Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Alaska - Day 15 - The North

7/17/14

Kotzebue, Alaska

“You should have gotten here two days ago, the weather was beautiful.”  It seems to be a common theme, not the first time we’ve heard similar words.  Alaskan weather is, for the most part, for the lack of a better word, shitty.  Granted, we have really gotten the brunt of it.  So many places we have visited have had terrible weather for the day of our activity, only for it to be beautiful the day before or after.  It has really fucked up some elements of our trip.  Starting with the hurricane that chased us out of New York, almost cancelling our outbound flight, this trip has singularly been about the weather.  It rained twice during my Eurotrip.  Both times were when I was driving very early in the morning, and it cleared up by the time I got to my first stop.  We would have no such luck on this trip.  During our July 4th boatride, which was supposed to be the highlight of our trip, the thing that was going to set the tone for the whole trip, miserable rain turned it from something that could have had a very high enjoyment value to something that was pure fulfillment value.  The next three days, while we explored the land based portion of The WHS, we actually had some really good weather.  In fact, it was the only time we had good weather during the whole trip.

I didn’t mind getting wet a little, though it may very well have contributed to my foot injury.  I quickly learned that wearing shorts and sandals would not be an option, the weather being too unpredictable for that, even though I did get one nice day out of that outfit, the one bad day practically cancelled it out.  Then came the day for our charter flight, what was supposed to be the triumphant conclusion to Phase 1.  Cancelled on account of weather.  The days before and after had nice weather, and the weather was actually good in Homer during the afternoon, but there was no way to fly through the mountains, and seasoned pilots were grounding all of their flights.  I suppose that was what broke me, what turned the enjoyment of The WHS into a trip that would be mostly about fulfillment value, collecting what enjoyment I could.  When we flew to Barrow, the weather was so bad we almost couldn’t land.  It was a fucking tundra!  How could they have rain?  In fact, the weather was so bad they had been cancelling flights all week.  We were very fortunate to make it through.  When we got there, they told us that the weather would be really nice on Sunday.  We were leaving on Saturday.

Then came Denali.  A clear day would mean magnificent views of Mount McKinley.  The forecasts varied among clear, cloudy, and rainy.  We got cloudy, which meant that we could do our nature walks but that we couldn’t see McKinley.  The clouds started to part just as we left.  Next was the Dalton.  We got hit by the worst rain they had in years, decades maybe.  That was the day we chose to drive, and that was the day we got stuck in the mud and fucked up our car.  When we finally made it Kotzebue, the weather was shitty here again, but we somehow managed to do our first day of flying, and the second day is looking good, even if slightly delayed.  We made all of our landings on the first day but had to take some circuitous routes to do it.  We were told that the weather two days ago, the day we drove the Dalton, was beautiful.  Oh, the irony.


Aboard Northwestern Aviation N4557F, En route to Kotzebue (PAOT)

While we did not get to see Bering Land Bridge NPres, my time in Kotzebue did give us what we needed to say, “North American Mainland Arctic Complete.”  I couldn’t think of a way to include my Northern Canada Compete into that mix, so I had to settle for something that effectively just meant officially visiting every NPS north of the Arctic Circle.  The reason that we couldn’t include Bering Land Bridge NPres was actually not the weather, but rather Dutch Time.  Jim had to push everything back because of the weather, yes, but it took another hour after that from the time he got back to the office to the time we were in the air.  We woke up early, and I took my shower.  I knew that Sokol would never be ready in time, so I headed down to breakfast while Sokol took his.  He would wind up trading breakfast for that extra sleep.  It was a perfectly decent buffet at a reasonable price, especially for Northern prices.  After breakfast, as I was getting ready, I tried to call the office, but no dice.  Then the phone rang.  Sokol and I looked at each other in a panic.  When I had walked into the room, there was still a hint of smoke smell.  Had they figured it out?  No, it was Linda telling us we had the morning off.  Weather was holding us up, and we should check in again with her at 12:30 PM.  I wrote my morning entry, read my emails, did whatever I might do to kill time, reading the news, checking Facebook.  We needed to check out by 11 AM, so we did that and then headed next door for lunch.  Sokol had napped the whole time, so it was really breakfast for him.  The meal was really good, more Chinese food for me, a steak sandwich for Sokol.  We then headed to the office, but Linda said we needed to wait until Jim got back in two hours.  It was fine.  We would still have time for Cape Krusterstern NM, and we could try for Bering Land Bridge NPres if we had time.

We spent an hour or so walking around town, smoking cigars (a Gurkha for me, a Cheap Bastard for Sokol), and looking for souvenirs.  Our first stop was the general store, and Sokol just asked someone, “Do you know where the store is?”  “It’s just down the road on the left.”  And so it was.  They had t-shirts and a cheap, windproof lighter, which has been a real boon.  No keychains.  We stopped at four different places, the first three of which pointed us to another store.  The last one, the NPS VC, told us no dice.  Long done with our cigars, we headed back to the office, and Jim was just getting there.  By the time Jim had gassed up the plane, and we were ready to go, I knew that to try for Bering Land Bridge NPres would be a fool’s errand.  I wasn’t going for Alaska Complete, nor was I even going for USA/CAN north of the 60th Parallel Complete.  It was just another NPS.

We needed to wear high boots to trudge through the swamp to the float plane, and the boots were a boon once we got off the plane at the NM.  Cape Krusterstern is an ancient native hunting ground, for thousands of years, they would set up camp along the waterfronts to hunt for marine mammals.  They still do, and we saw plenty of cabins on route.



Once we landed, it was desolate wasteland as far as the eye could see, just empty tundra.  I lit up my Davidoff, while Sokol had a fake Cohiba.  We took our first official Us of the NM into the swamp and then walked around for a bit.  Sokol commented that the ground felt like a bouncy castle and challenged me to a jumping contest.  My foot was not fully recovered, so I had to turn him down.  I wanted to get some rocks, but, remembering the sand dunes, I tested it with the boot first.  No dice.  They were “fake rocks.”  In the end, I found some real rocks.  After the cigars, we got back on the plane, Sokol dropping his sunglasses into the swamp (he found them), and I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we are making our approach to the airport lagoon.


Ralph Wien Memorial Airport, Alaska (OTZ)


I have written about the outrageous food prices here in Northern communities, and one of the best examples is the outrageous price of soup at the Chinese restaurant.  I don’t know if the soups are fuller or bigger like a whole or if they are just an overpriced cup of soup.  I could get a whole gallon of egg drop soup from Hop Won for the same price.  In all my visits to these communities, I have not once ordered soup.  As we were walking from the office to the Alaska Airlines terminal, I told Sokol that, the next time I was in one of these communities, I would order the soup just to see what it was.  As soon as I said that, I realized that it might be a very long time before I venture above the 60th Parallel west of Greenland again.  All that remains to me in Canada is below the 60th Parallel, and there will be nothing left for me in Alaska for quite some time if tomorrow goes well.  I suppose that Greenland will have similar prices, but do they serve Chinese food in Greenland?

As we prepare to get on the flight that will take us back to Anchorage, I cannot help but be saddened by this concept.  In all of travels, no place has given me more of a culture shock than these communities.  I have now taken 4 trips and visited seven of these communities, maybe more.  Before I arrived in Fort Simpson, I had seen Native Americans before, but I always thought of them as localized to the Southwest, in small reservations, never once considering that there would be whole cities, whole regions, that had a majority of a native population.  In fact, probably most of the geographic area of North America still has a predominantly native population.  There are a lot of negative things to be said about this population, but I will not include that.  To me, it is a part of a place I love too much to criticize its population.  I love the North.  There is nothing like in the world.  From the desolate tundra, to the soaring mountains, to the expansive forests, every bit of it is wonderful.  The cold preserves.

Alaska is like Seattle on steroids.  The coastal regions only paling in comparison in beauty to the mountainous interior.  Even the boring parts have their own beauty.  It is a way of living that would appeal to me if I were not so devoted to the city.  In McCarthy, they only had locks on the bathroom doors, and I’m quite sure a vacant/occupied hanging sign would have worked just as well, except people would forget to turn it.  In Iqaluit, people would leave their cars running while they went in to the grocery store, and I’m sure it is the same in many other parts of the North during the winter.

I love the idea of places so remote, so untouched, that they are only connected by air.  In each of these places the hotel has been the biggest building in the city, and everyone knew where everything was.  Everyone knows what time “the jet” or “the evening jet” lands and leaves.  The airport terminal just has the one gate.  You can easily walk from the airport to the hotel in some of them, while others require a short drive.  Sokol asked me how people here afford the high food prices, and I answered quite simply.  Rent is probably practically nothing here.  In New York, people might spend 50-75% of their net salary on rent.  That is very atypical for human civilization.  Ever since the invention of money, food was the single biggest expense of the working class.  Here, in a place where not much has changed, that, too, remains the same.   Sure, they can’t grow or raise any food here.  The natives and the locals hunt their own meat, which helps a lot, but the white folk need to buy meat, and they all need to buy produce.  What they save on rent they put back into food.  I do not imagine people here have much disposal income.  I saw a listing how the poorest places tend to have the highest costs of living for outsiders.  With the hotel and food prices here, that is quite true of the North.

My father and I both agree that Nordic women tend to be the most beautiful women in the world, and I go one step further, including what I call “the Northern look,” which means descendants of Scandinavian immigrants, maybe mixed a little with some continental ancestors.  I think that I like that look better because I love the North more than I love Germany and Denmark, though I have not seen much of Scandinavia.  The next time I venture above the 60th Parallel will be a 9-day journey to try and say “Finno-Scandinavia Complete,” and I have no doubt I will love it as much as I love North America above the 60th Parallel.  After that, I will still have Iceland and Greenland, which I suspect I might love even more than anywhere else in the North, especially since the way I have it planned will be one of the most relaxing extended trips I take.  Some people like the Caribbean or Florida or California coast.  To me, the most beautiful nature in the world is, and always will be, the North.

No comments:

Post a Comment