Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Steel and Coal - Day 1 - A Very Iconic Day

7/24/16, “A Very Iconic Day”

Charleston, West Virginia


This is a completely unremarkable vista in every way.  In fact, if it were not for the building located a mile behind me, of which there are only 55 other similar buildings in the country, this would be a completely unremarkable dateline.  Of those 56 buildings, I have been to 33 of them, when we drive to the one behind us in the morning, it will bring my count to 34.  It is also the closest such building to my home that I have yet to visit.  I believe that my reader should realize that I mean our countries capitol buildings.  The national Capitol in Washington, along with the 55 state and territorial capital buildings spread across the country.  Within a few years, I will have visited all of them.

That is the only reason we are spending tonight in this very boring city called Charleston, unlike its far more fascinating twin in South Carolina.  However, the rest of the day was far more interesting than this boring vista of I-64.  In all, as planned, it was a very iconic day, though it was also a very stressful day.  It is very hard travelling with any kind of schedule with more than two people.  I have learned that the hard way far too many times.  Dutch time multiplies exponentially with more than two people.  It is just very near unworkable.

After I closed last night, I headed up to the room and was soon asleep, only to be woken at 5 AM by one my friends’ work associates calling about some autographing tip.  That fucked up my sleep, making it difficult for me to get back to sleep, causing me to oversleep by half an hour.  We were on a tight schedule, and every minute counted.  We needed to get to West Virginia for dinner, to their “most iconic restaurant” (a drive-in), before it closed at 10 PM.  This would be a tight schedule.  We got ready, and we were out the door around 8 AM, heading straight to Strip District for breakfast.

We would begin the day with breakfast at Pennsylvania’s most iconic restaurant and end it with dinner at West Virginia’s most iconic restaurant.  These were the type of places that Anthony Bourdain would eat at or would be featured on such shows as “Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins”.  When Stu and I started travelling together, I would want to go the restaurant with the highest rating on TripAdvisor or Zagat’s.

Now, it’s become this list courtesy of Thrillist (https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/most-famous-restaurants-in-america-iconic-restaurants-in-every-state).  I have now eaten at 18 of the 51 restaurants on this list, and I will be going to the one in Texas with my mother in October.  It is an incredible list, and I hope to visit all 51 eventually.  I also just learned that there is now a list for all EU countries.  That is dangerous knowledge to have.  I am pleased to say that I had one of the best meals of my life at the United Kingdom’s entry on that list: Dinner by Heston Blumenthal.

Crap, it is 1 AM, and I am dead tired, and I have still not even recounted my breakfast.  We made our way to DeLuca’s Diner, situated in the heart of the Strip District, surrounded by souvenir shops.  There was a bit of a line, but it was worth it.  I got their famous mixed grill, consisting of steak, eggs, potatoes, and vegetables, along with some toasted Italian bread and coffee in a keepsake mug.  It was delicious.

After breakfast, we walked to Pittsburgh’s most famous cigar shop, Leaf and Bean, which had a very disappointing selection of cigars.  I opted for an Ashton Symmetry (the leaf) and more coffee (the bean).  We found a picture of Reagan with the words that Trump has taken to repeating: “Let’s make America great again.”  Reagan did it, and I have the utmost faith in Trump’s ability to do it again.  In 1984, it was morning in America again.  Thursday night, Trump gave what has been called his “Midnight in America” speech at the convention.  I only hope that, in 2020, it will be morning in America again.

We took a ceremonial picture outside and got some souvenirs before heading to famous, historic Point State Park, which housed a fort from the French and Indian Wars (fought against the French and the Indians, not fought between the French and the Indians).  It was located at the forks of the Ohio River, the famed Three Rivers point.  We saw Heinz Field and PNC Park across the river.  We were in a rush at this point, already an hour behind schedule, and made our way to Kennywood.

Stu had arranged for a guided tour of the park, which expedited us through the first few rides.  This is one of America’s oldest amusement parks with many rides almost a hundred years old.  It is, of course, a National Historic Landmark, so I finished my cigar outside the entrance for a ceremonial picture.  We enjoyed the first few rides before our guide left us.  It was past 1 PM by the time we finished all the roller coasters, and Stu still wanted to do four more water rides.

I had hoped to be out of the park by 2 PM, 3 PM at the lastest.  That no longer seemed an option.  We could leave at 5 PM and still make dinner in time, but that was even starting to look unlikely, and I wanted to stop at the high school from “Perks of Being a Wallflower” and at Fallingwater, too, which required the 3 PM departure.  I asked him to give up one of the water rides.  He refused, the exact same I would have refused if he told me to give up one of the National Park Sites tomorrow.  We went back to the car so that I could get my stuff and have a cigar and write my entry while he did the water rides.  First, though, we would have to try the famous Potato Patch French fries.  As what got the fries, something remarkable happened.  A thunderstorm hit.  That meant the water rides would be closed for the rest of the day.  Fortunate for me, devastating for Stu.

Still, somehow, it was 4:30 PM by the time we left the park, leaving enough time to stop at the high school from “Perks”, but not enough time to stop at Fallingwater.  I suppose I will have to visit it after it gets it World Heritage Site designation.  I will not go into the details of the drive to Frostop Drive-In in West Virginia, but we hauled ass for the drive, even breaking 100 at one point for a short spurt.


We arrived at 9:30 PM.  The food was great.  I got their famous slaw dogs and homemade root beer in a frosted mug, chased by an ice cream.  She was quite pleased that we had come from New York for this.  After dinner, I gave Stu the wheel and fell asleep during the short drive to our hotel in Charleston.  We settled in at the hotel, and I then headed down to the bench outside, where I lit up my Ardor, smoked in so many famous places across the world, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and plan our day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment