Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Peru - Day 4 - The Return Journey

2/16/16, “The Return Journey”

En route, NYC Airporter 604


It is raining in NYC, and I do not believe I will see sub-freezing temperatures or snow again this year, not until November.  The groundhog was right.  Winter is over.  He was just a week early.  The return journey was a particularly strenuous one, but, as that dateline attests, all’s well that end’s well.  I will be at the office no more than an hour or so late, and I have safely arrived back in the States with will my possessions and purchases intact.  I will soon be eating my favorite New York staple: a poppy seed bagel with cream cheese.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, says “Welcome to New York” like a poppy seed bagel, despite Taylor’s best efforts to make a song out of it.

After I left my hotel last night, it was no easy task to find a driver who would take me to the airport.  I was turned down by numerous drivers with what I have come to learn is a Latin American way of saying no: a wagging finger.  In English-speaking America, it would be an admonishment.  The irony was not lost on me, and I was left wondering why I was being admonished for wanting to go to the airport.  Finally, someone agreed, but he had no idea where he was going, and he got lost in a neighborhood that looked like it might have still had the original Incan roads and buildings.  He insisted it was the right direction, but I refused to believe that the road from the main plaza to the airport went through such an area.  It only cost us 10 minutes, and I was at the airport by 9:30 PM.

My flight was scheduled to depart just past midnight at 12:10 AM.  I went through security and border control with no issue and then went to the duty-free shop.  They had a few boxes of Montecristo No. 2 cigars, which were decently priced.  One problem.  They were just sitting out.  They weren’t humidified or temperature controlled.  I had no idea how many years they had been like that, and the boxes were sealed, so I couldn’t even examine them.  I was not going to spend the better part of a week’s salary on a box of questionable cigars.  I instead got a bottle of pisco and a bottle of Peruvian red.  I headed to the smoking bar, where I sat down, lit up my 2015 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write last night’s entry.  After I closed, I connected to the Wi-Fi through my laptop.  I had exactly 10 minutes to publish it and post it to Facebook before the free Wi-Fi would expire.  It took me just over 9 minutes.  I then headed to the gate, and our flight kept getting delayed.  We were unsure if the flight would ever even take off.

Finally, a little before 1 AM, we saw a happy sight, the wheelchair-bound passengers were being rolled onto the plane.  It was not long before everyone else was boarded, which included a very perfunctory search of our baggage.  After we took off, I soon fell asleep, waking up for the dinner service, a pasta dish with some Coke Zero, falling back asleep afterwards.  I didn’t wake up for breakfast, but a little after that I was wide awake as we prepared to make our descent.

I had an exit row seat in the middle bunch of seats, which was good because I had lots of extra leg room, but it was also annoying because people kept walking through, often hitting my leg and annoying me.  I started putting my seat up on the seatback in front of me to create a barrier that people could not cross.  I would later learn the issue.  The bathroom on the other side wasn’t working, so everyone on that side had to cross in order to use the bathroom.  Right before we made our descent I went to use the bathroom, and there was a cute girl in front of me.  Or, at least I thought she was cute, until I noticed her aquamarine toe nails.  She was not wearing any footwear, and she walked into the bathroom with her bare feet.  HOW DOES SOMEONE DO THAT?!?

Anyway, we soon landed, and I made my way through border control with no problem.  It was raining when I got outside, and I opted for the bus instead of a taxi.  The bus soon came, and I went to my favorite seat in the back, where I proceed to write this entry.  I put the seat in front of me down, but I was soon told they needed that seat.  Without that extra legroom, the bus ride is very uncomfortable.  If I am able to use it as a foot rest, though, it’s more comfortable than a taxi.

Alright, now for those reflections.  I think it would be fair to divide North America into three regions: the North, by which I mean US, Canada, Greenland, and Iceland; Central America, in which I include Mexico; and the islands.  Many of the islands are Spanish-speaking, but they sure more in common with each other and English-speaking parts of Central America (Belize), than they do with Spanish South America.  Having been to South America twice now, this is the first time I have seen the South American countryside.  Yes, it bears resemblance to the countrysides of Mexico and Costa Rica and Cuba, but it is really something else entirely.

The Indian culture is what unites these regions, but the Incan regions, to which I very much look forward to further exploring in my 30s, are very different than the Mayan and Aztec regions.  However, there are many things that unite the entire Spanish Americas, including small things.  One small thing is that vendors of fruit and beverages will approach you at slow traffic and offer to sell their wares.  The aggressive souvenir vending I am all too familiar with extended to restaurants here in this country.  People would try to get you to eat at their restaurant the same way they would try to sell you souvenirs.

The food was great, even the guinea pig, and I am very much looking forward to discovering Ecuadorian and Columbian cuisine on my next return to Spanish South America, or, perhaps, Venezualan cuisine, and I have a feeling I should go there sooner rather than later.  Either way, I have 10 countries left to discover on that continent, and I am very much looking forward to it.  On that note, I close, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: probably the Carolinas in March, a trip I have been saying I’ll take every March for three years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment