Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

HP: The Experience - Day 1 - "The Cursed Child"



6/11/16, “The Cursed Child”
London, England, United Kingdom


When I first decided that “The Cursed Child” would be the title of tonight’s entry, I only meant it in reference to the title of tonight’s play.  While we are no longer children, we were certainly cursed today.  I won’t go so far as to invoke Murphy’s Law, since things could have been a lot worse, but it was close.  Both my friend and I endured a long series of unfortunate events, and this entry will, as it always does, record such events from my perspective.  However, it is a more philosophical aspect I wish to first examine.

My reader will recall that the overarching theme of this Travelogue is finding the familiar within the unfamiliar and experiencing the unfamiliar within the familiar.  Whether it was an unfamiliar story with familiar characters portrayed by an unfamiliar cast or unfamiliar adversity in a familiar city, that theme rang true today.  I have stayed at this hotel three times, each time under different circumstances.  However, with the frustrations of today, it seemed a waste.  Any room with a bed would have done, but I crave my familiar.  I can’t stay in London and not stay at The Savoy.  It has become a thing for me.  I cannot but travel to Britain without thinking of Harry Potter, and this time we actually went to see a play with new Harry Potter material.  I will address the details of the play in due time, but I will, of course, #KeepTheSecrets, as JKR has requested.

Everything was going so well last night.  My friend and I messaged each other as we were getting on the plane, saying we’d see each other soon.  I had written the perfect introductory entry about the play.  All was well.  It truly was.  I watched about half of Deadpool on the plane and ate the beef meal they served before falling asleep.  I had managed to procure two open seats for myself, in a two-seater by the window, after having gotten assigned a middle seat.  I slept fine on the plane.  All was well.

I woke up and saw that my friend had sent me some messages, probably just some updates for plans for the day.  I opened them, reading from the most recent to oldest, and it didn’t make sense.  Then it did.  No.  No!!!  Nooooooo!!!!!!  I slowly realized what she was saying.  Her YYZ-LGW flight had been cancelled, and they had to reroute her YYZ-JFK-LHR.  She would not be arriving until after the play had ended.  NOOOOOOO!!!!  I told her I’d pick her up at the airport after the play.  It was the least I could do.  Besides, I was anxious to see her again and didn’t want to have to wait until Tuesday when we saw Part 2 before I saw her.

Over the course of about 48 hours, she flew LAX-IAH-MCO-YYZ-JFK-LHR, five flights.  It reminded me of the time I was coming back from Fort Simpson and had to spend an extra night in Yellowknife because they cancelled/delayed the first flight.  I was supposed to take four of five flights that day, too.  What could we do about her ticket?  I promised her we’d explore every available option to either allow her to see Part 1 another night or at least get some money back.  Spoiler alert: we failed on both accounts.

There was an atrocious line at border control, but that was fine, I had plenty of time, and it would be some time anyway before my first stop opened.  I picked up some cold bacon and then continued on to Hertz.  They upgraded me to a Mercedes for not much more than the navigation system would have cost on its own.  I was rearing to go.  The first stop would be the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew, yes, the original Kew Gardens.  Then, I’d go to the Olympic Stadium, check-in at the hotel, see what I could about the tickets, then Westminster, grab a bite to eat, then go to the play, then pick up my friend at the airport.

It was a beautiful plan, and I’d even have time to fit in a nap if all went right.  Spoiler alert: it didn’t.  It went wrong.  Very wrong.  I had some difficulty getting used to driving on the left side of the road again.  The hardest part is remembering that the bulk of your car is to your left, not your right, since the driver’s seat is on the right-side.  That would prove to be my mistake.

I was soon at Kew Gardens, and I lit up a Montecristo before walking around a bit.  I found the inscription photo and recreated it before leaving my cigar outside to walk around the greenhouse.  It was underwhelming.  I liked it better outdoors.  I retrieved my cigar and made my way back to the car, stopping for a spot of tea along the way.  I ditched the cigar outside the gardens and got in my car.  I chose another cigar for my drive to the Olympic Stadium and entered it into the GPS.  It wasn’t midday yet.  The route to the Olympic Stadium was mostly through suburban streets, narrow suburban streets with two lanes of cars and more cars parked on both sides.  I was in the left lane.  I had lit up my Aroma de Cuba for the drive a while back.

Next thing I knew, I heard a cracking noise, felt a bump, and some a puff of smoke.  I had misjudged how much car I had to my left and sideswiped one of the cars parked on the left.  My front passenger tire had impacted with his rear driver tire.  Both tires were completely destroyed.  I wasn’t sure how that happened.  I left a note for the driver and called Hertz.  Meanwhile, my friend was messaging with updates about her adversity, and I shared with her mine.  They said they would have someone out there within two hours to replace the tire, as there was no spare in the boot.  Two hours?!?  That would cost me the Olympic Stadium, which I had chalked up as loss anyway.  Fine, I’d get the tire replaced, and I’d just go straight to The Savoy and do the Olympic Stadium another time.  Simple enough, right?  Wrong!

Meanwhile, the driver from the parked car, a Royal Mail employee, had come back.  I had given him all the contact information he wanted, but there was nothing I could do to help him beyond that.  After over an hour of waiting, all the while messaging back and forth my friend and her dad and exploring options for reselling and rebuying the tickets for another night, I realized that I had another option.  I could probably drive the car half a mile or so on three wheels to the nearest tire repair center, and that would be a much quicker fix.  I should have done that right away.  If I had, perhaps things would have resolved themselves tonight.  By the time I got there, it was almost 3 PM.

What were my options?  I could wait another hour for the person Hertz sent, which would be paid through Hertz, or they could have a cab bring the tire from another center and replace it right away, but they couldn’t get that authorized since the car was so new, yes, a brand new Mercedes with less than 400 miles.  I would wait.  The manager of the tire repair center was far too gracious.  It was close to 4 PM by the time the guy finally came and replaced the tire.  Was I good to go?  He thought so.  Phew.  Finally.  No.  Wait.  NOOO!!!!!  There was another issue.  The “wishbone” had snapped.  There was no way to repair it.  I would need to have Hertz pick up the car and give me a new one.  That would be another two hours before they recovery vehicle could arrive.  That was not an option.  I would miss the play if I did that.  I could leave the car in the garage overnight, take a taxi back to the hotel, see the play, then go Heathrow after the play to get a new car from Hertz and let them pick it up in the morning, then drive my friend back with me.  That seemed simple enough.  Of course, that did not happen.

It was close to 5:30 PM by the time I got to The Savoy, and my phone was low on battery.  I checked in and knew my time was very limited.  It did not seem likely that I could manage to pick up the tickets, try to resell them outside the theatre, see the Westminster Palace (Parliament), get fish and chips, and get back to the theatre in time for the play.  Reader, everything other than the play that I planned to do today I had meant to do the last time I was in London, but my failure at the Olympic Stadium also had wound up costing me Kew Gardens and Parliament.  Today, I did manage to see Kew Gardens.  The rest will have to wait for Tuesday or for my next trip here.

After I charged up my phone a bit and settled into my room, I headed out.  I forgot my charger in my room.  If I wanted any chance of having enough charge in my phone to make it to the airport and back, I’d need that charger.  That cost me Westminster Palace.  I went to get the tickets, and I was told that I couldn’t just get a refund for one night.  They could only refund both nights.  Fuck!  As soon as I walked out, some people asked me if I had extra tickets to sell.  I offered a price, but they wanted both nights, too, just not one night.  I messaged my friend’s dad, saying I’d be back in 30 minutes.

I went back to my hotel, stopping to order some fish and chips from a pub, got my charger and dropped off my water bottle, picked up the fish and chips, ate them on the way, and was soon at the theatre waiting for my friend’s parents.  I wondered if it would be awkward just seeing the play with them.  To quote George Constaza, wait, no, I can’t post that.  Well, I guess I can post this line, “Y’now, I’m better with the mothers than I am with the daughters.”

It wasn’t awkward at all, no different than hanging out with my aunt and uncle without my cousin would be.  They were truly, all-around genuine people, and I enjoyed spending the evening with them.  They asked what I wanted to drink, and I only wanted something cold and bubbly, not in the mood to drink.  I never drink when I’m stressed.  It’s an unhealthy habit.  I settled for a Diet Coke, which hit the spot.

We went to our seats, third row, center, beautiful seats, two of which went to complete waste, at a sold out show.  We took the three middle of our five seats, her mom in the middle, so her dad and I each had an empty seat next to us.  They said that they wished it was their flight that had gotten delayed instead, and I said that I wished it was mine.  They thought I was being sweet.  I meant it.  I never lie, not even to be sweet.  When the curtain went up, I knew how empty it felt, that that empty sit next to me should have been filled with the one person in the world with whom I most wanted to share this experience.  I knew how much it would have meant to her, how excited she would have been about it.

They reenacted the Epilogue from Book 7, and I started crying knowing how epic this was, that they would be picking up right after “all was well.”  But, all was not well, not by a long shot.  I wished it was her texting me about how awesome the play was, instead of the other way around.  The play was awesome.  The black Hermione controversy was a non-issue.  In fact, casting a black Hermione added an unstated dimension to the prejudice that Hermione faced as a muggle-born wizard to the Aryan-looking, pure-blood Malfoys.  Ron was the best part.  He was literally perfect.  They had amazing practical effects.  Everything about the play was great, except the empty seat next to me.

After the play was over, my friend was already on her way into the city, on an express train.  She got there before we left the theatre.  I asked if she wanted to meet up, but she just wanted to settle in, and she’d message me if she wanted to go out later.  Otherwise, we wouldn’t see each other until Tuesday.  I walked back to the hotel and charged my phone up a bit before heading down.  I found a nice place to sit with a good view of the hotel, where I lit up an Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep before dealing with tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment