Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, July 4, 2016

The Maritimes - Day 3 - The Fourth of July

7/4/16, “The Fourth of July”

Luneburg, Nova Scotia

The Fourth of July has become a special day for me in terms of my travels.  It was on this day, four years ago, when I set out to see the world, sitting with my family outside my cabin at Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky.  I decided I was going to see the world, and I would start with the United States and Canada.  Every US State and Canadian province, I promised myself, by the time I turned 30, which was a little over five years away.  I was 24 at the time.  I had been to exactly 2 Canadian Provinces at that point, and Kentucky had marked my 40th state.  I am now one state and one province away from those goals.

I would also see every US and Canadian World Heritage Site, two more goals.  On that account, I was even further away.  My 30th birthday is 14 months away, and I am well on track to visit all the remaining ones in that time period.  Over the next few months, I would add more goals that would relate to my travel goals around the world.  In the end, I would add thirteen more goals to the list, a total of seventeen goals.  Reader, if you have ever wondered the reasoning behind the URL of my blog, you now have your answer.

While my trips would take me all around the world, in honor of that night, I have always reserved the Fourth of July for a US or Canadian World Heritage Site.  “The Fourth is for Plaques!” I have said more times than once, both to myself and out loud.

In 2013, I went to Wood Buffalo National Park in the Northwest Territories.  I flew to Edmonton the night before and woke up early on the Fourth to drive 16 hours to the site, listening to Taylor Swift’s new album (Red) nonstop.  I learned almost every song by heart.  The sun would not set until 11:30 PM that night that far north, and I made it to the Plaque around 11 PM.  I was not the only one there.  I took my ceremonial pictures and then wandered down the trail, in my shorts and flips, and was rewarded with purple arms and legs from the swarm of mosquitos that followed me.

The next year, 2014, my best friend and I went to Alaska.  We didn’t find a Plaque that day, only a hanging certificate, but we spent the day cruising Glacier Bay before flying back to Juneau.  Last year, 2015, my mother and I were on our last great summer road trip adventure.  We spent the Fourth in Yellowstone, driving from one end of the park to the other.  We found the Plaque, outside a restroom, the worst possible place for it, but we found it.  That was where I got the shirt I’m now wearing.

This year, it is back to Canada for the Fourth, and, once more, I have been listening to Red the entire trip.  I have found two Plaques today, and I have done everything I wanted to do in the Maritimes.  I got my flag pins.  I saw all three World Heritage Sites.  I got my souvenirs (though not the ones from here yet).  I have said, “Maritimes Complete.”  In spite of the additional hiccups, the trip has worked out rather well.  I saw Plaques on the Fourth.  That’s what mattered most.  I will see Miguasha another time.  As soon as I finish this entry, I will make my way back to Halifax, and I will be flying home first thing tomorrow morning, then straight to the office.  This site has represented my last activity of the trip, other than possibly dinner tonight, and the trip now draws to a close.


After I closed last night, I went back to the hotel, and they had a nice patio with a bonfire, and couches.  I wondered if I would sleep outside on one of the couches.  The weather was perfect for it.  I lit up an Ardor and published my entry, while I had some tea from inside.  After that, I changed into my pajamas and grabbed a coffee to bring back outside.  I lit up a Joya de Nicaragua.  It was past midnight, but people kept coming by around the hotel.  After the cigar, I still had been seeing people, so I decided against sleeping outside.

I went back inside and fell asleep, waking up shortly before 7 AM.  I had calculated that I had needed a hard 7 AM departure (as in, on the road at 7 AM, not out of the hotel at 7 AM) if I wanted to do the coast drive.  I had a coffee and muffin before I left, and I was already 20 minutes behind schedule, but I made up some time on the road, all of which I lost at the Welcome to Nova Scotia VC.


I lit up a Fuente for the drive to the Nova Scotia border, but the Welcome sign was only accessible by going into the VC.  Somehow, that cost me 20 minutes.  I then lit up a Tatuaje TAA Exclusive, and I stopped for gas after that cigar.  I looked at the peninsula drive and wondered if it was worth it.  The person at the gas station confirmed that that drive was too far inland to see the coast.  I would skip, and I’m glad I did.  It gave me far more time than I had budgeted for the two WHS, and I needed those extra hours.  I lit up a La Aroma de Cuba Jefe, and that brought me to Grand Pre.

I had budgeted 15 minutes for the site.  In the end, I used up well over and hour more than my budget.  It was fine, though, since my new schedule allowed me to spend as much time as I wanted at these two WHS.  Grand Pre was not, as I had thought, just a church.  It was a landscape that was a great example of Acadian culture.

The church was just the most prominent building.  I went to the VC and found out that the Plaque was at the top of the hill.  That was also where the inscription photo was taken.  I walked up the hill and found someone to take my picture at the Plaque.  Figuring out the spot of the inscription photo was slightly more challenging, but I had some clues from the angles, and I soon found the exact spot.  I had lit up a Montecristo after I took the pictures at the Plaque, and the wind was brutal.  I had a lot of trouble holding my printout for the ceremonial picture, but, in the end, I did.

I then walked back down to the hill and took some ceremonial pictures there, too.  Then, into the VC to get my souvenirs, and straight to Lunenburg.  I stopped for some coffee and a cake, but the cake was too sweet, so I only had three bites.  I lit up a San Cristobal to pair with the coffee, both of which nearly lasted until I arrived at Lunenburg.




I easily found the building that was in the foreground of the inscription photo and parked nearby.  Like with Grand Pre, I was confused about Lunenburg.  It was not inscribed for the waterfront.  Instead, it was inscribed because it was the best surviving example of a planned British Colonial town with a grid layout.  The charming waterfront had nothing to do with the inscription.  When my parents were here, they bought me a paperweight with the town’s logo on it that said it was a WHS.  I tried in vain to find another one, but I failed.  I then headed to the town hall, which was next to the Plaque.

The setup for the Plaque was beautiful, and it gave Old Quebec a run for its money.  One problem, there was no one to take the picture.  There were two women around my age with a bunch of children (doubtful all theirs), and I could not ask them to take their eyes off the children to take my picture.  I kept waiting for someone, but no one showed up.  Eventually, the father came, and I walked over to him and asked him to take my picture.  He did.  That was it.  All the World Heritage Site Plaques in the Maritimes.

I headed back down the hill to the waterfront and found a place in view of the iconic red building from the inscription photo and got some battered scallops and beer from Halifax.  It was all really good.  I then headed to the docks.  I realized that the inscription photo was actually taken from a boat, not from the docks.  I lit up a Trinidad and did the best that I could to recreate the picture from the docks.  After I took my ceremonial pictures, I made my proclamation with no pomp or circumstance.  “Nova Scotia Complete.  Maritimes Complete.”

A year from today I will be able to proclaim, “Eastern Canada Complete.”  I walked back up the hill to take more ceremonial pictures around town and then back down the hill to find a nice spot in view of the iconic red building.  I found a spot that had a good view, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get my souvenirs and head back to Halifax for my last night in the Maritimes (possibly ever).


Halifax, Nova Scotia


The sun has set on my last day in the Maritimes, and I will be leaving for the airport to fly home in less than six hours.  This is my last night in the Maritimes.  Writing this entry is how I will forever remember the Maritimes.  It is twilight’s last gleam, but there are no rockets’ red glare.  To see those, we would need to look in the opposite direction, back towards New York and Philadelphia.  If I have my geography correct, I am facing the whole of the Maritimes.  Parts of New Brunswick, PEI, and, of course, Nova Scotia, are all within my line of sight.  Obviously I can’t see it, but that is the direction I am facing as I sit on this rocky shore.

I will properly reflect on the Maritimes as a whole tomorrow, but, for now, it is sufficient to say that the Canadian Maritime provinces are one of my favorite parts of the world, but then, so, too, is almost all of Canada.  This is a beautiful vista, and I will be loath to leave it once I finish my entry.  Actually, the cigar is my limiting reactant, as I will need to wait until I finish my cigar before I get my ice cream, and I want to get my ice cream before I go back to the hotel.  That means, reader, you will have the pleasure of my company for some more time.  There really is not much to write.  Other than dinner, almost nothing happened between the time I closed in Lunenburg and the time I sat down to write this entry here in Halifax.  Actually, I do need to draw some power to my phone from my laptop.

After I closed in Lunenburg, I went in search of souvenirs and a club soda.  I found both.  I could not find the paperweight, but I did find a pin with the same logo and verbiage.  That was good.  After I got my club soda, which I downed while I was paying for it, I headed back to the car.  It was slightly over an hour to my hotel in Halfiax, and I was spent.  The car was blazing hot, so I blasted the AC.  I then lit up a very special edition Davidoff to celebrate my last drive and having said “Maritimes Complete.”

Before I knew it, I was at the hotel.  I checked in and brought all my stuff out of the car.  I was ready to pass out and relaxed for a bit before I headed out to dinner.  I had chosen a very-well reviewed restaurant called The Five Fisherman.  It was a very disappointing experience.  I was ready for an epic evening, and it was all going to start with that dinner.  I saw they had outdoor seat, so I asked for a table outside.  They told me it would be 10-15 minutes.

I walked up to the citadel and took some pictures there of the view from the top of the city before walking back.  It was 30 minutes before they were ready to seat me.  I also learned that the outdoor menu was a pared down version of the highly rated upstairs menu.  If I had sat upstairs, I probably would have already been seated and had my appetizer by then.  I was very frustrated, but I wanted to sit outside.  If I had known all of this information from the beginning, my calculus would have changed.  That was what upset me most, not just that I had lost a precious half an hour, when I was fighting time already to make sure I could get three full REM cycles in before I left for the airport.  I sat outside, and the service was bad.

I ordered the local whiskey, called Glen Breton, and the pour was stingy and overpriced.  I was now on the verge of anger.  Fortunately, the food was good enough to make up for it.  The waitress promised me that everything I ordered was from Nova Scotia, and I wasn’t entirely sure to believe her, since I hadn’t heard of fresh salmon coming from Nova Scotia before, but I suppose it was possible.  My appetizer was baked oysters, and the salmon dish was really good.  Disappointed with the service, I undertipped, something I almost never do.

It was 9:30 PM at this point, and I wanted to be in bed by 10:30 PM.  That won’t happen.  11 PM is looking a challenge.  I lit up my VSG and walked to the waterfront, the opposite end from where I was last time.  I was glad it was still the blue hour, which provided for a great establishing photo for this entry.  I climbed down the rocks to find a great spot to sit along the water, and I faced the direction of the rest of the Maritimes, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as my cigar is almost done, and I want to get that ice cream for my walk back to the hotel, where I will publish and then pass out for, hopefully, enough time that, combined with an extra REM cycle on the plane (and maybe some more sleep on the bus from the airport), will allow me to properly function at work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment