Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Alaska - Day 1 - Arrival

7/3/14
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Washington (SEA)

As we sit in front of the gate a SeaTac that will take us to Juneau, all of the trouble of the past 12 hours is meaningless.  All that mattered was that we got out of New York and made it to SeaTac in time for our flght to JNU.  The flight kept getting pushed back, but I didn’t care.  I just cared about one thing: being on that boat in Glacier Bay NP&Pres on July 4th.  NOTHING ELSE MATTERED.  All the people complainng about being delayed, being stuck in an airport, it was all irrelevant.  I had left 8 hours to make the connection at SeaTac, and there was another 8 hours to make the connection at Juneau, so, even if the flight got cancelled, we would still have time to make alternate arrangements and get to the boat in time.  That was when the lightning started, and they had to shut down the apron.  For an hour, no planes were allowed to enter or leave the airport, so the inbound SLC flight was stuck and unable to make its way to the gate.  It was supposed to have landed at 5 PM.  In reality, they did not got off the plane until 9 PM.  They cleaned the plane, and we got on board, both of us able to keep all of our bags.  I was in Zone 1, so I wasn’t too concerned, but Sokol was in Zone 3.  I had told him half a dozen times that if they gate-checked his bag to make sure it got checked all the way to JNU.

Well before he got in, they announced that there was no more room for suitcases, but I saw him get on with his suitcase.  Apparently, when he told them we were going to Alaska, they didn’t want to take any chances and made sure to find a spot for his bag.  I had somehow made the fatal mistake of choosing a seat in front of the exit row, which meant no recline.  It was going to be a long and miserable flight.  That was when the power went out on the airplane.  Yes, reader, the lights, the air conditioning, everything.  They had to restart the plane, which took 20 minutes.  Then, they told us we were 23rd in line and would be another hour before we took off.  At 11:24 PM, we finally took off.  In a huge coincidence, to the minute almost, the 5 hours and 7 minutes we would be in the air matched the 5 hours and 7 minutes it had been since we arrived at Kennedy.  I actually managed to sleep a little on the plain, and we made our way towards the main concourse.  We would have to wait until the Alaska Airlines ticket counter opened before we could get our boarding passes.  On the way towards the connection to the N Gates, Sokol found a Visa Gift Card.  Though we had no idea whether there was anything on it, I claimed it towards general trip expenses.

We were able to get a little sleep as we were waiting for the entrance to the N Gates to open.  After it did, we took our much needed Us and went to Starbucks, seeing as we are in Seattle.  I checked the balance on the gift card, and it was enough to get coffee, a muffin, breakfast at BK, and have plenty left over for a meal at Anchorage’s finest restaurant.  After breakfast, we headed to our gate, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can get our boarding passes.


Juneau, Alaska
A few hours ago, I did something that I will only do two more times in my life.  I checked another state off of my list.  With my first bite of reindeer sausage, I had officially visited Alaska, but I had been in awe from the second we stepped out of the airport.  I have talked about significant moments of any trip, which includes the moment you realize you are going to Alaska.  I had been stoked from the moment I saw all the Alaska flights on the board at SeaTac.  Then there is the moment you realize that you are in Alaska.  That was the moment we stepped out of the airport and saw the forests and the mountains.  Our flight was unadventurous, and I was too excited to do anything until we landed.  We would still have to fly to Gustavus today, where we would overnight, but I figured we could stop at the hotel I had booked for tomorrow and drop of our suitcases.  That way, we could just bring a small bag with us to Gustavus, making the departure easier.  I still have not decided if I will get my stamps tonight or after the tour tomorrow, which might be cutting things too close.  An alternate is, if the stamps are available 24 hours, which I think they are, to get them on the July 4th before the tour.  My WHS package is in my bag, and I am practically inseperable from it.  This will not be another Grand Smokies.  There will be no “irregularities” this time around.

Sokol and I went to take our first official U in Alaska, and I thought that he had went into the stall.  I said, “I’ll see you outside.”  I went outside, and Sokol was waiting for me.  He had left when he saw the stall was occupied, so I had been talking to some random stranger.  The hotel called a taxi driver to take us to the Capitol, and our driver was the friendliest guy imaginable, giving us all the advice we needed about how to spend our day in town.  I’m quite sure that my grandfather would have given a tip equal to the amount of the fare, but I was more modest, generous, nonetheless.  He seemed to think that we were here to visit “Sean” on business and wished us luck on our meeting with the governor.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him otherwise.  We were both wearing suits, after all.  They offered tours, but I didn’t want to take the time, opting for the self-guided option instead.  I then commented that I had been inside the Capitol of the two biggest states both by area and population.

From there, we headed to a hotel to get an overpriced breakfast, but, by getting reindeer sausage, I was able to have a local dish and officially check Alaska off my list, which brings me to 48 states.  After breakfast, I lit up a Camacho, and Sokol had an Alec Bradley.  We walked around town stopping at souvenir shops, leaving our cigars outside on ledges.  I loaded up on souvenirs, since this was a capital city, after all.  After I had gotten my fill of souvenirs, and picked up a cup of coffee from a famous local chain, I we sat down on a bench with a scenic view.  The rain had stopped, and I knew that this would be a vista I would remember the rest of my life.  We were right along the waterfront, and there were mountains on the other side with houses along the mountainside.  Some were wooded, while others were snow-capped.  There are no words to describe the beauty of that vista.

After we finished our cigars, we headed to the bar that the driver had recommended for wings, which was actually the oldest bar in Juneau and on the NRHP.  I ordered us some wings and a couple of beers while we charged our phones.  We then went to take our second official U in Alaska.  The beers were quite good, and then the “wings” came.  We both looked at each other without a word.  These were not wings.  They were fried chicken drumsticks with hot sauce and ranch on the side.  We joked that we should have just said, “Fuck you, these are not wings.  Give them to someone who doesn’t know what wings are,” but we ate them.  They were edible, but nothing like Candlelight.  I ordered us another round, and then we headed back to the Capitol.  I lit up an ESG while Sokol had a Villager, and I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can finish our cigars, take our third official U in Alaska, take some more pictures, and make our way back to the airport.


Gustavus, Alaska (Glacier Bay National Park)


About 6 months, I wrote in this journal that history never quites repeat itself.  Attempting to recreate the adventures of two years ago this week was nothing less than assured failure.  When I go to a U.S. World Heritage Site, nothing less than perfect success is considered an option, yet, more often than not, something goes wrong.  For every perfect hit at Mammoth Caves and Redwoods, there are the less than perfect experiences of the Great Smokies and Yosemite.  I made it a goal to get a Plaque on every July 4th from 2012 to 2017.  By a plaque, I mean a US or Canadian WHS Plaque, which ties in to the vow that I made after getting the Mammoth Caves Plaque, something I will discuss tomorrow in my reflective entry, two years ago tomorrow.

Unfortunately, history never quite repeat itself.  Plaques are not always Plaques, and stamps are not always Stamps.  Where does that leave me?  Can I try to rationalize every failure, how it was for the best, or I can accept that perfect success is the rule and not the exception.  I can remedy the problem the best I can and move on.  I usually settle for something in the middle.  In business, you can measure your results in terms of a bottom line, but that is not always possible with my 30 Goals.  Sometimes I just need to redefine my definition of success, but I refuse to accept failure.  If it means revisiting a site or taking a square stamp instead of a round one, sometimes I need to do just that.  It can be said that the entirety of this trip was designed around getting a July 4, 2014 WHS Plaque picture and a circle stamp with that date on my WHS brochures.  That would not be happening.  It would not even be happening with a July 3, 2014 date, as I was prepared to accept.  I had made all of the preparations, but I had feared that it would be cutting it too close with the return flight and that I might not have time to stop at the VC after the boat tour to get my July 4, 2014 stamp.  I had to choose between the guaranteed July 3, 2014 stamp, or risk missing my flight and screwing up the whole itinerary, but I have gotten ahead of myself.

After I closed and took our pictures, our taxi was waiting for us, and he asked us how our meeting with the Governor was.  Prepared to go on to a how spiel about how Alaska should implement a Special Inspections program, I just said that the governor took our proposal under advisement.  The driver then said that “Sean” was a great guy and hoped it would work out.  We got to the airport well over an hour before our flight, and I had another cup of coffee, which brought me to a half-gallon for the day.  I had made the mistake of thinking we were flying an airplane on a real airline.
The pilot called our names, and we walked with him to the plane, such as it was, having to put our bags, all of our bags, in the back.  Yes, reader, I had to leave my computer bag, which contained my WHS folder, my water bottle, my laptop, and my cigars unattended.  I was a little apprehensive.  The pilot said that he was legally required to tell us to turn off our phones, but that we could keep them on if we wanted to.  It was such a short and low-flying flight that we had cell (not data) service the whole time.  To call the flight scenic would have been an understatement.  People would pay an order of magnitude higher for sightseeing tour that was not much longer.  We landed, and I kept a close eye to make sure I got my computer bag back.  There was a bit of a SNAFU with the shuttle, and we wound up waiting longer at the airport for the shuttle from the hotel than the duration of our flight.

We made our way to the park, but I soon learned that I would not be having cell service for the next 24 hours.  We had Wi-Fi at the hotel, which meant I could Facebook, Blog, email, and browse, but no texting.  For 24 hours, I would not be able to send or receive texts, and no one who might want to send me a text would know I was out of range and not just ignoring.  We passed the official National Park sign, and I considered asking the driver to stop for us to take a picture, but I didn’t have the brochure, so I decided to wait and get it later.  She said there was another sign at the lodge, but I saw no such sign.  I didn’t care.  I quickly got my bags, took my first official U in the WHS, and raced upstairs to the VC.

I had done my homework.  My list said they had the stamp at that VC, and it was open late.  I had called ahead earlier in the week, and I was told they had a WHS Plaque.  I raced around the VC, but I couldn’t find it.  That was when my world slowly began to unravel.  The ranger asked if he could help me?  Where is the WHS Plaque?  The what Plaque?  The WHS Plaque?  This?  Apparently the woman I had called earlier did not know the difference between a Plaque and a certificate.  Sure, in any other country in the world other than the US and Canada, a WHS Certificate would work just fine.  Not here, not now, not when I had designed this entire trip around that July 4, 2014 plaque and stamp.  Alright, I could live with the Certificate.  I knew Kluane had an official Plaque, and I hoped that Wrangell would, too.  It is a four site inscription, so technically one Plaque in each country would suffice.  I asked the ranger to call Wrangell to see if they had a plaque, and he did, and they did.  Phew.  The VC was open until 6 PM, which was very doable on that day.  Okay, it was time to go to the stamping.  They had a “bonus stamp,” which had a date, but it was square and had a picture.  It was the stamp they would bring on the boat, but it was not the standard NPS stamp.  Where was the stamp?  This guy knew his stuff.  He asked if I was part of the club?  I was.  He knew where every single stamp in the park was and exactly what they said.  He had been forewarned that we were coming, and he was prepared.  They did not have a standard NPS stamp with the correct date.  My list had last been updated in 2012, and the standard NPS stamp expired in 2013.  I could pencil in the date or use the non-standard stamp.  I was crushed.  I was so frustrated at this point that I didn’t even care about the July 4, 2014 date.  Sure, I would stamp my Glacier Bay brochure and my Passport book a second time with non-standard stamp on the boat tomorrow, but I didn’t want to futz with all of my stuff at sea.  Then, to add insult to injury, they did not have the right stickers.  That was okay.  I probably even had the sticker at home, or I could maybe pick it up at Wrangell.  I thanked him for his help and apologized for driving him insane.  He understood completely.  The one redeeming factor was that they had the official pins.

Sokol took some pictures of me with the Certificate, and I got a windbreaker, along with some other souvenirs from the gift shop downstairs.  Crushed at this point, I knew that only one thing would cheer me up: a hike with some great cigars, Davidoffs to be precise so as to recreate the experience from two years ago.  That was exactly what we did.  Sort of.  I had thought that the entrance sign was right past the trail head.  Sokol was convinced it was halfway back to the airport.  He was right.  As we walked and smoked along the beautiful, wooded highway, which was no different from Olympic or the rest of the Pacific Northwest, I kept saying the sign would be just around the bend or just past the hill.  This went on for two hours.  We had seen the shuttle going up the road, figuring we could get to the sign in time, take some pictures, ditch the cigars, and take the shuttle back.  Just as we were approaching the sign, tired, sore, and exhausted, we saw the shuttle approach.  We couldn’t tell it to wait, so there was nothing to do but laugh.

We took our pictures, and I ditched my cigar, which was starting to burn me at that point.  We figured we could hitch a ride from the next car coming down the road.  It was a great plan, but no cars were coming in the right direction.  Finally, we saw a car.  He gladly stopped, and he was obviously stoned.  He only had one seat.  The next car was a van driven by someone who looked like Jesus, even had a similar name, Jesse or something.  He gave us a ride.  When he asked where we were from, I answered New York, unqualified as always.  The city or the state?  The city.  Which borough?  Manhattan.  That is the correct line of questioning.  Anything else will get an indignant response from me that is based on my definition of “New York” being Manhattan between 2nd Avenue and 8th Avenue, 14th Street and 59th Street.

Then it was time for dinner.  Using the gift card we had found, we splurged, ordering two Alaskan beers, smoked salmon chowder, crab cakes, halibut, and salmon, all local.  It was so good.  Sokol said that the waiter was convinced we were gay, and I replied just as Jerry and George would have.  The best part, by far, was the salmon, and I could not help but thinking of my mother, who was with me on the last July 4 US WHS and will be with me on my next July 4 US WHS.  She would not have liked the salmon.  It was too salty and too undercooked for her taste, but it was the way salmon should be.  After dinner, Sokol was starting to get silly, whether from lack of sleep or the beer, I don’t know, but I tried to convince him to smoke the same cigars with me that I smoked with my brother two years ago at the WHS where I vowed to say US/Canada Complete.  He took a few puffs, but he had no focus and was unable to sit still or stay calm.  The bugs were bothering him to boot.  He went inside for socks and never came back.  As much as I hate bugs anywhere else in the world, I have an advantage over him.  I am in love with The North, especially during the summer, and bugs are just a natural part of being outdoors in the North during the summer.  There will be a lot more in this topic in future entries.

After we lit up the cigars, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish it and upload my photos.  Oh, I forgot to mention that as I puffing on my cigar, someone asked me what I was smoking?  Rocky Patel Thunder.  He loved Patel.  I thought to myself that if he knew cigars, he would not say that.  No one loves Rocky Patel.  It is a cheap cigar sold to people who don’t know better, and I had said as much to the cute rep when I saw her last week, not caring that I was making a very pretty woman very angry at me.  The guy then came back and started talking about VSGs and Padron 64s, two of the best cigars in the US.  Clearly this guy knew his stuff.  He asked where I was from?  New York.  What part?  I did not say, “If I meant Brooklyn or Albany, I would have fucking said Brooklyn or Albany.”  Instead, I just repeated, “New York.”  He got the hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment