Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

27th Birthday Bash - Day 1 - Looking Back

9/13/14
Andorra La Vella, Andorra

Today I turned 27, and I feel old.  If I think back to ten years ago how I thought my life would be at this point, it is nothing like that at all.  I fully expected that I would be married at this point, pursuing my passion in academia, with a PhD in Mathematics, possibly a post-doc or an adjunct professor at Princeton.  When I think back to five years ago, it was during the dark times, and I have no memory of what I might have been doing for my birthday at that point or what was going on in my life.  I have blocked it out.  I assumed that that was the new normal and that I would have no interests besides Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, and Narnia, that there would be no women in my life besides Padme, Arwen, Bella, and Susan, and I had no friends.  Now, excluding my family, there are four women in my life whom I love dearly, each by very different definitions and uses of that word, and I have more friends than I ever had.  Now, well, recently, I seem to have lost interest in all of my old interests, except work, travel, and philosophy, but I have cycled through so many interests and passions in the past five years that I have lost count.

Five years ago, I certainly did not expect my life to be going this well.  While the happily ever fantasy I dreamed about ten years did not exactly come to fruition, the doomsday scenario I feared five years ago did not either, so I can be happy about that.  Happiness is such a fickle thing.  On paper, today was a great day.  I said, “Catalonia Complete,” and I celebrated my birthday in Andorra.  I rekindled an old friendship, and I am steadily building a new one.  Why then, did I feel so miserable all day?  It is in my nature to try to overanalyze everything to try and overlook the simplest answers.  Could it have simply been that I spent the day driving on winding mountain roads and walking around in the hot sun with no food and almost no sleep?  Could I have just been tired and cranky?  Did I really have to start questioning my whole travel routine, that I was getting jaded of these WHS runs, that Catalonia could not really do anything for me?

Let's start at the beginning.  The flight was long and boring, and I got some sleep but not enough.  I had extra legroom, but I had misunderstood the seating chart and had opted out of getting a seat with even more legroom.  When we landed, there was a long line at customs, but, when I got there, she just looked at my passport for the next empty spot, not even scanning it.  Seriously, that’s how easy it is to get into the EU?  I didn’t complain, much better than Canada.  It was another ordeal to get the car, but I got GPS, and I was told I could in fact drive it into Andorra.  My first stop was the Olympic Stadium.  As I was driving towards the city, it finally hit me, “I’m in fucking Spain!”  Of course, it would be better to describe my day as being in Catalonia.  I saw more Catalonian flags than Spanish ones, and all the road signs and street names were in Catalonian, not Spanish.

The stadium was mamash, and I knew there was a viewing gallery where you could see the inside of the stadium.  I wasn’t sure if you could just stand under the archway or actually go all the way inside to make it official.  I also didn’t know where it was, so I started to circle counterclockwise.  I wound up walking 330 degrees around when I could have just walked 30 clockwise.  At least I got to see the whole stadium.  I was spent from that walk in the hot sun, and I did not recover until I got to Andorra.  I finally got to the viewing gallery, and it was official.  You could go inside the stadium.  I was so happy.  It was the last time I was happy the entire day.  I took my first official U in Spain, glad I got to do it in the Stadium, since that was the whole point of the trip, headed back to my car, and put in the Gaudi site.  I was to be my first WHS of the trip, and I was now almost an hour behind schedule.  I had allowed an hour of Dutch Time, but it wasn’t yet noon, and it was almost all gone.  I figured that I would probably just Lavaux the rest of the sites to make up the time.

I planned to just park the car outside the Casa Batlló, light up my cigar, take a picture, have a sip of water, and be on my way.  I knew that the next site was close by and would have some souvenir shops nearby, so I would share the cigar between the two sites, my stash running low.  There was one problem with this plan.  There was no safe place to pull over and take a picture.  The nearest spot was like three blocks away.  In the end, whatever time I had hoped to recoup got absorbed into this Dutch Time for the parking.  There was a tobacco shop on the way to the Guadi site, so I walked in, hoping to reload.  I asked if he had any sealed boxes.  He laughed and shook his head.  At that point, I should have walked out of there, but they had Cohiba Siglo II, my favorite cigar in the world.  The problem is, there is no way to tell a fake one from a real one without smoking it.  I smelled and felt it, and it seemed fine.  After two puffs, I suspected that it was fake.  I tried peeling the band off, and it was glued sealed, a clear sign of it being fake.  I threw it out and lit up my Partagas.  The Guadi site, while architecturally interesting, was a huge letdown.  I took my picture and headed back to the car.

After that, I planned to go to the Palau de la Musica Catalunya, which seemed to be in the touristy part of the city.  I just found one souvenir shop, and the selection was lacking.  Parking, this time in a garage, was another ordeal.  I had to drive all up and down the garage, reversing in and out of tight spots, until I finally went to the floor he wanted.  Again, the Palau was underwhelming.  I still had plenty of cigar left, and the touristy part was actually by Parliament.  Perfect.  I would add in the Parliament to help make Catalonia Complete more Official.  The parliament building is called “Palau del Parlament,” simple enough.  I put in to my GPS, “Palau de, “Palau de Congressos de Catalunya,” and it seemed to be in the right spot.  When I got there, it was all wrong.  Apparently, it was just a convention center, not the actual Parliament, which was far away, and I was already 1:15 behind schedule, having exhausted my Dutch Time.  If I really needed it, I could stop by at sunrise on Monday before breakfast.  I had collected the bear minimum for souvenirs, so I was good.  Okay, I am mamash tired, so I need to pause to rest my eyes for a bit before I continue with the rest of my voyage through Catalonia.


Okay, that pause was longer than anticipated, and I almost fell asleep.   I will need wrap this up as quickly as possible.  Anyway, my first site the Roman Ruins in Tarragon.  The drive was fast, and I even broke 161 at one point just keeping up with a couple of hot shots ahead of me.  I got there, and I was wowed.  I certainly was not jaded at that point.  Before I got out, I checked my itinerary to see how much time I could manage there.  Then I noticed something strange.  The distance I had recorded to the next site was 2:45, while the site after that was only another 0:30.  The latitude/longitude coordinates showed the distances to be about the same, the second one even a little further away.  How could it take so long?  Were the roads for Tarragon to Poblet that much worse than the ones from Poblet to Taull?  It seemed off.  I entered the site into my GPS, and, sure enough, it was less than an hour.  That meant I had just recovered two hours, one of them having gone to Dutch Time, the other available for a nice lunch in Poblet so that I could get my official meal in Catalonia.  It even meant that I would have had time to go the correct Parliament after I realized my mistake.  I lit up an Hoyo de Monterrey and walked around a bit, taking pictures and sharing them in various manners.  It was certainly my favorite WHS of the day.  My birth minute came and went, and then I was on my way to Poblet.

When I got to Poblet, there was a great place to get lunch across from the monastery, so I figured I would eat there.  I went to enter the next site, the Sint Climent church in Taull, but it was all wrong.  It was a hotel by that name, the church of that name was far away.  I went to the failsafe, the latitude/longitude coordinates.  No, that wasn’t right either.  Something was very off.  I looked up the coordinates again, and I had recorded them by a one degree south, closer to the monastery than it should have been.  I entered the right coordinates.  Fuck!  There was the 2:45 drive.  I had transposed the two distances.  On top of that, I was one Cuban short, and the last one would only bring me to Andorra, leaving me nothing for the WHS in France.  I would have to reload in Andorra, but I was hoping to push everything up and get to Parliament before dark tomorrow.  That was a lost hope.  Okay, so I certainly didn’t have time for lunch.  I also didn’t have time to really walk around.  I was now risking arriving at the restaurant after they closed.  I lit up my tiny Fonseca and took my pictures at the monastery.  I knew the rest of the day would be a complete rush until I got to the restaurant.  On top of that, I was tired and hungry, but I had no time to eat anything other than a couple of Quest bars, and I had no time for a siesta.

I raced to the final WHS of the day, one of the Catalonian Romanesque churches.  This one was called Sint Climent.  By the time I got there, I was so spent, so jaded, so fed up with everything that I didn’t bother to check if they had souvenirs or even look for a plaque.  As I walked out of the car, I decided, “Fuck the Parliament.  Fuck the Official meal.”  I just lit up the H. Upmann, took my pictures, posted one, and announced, “Catalonia Complete,” adding some sarcastic retort.  The church was pretty cool, and, if I was in a better mood, I would have enjoyed it a lot.  Then, I had to go back down the winding road, all the way to Andorra, and the elevation was killing me.  Everything was making me sick.  I almost pulled over to take an Offical yak.  Instead, I just opted to rest my eyes.  As I was trying to lean back, I got a phone call from an unknown number.  It was Hotels.com, and they were calling to tell me that my hotel was shut down and that they needed to transfer my reservation to another number.  Ugh.  Well, the guy took care of it, and I adjusted my GPS.  I was past caring about anything at this point other than getting to my restaurant for my first Official meal in Andorra, my first Official meal as a 27-year-old.  As I’m sure my reader does not know, Andorra is not part of the EU or even the Schengen Area.  That means that, in theory, there is a border control between Andorra and the surrounding countries (France and Spain).  In practice, there is not.  I kept asking, “Am I in Andorra now?” until I got to the Official sign.  It was so weird.

Anyway, I got to my hotel, checked in, and took a taxi to the restaurant.  I knew that I would be in no state to drive home after the meal.  It was Andorra’s best restaurant, and the food was excellent.  I opted for their snail specialty as my appetizer, which was way too much work, and the lamb, which is a local favorite, for my main course.  The lamb was too fatty, but I didn’t care.  I was mamash toasted at that point, so I just picked it up with my hands and ate all five chops like that.  Oh, so I had wanted a glass or two of Andorran wine, but they only had it by the bottle.  They had a small bottle for a reasonable price, so I ordered that.  It turned out, they were sold out of the small bottle, so he gave me a full bottle for the same price.  I only drank half of it, and I poured another glass when I got back to my hotel.  After the lamb, I got flan for dessert.  It wasn’t on my diet, but I didn’t care.  It was my birthday.  If I wanted a piece of flan, I was bloody well having a piece of flan.  When I got back to the hotel, I weighed in.  I’m convinced that the scale is wrong.  The number that came up was lighter than I had ever been since my freshman year of college.  I didn’t doubt my metric conversion, but this was post-meal, pre-U, and it just couldn’t have been right.  Anyway, I was happy, if it was not true.  Sometimes it’s nicer to believe a pleasant lie than face a hard truth.  I lit up a Davidoff and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment