Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Revolutionary Road - Day 1 - Coastal Connecticut

“Revolutionary Road: The Experience”

9/26/15, “Coastal Connecticut”
Mystic, Connecticut

There are trips that are designed around seeing a specific site (e.g., Burj Khalifa, the Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Stadium), while other trips are designed around going somewhere and seeing what there is to see along the way.  This trip is the latter.  After having such an enjoyable time travelling to Nearby New Jersey and Exciting Delaware last month, we decided to make this trip to Coastal Connecticut and Revolutionary Rhode Island.  The leaves are changing, and there were iconic restauarants and famous historic sites to see, along with the Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route, which we will be driving tomorrow from Newport to New York.

We all got a late start this morning, so we didn’t meet at the car rental place until almost 10 AM.  After a bit of delay getting breakfast, it was 10:30 AM before we were on the road.  The distance to our hotel was only three hours, and it was ten hours before dark, so time was hardly a factor.  It was just an issue of how we wanted to spend the balance of those seven (or more, actually, since we merely had to stop sightseeing at dark, not be at the hotel) hours.

I had come up with a list of National Historic Landmarks along the way, the coastal route today, the revolutionary route tomorrow.  Most of them were in New Haven, along with Connecticut’s winner for “most iconic restaurant.”  I lit up the Davidoff Escurio and put on Red.  We were soon at the famous, historic home of Stephen Tyng Mather, the first Director of the National Park Service.  For all the National Parks I have seen, it was quite impressive to be at his boyhood home.  We then headed straight to New Haven.

I coyly told my friends that we were going to an iconic restaurant, where a famous sandwich was invented.  Before long, we parked outside of Louis’s Lunch.  We walked in, and it was cramped and crowded.  My friend was confused, not seeing a proper menu.  I pointed to the sign that said hamburgers were served with or without cheese, optional toppings of onions and tomatoes.  She said that she thought I said a famous sandwich was invented there.  I offered that a hamburger is a type of sandwich.  It was at that moment that she realized I had brought her to the place the hamburger was invented.

I got a bag of chips and a diet birch beer to go with my burger, on which I chose to have only onions.  The burger were not particular good, and they were very small, but that didn’t matter.  What mattered was that this was the original.  That, a hundred years ago, someone decided to put some chopped meat between two slices of toast.  Now, you can go to a supermarket and buy bread specifically designed to hold the chopped meat.

Yale was not too far away, so we left the car.  There were five National Historic Landmarks within a one-mile walk, so we went to each one in turn, almost a repeat of our tour of Princeton’s National Historic Landmarks last month.  We started with the oldest building on campus, Connecticut Hall, which took a bit of an effort to find.



I lit up a Churchill, and we were on our way, cutting across the New Haven Green, another National Historic Landmark, the main town square.  It was then obvious we were in town and no longer on campus.  The next three sites to see were homes of former Yale notables.





We headed down Trumbull Street, which housed two of the homes.  The first home belonged to Lafayette Mendel, who discovered Vitamins A and B, nothing to sneeze at, now a law office.  We headed to the other end of Trumbull Street.




As we walked, we noticed with shock that almost every building on the street was now type of professional office, mostly law offices.  We got to the home of Russell Henry Chittenden, who was considered the “Father of American Biochemistry.”  It was a law office.  Now it’s abandoned.




I looked up the remaining sites and realized that another site was nearby, the former home of James Dwight Dana, an eminent geology professor.  There were two sites left in New Haven, but we needed to get the car.  Besides, my cigar was almost done.  It was less than a mile back to the car, so we made our way.




My friends needed water, and, when they stopped, I saw a cigar lounge, so I stopped there to get some cigars and a whiskey.  They had a special edition Connecticut cigar, one of my favorite brands.  That doesn’t mean the cigar was only sold in Connecticut.  It means that it used Connecticut tobacco for the wrapper.  Reader, you know me well enough to know that I was incapable of not buying that.  I lit that up, the brand was My Father, and waited in the lounge for my friends.

We headed back to the car and put the cemetery in the GPS.  Grove Street Cemetery housed such luminaries as Eli Whitney, Noah Webster, and Roger Sherman.  We got there just as it was closing and raced to find Roger Sherman’s grave, finding it with some difficulty.





The last NHL in New Haven was the Connecticut Agriculture Experiment Station, where Vitamin A was first created.  We got there in due time, but there was nothing to see, so we just took a few ceremonial pictures.  That left the oldest house in Connecticut, the Henry Whitfield House, as our next destination, but it was about 20 minutes away, and my cigar would not last that long.


I had misremembered the itinerary I put together and forgotten that the last NHL of the day was west of Mystic, which meant we had two sites before Mystic, instead of one.  If I had remembered, I would have lit up a cigar at the first site and been done with it before we got to Mystic.  Instead, I lit up my smallest cigar, a Jericho Hill, thinking I’d finish it before we got to Mystic.  The stone house formerly belonging to Reverend Whitfield was clearly old.  It looked like it was 350 years old, no doubt.  As we were preparing to leave, all starving at that point, I realized my mistake. 

Worse, the cigar would not last until the next site, since I had chosen such a small cigar.  I got a snack and lit up my second smallest cigar, a Camacho, as we drove to New London, where Eugene O’Neil’s Summer House was.  It was a nice house, but we were all starving, the hamburgers having been nowhere near satisfying.  Dinner was to be at Mystic Pizza, and we joked if we’d each eat a whole pie.  I took some ceremonial pictures and got back in the car.

We headed straight to Mystic.  Like Louis’s Lunch the quality of the food was not why we were going.  It’s famous and iconic status was the reason.  I love that movie.  We couldn’t not go.  I ordered a large house special and a Diet Coke for myself.  My friends got a large cheese to share.





The pizza was very disappointing.  There are so many places within a short walk of my apartment in New York that have better pizza.  The crust couldn’t even hold all the toppings of the house special.  I was so disappointed.  In the end, I wound up forgoing the crust and just eating the toppings with a knife and fork.  That was really good.  I also got a t-shirt, of course.  We went back to the car to get supplies and then headed to the waterfront, where we found a bench and I lit up my Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can make our way to Newport.  Mystic is such a lovely town, and I would have been happy spending a whole weekend here, but, alas, we are only spending two hours here.


Newport, Rhode Island

Well, I don’t really have much more to write, but I picked this hotel, instead of getting a cheaper hotel in Warwick or Jamestown or Bristol, so that I could write an entry with a Newark dateline, so, by golly, I’m writing something, and I’m going to keep writing until my Chinese food comes, or until I have a respectable entry.  Oh right, that Chinese food.  It’s here.  I need to pause.


Okay, so, it’s here, so I’ll just quickly wrap up.  As we were sitting at Mystic Pizza, starving, we joked about our adventures with Chinese food in Dover last time and said that we needed to get Chinese food.  Well, after eating a whole pizza that seemed less likely.  After stopping at two places for ice cream (for comparison purposes, of course), it seemed like it was going to happen.  The cookie I ate in the car pretty much cancelled out any possibility of Chinese food.  However, in the end, I ordered it because I couldn’t not do it.

Okay, so after we closed, we stopped for ice cream, then went to the spice shop, then went to another ice cream place, then back to the car.  We drove the first half of the drive almost entirely in silence, me left to my thoughts, my friends to their electronic devices.  The second half was spent discussing a news item, some police action in Long Island.  Before long, we got to the hotel, checked in, headed to the room, and I ordered my Chinese food.  I then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can enjoy my Chinese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment