Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Royal Route - Day 4 - The Return Journey

9/8/15, “The Return Journey”

En route, NYC Taxi 7C68


I fucked up.  I fucked up big time.  However, if getting to work 40 minutes later was the extent of the repercussions from this trip, which otherwise went perfectly, it’s not that big of a deal.  I can just as easily work 40 minutes later.  After I closed at Benito Juarez (still calling it that), I meanedered through to security.  I put my bag through the x-ray machine and walked through the metal detector, like always.  Neither set off any alarm, yet they still patted me down and searched my bag.  I guess they wanted to look busy at an otherwise empty security checkpoint.

It was over an hour before boarding, and my electronics were slowly dying, since I had trip-planned and budgeted like predicted.  When I finally got on the plane, I learned to my dismay I was seated in between two guys, neither of them particularly small, one taller than I.  At least we had the exit row.  I had trouble falling asleep, but they soon brought food and drinks.  A ham and cheese croissant, pudding, and Diet Coke, yes that would do well.  Between the sugar and caffeine crash, I would soon pass out.  That was exactly what happened, and I woke up as we were making our descent.  It took a long time for my bag to come out, and, when it did, I almost didn’t recognize it, as it had been wrapped in a plastic bag.  I then headed to Customs, and was too groggy to answer his questions properly, but he soon welcomed me home with no hassle.

It was now 8 AM.  Would I take the taxi or the bus?  I opted for the bus.  That was my big mistake.  The bus is supposed to come every half hour, and I feared I had missed the 8 AM bus, but I couldn’t justify spending the extra money on the taxi to save half an hour.  A bus came at like 8:20 AM, but he pointed behind him and told me to take the next bus.  Around 8:35 AM, I asked the lady, who had been on her cell phone the whole time, when the next bus was.  She said that the next bus wasn’t until 9 AM, and she didn’t know I was waiting for the bus, and I should have said something.  Well, maybe if she wasn’t in her cell phone, I would have said something.  I told her what the driver had said, and then a bus came, but it was full.  She said I’d have to wait half an hour.  No, if I took a 9:10 AM bus, I wouldn’t get to the office until close to 11 AM.  That wouldn’t do.

I’d have to bite the bullet and take the taxi, like I should have done 40 minutes earlier.  That was where I fucked up.  Well, I’ll be at the office before 10 AM, won’t be the end of the world.  I got in the taxi, where I proceeded to publish the rest of last night’s entry and write this one once we were en route, which I will now close, along with closing out the trip.  I have done enough reflections on the trip and on Mexico in general.  Next stop: Zimbabwe to live out my “wildest dreams” and see the biggest waterfall in the world, Victoria Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment