Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, February 8, 2016

Florida 2016 - Day 3 - The Return Journey

2/8/16, “The Return Journey”

Palm Beach International Airport, Florida (PBI)

I’ve had flights cancelled before, but two in one trip, that might be a first.  I should not have time to write an entry with this dateline.  I should have been at the gate about half an hour before my flight.  Now, it will be at least 2 hours before I can get on an airplane back home.  I should have been flying to LGA, the most convenient airport to get to the office.  Now, I am flying to EWR, the least convenient one.  I should have been getting to office only an hour or so late.  Now, I will not get there until the afternoon.  Fortunately, I have a laptop with a full charge and VPN access, so I will be able to work remotely, but it is not the same.

After I closed last, night, we settled in for the game, taking my pizza and wings from Papa John’s out of the oven.  Better Ingredients, Better Pizza, Papa John’s.  It had been a long time since I had pizza from Papa John’s, and I was not disappointed.  I also began my process of drinking an entire 2-Liter bottle of Diet Pepsi.  The best part of the Super Bowl is usually the commercials, but they were extremely disappointing this year.  The best one was by Bud Light featuring Seth Rogen and Amy Schumer pretending to run for president, with an off-color joke about having a “big caucus.”

The game was so sloppy.  The Broncos won the game 24-10 with three field goals, a defensive touchdown, and one measly offensive touchdown (along with a two-point conversion).  If they had missed that two-point conversion, I would have won a lot of money in the office Super Bowl pool.  They made it, but I still will be able to cash in the bets I made with various people in favor of the Broncos, no small amount of money.  No one expected the Broncos to win, I did.  I knew that Peyton Manning wanted the glorious finish to his career so that he could retire on a high note.  The game was not glorious, but a W is a W.  When lists are made of the Greatest QB of all Time, his name will always be included in that conversation.

After the game, there was a special episode of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, which my father and I watched until I was ready to go sleep.  I set an alarm for the morning, 4:30 AM, or so I thought.  My mother had arranged a taxi to pick me up at 4:45 AM.  I figured that the taxi would be a failsafe to call me even if I overslept.

I woke up at 4:36 AM.  My alarm had not gone off.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  I had never pressed the “DONE” button to finalize the alarm.  I raced to get ready and heated up some pizza.  I headed downstairs.  It was now about 4:55 AM.  No taxi.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  I called the taxi company.  They had my reservation, and they asked if they would like to call the driver to find out where he was.  Something was cagey about their answer.  “Is he on his way?”  They once more offered to call the driver.  “It’s a yes or question, is he on his way?”  They finally admitted that he was not, that they had never sent him.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  I told them to send him and also ordered an Uber.  I would go with whichever came first.

The taxi came first, and we were soon at the airport.  It was 5:20 AM, about an hour before my flight.  I went to check-in.  They told me that my flight had been cancelled.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  They had put me on a flight for February 10th.  WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?!?!?!?  That was two days from now, not an option.  Eventually, they said they could put me on an 11:10 AM flight to Newark with a standby option for the 7:55 AM flight.  That was not the best, but it was better than being stuck here for two days.  I went outside to find a seat.  I found a nice bench, where I lit up an unlabeled Graycliff and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can start working remotely.  Andrew will get his 8 hours one way or the other.


New York, New York


Andrew got his 8 hours, 9 of them actually.  After I closed, I got straight to work, heading to security as soon as I finished my cigar.  I worked a little more from the gate.  Fortunately, they were able to put me on the 7:55 AM flight, which landed at Newark at 10:30 AM after an unadventurous flight.  It looked so familiar again, though it had been so long since I landed at EWR on a domestic flight.  I picked up a roast beef sandwich and headed outside, where I got a taxi.  I ate the sandwich en route and got some more work done, too.  I got to the office at 11:30 AM, not bad considering everything.  I put in about 6 and a half hours at the office, stepping outside around 1:30 PM, even though I didn’t get any food.

At 6:15 PM, I headed to the cigar store, and that was that.  I smoked my cigar and walked home with my suitcase.  I then sat in my chair, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  When I first saw my parents, after 6 weeks, the longest we had ever gone without seeing each other, it felt really weird.  Now, it’ll be another 5 weeks before we see each other again.  It’s definitely unfamiliar.  Next stop: Peru to see the ruins of Machu Picchu.

No comments:

Post a Comment