Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, September 15, 2014

27th Birthday Bash - Day 3 - The Journey Home

9/15/14
Aboard DL 477, En route BCN-JFK

After I closed last night, I came to a sense of clarity.  It was a sort of “all is well” moment.  I would be back to normal life within 24 hours, and I could deal with needed to be dealt with, rather than stressing over the things that I could not change.  Writing about it helped, as did talking it out.  I was pretty much fully packed, never really having unpacked in the first place.  I knew that I needed to set an alarm as a fail-safe, and I opted for 6 hours later.  It would give me just enough time to eat quickly, dress, and head straight to the airport in time for my 10:40 AM flight.  Only, there was one problem.  That was tight timing, and my flight was at 10:25 AM, not 10:40 AM.  I did not realize that at the time.  I woke up naturally, of course, at 7:20 AM and headed down to breakfast.  This was one of those hotels where you need to leave your keycard in the slot to power the electricity.  As I was walking out, still in a bit of a daze, I felt a keycard in my pants pocket.  That’s funny.  I didn’t remember having two keys or taking out a second key.  I didn’t give it much thought.

My parents stayed at this hotel last summer, and my mother, not exactly a big breakfast eater, raved about the quality of the breakfast.  There were three rooms, but only one of them mattered.  There was a huge selection of cold cuts, breads, pastries, and fruits.  I got myself a plate and ordered a coffee.  I wanted to be in and out in about 15 minutes, but the coffee took forever, messing up my whole schedule.  I knew that I could not enjoy my breakfast without coffee.  I slowly pecked at the cold cuts while I waited for the coffee.  Eventually, it came, and I only had a few bites left.  I was pissed.  I then went for the hot food, a miserly selection, one small table.  I then went for the desserts, getting a little of everything.  That was excellent.  All in all, I was very disappointed by the breakfast, especially after the glowing review my parents had given it.  Nothing could ever compare to that amazing breakfast my first morning in the Black Forest.

Reader, recall that keycard?  I went to my room, only to discover that it was the keycard from Andorra la Vella.  Fuck!  I was locked out.  I went down for a new keycard, and they just asked my room number.  I could have gotten the key for any room.  I quickly showered, dressed, and gotten out of there, no time now to stop at Parliament.  It was 8:25 PM, and I figured that it was 15 minutes to the airport, which would allow me to arrive two hours before my 10:40 AM flight.  I was wrong on two accounts.  First, my GPS said it was 37 minutes to the airport.  Second, my flight was at 10:25 AM.  Fuck!  There was nothing to be done.  Stuck in traffic, I knew this was still the quickest way to get to the airport.  I think I might have even passed Parliament on the way.

Anyway, my GPS was all wrong, trying to take me to the wrong terminal, and I got to airport at 8:50 AM, already having checked in through my phone at a red light.  I was good on time, and I made my way through the airport, opting not to stop for more cigars or liquor at duty-free.  I was short on time, and I didn’t want to risk anything.  An hour later, I was asleep in my seat, awaiting take-off.  I slept some more and then woke up around 8 AM New York time.  I wrote my Philosophy Short Writing Assignment and then proceeded to write this entry.  I still have three hours on my battery and two hours up in the air, so I suppose that I will close and write some proposals.


New York, New York


There is a funny thing about the way you remember things.  Emotions and worries are fleeting, but memories last forever.  Whenever I look back on a trip, whatever stress I felt in executing the trip is always gone by the time I get back to New York.  That was how I felt walking through Grand Central this afternoon.  My stress was gone.  I had enough cigars to last me the rest of the year.  I was just happy.  I thought back fondly how wonderful of a trip it was.  I didn’t worry about my future.  About a week ago, I was struck by a singular thought.  It is funny how you can be struck by such a thought that sticks with you and forces its way into your life.  Descartes would call it a “natural light,” a thought that comes from no apparent source, and he uses that as the means by which he builds his epistemological foundations.

My philosophy is not about epistemology.  It is about happiness.  Six months ago, I was struck by one of those singular thoughts, and it was a thought that changed my life.  A week ago, the thought was, “Maybe if I stopped dwelling on the past and worrying about the future, I would start to enjoy the present more.”  I spent most of this trip doing both.  By the time I got back to New York, I started acting on that thought.  I decided to live in the present, to enjoy life as it comes, rather than to regret what could have been or worry about could become.  Granted, that is a dangerous path, and I am not about to devolve into a hedonist, but that doesn’t mean I cannot simply “seize the day.”  Once I adapted that mindset, I looked back on my trip with a different view, and I realized that it was a great trip.

Usually with Global Entry, they just wave you right through, but the officer had some questions for me this time.  “What did you bring back from?”  That is not a typo.  He continued, “Any food, alcohol, cigarettes?”  I didn’t have any.  He waved me through.  Reader, if you travel internationally and do not have Global Entry, get it.  It will save you at least 30 minutes every time you fly internationally.  The line was so long, and I was able to walk past the entire line.  It is amazing.  Not wanting to shell out for a cab, I took the bus back to Grand Central.  There was traffic, but I didn’t care.  Just like the last time I took the bus, I got the back two rows to myself, put the seat in front of me down, and used that seat back as a foot rest.  It was as comfortable as any cab, and I worked pretty much the whole bus ride.  There were outlets, too, which cabs don’t have.

I first stopped at the cigar store, and I knew that Jimmy would be back, too, having been in Toulouse, less than two hundred kilometers away from me.  He brought back even more cigars than, and his uncle was shipping him another 200.  We would be doing a lot of trading tomorrow.  Charles asked for his gift, and I produced it from my bag.  I then went to the office where everyone was eagerly awaiting their gifts.  I was right, it was much better handpicking the gifts for a few people than buying the random bag of crap.

It was a productive day at the office, and realized that I had not eaten since 1 AM New York time.  I had a little bit ice cream, blueberries, and two quest bars.  At 6 PM, I made my burrito and headed to the cigar store, where I opted for a My Father instead of a Cuban.  I biked home and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can pass out.  It’s like 2 AM in Barcelona right now.  Next stop: Salt Lake City and Idaho to get that last state of the Lower 48.

No comments:

Post a Comment