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania


When I met up with Roberto in Mexico this January, and he guided me through the Yucatan, I told him I’d be glad to return the favor any time he wanted to come to the East Coast of the United States.  New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, wherever he wanted to go, I’d be his guide.  For him, Philadelphia was the biggest draw, but only for one reason: Independence Hall.  See, Roberto is as big of a World Heritage Site hunter as I am, and Independence Hall is, of course, a World Heritage Site.  We have the Statue of Liberty in New York, and Boston and Washington are lacking any such sites.  He had been to New York once before and had already seen the Statue of Liberty, but he wanted to return to New York.

I told him that we could spend a weekend in Philadelphia, and I would host him in New York during the week.  The timing that worked best for both of us was this, his epic adventure to the East Coast sandwiched right between my epic adventures to Greece and Britain.  He arrived in New York less than 24 hours after I had fully adjusted back to New York time from Athens time, and he will still be in New York when I depart for London.  My trip to Britain will be another adventure, as have all of my trips to Britain, but, for now, it is about Roberto’s adventure that I wish to write.

As does any trip, it properly starts with Day 0.  I wanted to show him a proper welcome to New York, and I did.  A few of my friends met us at a rooftop bar, where we had our first two rounds, along with some cigars.  Two of the friends were a couple, but, other than them, no one else in the group (besides me) knew each other, so it was great to see everyone bond so well.  We then headed to St. Mark’s Place to keep the party going, and we wound up at a rum bar on Avenue A.  That was pretty epic as well.

We said our goodbyes and raced back to Grand Central, where another friend was awaiting us on the train, as we were all going to Philly in the morning and had to depart from Westchester.  We had to stop at my apartment as well to get some stuff.  It was a close call, and I forgot a few things, but we made the train by one minute.  I finished my Flor del Antilles when I got home, watching Scooby Doo, of all things, on my VR, my new toy.

We overslept in the morning and took way too long getting out of the house, but it was fine.  We had no schedule today, and Philadelphia was not far.  We talked with my parents and drank coffee before my mom took us to the car rental place, stopping for breakfast on the way.  We got to the car rental place, and they gave us an SUV.  Before we got on the road, I realized that I had forgotten my cigars and my phone charger, so it was back to my parents’ house.

It was about 11 AM by the time we finally got on the road, and I lit up my traditional Davidoff Escurio Toro, as I blared Red with all the windows open.  We continued to Philly as I cycled through my library of Disney soundtracks.  We were soon at Pat’s King of Steaks.  Declaring it a cheat day, I allowed myself a full sandwich, promising myself to be good on carbs at dinner (spoiler alert: I wasn’t).  After our sandwiches, I lit up an OpusX, and we headed back to the car.  We then continued to Independence Hall, finding a great parking spot right behind the mall.

Our first stop was to take a ceremonial picture in front of the building.  We then headed to the VC.  It was about 3 PM at this point, and we learned that there were no more tickets available for the day.  However, we learned that an express tour was offered after 5 PM with no tickets required.  We had a 7 PM dinner reservation, so, while we had plenty of time before Independence Hall, timing might be tight before dinner, especially since I wanted to go to the hotel change first.

We went first to the Liberty Bell, then Old City Hall, then the Declaration House.  Shit.  That was the spot where good old TJ wrote the damn thing.  It was newly renovated and open to the public.  Afterwards, we sat in the back plaza of the house and I produced a 3-pack of Montecristo Open Eagles.  We lit them up and enjoyed them before heading back to the car to feed the meter.  We took another ceremonial picture in front of Independence Hall and finished our cigars on the benches in the shade of the square.

It was then time to head into Independence Hall.  There was a long line, and timing no longer looked tight, but rather unworkable.  I also realized that the Plaque would not be visible during the express tour that was offered after-hours.  One thing led to another, and a Park Ranger told us that he could just let us into the side area to view the Plaque.  I said that Roberto had come all the way from Mexico to see that Plaque, which was actually very true.  Roberto was very happy to see the Plaque, and we took all of our ceremonial pictures, getting back to the line right before they let us in.

We were soon at the Congress chamber, and the guide said it was possibly the most important room in the world.  I could not disagree.  Reader, what single room in the world is possibly more important than that one?  Not only was that where we declared our independence, it was also where we worked out the kinks of our Constitution.  What other room comes close?  Some room in the Vatican maybe?  The House of Commons at Westminster Palace?  I would have to see this wins.  I had trouble fighting back the tears as I stood in this room, even though it was not the first time I had been there.

We then went back to the VC to get our souvenirs, and I realized it was ridiculous to go all the back to the hotel and back before dinner.  We could just change in the car, and we did just that.  I literally changed my pants sitting in the spacious back area of the SUV.  Connor drove us to the restaurant, and he fell in love with the car.  We got a little disoriented, but we wound up finding a parking spot right by the restaurant (Butcher & Singer).

When we got to the restaurant, I asked for Alvin Block and was led right to his table.  “Mr. Block” is practically a fixture of that restaurant.  He has dined there over a hundred times.  That is not an exaggeration.  Every member of the staff knows and loves “Mr. Block”.  Missing was his wife, who got called away due to a fashion show, which was fine, since we were able to discuss more freely certain, um, topics we could not discuss if she was there.  Halfway through our meal, one of the hostesses came up to him and announced, “Mr. Block, you have a call from your wife.”  It seemed like a scene out of a movie.

Everyone got along great, and my friends were as has glad to meet him as he was gracious to host us.  Butcher & Singer is one of the best restaurants in the city, and we had a veritable feast.  I ate far more than I wanted to, my grandfather constantly making sure we had enough to eat.  There was no concern in that regard.  I had whiskey, bread and butter (in an almost 1:1 ratio), a thick slab of bacon, wine, and steak with hash browns and mushrooms and onions.  I was in no danger of leaving that place hungry.  In fact, I did not expect to be hungry for breakfast.

If that was not enough, my grandfather insisted we get dessert.  I suggested we get a piece of cheesecake to share, but my grandfather said we’d probably need a second dessert as well, so I picked out the coconut cake, along with a cappuccino.  We split the desserts three ways, my grandfather not being able to indulge.  As I said, it was a veritable feast.  I vowed not to have a single carb after that until I left for London, but then I learned there was a Federal Donuts a block away from our hotel.  Well, starting after the donuts, not a single carb until I leave for London.  We said our goodbyes, and Connor drove us to the hotel.  I sat in the back and lit up a Juan Lopez, it only appropriate to cap off such a good meal with such a good cigar.

When we got to the hotel, I asked the valet where I could keep my cigar while I checked in, and he kept it on a shelf in the vestibule.  I had been to this hotel in, I think, 2005, when I was exploring colleges.  If I had not gone to NYU, I would have either gone here or to Princeton.  Just as the trip that proceeded this one and the two that will follow, I am reliving past trips and staying at the same hotels where I previously stayed.  It is a nice trip down memory lane.  I had sworn I had booked a hotel with two beds, so when we got up to our suite, I was glad to see there was also a couch, so it seemed everyone would have their own bed.  Well, it turned out there was only one bed.  I claimed the bed, having paid for the hotel room, and told my friends to figure out the remaining sleeping solution.

They were able to procure a rollaway bed, and I went downstairs to finish my cigar.  I found a nice bench, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and go to sleep, unless we decide to go out for some more adventures, but I expect the rest of my party to be asleep or at least in bed when I get up there.  It is not yet even 11 PM, but that meal took a lot out of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment