Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Yucatan 2016: The Experience - Days 3, 4 - "Many Partings" and "The Return Journey"

1/18/15, “Many Partings”

Palenque, Chiapas, Mexico

Not long after I finish writing this entry, Roberto and I will part ways, and our trip has come full circle.  We are at a Mayan archaeological site not dissimilar from our first stop at Chichen Itza, and I am similarly writing my entry in view of the structure from the inscription photo.  It has been approximately 50 hours, but it feels as if we have been travelling together forever.  I will be back at my desk in about 20 hours, and back to my normal routines.  It has been a very enjoyable trip, and we have appeared to have done what Roberto initially thought unthinkable, visit all 6 sites in a three-day weekend.  After I finish this entry, I will leave Roberto in the town of Palenque and continue on the airport in Villahermosa, where I will connect once more at Benito Juarez.  That is familiar.  This trip, my first time in the tropical part of Mexico since I set out to see the world is unfamiliar, though not that dissimilar from some of my other trips to Central America.  In fact, a year ago today, I was in Belize.  A year from now, I will likely be in Haiti, which will be my last country to visit in North America.

There is not much to report since I closed in Escarcega last night.  Of course, we drank.  And smoked.  Roberto had his second cigar ever, a small H. Upmann, and a Destino Siglo for me, while we each swigged from our own half pint of rum.  Roberto thought that I might have been Cuban in a past life.  I offered instead maybe I used to be a pirate.  He liked that idea.  Meanwhile, I was messaging with my friends about different movie awards and the usual conversations.  I also played some various music from my laptop.

After the cigar, it was time to go bed.  There was just one small problem.  My phone was almost dead.  My laptop was almost dead.  We didn’t have enough outlets.  There was one outlet by the bed, which I needed for my sleep machine.  The only outlet I could use for my laptop was far from the bed, but Roberto needed it for his phone.  Once we got in the car in morning, I could charge everything, including the laptop, but I would need a decent charge on my phone in case I wanted to continue my conversations in the morning.  Well, I wound up charging my phone by the bed, while I was half asleep, until it got to a quarter charge, which I figured would last it until the morning.  Yes, that worked.

In the morning, we got ready and got in the car, where I was able to charge everything.  The album for today would be our final Taylor Swift album: Speak Now.  We were a little tight on time, but not too bad.  We stopped for gas by the highway, and there was a Burger King there, but it wouldn’t open until 9 AM.  We figured this would be our best chance for food, so we waited.  They only had lunch food.  Fine, that would do.  We got our food and hit the road.  The meal was quite good, and I lit up a Fuente afterwards.  We soon got to a border checkpoint to enter the state of Chiapas, which was far more extensive than any checkpoint we had seen so far.  I closed my eyes for a bit, and we were soon at Palenque.

Once we got there, we found the Plaque at the entrance and the Palace, which was featured in the inscription photo.  I lit up my Trinidad, my last one, and we took our ceremonial pictures.  Just as in Chichen Itza, Roberto wanted to explore some more, and I wanted to write my entry.  This time, we made sure we both were clear on where to meet.  I got my souvenirs and then headed to a bench in view of the Palace, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry.  I was soon told I couldn’t smoke, just like in Chichen Itza.  Roberto was back before long, and I will now close so that I can finish my cigar and begin the return journey.


Carlos Rovirosa Pérez International Airport, Tabasco, Mexico (VSA)

Ah, at last, the triumphant airport entry.  I am now smoking a well-deserved Opus X Angel’s Share.  Other than a little adversity with the raw sewage, the trip has been a perfect success.  We are already planning our next trip.  After I closed, I relit the cigar, and we drove to the town of Palenque.  I wanted to finish or almost finish my cigar before I left him, and I had plenty of time.  He had even more time.  We hung around until it was time for us to leave.  We then took some ceremonial pictures as we planned future trips together.  It was the parting of the ways.  Yes, my astute reader, the title of these two past entries are taken from Lord of the Rings.  Roberto wants to come to New York in May, and I told him I’d take him to Philly and Boston if he comes, along with showing him around New York.  In the fall, we will do another trip together in Mexico.

There are only a few trips left for me in Mexico, possibly as few as three, but five max.  One of them could just be Cabo, which I want to save for my last trip, when I say Mexico complete.  I like the idea of, having visited every WHS in Mexico without going to the beach, flying into Cabo, taking a picture at the Plaque, announcing “Mexico Complete,” and then spending the rest of the weekend on the beach, finally.  There are also 2 other WHS in Baja California Sur, which are very hard to access and not at all near Cabo, nor close to a big airport.  There are 4 WHS left in Central Mexico, including the new one by Mexico City and two by Oaxaca.  That is probably doable in a weekend, easily doable in a 3-day weekend or split as two weekends.  That leaves the two by the border with the US.  That was the one we were discussing.  I would fly into El Paso, go across the border to Juarez, and we’d drive to both of them in the weekend before I flew home.  I had originally been planning on doing it by renting a car out of Phoenix.  We will figure that out.

There are, I believe 33 WHS in Mexico.  I started trying to complete them less than three years ago, and I now only have 9 left.  I will be going to the Bahamas in a few weeks, just an overnight stay when I visit my parents in Florida.  I will also need to revisit Jamaica to see the Blue Mountains.  I want to do the DR and Haiti, each with their own WHS and capital, as a 3-day weekend.  Then I need to do a trip to PR and the VI next year.  Also, my mother and I will likely visit San Antonio in the fall.  I have three or four more trips to Canada, too.  That’s it.  That’s all that’s required for me to be able to make my Hawaii trip the trip that allows me to say, “North America Complete.”

This has been the most grinding of all my travel goals, and there has been so much adversity and near misses along the way.  I’m thinking of my adventures with Fernando in Central America, my solo trips to Panama and Costa Rica, each with their own scares.  I’m thinking of how we miraculously managed to do Cuba Complete, despite Ernesto’s constant doubts.  However, I’m also thinking of the trips where I was mopey and depressed and could barely enjoy myself, just going through the motions.  I’m thinking of Belize and Carlsbad.

However, those are far outweighed by the good times.  I’m thinking of all the relaxing evenings I spent in the Caribbean, whether it was that unforgettable night in Kingstown or just enjoying myself at the hotel in Basseterre, not worrying about anything.  I’m thinking of the last great summer road trip adventure I took with my mother last summer, along with my extension in the Canadian Prairie.  I’m thinking of the Alaska/Canada trip I took with my friend the year before that.  I’m thinking of all the relaxing times I had in Canada and its natural beauty, whether it was 24 hours of daylight or the Northern Lights.  Those were the good times, and they more than enough to forgive a mopey weekend in Belize or an even mopeyer day driving from Alburqurque to El Paso.

I have just under 20 months to complete my goals, so I am definitely entering the home stretch.  North America Complete is definitely within sight.  Outside of North America, there are only eight or nine trips I need to take to finish my goals.  There are two to South America, one of which will be in a month to Peru, the other one for the Olympics this summer.  There are four to Europe, all of which I intend to take this year, Antwerp, Greece, London, and Rome.  There is also one to Asia, to see Everest, a second one if I decide to go to Iraq.  That just leaves the trip to Australia at the end of this year.

That means, if everything goes according to plan, I won’t need to leave the continent in 2017.  Oh, wait, the Iceland/Greenland trip.  Technically that is to fulfill North America complete, so I forgot to list it earlier.  That will be my big summer trip next year, but I consider Iceland to be at least half in North America, and all of Greenland is in North America.  There are some other trips I am considering for 2017, if time and money allows, such as Angkor Wat or the Galapagos Islands or Svalbard and the North Pole.  However, none of those are required to fulfill my goals.  It will be an exciting 20 months, and exhausting, too, I suppose.

Anyway, after I left Roberto, I finished my conversation with my friend about sequels and remakes and then got on the road.  I had forgotten to download Les Miz to my phone after I rebooted it, and that is my traditional last drive music.  That didn’t stop me, however, from lighting up my Avo, the traditional last drive cigar, and put on Avril Lavigne’s “Let Go.”  I had plenty of time, and I made even better time than GPS predicted, even as I had to manage the checkpoints on my own with my mediocre Spanish.  As I mentioned, earlier, I had trouble spending money this trip, and I had way too many pesos left.

When I got to the gas station, not far from the airport, I still had five largish banknotes left, worth a little more than the banknotes you would usually get from an ATM machine in the States.  I did not want to come home with that much in pesos.   I used one for gas, and I figured I’d buy some snacks to take home to use the rest.  I got as many snacks as I could carry.  It only came out to one of those banknotes.  I even got a new charger and aux cord.  Reader, this was enough for a small Super Bowl party, and it cost about the price of a case of beer.  How was everything so cheap?  Well, you gotta love the weak peso.

I was soon at the airport, where I found Dollar, Avis, and Europcar, but no Hertz.  Hmm.  I kept circling around and getting conflicting answer.  It was three hours before my flight, so I had time, but this was annoying.  Eventually I figured it out, actually by chance, that I had to drop off the car in a special parking lot (I had asked the attendant where Hertz was, and it turned out to be that lot) and then bring the car inside.  That worked.  I dropped off the keys and went to check-in while they checked the car.  I still had plenty of time, and I was starving, so I got a sandwich at the Subway inside the airport.  It was half the price of what I would have expected to pay at the Subway a block from my apartment.  After I closed, I headed outside and lit up my Opus.  I sat down on the bench, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can finish my cigar and head to my gate.


Benito Juarez International Airport, Federal District, Mexico (MEX)


Well, isn’t that a familiar dateline!  In fact, other than “New York, New York,” it might be the most familiar one of all.  Other than my apartment or the cigar store, it might be the most familiar view for an entry.  This is the fourth time I have sat in this spot, with this view, and written an entry.  They have been four very different trips, but finding the familiar within the familiar, that’s what this Travelogue is about. The view is simple, but familiar, unlike the views from Kas, the Drake Passage, Jackson, or Alexandria, where I have previously smoked my 2013 Christmas Pipe.  There is no WHS that awaits me in the morning, just the rest of the return journey.  This will not be the last time I write from here, I don’t think.  I will write from here again at least once more, maybe two or three more times.

Each time I have written from here has been under different circumstances.  The first time, I fucked up, and didn’t check in before my entry, which led to me being denied boarding due to a late check-in.  The second time, I checked in first, and everything worked out right.  The third time was connecting back from Guadalajara, but I went through connections, which made leaving the airport a hassle.  This time, I went straight to the exit, and I got outside with no problem.  Actually, maybe that’s theme here.  These are in pairs, the first two times I was dropped off at the airport, the other two times I connect from another city.  Each pair, I messed something up the first time and learned better for the second time.

My previous entry was about the future.  This will be the reflective entry about the past, though there is not much left to write.  The first time I went to Mexico was a family trip to Cancun.  I made friends with a snorkeling instructor who had a dream of buying his own boat.  It was a small dream.  It is funny the things you remember from when your age was still in the single digits.  When I got home, I got a letter from Publisher’s Clearing House, one of those misleading letters that makes you think you won something.  Or maybe it was addressed to my parents, but they said I could have it.  My parents asked me what I would do with the money.  Among other things, I said I would buy my snorkeling instructor friend his boat.  My oldest friend, the same friend I went to Alaska with two summers ago, said it would be my parents’ money.  They agreed, I believe, if they won they’d by the snorkeling instructor his boat.  I remember my dad, after haggling, buying me a mariachi guitar, and maybe a sombrero.  I’m sure I still have it.  My brother just cared about going to the tiki bar where he could legally drink as a high school teenager and practice his Spanish while hitting on whoever caught his eye.  CFBS.  Always.

The next trip to Mexico came about 15 years later, though it’s hardly a trip to Mexico.  I was going to Los Angeles for a philosophy conference, and I figured I would, among other things, dip into Tijuana for an hour.  I went to the Casa de Habanos, where I got Mexican food and tequila delivered while I smoked my cigar.  I got another six cigars to bring back with me and had a box of Cohibas shipped to my office.  Thus begun the tradition of smoking a Cuban at every WHS and US National Park.  I was only supposed to be there for the weekend, but Hurricane Sandy turned that into a 7-day trip.  I was only supposed to visit 2 National Parks.  I wound up visiting 5 (or maybe 6), and I smoked a Cuban at each one.  That opened up the possibility of attempting to visit every US National Park as one of my goals.

The next trip was my first trip to Central Mexico, the first time I flew to Mexico on a plane by myself, the first trip with extensive driving, and my first trip with Enrique.  I wanted to do it all, an extensive trip to visit all the WHS in central Mexico.  That was not possible.  We had to omit the two in Oaxaca from that trip, but we saw everything else.  I also wanted to visit the Olympic Stadium and the Paricutin Volcano, a Natural Wonder of the World.  I couldn’t get inside the Olympic Stadium.  I would need to come back.  It was almost two years before I came back, timing it to coincide with a soccer match and the butterfly season so that I could also visit the Monarch Butterfly reserve WHS.  We threw in El Tajin for good measure, too, along with a picture in front of the legislative building.  I believe I even stayed at the same hotel as from the previous trip.  This time I booked Enrique privately, instead of through a tour group.

Enrique and I talked about another trip based out of Guadalajara.  He would meet me there, and we would attempt to visit all 8, I believe, World Heritage Sites in that region.  He thought it was impossible, but, with a little prodding, he agreed, though I’m not entirely sure he realized quite what I had in mind.  We did that six months later, and it was the first time I connected at Benito Juarez.  When we got there, he once more thought it was impossible.  More prodding, and he agreed to go through with it.  It was rough going, but it worked out in the end.  We then talked about going to the Yucatan in January.

Meanwhile, during that trip, I connected with Roberto, and he also expressed interest in doing the trip.  I knew I could not do it with both of them, and I decided it would be better to make the trip with Roberto instead of hiring Enrique to fly out to Cancun and work for me for three days as a tour guide.  I think I made the right choice.  That was this trip, as I have described, very different than the other trips, and the first time I have driven myself.  It has been a great trip, and I have had a lot of fun with Roberto.  We are both very much looking forward to our next trip together, whether it be to Boston or Chihuahua or Oaxaca.

There are 9 WHS left for me to visit in Mexico, and I have a feeling Roberto will accompany me to most of them.  I am now three-quarters of the way to saying “Mexico Complete.”  Once I finished the CA-4 trip in April 2014, I always knew that Mexico (and Cuba) would be the biggest impediment to attempting North America Complete.  When I finished Cuba, I saw the end in sight, and a week later, I did the Guadalajara trip, which brought me past the halfway point and made Mexico Complete seem obtainable.  This trip has brought me into the home stretch.

Anyway, after I closed, I headed through security, got a cappuccino, which I paired with some Oreos, and headed to the gate.  I tried to sleep on the plane, but I wound up reading the whole in-flight magazine instead.  I never read the whole thing, usually just skimming through it, always back to front, but this was actually an interesting issue.  I always collect the magazine.  I have a lot of them.  A lot.  We soon landed, and I stopped at the 7-11 to get a pizza and some soda, Diet Dr. Pepper. After that, I headed to my familiar spot, but, it was occupied.  NOOOOO!!!!!  There were two girls sitting there, but they soon got up.  I then sat down in my spot, where I lit up my 2013 Christmas Pipe and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can figure out how to spend the remainder of the three hours I have before I need to head to the gate.  I suppose I’ll spend most of it the same way I did last time: trip planning and budgeting.



1/19/16, “The Return Journey”
Aboard Aeromexico 400, En route MEX-JFK

This is now the third time I have flown home on AM 400.  It should have been four times, but I checked in too late the first time in May 2013 and was denied boarding.  I almost missed my flight again today?  Why?  I had a 6-hour layover, and my connecting flight was on-time.  How could I possibly have almost missed my flight?  Well, it was out of sheer stupidity, and it is a very interesting story.

After I closed, I went to get a donut and some coffee.  Somehow I wound up with three donuts.  I ate two of them before I headed back outside to my spot.  I then lit up an Undercrown and worked on adjusting my budgeting and finances.  I had come in under budget on this trip, and I was pleased to see my budget was back on track after having overspent a bit at the end of last year.  I adjusted my trip list and updated my checklists.  I then moved on to my next task.

I wanted to figure out my trip to Peru to see Machu Piccu, and it was starting to look untenable if I wanted to do it as 3-day weekend with an overnight within the sanctuary.  I would either need to do it as a 4-day trip, which was not the best option, or do the site as a day trip from Cuzco, which was an even worse option.  Also, I only had internet on my phone, and it was hard to figure out the train schedules and such like that.  I would need my laptop to have internet to do it properly.  It is in less than a month now, so I need to start booking everything right away.

This is the least accessible of the New7 sites.  Petra is a bit tricky, as it is a bit of a far distance from Tel Aviv, but you can get there by car easily enough, maybe like 5 hours to the border with Jordan, and another 2 hours to Petra.  Taj Mahal is a 3-hour drive from Delhi, a major international airport.  The Great Wall is a 2-hour taxi drive from Beijing, also a major international airport.  Christ the Redeemer and the Colosseum are easily accessible from cities with direct flights from Kennedy (Rio and Rome).

Now, reader, if those don’t exactly sound like around the corner, they are nothing compared to Machu Piccu.  Lima has a direct flight from Kennedy, and you can then take a connecting flight to Cuzco.  From Cuzco, you must proceed by bus and train to the station at Machu Piccu.  Then you have to walk quite a bit to the site.  It is not easy.  Not at all.  Even if my entire goal for the trip was to take a ceremonial picture in the sanctuary and turn around, it would be very difficult to do that in a 3-day weekend, impossible to do it in 2-day weekend.  That doesn’t even allow time in Lima or Cuzco.  I hope I can do it as a 4-day trip with overnights in Lima, Cuzco, and Machu Piccu.  I would like that.  Otherwise, I’ll see what I can do about making it a 3-day weekend.

I gave up on figuring it out tonight, and I was dead tired.  I was no longer enjoying my cigar.  I left it in the ashtray and had the third donut.  I then proceeded through security and was disappointed to find the shop that usually sells cigars no longer sold them.  I headed to my gate.  It was about 12:30 AM at this point.  The flight was scheduled for 1:30 AM, but it got delayed until 1:55 AM.  I plugged in my electronics and sat down.  How then did I almost miss my flight?

I fell asleep.  I woke up with a start.  Where was everyone?  Oh no.  Did I miss my flight?  I raced to the counter.  Was I too late?  No, but if I had woken up 15 minutes later, I might have missed it.  I was the last one to board, and there was no room for my bag in the overhead at this point.  That would mean I had to gate check it.  Fuck.  The flight would be delayed, and I would have to wait for my bag.  That would mean I would probably be late to work.  Ugh.  I was supposed to be half an hour early.  Anyway, I took out my souvenirs, as I did want to risk losing/breaking them, and most of my snacks, as I did not want to risk them crushing and getting all over my suitcase.

I got on the plane, and fortunately there was room above the overhead for the snacks, souvenirs, and my computer bag.  To make matters worse, since I had slept for a full REM cycle, I was not at all tired.  That meant that I would have trouble sleeping on the flight.  I sat down in my seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, starting it while we were at the gate, and writing it nonstop through taxi and takeoff, surprised that I wasn’t made to put away my laptop.  Meanwhile, I tried to pick out some music.  I tried a couple of pop artists who looked good, but I didn’t like either of their music.  In the end, I settled on Jamie Lawson, one of my best friend’s favorite new artists, someone about whose music we have shared dozens of texts in appreciation.  Anyway, I will now close so that I can try to get some sleep.


En route, NYC Taxi 8B16


Nothing new to report.  I fell asleep quickly enough and then was woken up by the announcement that we were making our descent.  My bag came out quicky, and I cleared Customs easily.  I then went to the taxi line, and I got in the taxi, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish Days 3 and 4 as a pair, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: Florida to visit my parents, whom I haven’t seen in close to a month, along with a brief shot over to The Bahamas to check that off.

No comments:

Post a Comment