Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, September 4, 2015

The Royal Route - Day 0 - A Familiar Departure

“The Royal Route”


9/4/15, “A Familiar Departure”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York


Six months ago, in this very concourse, waiting to take this very flight, I wrote about how much had changed in my life in the two years since I had previously taken this flight.  On the surface, almost nothing since I wrote from here six months ago.  However, inside, everything has changed.  I was a broken wreck back then, on the verge of collapse.  I will not detail what has changed, as I have already written more than enough on those changes.  I am happy with my life right now, very happy, and that is a good thing.

I will not be going anywhere near exotic as Iran, one of the many destinations I have visited from this terminal, nor will it be as epic as an adventure as my World War I trip to Yugoslavia, Austria-Hungary, and Turkey.  No, this will be relatively tame by comparison.  I will soon board the familiar Aeromexico flight 401, for the third time now.  What will be different is that I will connect to Guadalajara once I land in Mexico City, and my regular tour guide, Enrique, will be meeting me there.  Just as this is my third time aboard AM 401, this is my third time with Enrique.  The previous trips I mentioned, we have based out of Mexico City, returning there each night, with Enrique returning to his hotel room.

This time, we are doing something different.  We will be overnighting in a different city each night, rooming together, making our way back to Guadalajara on Monday, whence I will fly home at night.  The nice thing about this flight is that the flight is so late that I have time to pack and get ready after work before I head to the airport.

Day 0 was another familiar experience.  One of my friends had slept over, as we went to the midnight release of the Star Wars toys for the new movie, not getting home until 2 AM.  He was gone before I woke up, and I got to work on time.  We were let out at 3:30 PM, but I had wound up staying until 5 PM, finishing up some last minute stuff.



I had my pre-departure lunch from Hop Won and got my beard sheared off before heading to the cigar store for an Avo.  I figured that I didn’t want to come back through US border control from Mexico with a big thick beard.  After work, I headed to cigar to finish my Avo, followed by a new cigar, La Imperiosa.  (Technically these cigars do not count towards my Day 0 cigars, as I went home to change before departing.  The trip didn’t begin until I put on my travelling suit.)  My friend and I went to CPK for dinner, and I then went to pick my suit and laundry, telling him I’d meet him back at my place.  When I got back, I lit up a new OpusX, packed, showered, finished shaving, and got dressed.  I then got a taxi and headed to the airport.

It was such a familiar process once I got to the airport, having taken this very flight twice before.  When I got to security, the machine detected something in that exact same spot on my leg it always does, just like it does every time I where my freshly pressed suit.  I laughed about with the TSA officer as he perfunctorily patted my leg.  Freshly shaved and showered in my suit, I probably looked a lot less suspicious than I would have with my thick beard.  It’s a good thing I shaved.  I then headed to the gate, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get something to eat or drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment