Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, February 5, 2016

Florida 2016 - Day 0 - The Perfect Storm

“Florida 2016”


2/5/16, “The Perfect Storm”
Aboard DL 2065, En route LGA-PBI

Today marks two very important chronological features.  61 years ago today my mother was born, which is the reason I am flying to Florida today.  6 months from today is Opening Ceremonies of the Games of the XXXI Olympiad in Rio, which triggers certain changes in the consumer products I will purchase, in an attempt to support the Olympic Sponsors.  The Super Bowl is in two days.  All of this leads to a perfect storm.

See, reader, while Coca-Cola is the sponsor of the Olympics, Pepsi-Cola is the sponsor of the NFL.  Surely my reader will agree that I could not in good faith drink Coca-Cola products during the Super Bowl, yes?  Now, my reader should understand that, once that 6-month window begins, I will not purchase products from direct competitors of the Olympic Sponsors, nor will I consume products that have been purchased after the 6-month window began.  The 6-month window would begin approximately 50 hours before the Super Bowl.  What then would I drink during the Super Bowl?

Fortunately unopened soda bottles stay good for more than 50 hours after purchase, and the solution was simple.  My mother, in Florida, would purchase three bottles of Pepsi-Cola products for us to drink during the Super Bowl.  She would have to purchase it before the 6-month window began.  I looked up when the Opening Ceremony would begin and did the time zone conversion.  She would need to purchase the soda by 5 PM today.  I sent her an email to that effect yesterday morning.  She would buy two bottles of caffeinated diet soda and one bottle of caffeine free.  There would be plenty of soda for all of us to drink during the game.  It was going to be perfect.   I had found a solution to this quagmire.

When I left for the airport around 4:30 PM today, I attempted to call my parents to confirm the soda had been purchased.  Neither of them picked up.  I emailed my mother, asking her to confirm that she had purchased the soda by 6 PM [sic].  No response.  My flight was at 6:36 PM.  I had eaten lunch (not my traditional pre-departure Hop Won) around 2 PM, and I left work a little after 4 PM, after a very stressful day of rushing to meet a bunch of deadlines that all came together at the last minute.  There were multiple items that needed to go out today, all of which I was unable to prepare prior to today.  It was the perfect storm.

I got almost everything out that needed to go out, but the regular day-to-day stuff had to suffer, putting me a full day behind on my every day stuff.  I was in a very high stress state for almost the entire day.  I was relieved to finally leave the office in time to finish my cigar before I had to catch a taxi to the airport.  It was 5 PM by the time I got to the airport.  The flight was at 6:36 PM.  I figured I’d breeze through security, get something to eat, finish up some work stuff that I had to put aside, and have plenty of time to make my flight.  Right?

Wrong!  The line for security was atrocious, and my Delta Silver status apparently is not enough to use the Priority Lane.  You need to be Delta Gold.  The line would take close to an hour I figured.  It would be enough to make my flight, I hoped, but not enough time to get something to eat.  I was starving.  I got the call from my father, saying they were at Publix getting the soda.  Okay, fine.  It was last minute, but it would be purchased in time, or so I thought.  My mother then asked if I wanted her to pick up Burger King.  I explained that it was subject to the same embargo as the Pepsi-Cola products.  If she could purchase it by 6 PM, I could eat it later.  I emailed her my order.

Something didn’t seem right.  Was 6 PM really the deadline?  I checked the initial email.  It said 5 PM.  Was I wrong then, or was I wrong now?  The deadline was, in fact, 5 PM, with time zone differences and everything.  I called my mother back.  Reader, have you been following along?  Have you been paying attention to all the details and timelines?  Okay.  I let her know that the deadline was 5 PM and it had already passed and that she should not buy the soda or get the Burger King.

What did she say?  Did she apologize for messing up?  Did she acknowledge her mistake?  No.  Instead she blamed me.  She responded, “But you said it was 6 PM.”  Reader, there was no way that was possible.  Recall that my email was sent after 4:30 PM, asking her to CONFIRM that she had purchased the soda.  She did not even acknowledge that email until after 5 PM.  If I had never sent that email, she would have still purchased the soda after 5 PM, and it would have been too late to avoid the embargo.  It was not as if I sent the email at noon, and she emailed me immediately afterwards, saying, “Okay, I’ll go later this afternoon.”  She was already in the store, past 5 PM, when she saw the email.  Yet, she tried to blame me for it.

I was furious.  I was furious about that.  I was furious about having to wait in the long line at security.  I was starving.  It was the perfect storm.  There was only one solution to this problem, and it was not a good one.  There is one beverage company that is a sponsor of both the US Olympic Committee and the NFL: Budweiser.  Now, beer and football go together very well.  However, I do not want to spend an entire football game drinking nothing but Budweiser.  I would have liked to have been able to have a soft drink during the game.  That was rendered impossible.  I was not particularly angry at my mother for screwing up, that happens all the time.  I was angry at her for not being sympathetic to my plight, for trying to blame me for it, for refusing to take responsibility for her mistake.

My father asked if there was any flexibility.  There was none.  This was the only loophole, and it was no longer available due to my mother’s mistake.  My mother told me to “move on,” which was just about the worst thing she could have said.  She has known me for 28 years, been with me for eight Olympic cycles now.  She knows how I get about the Olympics.  She knows my rules.  She knows how inflexible I am about them.  She knows that I cannot just “move on.”  (Would that it were so simple.)  She said the exact wrong thing to say.

I had cleared security, but I had lost my appetite, I was that infuriated about this.  I figured I would regain my appetite by the time I got to my gate, but there were no fast options for food.  That was ridiculous.  This is an airport, and yet they focus on food places that have to cook individual orders.  I had no time for that.  I knew that only food could lighten my spirits, and I resigned myself to not being able to eat for another hour.  It was the perfect storm.

When I finally got on the plane, things started to get better, for a while, at least.  I had gotten an exit row seat, and the middle seat was empty.  Perf.  I was able to put both my bags up top, too.  Perf.  Finally, the beverage service came.  They only had snack boxes.  No sandwiches, no wraps.  This was not dinner.  This was a snack.  Fortunately, it was better than the cookies and goldfish I was forced to eat for dinner last time en route to Cancun.  However, last time, I was in a very chatty mood to befriend my seatmate.  Today, I was just infuriated about the soda incident and in no mood to talk to anyone.  I got the usual snack box I get, along with Pringles and Coke Zero.

The highlight of the snack box is the cheese spread and salami slices, which I put on the crackers.  There were 14 salami slices, so I painstakingly made 7 tiny sandwiches (intending to make 7 more later).  As I ate them, my spirits started to lift.  Then, a slight jerk.  Two of the fell on the floor.  Back to being mopey.  By the time I finished the rest of them (along with the other 7), my spirits were back to a neutral state.  I got my cord to charge my phone and sat back down in my seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.


West Palm Beach, Florida



Reader, recall that about finding the familiar within the unfamiliar and experiencing the unfamiliar within the familiar?  It was back the moment I stepped outside at PBI Airport.  I had probably arrived at the airport more times in my life than I had at any other airport outside of the New York area.  All the times I flew down to visit my grandmother for Passover.  However, lately, I have been opting to fly into MIA or FLL for these trips due to convenience with international options and car rental.  It had been quite some time since I was at PBI, but it all came rushing back to me the moment I set foot outside.  It was familiar once more.

My parents were circling and would soon be back around.  However, not having seen them in six weeks now, that was almost unfamiliar.  Dare I say I even missed them?  Let’s not go that far, but it was certainly weird seeing them for the first time in six weeks.  It was, I’m pretty sure, the longest we had ever gone without seeing each other.  We talked about this month’s big three topics as we drove: Primaries, Oscars, and the Super Bowl.  I’m rooting for Trump, Brooklyn, and the Broncos.  We stopped at McDonald’s for some food.  Desperately craving some solid protein, I opted for a double cheeseburger, along with some other stuff.

My dad asked if I had the Oscars figured out.  I effortlessly rattled out my Oscar predictions.   I have every category memorized, each frontrunner and most second-place contenders, as well.  We got to their condominium complex, and I was shocked how friendly everyone was in the elevator, exchanging greetings with them.  When we got off at their floor, I asked if they knew all of their neighbors.  They said they didn’t know any of them.  I was shocked!  Why were they exchanging friendly greetings then?  I have lived in the same building for close to a decade now, and I do not know a single one of my neighbors.  The closest I ever come to exchanging greetings is a noncommittal nod or thanks as we hold the front door for each other and a grunt as we make room to pass each other by the stairwell.  That’s the way I like it.  I questioned the sanity of the inhabitants of this building.  My parents said it’s not the building, it’s anywhere outside of New York.  I love New York.

When we got to their unit, we started to get settled in, and I got an odd email.  It was a notification of a Facebook message from an old elementary school friend, my Fifth Grade crush, someone I haven’t spoken with quite possibly since Middle School.  What was up with that?  She had messaged me about 20 minutes earlier, but we were so disconnected, that the notification didn’t push through right away.  She had seen me at the PBI Airport, or so she thought.  It had been over a decade, so she wasn’t sure if she recognized me.  Talk about the unfamiliar within the familiar.  I messaged her back to confirm that I had been there, and we exchanged a couple of messages throughout the night.

Then my brother and sister-in-law called, and we chatted with them for a while.  She spilled the beans on my trip to Machu Picchu next weekend.  I feigned umbrage, that she ruined the surprise, but my parents would have seen anyway when I closed out my Travelogue with “Next Stop: Peru.”  My mother soon went to bed, and I chatted with my father for another hour or so about the upcoming primaries.

He then went to bed, and I rested my eyes for about an hour before lighting up my Ardor and coming out to the balcony, where I proceeded to write this entry.  This whole thing was almost like a Seinfeld episode, I thought, and I wondered if this unfamiliar way of experiencing the familiar was to be my future, imaging my parents, like Jerry’s parents, moving to Florida and us only seeing each other when we flew back and forth between New York and Florida.  It was an odd thought.  On that note, I close.

No comments:

Post a Comment