Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Orient - Day 7 - Winding Down

1/2/16, “Winding Down”

Aboard Asiana Airlines 712, En route TPE-ICN

This is a familiar view and a familiar experience, but it is the last time I will see it this trip.  This is the sixth intra-Asia flight I have taken (plus a ferry boat) in seven Days.  The Day I went to the Wall was the only Day that didn’t include being in transit like this.  It has been a very exhausting experience, even more so than my traditional method of doing eight or more hours a driving day, as was common during my New Year’s trips for 2012/2013 and 2013/2014.  The one last year, of course, consisted on being on boat for 10 Days.  That was relaxing.  I am exhausted.  Tomorrow, I will fly home, and I will be glad to be stateside again.

While I have no desire to return any of the regions in China (both PRC and ROC) I have visited, Taipei has been one of my favorite cities I have ever visited, certainly beating any other city I have visited in the Orient.  I love its tropical climate.  I even started to get used to the Coruscant-like atmosphere.  After I closed last night, I published my entry and passed out, on top of the bedspread, next to my computer, before I had a chance to publish photos.  It was after 3 AM when I finally went to sleep properly.

I woke up around 7:30 AM and planned to go back to sleep, but a call from my parents woke me up, and by the time we were done talking, I had trouble getting back to sleep.  They had made it to their new home in Florida for the next two months, and my father regaled with stories of my mother’s driving.  I will probably visit them the weekend of her birthday, which is, of course, the weekend of the Super Bowl, probably incorporating the Bahamas or Jamaica’s new WHS into the mix.

I meticulously calculated the timing of my morning.  I would need to be at the airport at 12:20 PM, which meant I needed to leave the hotel at 11:40 AM, which meant I needed to be back at the hotel at 11:20 AM, which meant I needed to leave Taipei 101 at 11 AM.  If I left the hotel at 9:30 AM, I would have an hour at the building, which should be just enough time.  I timed it down to the wire.  I did most of my packing around 9 AM, and then I had to pick between breakfast and a shower.  I didn’t have much of an appetite, and I was overdue for a shower.  I opted for the latter.  I then took a taxi to Taipei 101.

It was a very impressive building, and I remember when it used to be the tallest building in the world, from 2004 and 2010.  I never expected to visit it.  I took some ceremonial pictures outside, and it was 10:15 AM by the time I got to the ticket counter.  There was a huge line to go up.  Fortunately they had a priority pass, which was pricy, but worth it.  The elevator to go 1300 feet from the 5th Floor to the 89th Floor took, I shit you not, under a minute.  I was sending my friend a text.  I started the text as I got onto the elevator.  It was nothing special, just a standard 160-character text about SW’s year-end box office performance, which was, again, I shit you not, less than 1/20th of one percent of that for Jurassic World, and it did it in two weeks, not five months.  That’s what they call a photo finish, and actual numbers might be higher than preliminary estimates.  Anyway, I was still writing the text when we got to the 89th Floor, that’s how fast it was.  Returning to the Coruscant metaphor, I felt like I was in a turbolift for sure.



There was a great view from the deck and there was an outdoor deck a floor up, but the view was obscured by the fog.  I took some pictures and realized that Taipei was my favorite city of the trip so far.  I got some souvenirs from the gift shop, along with a cappuccino.  It was 10:45 AM at this point, right on target.  The elevator down was on the floor below, and here was the annoying part.  The entire floor, which had to be circumnavigated, consisted of a huge selection of coral gemstones for sale.  It was crowded, and it was a long walk.  I didn’t have time for that.  There was also a long line at the elevator, but my priority pass got me to the front.  It was 11 AM when I got downstairs, and everything else went right on schedule, getting me to the airport by 12:45 PM.

I went through security and emigration procedures and picked some cigars at duty-free.  I used the last of my Taiwanese money to get a new charger cord and some food.  Oh, right, the charger cords had stopped working, and I was in a total panic.  They both stopped working, albeit in different ways, and I was afraid it was a problem with my phone.  I got a fancy new one, which was overpriced, but would be worth it if it works.  I also got some more dumplings, just like the ones I had last night, along with a Diet Coke.  I headed to the gate, and we soon boarded.  After we took off, I grabbed my laptop and sat back down in my seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as lunch has been served.


Seoul, Korea (Gangnam)


Winding down, that is the title of this entry, and that is what the 2013 Christmas pipe has come to represent for the past three years now, my trip winding down.  In 2014, I smoked it Kas, Turkey after I had seen the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus before my last day in Turkey.  In 2015, I smoked it on the Drake Passage, as we began to make our way back to Ushuaia.  Now, I am smoking in it the Gangnam district of Seoul, made famous from the PSY music video “Gangnam Style,” before my one last day of sightseeing in Korea.

All that matters is the Olympic Stadium and the flag pin.  The legislature and the WHS in Seoul will be nice bonuses, and I even know where to find the souvenirs, but the Olympic Stadium, that’s why I’m here instead of better having paced my time in China (PRC and ROC).  It is a short walk away, and it will be the first thing I do tomorrow morning.  I do not anticipate it being easy, but I will do my best to find my way in, even if I have to sneak in again.

There is not much to report from today other than a great choice of a restaurant and a terrible choice of a hotel, all of which was in this famous Gangnam district.  After we landed, there was quite an ordeal to get to the arrivals hall and a big line for border control.  It could have been half an hour after we deplaned before I was at the baggage carrousel.  My bag came soon after that, and I got some cash at the ATM and took a taxi.  It would be a very long and expensive ride.

I asked if I could smoke and was shocked to learn that I could.  I lit up my Cohiba from the duty-free shop.  The driver had no idea where my hotel was, even with the address.  Eventually he figured it out.  He tried to loop around the block when we got there, but he wound up on the wrong block with the wrong direction to the hotel.  What did he do?  Well, he, I shit you not, drove on the sidewalk the ten or so meters to the hotel.  The hotel had a 2.7 guest rating, even though it was listed as 4-star hotel.  Why would that be?  The price was right, but I sound found out how disappointing it was.

The staff at the front desk was not very knowledgeable.  I had specifically chosen this hotel for its proximity to the Olympic Stadium (about a klick away).  I asked how to get there.  They said I need to take the subway, as it was too far to walk.  What the fuck?  It would be a thirty minute walk.  How is that possible?  She showed me the map.  Either people in Asia walk very slowly, or the hotel staff in these hotels simply have no idea about distances.  She told me how to get there, but she said she thought it would not be open unless there was an event.  Open and accessible are two very different things.  If there’s a way in, I will find it.

I then asked about the restaurant.  It was the best restaurant in the area.  They never heard of it.  I looked it up online from my hotel.  It was definitely the right choice.  I headed up to the room and was shocked how small it was, maybe half the size of my apartment, or less, but they managed to utilize every square foot in innovative ways I had never seen before.  The door for the bathroom doubled as the closet door depending on you slid it, stuff like that.  There was snack bar built into the desk, which was right alongside the windowsill.  That was good, since I was starving.

One thing that was weird was that the shower had a glass wall adjoining the bad with blinds, blinds that were controlled from the bedroom side.  What was the point of that?  If the showerer wanted privacy, he or she would be entirely at the mercy of the person in the bedroom.  I settled in and closed my eyes for a bit before throwing on some casual clothes and heading down.


The first taxi had no idea where the restaurant was and refused to take me.  The second taxi managed to figure it out.   Reader, I had the name and address of the restaurant displayed on my phone, in Korean.  Why was this always so hard?  London and even New York taxi drivers truly put those here to shame.  We got to the restaurant, and I realized I might be underdressed in my t-shirt.  It was 8:45 PM, and they told me they had to close up by 10 PM.  Would that be enough time?  I certainly hoped so.  My readers are familiar with the fancy, multi-course prix fixe dinners of the finer restaurants, the four courses that really become seven.  I do not have to go into details.  All of it was delicious.  It was definitely one of the better meals of my life.  I ordered a plum wine as my drink, the only alcohol I have consumed all trip, other than on NYE.

They started with an assortment of amuse bouche, sort of like a miniaturized dinner, each item representing a different course of a typical meal.  Next came my appetizer, deep-fried octopus.  After that was the rice dish with sea urchin.  Next came the main course, a fusion fish dish.  I also opted to supplement it with their special filet mignon with black truffles, which was not worth the hefty price tag.  Perhaps the spiciness from the fish dish had dulled my taste buds to not properly being able to enjoy the truffles.  After that was the cleansing ginger sorbet.  For my dessert, it was green tea mousse and accoutrements, designed to resemble an Asian garden.  Then they offered me tea, and I asked for traditional Korean tea.  She had no idea what I meant.  She said one of the teas, a root tea, was from Korea.  It was anything but traditional.  I started to get frustrated with her.  That is one thing about this culture.  They are so afraid to admit they don’t understand.  Of course there is a language barrier.  Instead of pretending to understand, why not just say that you don’t understand?  She got someone who spoke better English, and he said they didn’t really have traditional tea.  I got a coffee.  Last came the petit fours.

While I finished my coffee, I asked to settle my bill, which came to be just as much as some of my Three-Star meals in Germany.  I wonder if this has any Michelin Stars.  Well, the New York branch of the restaurant has Two Stars, but I don’t think this (or any restaurant in Korea) has any Michelin Stars.  The waiter had called a taxi for me, and they told him where my hotel was, like with the address and everything.  It is the Hotel Peyto Samseong in the Gangnam District.  I was on my phone for the whole drive, looking up how the UN defined the different subregions of the world and which ones I’ve visited and still need to visit.  I think I’ve visited like 15 of the 23 regions or something.  I should have visited all of them by the time I’m 40.  He dropped me off, and I paid the fare.  Something didn’t look right.  No, no, no.  This was the Hotel Peyto Gangnam.  I tried chasing him down, but he wasn’t stopping.  I had to take another taxi to the right hotel.  It was 11 PM by the time I got there.

I was considering going to the night market, but it made no sense, since it was far away, and it was right next to the souvenir shopping.  It is open from like 10 AM to 5 AM, but the real experience is at night.  If I can’t sleep, I suppose I can go.  I rested my eyes until midnight.  I then got dressed and filled my pipe.  I headed out to the street, and I found a place to sit with a good view, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can back inside where it’s warm and publish this and some photos and get to sleep.  One day more.  Another day, another destiny on this never ending road to Complete.  I just need to the get inside the Olympic Stadium and make my flight home.  Everything else is a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment