Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Maine 2016 - Day 1 - From End to End

6/25/16, “From End to End”

Fort Kent, Maine

We have spent the entire day today, seven hours including stops, driving Maine from end to end.  You can’t drive any further north into Maine.  This picture from where I’m sitting?  That’s Canada.  Right across the river is the Canadian province of New Brunswick.  Next weekend I will be in a different part of New Brunswick (along with Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island), but we did not bring our passports with us today, so we will just be gazing off at Canada before we turn around and drive right back down until we get back to Ogunquit tonight.  We are at the northern terminus of US-1.  We could drive this road straight to Key West, if we were so inclined.  Why do I go to Maine this weekend every year?  It’s for moments like this.

2013, this Saturday, I was at West Quoddy Head, and I saw the sunrise from the easternmost point in the continental US.  Everyone else in the continental US was to my west at that moment.  2014, I climbed Mars Hill to see the first sunrise of the summer.  I saw the sun rise that morning before anyone else in the continental US did.  Last year was less interesting when I drove from Augusta, Maine to Hancock, New Hampshire, but I was able to stop along the way to meet up with an old friend I hadn’t seen in a very long time.  Today, I am as far north as you can drive in Maine without getting into Canada.  Next year, who knows what Maine 2017 will entail, but I can be sure it will epic again.

After I closed last night, I had trouble falling asleep, and it was past 7 AM when I woke up, which meant it was likely this site would be our only activity for the day.  There were some other National Historic Landmarks I wanted to see, but this was the one that was most intriguing, in no small part due to its geographical location at the north tip of Maine.  My friend went down to get breakfast, as I had no appetite, and I took care of checking in formally to the hotel.  I gave him the keys, and we got on the road, almost immediately getting on I-95 N.

If we followed I-95 N all the way, it would bring us to New Brunswick, which was the route I took when I was here in October 2014 to see Fredericton.  Instead, we would be taking US-11 to Fort Kent.  I rested while my friend drove, and, after a couple of hours, I opened my eyes to the familiar tree-lined roadway.  I asked my friend if the view had changed.  It had not.



We soon stopped for a bathroom break at a roadside diner called 95 Diner, which had all sorts of highway signs inside for the décor.  We got some chicken fingers and blueberry crumb pie.  After the chicken fingers, we lit up our cigars, a Herrera Esteli TAA exclusive for me, and a Leaf for him.  Meanwhile, we played Disney music for the drive.  After the TAA, I had some of the crumb pie, which was as delicious as it sounds.  I then lit up a Fuente.

We stopped again for gas about an hour from Fort Kent, and we soon arrived.  We came across the Canadian border, which was next to the mileage marker for the beginning of US-1.  We took some ceremonial pictures there and enjoyed the vista of Canada.






We opted for the diner for lunch, and I got a double bacon cheeseburger and onion rings, along with some coffee, which is actually more of a typical Maine meal than lobster is.  We could see Canada from the lunch table.







After lunch, we walked down the road to the eponymous fort, the main reason we drove up here in the first place (besides the geographic reasons).  It is a National Historic Landmark, and the fort was built in the mid-19th Century during a bloodless border dispute with Canada, called the Aroostook War.  It led to border between Maine (and other states) and New Brunswick (and other territories) being drawn at this river, the St. John’s River.  I had lit up an Hoyo de Monterrey as we walked, and we got some souvenirs at the little gift shop.  We took our ceremonial pictures at the fort before we walked around inside.

We then walked back to the car, and I got my laptop before heading back to the riverbank, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, while my friend walked around the riverbank.  We have a long drive back to Ogunquit, and it is my turn to drive.  Dinner in Ogunquit will probably be our next and last stop of the day.




Ogunquit, Maine


I suppose there is not much to report to close out today’s entry, otherwise than a boring drive back from Fort Kent and one of the best meals I’ve ever had in Maine, which is saying a lot, since I’ve had quite a few great meals in this state over the course of my many trips here.  There is nothing like Maine lobster, and eating it in Maine, in whatever form it takes, is always a special experience.

While this trip has been a very familiar experience, to my friend, it is full of firsts.  It is the first time he has been to New England, the first time he’s eaten lobster, the furthest north he’s ever been.  That last bit surprised me the most, since we were actually south of Seattle even at the northernmost part of Maine.  He had never been.  We weren’t even north of Paris, but furthest north in Europe he had been was Turin, Italy.

I believe most of my readers will be surprised to learn that Rome is actually south of New York City.  The entire geography of Europe is significantly further north than similar climates in the United States.  Miami, which is of a similar climate as Spain, is actually at the same latitude as Dubai.  As I have mentioned, today we travelled Maine from end to end, slightly more than equivalent (in terms of latitude and distance) of driving from Rome to Milan and back.

It was a simple drive, I-95 and US-11 (not US-1, as I previously thought, which actually loops around the exterior of the state) most of the way.  It is New England’s largest state, but it is dwarfed by four other states in the mid-Atlantic area (New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and North Carolina).  The difference is, those states are arranged east to west along their longest axis, while Maine’s longest axis is north to south.  That was what we did today when we drove end to end.

After I closed overlooking the river, we drove back towards Ogunquit, and I lit up a Four Kicks, followed by a Jaime Garcia, then a Tattoo.  I was worried we’d be unable to find any place to get lobster upon a 10 PM arrival in Ogunquit, and my friend was unable to confirm any restaurants that would be open at that hour, not to mention I was not sure I even wanted to wait that late to eat.

I suggested instead we stop at the capital for dinner.  He found a restaurant inside the appropriately named Senator Inn and Spa, and it was opened until 9 PM (and right off the highway to boot).  We were fighting both gas and time to get there before they closed and without running out of gas.  We barely succeeded on both accounts, and there was a gas station next to the hotel.

It was to be an epic feast.  All of the seafood we ordered was right here from the state of Maine.  We each got an oyster and a crab cake to start, followed by lobster for our main course.  I got the lobster ravioli, while he got the regular lobster, enjoying struggling with a lobster for the first time, as part of the adventure.  I was quite satisfied with my ravioli.  I also got a Lobster Ale, since he would be driving from Augusta to Ogunquit, which was really, really good.  I might need to pick up a six-pack to take home.

We then got the strawberry-rhubarb cobbler for dessert, along with some coffees.  There was not a single bad part of the meal.  After dinner, I lit up a VSG, and we drove back, listening appropriately to a band called The Maine.  Once we got to the hotel, we settled in, and I went outside to the same spot from last night, where I sat down, lit up a Davidoff Special R, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and maybe upload some photos before I go to sleep.  We don’t have much planned for tomorrow, but it’ll be good to get an early start.

No comments:

Post a Comment