Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Peru - Day 2 - My Incan Valentine

2/14/16, “My Incan Valentine”

Machu Picchu, Peru (The Sanctuary of Machu Picchu)

Vistas don’t get much more iconic than this one.  I am situated by the guardhouse of the Incan City of Machu Picchu, looking down at the sanctuary straight ahead, with smoke covered mountains to either side, yet the sanctuary is completely clear.  This vista is another vista I will remember for my entire life.  The other New7 Wonders that I have thus far visited are Petra (just a bunch of carved stones), the Taj Mahal (just a big tomb), the Great Wall (well, that was pretty great), and Chichen-Itza (just a big pyramid).  This wins, by a longshot.  I don’t see Christ the Redeemer (just a big statue) or the Colosseum (just a big sports stadium) competing.  This is my “Grand Canyon moment.”

There is only one cultural vista that I have ever seen that could come close: The Sphinx and Great Pyramid of Giza.  However, that was surrounded by a desert.  This is surrounded by mountains, smoke-covered mountains that would put the ones in North Carolina to shame.  I can barely breathe, not because the view is breath-taking, but because of the elevation.  It is worth it.  It is so worth it.  Two flights, a taxi, a train, a bus, and a bit of a hike.  I left the cigar shop 36 hours ago.  This was no easy journey.   It was so worth it.

After I closed last night, I headed down for the drink service, and they were serving this Peruvian brandy.  At the elevation, the alcohol got to me very quickly.  Between the beer and the two servings of the Peruvian brandy (both pure and in a sour), I was toasted, utterly and royally toasted.  I didn’t care.  It wasn’t even 7 PM, but I had no activities planned for the night.  I didn’t even plan to go to sleep until 11:11 PM.  I could relax and enjoy myself.  So what if I was a little hungover for my early morning hike.  If I recount all the alcohol I had in 2016 thus far, I don’t think it was more than the equivalent of six servings.  In other words, I wound up drinking more tonight than I had thus far in all of 2016 combined.  Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but it’s close.

I went upstairs to publish my entry, relaxed a bit, then headed down for dinner.  Dinner was included with my room, as was a bottle of wine.  I looked through the menu and found what I wanted: loin of alpaca.  Jackpot!  I opted for that for my mine course along with an Andean appetizer sampler.  Perf.  Wow, the altitude is really getting to me.  I can barely think straight.  The appetizer sampler was delish, and I announced, “63,” with my first bite.  It had some local sauces, which I soaked up with my remaining bread.

Then came the alpaca, along with more cheese ravioli and fries.  I had gotten my chopsticks for just this occasion.  It is possible that I have become the first person to ever eat alpaca in Peru with chopsticks, though there is a bit of a tradition of Chinese cuisine here, so maybe the Chinese restaurants serve alpaca.  I messaged back and forth with a variety of friends as I ate my meal.  I only made it through two glasses of wine during my meal, but I was completely out of it.

I got a Peruvian appetizer sampler for dessert.  Then the coffee and petit fours.  I ate way too much to say the least.  I headed back to my room to get my computer bag and went outside with the rest of my bottle of wine.  I lit up a Partagas, this time finally announcing “63” for real, as I had my cigar, and watched the Republican debate.  Trump embarrassed himself in the first half.  He called both Bush brothers liars, blamed the elder brother for 9/11, refusing to give him credit keeping us safe for 7 years afterwards.  I need to pause now, as I am hogging the vista apparently.

Okay, I have relocated to a slightly less classic photo spot, but the vista is just as good.  Anyway, the younger Bush brother did a tremendous job defending his family against Trump’s attacks.  While Trump may have said what a large portion of the country feels, it is no way to win a Republican primary, but he has defied every bit of conventional wisdom, so who knows.  Apparently the online polls say he’s won the debate.  It’s actually final, after my slight relocate, the vista became more interesting again, as I was starting to tire of staring at the same angle for so long, though the fog is starting to come back in.   The two Senators continued to show their brilliance, but President Obama is a brilliant man, too, and they spent a lot of time arguing about who was a bigger supporter of deportation, both trying to eschew their previous stances on amnesty.  Dr. Carson once more proved he had no business running for President, and I expect that this is the time we’ll see him on a debate stage.

That just left Governor Kasich, by far the most electable candidate, possibly the only man on that stage that can unite both parties again, just as he has been doing for decades.  Democrats love him, and he’d deliver the entire Midwest and coal region.  However, tonight was the first time I began to believe that he could win a Republican primary.  He came in second in New Hampshire, and he has a good shot of a top three finish in South Carolina.  If Trump collapses, Kasich might be able to miraculously pull of a victory, and a President Kasich will bring our country together once more.  As the debate drew to a close, I headed back inside, and I figured I had finished the bottle of wine by then.  Not even close.  It wasn’t even half empty.

I fell asleep shortly after 11:11 PM, waking up around 5:30 AM.  I was still full from dinner, so I just got dressed, grabbing a piece of bread and some coffee, which I ate as I walked to the gate.  I expected it to be pretty much empty at 6 AM.  No such luck.  Two huge buses had pulled in, and the entrance was filled with tourists.  I got to the gate at 6 AM, but one problem: the fog.  I knew that I would not be able to see any kind of meaningful sunrise, but I hoped that I would still get a nice vista.  I began the grueling hike, up a steeped and curved path, stopping multiple times to catch my breath.  I finally made it to the guardhouse, just as the fog started to dissipate.  There it was.  That iconic vista.  I was floored.

There was no smoking in the sanctuary, so I knew I would have to be clever with my ceremonial picture.  I waited until no one was watching, got my water bottle ready, and lit up a Romeo y Julieta that came in a tubo.  I snapped a few ceremonial pictures and sat down at the viewpoint, where I proceeded to write this entry.  Within six minutes, I was told to put out the cigar.  That was fine.  It had served its purpose.  I could finish it back at the hotel.  I put the cigar back in the tubo.  I continued to write my entry until I was told to relocated, where I once more continued the entry, which I will now close so that I can head down to the sanctuary.


Aboard Vistadome 204, En route Machu Picchu-Ollantaytambo

Well, this train ride is in sharp contrast to the one I took yesterday on my journey to the sanctuary.  It is louder, more crowded, and just more rambunctious.  Also, apparently today is some kind of festival (not Valentine’s Day, something else), so there is a costumed dancer going up and down the aisle.  Everyone else seems to be enjoying it, I’m not.  I just want to get to my hotel in Lima.  It is very similar to the feeling I felt a year ago today when I just wanted to get to my hotel in El Paso, though it is for very different reasons.  A year ago today, I was actually depressed.  Today, I’m just tired and exhausted.

I need earplugs or something.  Okay, the dancing has stopped, I think.  Now they’re trying to sell alpaca stuff.  It is literally so loud I can barely think.  Oh, fuck, they’re doing some kind of fashion show with the alpaca clothes.  After I closed, I headed down to the sanctuary, but I didn’t imagine how it could be more magical than the vista from the guardhouse.  It wasn’t.  Besides, I was just wanted to get out of there so that I could finish my cigar and have some breakfast.  I wandered down and walked around a bit before taking the first turn back to the exit.


I then waited at the entrance with my cigar until the gift shop opened.  Meanwhile, I posted to social media and messaged my friends.  Being the only gift shop at the sanctuary, it was, of course, overpriced, so I only got the basics: two replicas, two keychains, a t-shirt, and a pin.






I then headed back to the hotel and retrieved my glass of wine that I had left unfinished from last night.  I brought it outside with me and finished my cigar, as I responded to a thread of emails about the debate with my father and his friends.  Oops, that is vague.  The people on the thread of emails were my father and his friends.  The topic was last night’s Republican debate.



I then headed down for breakfast, still working on that same glass of wine.  The spread was almost the same as the spread from tea yesterday afternoon, and I got a plate of breads, cheeses, and meats.  I ate that with my wine and some coffee.  This is hell.  This is literally hell.  This noisy fashion show is so unconducive to me writing my entry.  The walking, the clapping, the loud music, the hooting.  It certainly doesn’t want to make me buy any alpaca products, though I suppose I could use a new scarf.

The next course was the hot food, obviously I chose the Andean sampler, which had a bunch of good stuff on it.  I also had to get the desserts, as they were soon closing the buffet.  I would save that for later.  As I ate, I messaged back and forth with my Antarctica friend about our mutual experiences in Machu Picchu.  Also, Facebook had a special feature for Valentine’s Day, whereby you could “wrap” a message to be sent in the messenger app.  I shared with her some Valentine’s Day sentiments, of which she was very appreciative.

After breakfast, I went back up to my room and called my parents to discuss both the debate last night and Machu Picchu this morning.  Not having enough time for another cigar, I relaxed a bit before getting ready to leave, munching on my desserts meanwhile and starting another glass of wine.  There were still about two full glasses left in the bottle.  I checked out and went to the bus stop.  The bellboy from the hotel took my bags to the bus stop.  He told me to sit down.  There was a long line, and he said he would wait on line for me.  Now that’s good service!  He got a tip for sure.

It was a little before noon by the time I got to the village, and I wasn’t hungry enough for lunch, which would have been guinea pig, I shit you not.  I found a souvenir shop, where I loaded up on other souvenirs, for less than I spent at the Official souvenir shop.  I was so exhausted, and my mobility was limited at this point, both by the heat and the elevation, so exploring seemed a frutal quest, especially since I now had everything I needed.  The agent from the hotel had taken my suitcase and coat to the train station.  I just had my computer bag with me.

I found a nice quiet spot to enjoy a Davidoff Special R, one of my favs.  It was in the shade, but I was still overwhelmed.  Then the festival started, costumed people walking down the streets, people having water fights.  It was just crazy.  I continued my cigar before I made my way to the train station, where the hotel’s agent was waiting with my stuff.



The hotel was going to arrange a taxi to take me from the train station to Cusco for a bit then to the airport.  The price they had quoted just to the airport was perfectly reasonable, actually less than I paid on the journey to the sanctuary.  The agent had a number written on a sheet of paper, which was about twice than the original number.  That seemed reasonable enough to include the stop in Cusco.  I was then informed that that was in American dollars, not Peruvian sols.  Not happening.  That was four times what it should have been.  I asked how much to just go to the airport, the price did not go down much.

We made our way to the train, and he kept calling the hotel, seeing what they could do.  I asked if I could just get a taxi at the train station in Ollantaytambo.  He said I could, but some of the drivers there are dishonest.  Dishonest?!?  As if trying to charge me four times what the price should be was honest?  Eventually he was able to confirm a driver would pick me up at the original price.  I suppose I’ll have to negotiate with him directly to go into Cusco.  I just need to light up a cigar and take a ceremonial picture.  That’s it.

I got on the crowded and loud train and instantly knew that I was in hell.  I sat down in my seat and started to write another chapter in my novel, or, more accurately, novella.  I have now written three of my anticipated four chapters, each chapter should be 1000 words or less, unless I expand them, and I have left plenty of room in each chapter for expansion.  I then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as I believe we will soon be arriving at Ollantaytambo.  It certainly appears that we are encountering more signs of civilization.


Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport, Peru (CUZ)

Ah, perfect timing, and just enough time for a brief entry before I fly to Lima.  Everything went off without a hitch.  As soon as we disembarked at Ollantaytambo, my taxi driver was waiting for me at the entrance to the train station.  He took my bags, and we went to the parking lot.  He got the car, and we got on the road.  I figured we had a major time crunch.  It was 3:10 PM, my flight, the last flight to Lima, was at 7:40 PM.  I figured I needed to be at the airport at least an hour early, and the ride from the Cusco airport to Ollantaytambo yesterday had taken over two hours.

Best case I figured, I’d have enough time for a ceremonial picture and then straight to the airport.  My driver said the ride would be about an hour and a half.  If that was true, it would be great.  He said the best spot to stop would be the Plaza de las Armas.  That sounded good.  It was raining, but the rain soon stopped, and I lit up a Jaime Garcia.  My driver did not speak a word of English it seemed, but my Spanish was good enough for us to communicate during our time together.  It was a scenic drive that I had missed on the way in.

We got to Cusco a little before 5 PM, right on schedule, but there was a festival (or carnival, as he called it) on for Saint Valentine’s Day.  Apparently they celebrate it a little differently than we do in the States.  At this point, I had two very pressing biological needs that would need to be abated before my ceremonial picture.  One of them was hunger, the other could easily be taken care of at the restaurant as well.  We navigated the traffic, him dropping me off by the plaza at around 5:10 PM.  I figured that gave me close to an hour, enough time for a meal, a cigar, ceremonial pictures, and souvenirs, and to be back at the car by 6:10 PM and the airport by 6:40 PM.  I would need to find a restaurant where I could smoke to condense time.

As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to try the local specialty that my Antarctica friend had recommended to me: guinea pig.  Again, I shit you not.  I found a restaurant where I could smoke.  It had a balcony, and it served guinea pig.  Perf.  I ordered my guinea pig, along with some fries and an “Inca Cola.”  I went back to my seat and lit up a beat up Montecristo.  Everything was going perfectly.


The waitress soon brought me a plate with a giant rodent on it.  It tasted exactly as my friend had warned me: rodenty.  There was Wi-Fi at the restaurant, so I was able to get caught up while I ate.  My cigar had gone out, my lighter was empty, and I had run out of matches.  After I paid my check, I asked the waitress for a lighter or matches.  She found some matches and lit my cigar for me right in the restaurant, not that any cared.

I went down to take some ceremonial pictures and posted one, still in range of the restaurant’s Wi-Fi.  I then went in search of souvenirs.  I just wanted a keychain, and I found one, but I also bought some Peruvian cigars.  I got back to the car right on target, at 6:10 PM.  The ride to the airport was very short, and we were there before 6:30 PM.  He told me the price, much more reasonable than I expected, so I gave him a nice tip, 20%.  I checked in and, to my surprise, they also gave me my ticket to Lima.  I asked for an emergency exit aisle.  They had one.  Perf.

Reader, note that, I have hardly spoken a word of English since I got on the train at Machu Picchu.  Even to people who were clearly Anglican and speaking English to me, I spoke Spanish, unable to transition out of speaking Spanish.  Everything I have recounted in this entry was spoken in Spanish, other than my electronic communications.  I went through security, and then I had to walk down a flight of stairs to the gate, which seemed really sketchy.  I then found a seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as it is almost time to start boarding.


Lima, Peru


There are so many similarities between my last 24 hours here in Lima and my last 24 hours in Buenos Aires last January, and not just because I am smoking my 2014 Christmas Pipe, and not just because I am in the center of the Capital of a large South American country at the end of an epic trip.  Actually, wait, those are the main similarities.  Other than these two South American capitals, I also smoked this pipe in Giza, but there was no view in Giza, so I suppose this wins, since the Plaza de las Armas here is much more interesting than the place I sat in Buenos Aires.  Actually, Lima as a whole seems to be more interesting than Buenos Aires, so I relish my day in the capital tomorrow.

I can stay up as late as I want tonight and sleep as late as I want tomorrow and still have plenty of time to explore.  I chose a shitty hotel in a great location, but I won’t spend much waking hours in the hotel.  Location is what matters.  Everything is right here.  Oh, right, I wanted to expound on my use of the term, “The Capital,” and I’m not sure if it’s a Hunger Games thing or if I just use it because that’s how I think of the capital city.  Often if I’m describing a trip to someone, I’ll make reference to “spending a night in the capital” or “heading back to the capital.”  That’s all Lima is to me: the capital of Peru.  No, my use of the term predates my renewed interest in the Hunger Games, though I do not doubt that Mockingjay cemented my use of it.

Anyway, it seems that my arrival in the capital with a full day of nothing planned other than exploring the capital has come to signify the end of a trip.  Buenos Aires, of course, provides an excellent example, but I had similar last day experiences in Panama City, Tehran, Delhi, and I would have had one in San Jose if I hadn’t chosen to fly home earlier instead.

After I closed at the airport, we soon boarded.  It was a big plane, but we had to walk out and use the stairs.  Right before we took off, I moved to the row in front of me, which was more open, intending to stretch out and nap during the flight, which I found myself unable to do, though I did rest my eyes a bit.  Before long, they announced that we were making our descent.  There it was: the capital, and it was splendid, even from the air, especially from the air.  Also, I had cellular data service again.

We got off the plane, by the stairs, and headed to a bus.  Throughout this process, as I got caught up on social media, I saw something(s) that left me truly distraught.  I will provide no details about the specifics here, as they will be relegated to my personal journal entry.  I was truly distraught, though, and it was all I could think about for the next hour or so.  It left me mopey on Valentine’s Day just like last year, though for a different reason this time.

I got a taxi that would take me to my hotel, and I put on the Fearless album by Taylor Swift, just as I had listened to a year ago today when I was all mopey on Valentine’s Day.  I reflected on the difference and everything that had changed in the past 365 years.  I am certainly a stronger person than I was a year ago today.  I told myself that I would allow myself to mope until we reached the hotel.  I didn’t even need that long.  Once I started seeing the historic buildings of downtown Lima I was good.  We soon got to the Congress, and it became apparent that my driver had no idea where he was going or where the hotel was.  Eventually, thorugh my Google Maps, we found it.

The hotel was a piece of shit, and they didn’t have a record of my reservation, despite me clearly having a Hotels.com confirmation email.  She just took down my name and passport number and gave me a key, didn’t even ask for a credit card.  The hotel was shit, seriously.  Three stars was a stretch, and I recalled my very similar experience last January in Buenos Aires.  I changed into some casual clothes, still playing Taylor.  I asked her to promise me that she’d never leave me, “Forever and always,” I demanded.  She just kept singing.  I collapsed on my bed sideways and lamented once more what I had seen.

I then went into the bathroom and saw something that completely lifted my spirits.  It was the most difficult Official Uing situation I had ever seen.  There was less than a foot between the bowl of the Uer and the tub.  How was I supposed to take an Official U?  Well, the answer was that my feet would fit under the bowl, but it was still no easy feat.   I then grabbed my computer bag and got a lighter from the front desk before heading towards the more interesting parts of town, still playing Taylor.

I had to choose between Congress and the main plaza.  I chose the main plaza, the views being better there.  It was still alive with couples still celebrating Valentine’s Day, not being shy about showing some PDA, or, as it would be in Spanish, MAP.  I took some pictures, non-ceremonial (those can wait for tomorrow), still playing Taylor.  I then did a flashback post, joking that Taylor was my Valentine again this year, perhaps even “forever and always.”  For my readers who do not get this joke I keep making, “Forever & Always” is one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs.  I then found an empty bench in front of the presidential palace, where I sat down, lit up my 2014 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, still playing Taylor.  On that note, pun intended, I’ll close so that I can try to find some food and head back to the hotel to publish this and also write my personal entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment