Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

49th State - Day 1 - Goal 2/17 Complete

9/28/14
Boise, Idaho


Today I did something that I will only do one more time in the rest of my life, something that I will do for the last time this month three years from now.  I checked a new state of my list.  Idaho is the 49th state that I have visited.  There is only one more: Hawaii.  Granted, I could pick any weekend I wanted, take a flight from JFK-HNL, go find some beach roast party, light up a Cuban, eat some kalua pig, take an Official U into the Pacific, knock off that 50th state, and be back at work Monday morning.  That is not how I will visit my 50th state.  It will be an epic, and I mean epic, 18-day trip that knocks off the last of my 30 Goals and takes me to Guam and Samoa.  Speaking of my 30 Goals, I completed the second one of my goals today: all US Winter Stadiums.  In fact, I managed to visit the sites of all 4 Stadiums during this year, the year of a Winter Games.  I have actually now been to the sites of all Olympic Stadiums in the U.S., Summer and Winter.  It gave me a great sense of pride and accomplishment to be able to say that as I walked out of Rice-Eccles Stadium this evening, since each visit had its own story.

Before I get on to recounting the events of today, a brutal day in the rain, not the fun and relaxed day I had hoped, I must recount a bit of philosophy that I am working on.  It is nowhere near fully developed, but it is a good start.  Three months ago, I offered my idea of romantic attraction as a function in three variables.  That was the math side of me.  Simply put, it said that romantic attraction consisted of three aspects: physical, emotional (or mental), and chemical attraction.  It was a bad definition, and I was still using Rand’s definition of love, so I said that emotional attraction, the shared values and mutual respect definition, which would more properly be considered mental attraction, was the only type of love.

As I was driving, it struck me that that was the wrong dichotomy (well, trichotomy), especially since it ignored passion and compatibility.  Chemistry is not compatibility.  Those are two very different things.  Yes, chemistry is an aspect of compatibility, but it is not the only aspect.  Likewise, physical attraction is not passion.  Yes, again, it’s an aspect.  Without physical attraction, there can be no passion, but physical attraction alone is not a sufficient Efficient Cause of passion.  I am not sure where the mental attraction fits in.  I know that is possible to feel desire solely based on mental attraction (I am thinking of a specific person here), but I never got the opportunity to test if I would have felt passion towards her, nor will I ever get that opportunity (we are too incompatible in a very fundamental way).  Further, passion and desire are not the same thing.  They are similar, but they are not the same.  I am still trying to reshuffle the physical/mental/chemical trichotomy into this new passion/compatibility or maybe desire/compatibility dichotomy.

Last semester, Amelia called me a pure Rationalist.  I had not yet studied the Rationalist philosophers, so I just thought she was calling me purely rational.  I took it as a compliment, but it is not true.  I am not a Rationalist.  Everything cannot be deduced rationally.  Sometimes you need empirical evidence.  This question, this definition of love, a question I have been trying to answer for probably the past ten years or more, is one that requires empirical evidence, which I have been gathering practically my whole life, not that I plan to be looking for any more empirical evidence any time soon.  “I cheated on you in the name of philosophy” is not an excuse anyone would buy, and it is not an excuse I would try to sell, nor am I even the type of person capable of infidelity because it is as dishonest to yourself as it is to your partner, and I am incapable of lying to myself.  For now, I am going with what I call the Sochi definition of love: wanting to hold someone in your arms and never let go.  Wanting to hold them is the desire, never wanting to let go is the compatibility.  I have quite a bit of driving to do tomorrow, and I intend to better develop this theory by the time I get to SLC.

Alright, the adventures of today, and there were plenty.  I don’t remember if it was raining when I woke up, but it was certainly raining by the time I got on the road.  Breakfast was meager, but I wasn’t too hungry, so it was fine.  My plan was to light up my smallest Cuban, walk to the Capitol, take my picture, go to the Mormon Temple, take my picture there, and walk back to the car.  I figured that I would be done with the Cuban by then, so I could light up my Davidoff Nic Toro once I got on the highway.  It is the cigar that pumps me up for the first long drive of the trip, and I always feel alive and ready to drive to hell and back when I light it up.  One problem, well, two.  First, I forgot that State Capitols don’t get cigars.  I am so accustomed to lighting up the Cuban in front of the State Capitol, as those two things are often the last aspect of saying a state Complete, but I never have a cigar in the Official picture.  On top of that, it was either wet or rainy, so that made for a slower smoke.  In the end, I was underwhelmed by the Mormon Temple, so I didn’t even bother walking there, and the Montecristo lasted half of the way to Idaho.

When I saw the Welcome to Idaho sign, right at the border, since it was long and flat road, I was pumped, but I still hadn’t lit up the Nic Toro.  It was raining, but that didn’t stop me from getting out of the car to take my picture.  There was no place to take the Official U, so I knew that would have to wait until I got to the NPS.  I got back in the car and lit up the Nic Toro, but I wound up still having some left by the time I got to my destination.  The speed limit was 80 mph, the fastest I had ever seen in the U.S., so I had no trouble breaking 100 in both states, though I kept my cruise control at 89 for the drive.  My GPS thought the speed limit was 75, and the signs were new, so it must have been a recent change, which meant that I was able to shave significant time off of my drive, arriving well ahead of schedule.  I got my stamps at the VC and got a trail map and some guidance on a hike that would take me about an hour.

It would have been the perfect hike, if it wasn’t rain and if I hadn’t gotten lost.  Yes, I got lost, and it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, but more on that later.  The views were breathtaking.  It was called City of the Rocks National Reserve, and it certainly was a city of rocks.  I lit up a Cohiba and hit the trail, quickly finding the perfect spot for my first Official U in Idaho.  I did the first part of the trail, almost slipping on the wet rocks a few times, with little trouble.  I then went to do the extension.  That was where the trouble began.  The signage was either lacking or did not match the brochure.  I was quickly lost.  I have a good enough sense of direction that I was pretty sure I could have turned around and just retraced my steps, but it seemed like I was heading the right direction towards the parking lot.  The sign posts just were useless.  I started to get a little nervous, and it quickly turned into fear.  Due to the rain, no one else was hiking.  My water supply was dwindling.  I didn’t have any food.  The rain would have caused very quick hypothermia.  I didn’t have cell service.

Eventually, I found a sign that said “Bath Rock,” which was where the parking lot was.  I followed that sign, and it seemed like I was back on the trail.  I was not.  I was lost again.  Then I started to panic.  To be afraid was rational.  It would allow me to recognize the dangers and do what needed to be done to cope with them.  To panic was irrational.  I reminded myself of that and calmed down.  I walked back towards the signpost that said “Bath Rock” and looked at my trail map.  I guessed where I was and where I needed to go back to the trail.  I calculated how long the walk was to the trail based on where I thought I was.  If it took longer than that, I would retrace my steps.  It would take longer, but it would get me back.  Sure enough, I guessed right, and I found the trail.  When I found the signpost for the trail, I kissed the signpost and headed back towards the parking lot.  I saw the view where I had taken my Official U, and I knew I had gotten it right.  I was freezing and soaking wet.

I looked at the timestamp on my picture, and, while it seemed like I had gotten lost for an hour, the whole hike actually took less than an hour, so I was well ahead of schedule, and I had time to stop for my first Official meal in Idaho.  I got a steak and fries, figuring that that would be the perfect local meal.  It was great, but the panic from getting lost had killed my appetite.  Someone people eat when they are stressed.  I lose my appetite.  I got the rest to go, saving it for later, knowing I would be hungry during my drive at some point.  That was that, the Cuban, the Official U, and the Official meal.  49 States down, 1 to go.

I lit up a My Father and headed towards Golden Spike NHS, where, in my mind at least, Nat Taggart drove in the golden spike to complete the Taggart Transcontinental railroad.  Yes, Reader, I know that it was actually the Union-Pacific railroad, but that was not what went through my mind when I was there and smoking my Prensado.  I was now in need of gas, and it was getting tight, tight enough that I used my GPS and drove out of the way a little bit.  I finished my steak and fries while I filled up.  From there, it was time to go to the 2002 Winter Stadium, the other point of this crazy trip.  It was looking like I would 45 minutes ahead of schedule and arriving at my hotel well before 10 PM, except for two things, parking and traffic.  The public parking area was quite a distance away from the stadium, and the traffic around the stadium, right before the game was brutal.  It wound up taking me an hour to do the whole experience, putting me right back on my original schedule with an arrival time of 11 PM, though I knew I could shave off another 30 minutes once I got back on I-84.  I was right about that.

The Stadium was well marked with glorious signs that it hosted the 2002 Winter Games.  There were also signs that said no containers.  My water bottle.  What would I do?  They didn’t care.  I walked in, took my Official U and some pictures and walked out.  That was that.  I had completed the second of my 17 goals.  I had visited every Olympic Stadium in the U.S., Summer and Winter.  I headed back to the car and got on the road.  I was right, in the end, I shaved off half an hour, even after stopping for gas.  The hotel, guest house, actually, had a weird check-in procedure.  They email you the code for the front door and leave the key in a drawer inside.  It seemed like a recipe for disaster.  It was.  My key was not there.  Ugh, what would I do?  Well, I just tried calling the number of the hotel.  No answer.  I left a message and started looking around for the key.

I got a call back.  She couldn’t find my reservation.  I had the confirmation email in front of me.  She was looking at the wrong day.  She was about 10 minutes away, so she drove down, gave me the spare key, and let me in.  She was nowhere near as apologetic as she should be.  It didn’t matter.  I chose this place because it had a balcony with a view of the Capitol.  That was all that mattered.  I got situated, lit up my Ardor Duo Punto, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can move the mattress outside and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment