Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Royal Route - Day 2 - More Old Churches

9/6/15, “More Old Churches”

Quaretaro, Quaretaro, Mexico

A couple of weeks ago, when I was in Cuba, I sat down in the famous, historic city of Trinidad, much as I am now, wearing the exact same outfit, same shirt even, and wrote an entry called “Old Churches.”  The title of the entry referred to the famous, historic cities we were visiting that day and their famous, historic churches.  Today is a very a similar day, hence the title of today’s entry.  We will be visiting four famous, historic cities today, each with their own famous, historic churches.  Four plaques and four keychains is the goal for today.  I am now halfway there.

Breakfast was extremely disappointing, but I got enough to fill me up, and the souvenir shop was open by the time I was done eating, so I packed, dressed, and got my keychain before lighting up my Montecristo Open Eagle.  I then started to take my ceremonial pictures with the plaque and the church.  Reader, this was Sunday morning, so there was beautiful music playing from the church.  I stopped to listen for a few minutes before heading back to the van.

It was a long and winding mountain roud that left me feeling quite nauseated for the three hours we drove.  I spent most of the drive futzing with my phone, trying to get my photos to upload with the spotty cell service in the mountains.  I was far too nauseated for a cigar, but we soon made it to the famous, historic city of Quaretaro, also called Santiago de Quaretaro.  Enrique parked the car and I found the tourist stand.

I found out where the inscription photo was, along with the main plaza, where I assumed the plaque to be.  Everything was a short walk apart, so we headed to the plaza, Plaza de la Independica.  Enrique asked a police officer where the plaque was, and he pointed it out to us, on a stand outside the tourist office, right next to the plaza.  I was starving, so we went to get lunch first.  I ordered tacos and a quesadilla.  While the fillings were delicious, the shell left much to be desired, and, eventually, I just emptied them out and ate it with a fork.

After lunch, I lit up a Partagas, and we headed to the plaque, where I took my ceremonial pictures.  We then walked towards Templo de Santa Clara, where the inscription photo was taken, picking up a keychain on the way.  I also saw a Royal Route (Camino Real de Tierra Adentro) plaque.  I recreated the inscription photo and asked Enrique to meet me here in thirty minutes.  I found a nice place to sit with a good view of the church, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can get back on the road.


Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico


Twilight comes to an end over the famous, historic city of Guanajuato, and, I have no less than two famous, historic churches in view as I smoke my favorite pipe on my hotel’s terrace.  It has been an epic day of sightseeing, visiting the famous, historic churches in no less than four famous, historic towns.  It was just one of those days where everything went right, and we somehow managed to get to our hotel at 7:30 PM, unlike 1 AM like last night.  Guanajuato is a city unlike any I have ever seen, or so I had thought when we first got here.  It is city that has been built up for over five hundred years, the old city buried underneath newer ones.  I then remembered that I had been to a similar city: Akko/Acre in Israel.  This is more impressive, though.  Much more impressive.

After I closed in Queretaro, I got my Sunday paper, remembering for once, and I soon found Enrique.  We made our way to San Miguel de Allende, which was a protective town along the Royal Route.  Enrique took me to the vista where the viewpoint picture was taken, and I lit up a Cohiba, figuring this would be a quick site, just the inscription photo, a keychain, and a plaque, and the Cohiba was my smallest cigar.  I miscalculated, severely.  I took my ceremonial pictures and bought a keychain before we headed down to the plaza where the plaque should have been.  Of course, no plaque.  My new friend told me the plaque was actually in the associated site, the Sanctuary of Jesus Nazareno de Atotonilco.

It was 20 klicks away, and there was bad traffic getting out of town.  To add to that, Enrique wanted to stop for gas.  I did not think I had enough cigar left to get the plaque.  We were soon at the sanctuary, and I got to the plaque before the cigar was finished.  I took my ceremonial pictures and got a sandwich and a taco filled with pork.  I gave her a banknote, and I was shocked how much change I got back.  This was a full meal, and it cost less than a medium coffee (not latte, coffee) at Starbucks.  Gotta love the new strong dollar.  Across the board, the dollar has gained 30-40% against global currencies.  For someone who travels internationally as much as I do, it is a very good thing.

It was now 5 PM, and it was over an hour to Guanajuato.  I was concerned the souvenir shops would close at 6 PM.  Enrique ensured me they’d stay open late.  I lit up an Aroma de Cuba, and we made our way to the city.  We got to the viewpoint, where the inscription photos was clearly taken, and it was swarming with vendors and tourists.  Excelente!  I lit up a Churchill and took my ceremonial pictures before getting my keychain and t-shirt.  We then headed down into the city, through the tunnels, to La Plaza de Paz, where my new friend told me the plaque would be.

My phone was almost dead, so I knew I’d be limited how many photos I could take.  There was also the Baroque church nearby called Compañia, which was named in the short description on the inscription page.  I found my plaque, took my ceremonial pictures, and then headed to the Baroque church, which was under restoration.  There was a joke that was too good not to make.  One of the funniest lines from “Beauty and the Beast” is a joke that Cogsworth makes about the castle.  “If it’s not Baroque, don’t fix it.”  Well, here I was standing next to a Baroque church that was in the process of being fixed.  I then headed back to the van, and we went to the hotel.

Enrique went to park the car, and I checked in.  I got settled to the hotel, my phone slowly dying and the charger not working.  Enrique soon came back and lent me his charger.  I then went up to the terrace, where I found a nice view of the city, lit up my Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry.  By the time my phone got back up to 6% (the minimum needed to take a picture), it was dark out, but the famous, historic churches were lit up.  I will now close so that I can publish and head out to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment