Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Florida 2016 - Day 1 - One Night in Nassau

2/6/16, “One Night in Nassau”

Nassau, The Bahamas


The flight from Florida to Nassau is shorter than an episode of “The X-Files,” and I have been to Florida well over 20 times, yet this marks the first time I have been to The Bahamas.  One night in Nassau, that was all I needed to check this country off my list, but what a night it was.  It is now past 1 AM, and I arrived at my hotel, the world-famous Graycliff Inn, here a little after 7 PM, six hours ago.

I have not been more than a block away from my hotel since I arrived.  I am staring out at the Government House, which I call the “Pink House,” the brightly colored governor’s mansion, smoking my 2010 Christmas Pipe, just as I did in Quebec, Istanbul, Lake Placid, the Bransfield Strait, and Belmopan.  While it is nigh impossible to compete with that night on the Bransfield, tonight lays waste to the relatively lackluster nights I experienced in those other locales.  After I closed last night, I published my entry.  I then responded lengthily to an email from my father’s friend.

It was past 3 AM by the time I collapsed into bed and close to 11 AM when I finally woke up.  It was a bit of a rush, since we needed to go to visit my grandmother, and we would need to leave there by 2 PM for me to make my train.  The pain in my foot, which has now started to abate, had gotten much worse, and I could barely walk.  We stopped at Einstein Bagels for brunch I guess it was at this point, and I ate in the car.  I also further explained the details of my solution to the soda problem.

I had finished eating by the time we got to my grandmother’s place, and, once more, I could barely walk.  They provided me with two things that would help in abating the issue with my foot pain.  First, we iced my foot.  Second, they gave me a cane, which helped a lot.  After about an hour there, we made our way to the train station.  The train was right on time, it had WiFi, and there was an outlet next to me, all good.  I went to continue the email debate with my father’s friend.  I wanted to plug in my laptop.  Wait, noooooooo.  I had left the charger at my parent’s place.  With my previous laptop, that would have been a disaster, but this beaut has over six hours of battery life.

We arrived at the airport station a little behind schedule, and the shuttle bus to the airport had already left, or so it seemed.  That didn’t make any sense.  Whom were they shuttling if the train was late?  It turned out there were two buses around the same time, but the driver for the second one was missing.  I had almost no cash on me, so a taxi didn’t seem an option.  Fortunately, someone else there was able to drive it.  I went to check-in for my flight, a little tight on time, but still comfortable.  It was taking too long.  What was wrong?

Well, it turned out that my flight was cancelled.  They wanted to put me on the next flight, which would not get me to Nassau until after 9 PM.  That was not an option.  I would arrive too late for dinner.  I told them to refund my ticket, and I would take the JetBlue flight at 5:12 PM.  That worked out, but it meant I had to swap my return flight, too.  Fine, whatever, I just wanted to get to the Straw Market before it closed at 8 PM, watch the debate, and have dinner at the hotel restaurant.  I would have time in the morning to take daylit ceremonial pictures.

The flight was unadventurous and short.  The immigration line was practically nonexistent.  Reader, this is a country that is dedicated to tourism, and that means making border control as painless as possible.  I took a taxi from the airport to my hotel, getting there, as I mentioned, a little after 7 PM.  I checked in, and the receptionist offered to switch my room to the front of hotel so that I wouldn’t have to walk as much.  That was very convenient, and the view was better, too, along with having the balcony.  I would need to wear nice clothes for dinner, but that was not for two hours, so I changed into my shorts and lit up a Cohiba.

I headed to the Government House, which is next to the hotel, and took a few ceremonial pictures there.  The Straw Market had actually closed at 6 PM, but it would be open at 8 AM tomorrow morning.  That’s island culture.  They follow the schedule of the cruise ships.  Everyone is back on the ship by 6 PM, but they damn well better be open when people get off the ship the next day.



I went back to my room, still with plenty of cigar left, the Republican Debate starting at 8 PM.  I watched a bit of the debate, surprised to see new frontrunner Marco Rubio getting so torn apart.  Whatever gains he made in Iowa seemed to have disappeared tonight.  It will all come down to the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday.  We will know a lot more after that.  I changed into my shirt and slacks and shoes and headed downstairs in time for a 9:30 PM seating, the latest I could arrive.  There was a cigar roller there, and a piano lounge where you could smoke.

I planned it all out.  After dinner, I would go there with some coffee and smoke a cigar before SNL began at 11:30 PM, and then I would do my Christmas Pipe and entry afterwards.  I got my local beer and ordered from the overpriced menu, opting for conch chowder, local grouper, and mashed potatoes, along with a guava duff that I would bring back to my room for dessert.  I continued to watch the debate on my phone during dinner, which killed my phone’s battery.

After dinner, I got the cigar from the roller, and awaited my coffee in the lounge.  I was in heaven.  I was smoking a freshly rolled Graycliff cigar at the Graycliff Inn.  There was an older couple sitting near me.  The woman was stunning.  A 9, easily.  I knew from the way the way they were talking that they were in their 50s, but they looked much younger.  We started talking a bit, and she tried to take a picture of me with me phone, which was overly complicated by the fact that my phone was now below 6%, and I had to use an alternate camera app.

She made a joke about “young people and your fancy gadgets.”  She guessed that I was 30.  I said that I was 28.  “What are you, 34?”  It was exactly what she wanted to hear.  “Bless your heart,” she said, adding that she was old enough to be my mother.  No way.  She said that she was 48.  Her husband made it clear to me that she was lying.  I told her that she didn’t look it.  At 58, she was only three years younger than my mother, so definitely old enough to be my mother.  I wonder if she will go home and brag to her friends that a 28-year-old couldn’t keep his eyes off of her.  She took some photos of me with her phone and took down my number so that she could text them to me when she got back to the States.

My phone died after I sent my ceremonial 11:11 Snap.  I didn’t care.  There was no way I was leaving this conversation, even if it meant missing the beginning of SNL.  I had finished my coffee at this point and had switched to a local rum, which was overly sweet.  The cigar was amazing.  We started talking about Hot Springs National Park, which is in their home state of Arkansas.  I said, “I don’t understand how that’s a National Park.  It’s just a bunch of bathhouses with some grass behind it.”  The husband almost died.  He said that that was the funniest thing he ever heard.  At 11:30 PM, they went outside to wait for their taxi, and I raced up to my room to watch SNL.

Now it was my turn to almost die. With Larry David hosting and his doppelganger Bernie Sanders making a guest appearance, it was one of the funniest episodes I had ever seen.  Afterwards, I headed out to the balcony, moved the chair to the end to get a good view of the Government House, and sat down, where I lit up my 2010 Christmas Pipe and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.  Most people don’t understand the way I travel.  Their idea of a trip to the Bahamas would have been the beach or going to one of the big resorts like Atlantis.  No, for me, this is perfect.  Even though it was ostensibly about getting a stamp in my passport and a flag pin, tonight has been one of the most memorable and enjoyable nights of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment