Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

HP: The Experience - Day 2 - "The Boy Who Lived"



6/12/16, “The Boy Who Lived”

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom


In my first entry, I wrote about the words that ended the last book and brought us to tears, but what about the other side, the words that captivated us, that made us begin the journey that would last seven years at Hogwarts and Nineteen Years Later and make us want to fly halfway across the world to see how the story continued?  “The Boy Who Lived”.  It was such a simple chapter title, but what did it mean?  Who was this boy, and why did it matter that he lived?  That was a secret Rowling would not fully reveal to us until the end of Book 7, but the name would keep popping up.

We all remember the first sentence: “Mr and Mrs Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were happy to say that they perfectly normal, thank you very much.”  But, why?  Why ws it so important to them to identify as normal, and what did that have to do with this boy who lived?  We would slowly learn more and more details of that, even learning a new secret in Book 7, that Mrs. Dursley actually didn’t want to be normal, that she was envious of her sister’s abilities.  These were just mere details in our seven-year journey to follow the Boy Who Lived.

We would learn and each every detail through seven books, eight movies, supplemental interviews and articles, and a two-part play, yet, we would continue to hunger for more, all because of those four little words: “The Boy Who Lived”.  It is only fitting that my journey today took me to the filming location of the original 4 Privet Drive.  It was just an ordinary house in an ordinary neighbor in an ordinary town in Surrey.  It had the desired effect.  No Muggle would ever suspect it was the home of The Boy Who Lived.

When I went to sleep last night, I wondered if I should just cancel this extension, call up Hertz, let them sort through the details at the car, book two more nights at The Savoy, and tag-along with my friend until Tuesday.  It would be much simpler surely, so why didn’t I do it?  Well, Wales.  That was the main site to see during my trip.  Wales, which had been one of my top destinations for a long time.  I knew if I didn’t go to Wales this trip, I would need to come back for it another time.  I slept in, I suppose still debating whether or not I would be going to Wales.

Finally, around 10 AM, the absolute latest I figured I could leave and still make it to Cardiff before the souvenir shops closed, I took a taxi to the airport.  They were able to sort everything out quickly enough and get me in a new car before noon.  It turned out, actually, that I was only an hour later than I could have been, since it was not until 10 AM that the Kwik Fit opened for them to call and verify the location of the car.  However, that hour would prove crucial.  Everything was down to the wire, and I realized I’d be missing or making places by a matter of minutes, not hours. 

I headed first to 4 Privet Drive, which has an actual address of 12 Picket Pock Close, Bracknell, Surrey, as opposed to 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey, the address we know all too well.  There was a light drizzle, and I took some pictures outside.  There was a woman in the kitchen.  This was someone’s home, not a tourist attraction.  I’m sure she is used to it, though.  Surely I was not the first person to do this.  I was then starving, it being 1 PM, and I hadn’t had a bite to eat since my fish and chips at 6 PM last night.

I found a place to get more fish and chips, along with battered sausage.  I got the smallest portions possible, and I had trouble finishing it, not having much of an appetite.  I then got back on the road, lighting up a Davidoff Escurio Toro, and putting on Red.  My first stop in Wales would be Blaenavon Industrial Landscape, a World Heritage Site, and they even had a World Heritage Centre (their VC).  It would be close to 4 PM by the time I got there, and the shops in Cardiff would, I figured, close at 5 PM perhaps.  It would be very tight.  The driving was very fast, and I was soon fully used to driving on the left.  I was driving 90, and people were still tailgating me.

I hit 100 at one point, and I was soon at the Welsh border, having lit up a Jaime Garcia for my second cigar and switching to Disney music.  The driving conditions in Wales were the same, and I also hit 100 there at one point.  Before long, I was driving through the beautiful landscapes of the Welsh countryside, and I knew that I had made the right decision.  By the end of the night, I would declare Wales to be one of my favorite places in the world, and I have hardly even seen most of it.  By this time tomorrow, I will have declared, “Wales Complete.”

The inscription photo for this site was something the “Big Pit.”  I went to the VC first, and they told me the details.  I also got my pin there.  The Big Pit was closed, but I could still take a picture.  That was all I wanted.  I headed to the Big Pit, lit up a Romeo y Julieta, and recreated the inscription photo.  I then entered the hotel into my GPS, and it would be tight to check-in to my hotel and get to a souvenir shop, by 6 PM now, which I figured was more realistically when shops would close on a Sunday.

I drove back through the Welsh countryside, stopping to take pictures, and I went straight to Cardiff.  There was no real parking by the hotel, and there was no reception, either.  It was a self-check-in process.  That was annoying, but I had about five minutes before 6 PM when I got back downstairs.  Well, one problem, I was by the bay, where Parliament was, and it turned out all the souvenir shops were in town centre, by the castle.

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I NEEDED THAT FLAG PIN!  I would have to be on the road by 6 AM tomorrow, and if I had to wait until 10 AM for them to open, that would fuck everything up.  I was told that the souvenir shops in town centre probably closed at 6 PM or thereabouts.   I took my ceremonial pictures at the National Assembly buildings, and I headed to town centre to take my chances.


There were three shops, two were clearly closed, and the third didn’t look like it was open, either.  I parked my car and headed there.  As I was approaching it, I uttered a little prayer, “Please be open.”  I walked in front of the door, and they opened.  Right away I saw the flag pins.  I loaded up on souvenirs and went back to the car.




Successfully, I lit up a Partagas and took a ceremonial picture in front of the castle.  I headed back to the bay and found a car park for the night.  I then walked around the wharf, finishing my cigar, and picking out a restaurant that had some traditional Welsh food.  It was an Italian restaurant called Demiro’s, but it was the only place that had Welsh specialties.  Annoyingly, all the restaurants at the wharf were different international cuisines.  That would not suffice.  I finished my cigar and dropped off my souvenirs at the hotel.

I then went to Demiro’s, and I settled in an outdoor table with a view of the National Assembly buildings.  I had to go back to my room to get my computer bag.  I was all set for the rest of the evening.  Dinner, smoke, entry, publish, bed.  I needed to wake up at 2 AM for Game of Thrones.  I ordered some Welsh favorites, cockles for my appetizer and faggots with peas and mash for my main.  I accompanied it with a Welsh gin, since this Italian restaurant didn’t have any Welsh beers or whiskey.

The meal was delicious, the view even better, and I enjoyed a VSG throughout the meal.  After dinner, I still wanted a Welsh beer, but none of the restaurants had one.  I was told to go the grocery store.  I paid my check and headed there, finishing my cigar.  They didn’t have beer openers, so I had to use a metal gate to open it.




I went to Roald Dahl Plaza and found a perfect spot, leaning back on a column, with a great view of the National Assembly building, where I sat down, lit up my Ardor (which I have smoked in so many great locations throughout the world, now including Cardiff, Wales), and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can go back to my room and publish and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment